Harry Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That's working on the assumption that the figure of £45 million is actually his price now, whereas in reality we don't know how much he'd cost. Levy could tell us to get fecked for £50 million now, for all we know. If he does well in his second season, his price will definitely go up in Levy's eyes, which is all that counts if you're looking to buy.
Yes, I was talking with respect to the £45m price tag, I don't see anyone buying Kane for £60m+ next season even if he gets another 25 goals, thats ludicrous.

Mindhunter

Yes but are you seriously putting Kane at that level was my point. Thats world class level, Kane shouldn't be commanding such a fee
No definitely not but given the English tax and the shrewdness of Levy we would need to at least cough up 40m pounds to land the man i.e. if he is one of our transfer targets. That's the problem when you advertise to the whole world about your riches.

My point is that you need to pay that money for a striker who has scored as many as him in the league.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
1) Shaw isn't worth £30 million, we just got utterly fleeced by Southampton's owners. Similarly Lovren isn't worth £20m and Lallana £25m but they managed to get it.

2) Agreed that we are able to afford him

3) He's not already Premier League proven is he? He's had one good year, of which he's tailed off towards the end and barely scored at all. We need to wait at least another year until you could call him 'proven'. I'd be more inclined to suggest he'll get second season syndrome next year and really struggle, if I had any money I'd bet on it.

4) I must admit if I was Levy I'd cash in but that's based on the fact I don't think he'll ever be worth what he is now again.
They are worth that because that is what two clubs paid foR them.

The value of something is the price someone is willing to pay for it.

Kane would Probably coat £50m. It is a punt in the hope that becomes a top PL scoring striker for the next ten plus years. If that proves the case £50m would look like absolute pittance.

iAm20Legend

We'll get ripped off on this one. Benteke may actually be better value for money, if we can get him for around 20 million.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
The value of something is the price someone is willing to pay for it.
What nonsense!

If someone was stupid enough to offer £1m for a 2nd-hand Robin Reliant that wouldn't suddenly make the car actually worth £1m .... as the new owner would quickly discover should they try to sell it on.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Yes but are you seriously putting Kane at that level was my point. Thats world class level, Kane shouldn't be commanding such a fee
He is the second best scorer (between Aguero and Costa) in a league that is considered to be among the top 3. So it could be argued to label him world class. And he is just turning 22.

However, nobody can guarantee that he is not a one season wonder and will be average from next season on.

Tarrou

We'll get ripped off on this one. Benteke may actually be better value for money, if we can get him for around 20 million.
I'd prefer Benteke if the price was reasonable. £20 mill seems a tad optimistic though.

Cassidy

He is the second best scorer (between Aguero and Costa) in a league that is considered to be among the top 3. So it could be argued to label him world class. And he is just turning 22.

However, nobody can guarantee that he is not a one season wonder and will be average from next season on.
Bony was the top scorer in the calendar year 2014, Benteke scored 19 league goals (1 less than Kane) a few seasons ago, both are not considered world class. He has 3 more goals than Charlie Austin (who plays for a worse team) who also isn't considered world class. Kane is no where near proving himself to be world class. Costa and Aguero have both done it consistently over an extend period and at a higher level (UCL)

The guys had a great season, and I hope his form continues, but can we get a grip, world class ffs

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I'd prefer Benteke if the price was reasonable. £20 mill seems a tad optimistic though.
I would prefer Kane for 40+ to Benteke for 20.
Not saying that Benteke is bad but he has reached his Peak. Kane on the other Hand COULD become even better.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Bony was the top scorer in the calendar year 2014, Benteke scored 19 league goals (1 less than Kane) a few seasons ago, both are not considered world class. He has 3 more goals than Charlie Austin (who plays for a worse team) who also isn't considered world class. Kane is no where near proving himself to be world class. Costa and Aguero have both done it consistently over an extend period and at a higher level (UCL)

The guys had a great season, and I hope his form continues, but can we get a grip, world class ffs
Good arguments. Like I said - he could turn out to be another one season wonder. Paying 40-50 Mio is a big risk. On the other hand there is only a negligible amount of realistic and fitting alternatives in the market right now.

Ekeke

Costa did it for 1 season at Atletico and then came to Chelsea where Kane has arguably been better. Costa was on loan at half of la liga for about 5 seasons and the season before his last at Atletico was no more than a good foil for the "world class" striker, Falcao.

Kane hasnt done it in the champions league because he hasnt played in it. He has however done it against several teams in the premier league who are playing in the champions league, for example his destruction of Chelsea

Cassidy

Costa did it for 1 season at Atletico and then came to Chelsea where Kane has arguably been better. Costa was on loan at half of la liga for about 5 seasons and the season before his last at Atletico was no more than a good foil for the "world class" striker, Falcao.

Kane hasnt done it in the champions league because he hasnt played in it. He has however done it against several teams in the premier league who are playing in the champions league, for example his destruction of Chelsea
Costa has played at a higher level and scored goals over a more consistent preriod than Kane, regardless of whether or not he was a foil for Falcao he scored plenty that season, and the season before on loan at Rayo he scored an impressive amount of goals for the games he played, now constrast that with Kanes loan @ Leicester. Even then I would say Costa is only just getting his world class status this season Kane may have had a better season, but I would bet Costa would have more goals if he hadn't been out with injuries etc.
No one is saying Kane isn't a good player, but saying he can be labeled world class is a joke (which is the point the post you have quoted was addressing)

Cassidy

Good arguments. Like I said - he could turn out to be another one season wonder. Paying 40-50 Mio is a big risk. On the other hand there is only a negligible amount of realistic and fitting alternatives in the market right now.
Disagree tbh, there are alternatives within our own league Benteke & Austin (not that I would sign Austin) but what really makes Kanes season any better than his, becasue he scored 3 more goals playing for a much better team? Berahino and also Ings are players that whilst their seasons have been a level below, look like they could have as much talent and you wonder what they would do in a better team.

Then you looks around Europe and there are quite a few young forwards scoring goals and making names for themselves. Vietto, Lacazzette, Dybala, Icardi again all at various levels etc.

Kane is English though, so that is why there is so much excitment of course, and rightly so.

EDIT: The thing that bothers me about Kane, is that he has not been a prolific goalscorer in his senior career up until now (yes I know he scored goals at U21 level) so there is always that question mark which says, well why now? His loans at Millwall and Leicester were hardly impressive, but then again maybe the lad has just come of age. Thats the main reason I would say another season watching him at Spurs makes much sense.

Deleted member 78215

seems people are happy to pay £40-45m for Kane but a lot don't even want to pay that for someone proven like Bale. very weird priorities. i don't mind Kane but he'd be too big of a risk for that price for me. i'd prefer to pay £60m next year if he continues to perform in his 2nd year.
I'd doubt many would turn Bale down for 40m. It's when a fee of 80m is thrown around that people start to baulk, and rightly so. Bale wasn't worth that much when he'd just had his best season, and he's certainly not worth it at the moment, considering his lack of form.

Cassidy

I'd doubt many would turn Bale down for 40m. It's when a fee of 80m is thrown around that people start to baulk, and rightly so. Bale wasn't worth that much when he'd just had his best season, and he's certainly not worth it at the moment, considering his lack of form.
But Kane is worth £45m? In contrast I would say Bale at £80m is a far better deal than Kane at £45m.
Despite Bales dip in form since January, he has still scored and assisted an awful lot in his 18 month spell at Madrid till then, not to mention his exploits at international level too.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What nonsense!
If someone was stupid enough to offer £1m for a 2nd-hand Robin Reliant that wouldn't suddenly make the car actually worth £1m .... as the new owner would quickly discover should they try to sell it on.
No. It involves 2 parties- the seller and the buyer. If the buyer wants it for some reasons (which we don’t always know) then he might be willing to pay much more than others. That’s how it works in football- if you want player X and there are several clubs who would pay 10m for him, but there are just a few who would easily spend 20m and they can afford him, then 20m is his value. Clubs who tend to think in “medium value” category miss out on top targets.

In football every transaction is unique. That's also the reason why I don’t think we should be concerned about how much we pay for players.

I always thought it’s quite funny when people say things like “50m?? No way, he’s worth 35m MAX!”. So what, they wouldn’t take him for 36 because that’s above his value or what? /not directed at you, just general observation/

Deleted member 78215

But Kane is worth £45m? In contrast I would say Bale at £80m is a far better deal than Kane at £45m.
Despite Bales dip in form since January, he has still scored and assisted an awful lot in his 18 month spell at Madrid till then, not to mention his exploits at international level too.
Oh no, I'm not saying Kane is worth 45m. I certainly don't think he is.

Ekeke

Costa has played at a higher level and scored goals over a more consistent preriod than Kane, regardless of whether or not he was a foil for Falcao he scored plenty that season, and the season before on loan at Rayo he scored an impressive amount of goals for the games he played, now constrast that with Kanes loan @ Leicester. Even then I would say Costa is only just getting his world class status this season Kane may have had a better season, but I would bet Costa would have more goals if he hadn't been out with injuries etc.
No one is saying Kane isn't a good player, but saying he can be labeled world class is a joke (which is the point the post you have quoted was addressing)
Fair enough if like you say, Costa is only "world class" this season because its his 2nd as a high scorer. That would be consistant with Kane needing to do it 1 more season too

its just the previous post seemed to suggest Costa has been world class for several seasons, when really 18 months ago he wasnt rated highly at all

Cassidy

Fair enough if like you say, Costa is only "world class" this season because its his 2nd as a high scorer. That would be consistant with Kane needing to do it 1 more season too

its just the previous post seemed to suggest Costa has been world class for several seasons, when really 18 months ago he wasnt rated highly at all
Yeah, I only really used Costa as reference as the original post which I replied to said Kane could be labelled world class mentioned Costa and Aguero.
Anyway I for one do hope Kane turns out to be the kind of striker that can reach that level, if he does, I don't doubt he would likely end up at United, but it would also be very good for England too.

Ekeke

Yeah, I only really used Costa as reference as the original post which I replied to said Kane could be labelled world class mentioned Costa and Aguero.
Anyway I for one do hope Kane turns out to be the kind of striker that can reach that level, if he does, I don't doubt he would likely end up at United, but it would also be very good for England too.
I personally dont care if we sign him or not because at this point his reputation has swelled so much that he'd be a very expensive signing. I did suggest signing him but that was way before half of the stuff he's gone on to do this season, so he would have cost a lot less.

I just think he deserves to be respected for what he has done regardless of who he plays for and whether he ends up playing for us. I'm positive that if Javier Hernandez had done everything Keane did this season the majority of people would be calling him one of the top strikers in world football. It shouldnt matter whether a player plays for us or not, accomplishments should be viewed the same

Cassidy

I personally dont care if we sign him or not because at this point his reputation has swelled so much that he'd be a very expensive signing. I did suggest signing him but that was way before half of the stuff he's gone on to do this season, so he would have cost a lot less.

I just think he deserves to be respected for what he has done regardless of who he plays for and whether he ends up playing for us. I'm positive that if Javier Hernandez had done everything Keane did this season the majority of people would be calling him one of the top strikers in world football. It shouldnt matter whether a player plays for us or not, accomplishments should be viewed the same
I agree. We're all football fans at the end of the day no matter who you support.
I don't think anyone in this thread has gone out to undermine Kanes achievements this season, I just think many people are asking for caution, and see spending £45m and labeling him world class, as overkill/too much too soon.
TBH that sort of thing is what happens with many English players and then they struggle to live up to the hype later on when we expect them to be the best player in the world for some strange reason

Ekeke

I agree. We're all football fans at the end of the day no matter who you support.
I don't think anyone in this thread has gone out to undermine Kanes achievements this season, I just think many people are asking for caution, and see spending £45m and labeling him world class, as overkill/too much too soon.
TBH that sort of thing is what happens with many English players and then they struggle to live up to the hype later on when we expect them to be the best player in the world for some strange reason
I agree. I just think that when it comes to our own players, that caution for labeling and rating a player highly is thrown out of the window. For example people talking Ander up as a better midfielder than Cesc. Thats the same 1 season where people might feel he's done better (and plenty would say the opposite too) and yet nobody is saying he has to do it in the champions league before he can be rated as highly as Fabregas. Why? Because he plays for us.

Cassidy

I agree. I just think that when it comes to our own players, that caution for labeling and rating a player highly is thrown out of the window. For example people talking Ander up as a better midfielder than Cesc. Thats the same 1 season where people might feel he's done better (and plenty would say the opposite too) and yet nobody is saying he has to do it in the champions league before he can be rated as highly as Fabregas. Why? Because he plays for us.
Well tbh, you only really have to stop there to see they're probably high on something! However yes I see your point in that sense, I guess some find it hard to be objective when talking about their own.

pete_8

I would prefer Kane for 40+ to Benteke for 20.
Not saying that Benteke is bad but he has reached his Peak. Kane on the other Hand COULD become even better.
I don't think I would like either but if I had to chose I would go for Benteke at 20 million. Kane has only really had say two thirds of a season, while yes he could improve 45 million in my opinion is a big gamble and one not worth taking at that price

Last edited:

Cassidy

Both Kane and Berahinio named in the U21 squad, the tournament should be interesting in comparing the two in the same team. Spurs should be in for Berahinio if they are smart.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Kane is just direct and it has taken a lot of people by surprise this season, along with a fair few good fortune goals at set pieces. I've gone out on a limb and said hell get found out next season, similar to how he has been towards the end of this season. Managers will be able to deal with him.

The fee quoted is typical of English football, he's a 20-25m player, tops.

I think the whole season is so similar to papiss cisses great half season. I do not want him at united and would sooner have berainho and Austin than him, as I feel the former has a higher ceiling and the latter would be just as good but cheaper

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Bad news for those who hoped that United had chance of signing Kane, since he's just said (in an appearance on BT Sport’s Clare Balding Show): "Spurs is where I’m at and where I plan to be for a very long time."

Mindhunter

Bad news for those who hoped that United had chance of signing Kane, since he's just said (in an appearance on BT Sport’s Clare Balding Show): "Spurs is where I’m at and where I plan to be for a very long time."
And you believe him :lol: What did Ronaldo and Bale say before fecking off to RM?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
And you believe him :lol: What did Ronaldo and Bale say before fecking off to RM?
I don't know about Ronaldo, but I can't remember Bale saying anything similar. More importantly, neither Bale or Ronaldo came up through the academy ranks of the clubs concerned, whereas Kane has been with Spurs since the age of 11, so his identification with Spurs is of a completely different order.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't know about Ronaldo, but I can't remember Bale saying anything similar. More importantly, neither Bale or Ronaldo came up through the academy ranks of the clubs concerned, whereas Kane has been with Spurs since the age of 11, so his identification with Spurs is of a completely different order.
I hope he stays at Spurs. It'd be nice to see a homegrown player stay at his club.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
At the risk of sounding like a little Englander, I like that top British players form a core at our club. It means something. When I watch Chelsea, I might as well be watching any random continental team. I'd pay a premium to get someone like Kane for that reason.

Oo0AahCantona

At the risk of sounding like a little Englander, I like that top British players form a core at our club. It means something. When I watch Chelsea, I might as well be watching any random continental team. I'd pay a premium to get someone like Kane for that reason.
yep. I think it is really important for us to build our team around the very best british players, otherwise as you say, whats the point really. thats not to say give them priority over foreign players that are better than them, but even if you need to pay at a premium i think it's part of united culture, just as bayern soak up all the german talent.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
ps not that I give a damn about the England team itself. I say put FIFA in jail.

mattsville

Looks very talented but you just can't judge him on one season, if he does it again next season he is out of there no matter what he says, for one the agent will make it happen, and levy will see the dollar signs, for all the waffle, they have never in PL history made the moves necessary to challenge for title, they are a sustaining selling club.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Spurs would want at least £40m, I'd think. It'd be silly for anyone to pay that, at this point. It'd be unwise for Kane to move at this point.

The only ones who I think could be wise to make a move happen is Spurs, if suitably silly money was offered but I don't see which English club would want him enough to pay it and he'd be worth quite a bit less to anyone outside England.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
If Man United came knocking, I am sure his outlook would change very quickly. Not least because he would double his wages...

Mainoldo

I hope he stays at Spurs. It'd be nice to see a homegrown player stay at his club.
It would be nice to see England produce a world class striker. Therefore would benefit playing for the best teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.