Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

croadyman

Given our budget and pressing need to sort multiple areas we could only hope we might and that's a big might be in the mix. Bayern can afford him and we can't. Levy would ride us sideways in terms of a fee for Kane. Thats something we couldn't be involved in. Do that and you can't add to other areas. The club and you might be regretting it but you move on. Who knows what players come into the fore next season. Players come and go. Like Kim Min Jae its not meant to be.
Only way I can move on from this is one of these three things happening

Jassim gets the club
Loan deal for Neymar
Crazy bid for Tchouameni

Let's face it none of those are gonna happen

JagUTD

It's the level of the team, not cherrypicking players.

How many goals did they score before Haaland even rocked up at the Etihad? Bonkers amounts. Far more than we have done in a long, long time.

City keep the ball better than we do, create more opportunities and score more goals - it's very clear. They added Haaland on top of the finished article. Kane would be added to a developing side with many players that are still not at the level.
All I am saying is United create plenty of chances but lack the person to finish them. Kane would have solved that problem.

Tarrou

I think the club was 100% correct not to pursue Kane

We knew Levy was against selling to us, and we really had no idea what it would take to get him

so if we held on, we'd be pushing all our business back to the end of the window, as we wouldn't be sure of our budget for other targets

doing it this was we've secured our three main targets, and have time to sort out maybe one more if we can sell some deadwood

and Levy might not have sold to us if we even bid like 120m, so it would have been very Woodwood-esque to go down that path and risk ruining a summer window for a small chance

JagUTD

Well that proved to be absolute fecking BS and so much for looking likely to stay eh SSN
Tbh the article I read was posted 45 minutes ago and I didn't click through to the twitter link at first, but having done so it was the story from earlier.

croadyman

Why would United regret it ? This is like a " self stabbing in the eye" competition.
Levy wasn't selling to us period was made clear at start of window so Utd, with a 1000% more info than any of us, bowed out.

What you want " Kane Snubs Manchester to Bayern ". Anyhows, ETH is the sum of a parts man is better than the glory signings.
The latter we have been doing for a decade. Woodie is gone and we aren't dancing to anyones tune any longer.

The players we are bidding on already want to come.
If you were shown an in-house brief "Kane was asked and he nor family wanted Manchester" would that change your view ?
Yeah if I could see a club brief stating that was the case then can make peace with it and move on but let's face it that won't materialise

JagUTD

I agree. I think Bruno’s assist stats would be ridiculous if he actually had a half decent striker to feed the last 3 years. There’s a compilation of some of the gaping chances our players have missed which should have been assists for him.
It would have been incredible to watch next season.

Abraxas

All I am saying is United create plenty of chances but lack the person to finish them. Kane would have solved that problem.
I agree with the general sentiment. He would have massively improved our finishing and our team as a result.

Just not the idea we would provide similar to the way City do for Haaland. I just don't think we're at the same level despite some good individuals. I take on board if he was providing clever movement it would add something to our side as well, and give our attacking players more to aim for. However ultimately we're still a far more stilted team in possession than they are. They play with a fluidity and control we don't. Ultimately it's there on paper, in every attacking and technical area they seem to outdo us and Haaland walked into that situation to begin with, ready made. I think even ETH would say we need to improve our overall play, it's not just for the striker to parachute in and solve, some things require the team cohesion and technical level to be better and I think that's why we continue to see quite a high level of transfers.

glasgow 21

Yeah if I could see a club brief stating that was the case then can make peace with it and move on but let's face it we never will
Let face it a more positive possibility than folk stating we shouldn't have went in for Hojlund who, actually from the get go, wants to be here.

Chief123

It would have been incredible to watch next season.
I’m honestly more excited about the prospect of Hojlund than I would have been with Kane.

I can just envisage the amount of thread balls both Bruno and Mount will play for Hojlund and Rashford to run on to. It’s going to be a treat to finally have a striker with rapid pace. The last time we had anyone this quick as a striker was probably Louis Saha.

KanieKaned

Only way I can move on from this is one of these three things happening

Jassim gets the club
Loan deal for Neymar
Crazy bid for Tchouameni

Let's face it none of those are gonna happen
1) Jassim is the most likely of the three you've listed. Regardless of the millions and billions in his or his states back pocket our budget won't increase massively. We could clear the debt and that's great but right and now absolutely nothing is changing.

2) Neymar can get fkked. He is nothing like the player he was at Barca, if he was then maybe albeit on massive wages. That player right there is trouble IMO.

3)N See point one. We won't be able to financially pull that off with how the books are looking and won't be changing even if Jassim takes overall control. I also don't see Madrid selling Tchouameni with him being part of the long term for them and they don't sell unless a player is beginning their wind down. .

JagUTD

I agree with the general sentiment. He would have massively improved our finishing and our team as a result.

Just not the idea we would provide similar to the way City do for Haaland. I just don't think we're at the same level despite some good individuals. I take on board if he was providing clever movement it would add something to our side as well, and give our attacking players more to aim for. However ultimately we're still a far more stilted team in possession than they are. They play with a fluidity and control we don't. Ultimately it's there on paper, in every attacking and technical area they seem to outdo us and Haaland walked into that situation to begin with, ready made. I think even ETH would say we need to improve our overall play, it's not just for the striker to parachute in and solve, some things require the team cohesion and technical level to be better and I think that's why we continue to see quite a high level of transfers.
Fair enough. Probably a bit optimistic to suggest we are similar but certainly capable of supporting a player of Kane's quality.

Interestingly Bruno's tally last season was the highest ever recorded since Opta started collecting chance creation data. Let's hope Hojlund takes advantage of this one man supply line over the coming years.

Remember the geese

Weirdly I have the opposite view - whenever I watched him for Everton he was very good. I think a lot of Everton fans would agree with that assessment. Obviously not Harry Kane good but he has a lot of good qualities. Without injuries and more regular non sub appearances (and crucially no Conte) I think he'll do very well.
Just think he is what he is. A £50m attacker. Pretty average.

JagUTD

I’m honestly more excited about the prospect of Hojlund than I would have been with Kane.

I can just envisage the amount of thread balls both Bruno and Mount will play for Hojlund and Rashford to run on to. It’s going to be a treat to finally have a striker with rapid pace. The last time we had anyone this quick as a striker was probably Louis Saha.
Fingers crossed!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Pretty sure the chance of him joining United was close to none after we got Hojlund. He doesnt want comptetition and wants as many goals possible for himself. But Ten Hag isnt that kind of manager as we've seen with Ronaldo. Often times he prefers younger players with energy up front and Hojlund has that, which makes him a competitor for Kane if he joins.

Remember the geese

Why are you so certain about that and do wonder if deep down Utd are regretting their decision
Because Levy wouldn't have sold him to us at the price they have accepted from Bayern and we would have refused to pay a premium. Zero regret because it was never an option. If we would have deluded ourselves that there was a chance, Højlund would have gone long ago to PSG and we would have ended up being taken to the cleaners by Benfica for Goncalo Ramos.

SATA

Bayern fans should be incredibly excited. They have gotten themselves a genuine world class striker whom they can enjoy watching him in their colours

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Levy is completely irrelevant in this saga. I don’t know why people aren’t getting this. The person we needed to persuade is Kane. We’ve failed.
Really Levy is irrelevant? I am not sure you know how this transfer malarkey works. You know that Kane is still contracted to Spurs right?

croadyman

Bayern fans should be incredibly excited. They have gotten themselves a genuine world class striker whom they can enjoy watching him in their colours
Yeah they have won the transfer window for me UNLESS Mbappe goes to Madrid late on

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Just make their minds up already. This is probably the longest transfer saga ever.

Tarrou

When the player wants to come.
a meaningless distinction in the context here

he chased loads of players who he didn't sign

so he obviously wanted them, and didn't get what he wanted

and he fecked up several transfer windows in the process

mu4c_20le

a meaningless distinction in the context here

he chased loads of players who he didn't sign

so he obviously wanted them, and didn't get what he wanted

and he fecked up several transfer windows in the process
I thought the context was Kane, who does want to come. He would've paid up as he loves a marquee signing.

Edit: when you said woodward esque I thought you meant overpay, not that he'd fail

Tarrou

I thought the context was Kane, who does want to come. He would've paid up as he loves a marquee signing.
the context was you saying "at least Woodward gets what he wants"

which was obviously wrong but you then caveated it with "when the player wants to come"

It's like me saying to my mate I get every woman I want. And when he rightly says what the feck are you on about, I turn around say well the ones who wanted me too

mu4c_20le

the context was you saying "at least Woodward gets what he wants"

which was obviously wrong but you then caveated it with "when the player wants to come"

It's like me saying to my mate I get every woman I want. And when he rightly says what the feck are you on about, I turn around say well the ones who wanted me too
I was replying to your post about Kane, in the Kane thread, speaking hypothetically about Woodward paying over the odds for Harry Kane who wants to come.

Sorry if it wasn't clear

glasgow 21

Im just saying I wanted that porsche but the neighbour was never selling it to me as he didnt want to see it everyday.

Tarrou

I was replying to your post about Kane, in the Kane thread, speaking hypothetically about Woodward paying over the odds for Harry Kane who wants to come.

Sorry if it wasn't clear
fair enough

I don't even know if it's true though. I'm sure there were people he chased who wanted to come but couldn't agree fees. Muller for example? Woodward was a shit-show

Blackwidow

Like with Lewandowski - you need to integrate him first. The opponents often park the double bus - especially now that Tuchel plays less risky than we did before. He needs to get used to the team - and the team to him. Lewandowski was not the top scorer in the team in his first season - Robben was.

Nicolarra90

He would have been a great addition to the team and would have taken pressure from Hojlund and the forwards. Although I think his best time to come was before his last renewal.

But some must stop pretending that he's some kind of talisman and would have taken us into trophies single handedly because he has had enough finals and important games throughout his career for England and Spurs, and he has done nothing of note.