Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaldinho1

:lol:

It is a little wild admittedly but there's a big element of truth there. DDG is the single biggest issue that we have.

His massive decline in form is detailed in this thread

If you look at our xGA it's roughly the same as Liverpool's (slightly better on understat's model)

https://understat.com/league/EPL

This means that we've been about as open to opposition attacks in term of the quality of chances conceded over the course of the season, so what's the reason for Liverpool's goals conceded column being better than ours?

People have spoken of 'luck' when watching Liverpool this season i.e. the oppostion not taking their chances, which has played some part, but Allison has been one of the very best at outperforming his xGA as a keeper whilst DDG has been below average for the league.

https://www.givemesport.com/1535735-premier-league-goalkeepers-ranked-by-expected-goal-statistics
Oh I agree he's declined but to say we'd be challenging for titles if he was on form is crazy given how big the gap is. The truth is sadly that man for man, Liverpool just have better players than us in almost every position and in the rare cases they don't (on an individual level Bruno, Pogba, maybe Martial on this season's form) the players they have are much better for their system. Add that to them undoubtedly having a better coach and that's why there's a 30+ point gap.

DDG is an issue but even if he was still in God mode, we'd be miles behind Liverpool

HackeyC

My biggest criticism from him is that he gets his head on about 6/10 of our corners and almost always misses the target. Absolutely horrendous conversion rate given the positions he gets into. If he was converting 20% of those chances I'd give him a bit of a pass for his lack of pace and overall lack of situational awareness at times. I personally think Lindelof is more reliable.

HackeyC

It is a little wild admittedly but there's a big element of truth there. DDG is the single biggest issue that we have.

If you look at our xGA it's roughly the same as Liverpool's (slightly better on understat's model)

This means that we've been about as open to opposition attacks in term of the quality of chances conceded over the course of the season, so what's the reason for Liverpool's goals conceded column being better than ours?

People have spoken of 'luck' when watching Liverpool this season i.e. the oppostion not taking their chances, which has played some part, but Allison has been one of the very best at outperforming his xGA as a keeper whilst DDG has been below average for the league.

https://www.givemesport.com/1535735-premier-league-goalkeepers-ranked-by-expected-goal-statistics
On that basis Henderson is a no brainer given Sheffield United are +14. I'm not saying I agree, but is that how you interpret the stats?

Classical Mechanic

On that basis Henderson is a no brainer given Sheffield United are +14. I'm not saying I agree, but is that how you interpret the stats?
Not entirely. Those are team stats rather than the keeper as an individual. I think with crazy stats like that there’s ‘luck‘ involved where teams miss a lot of chances against them too. Henderson has been one of the best keepers in the league by most measures so he deserves a shot at our number jersey. There’s the pressure dynamic at big clubs too where you carry the weight of expectation to win every week. It turned Ben Foster into a hopeless mess, for example.

What I’d say about Sheffield United is don’t be surprised one bit if they sink down the table next season, its more likely than not unless they get in some big transfers. I think that’s what those stats tell you, especially if they lose Henderson.

Water Melon

In the last week maguire has

1. Marked his own teammate on a corner
2. Injured his own teammate
3. Tried to dribble past his own teammate
4. Scored against his own keeper

is he trying to complete some sort of a bingo here and if so what do you think's left?
Promote this poster.

Stacks

Good player. Probably contributed a fair amount to our much improved defence this season, though he has been at fault for quite a few of the goals we've conceded. Ridiculously over-priced. Not sure he's a great partner for Lindelof due to their respective lack of pace. Staying fit has enabled us to build a partnership in central defence, which is something.

Very poor performance today. Horrific 2nd half.
This is all very true and fair

We do have the second-best defensive record in the Premiership. Only 6 goals worse off than Liverpool who according to some has the greatest defender, and defence that has ever existed.
Liverpool have 2 attacking FB's rather than great defenders. Only VVD is actually a great defender. Also we have played most of the season with Fred and McTominay who are combative midfielders which may have contributed to our decent defensive record. When out under pressure or attacked, our defensive don't look safe. That said Maguire plays too many minutes so probably a bit beaten up atm.
Well, when you put it like that, then De Gea is also pretty good. It's a shared responsibility of the entire team when you look at team GA. Anyways, I don't think he's that bad, probably a minor upgrade on Smalling, but definitely not an 80m one. At some point you do have to start asking the question of whether it was really worth getting bent over a barrel just to 'fix' our defense as some put it.
It isn't fixed in the sense you probably need to sign a CB better than Maguire to partner him if we want to compete at the highest level. Maguire may have also played too much. Literally played every single minute of every league game.

Rolaholic

Still don't know why he was simply handed the captaincy without proving anything in a United shirt yet

432JuanMata

Can’t believe we paid 80m for him. It may not be his fault but it shows how bad we our at spending money

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Buying CB has to be a priority this summer. Both Lindelof and Maguire are not good enough.

el3mel

I agree with pretty much every word. Honestly, I am going to stop posting in this thread cos I never have anything good to say about our pound shop John Terry.
Terry was a great defender though ? Regardless of his shite show outside the pitch. Maguire isn't half the player Terry was.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Liverpool have 2 attacking FB's rather than great defenders. Only VVD is actually a great defender. Also we have played most of the season with Fred and McTominay who are combative midfielders which may have contributed to our decent defensive record. When out under pressure or attacked, our defensive don't look safe. That said Maguire plays too many minutes so probably a bit beaten up atm.
To be fair, Liverpool 3 play with 3 pretty defensive midfielders shielding the defence when their full-backs attack down the wings.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
which was us until Pogba and Bruno returned.
Yes, but the quality drop between our defensive midfielders compared to Liverpool is pretty big. Fred and Mctominay are pretty average defensively. They're both more box to box. Matic on form and fresh is our best shield for the defence. One big issue with United's midfield is not coping well with high energy press which puts a lot of pressure on the defence.

UpWithRivers

is he trying to complete some sort of a bingo here and if so what do you think's left?
Needs to have an affair with Luke Shaws missis and hes finally beaten Terry

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Great post, while I dont agree with the xGA stats, I do agree about the distribution from back. Hendo is also not an aggressive keeper but he does come out for corners . In grand of scheme things, we are not really getting an upgrade but hendo does have room for improvement because of his age.

Personally, I would sell both and buy a better keeper .

starman

Not sure what this is trying to prove...

"Footballer doesnt have 100% passing and attempts on goal record"

There are 2 in there that were bad mistakes and thats not even the own goal, thats just the reality of what could happen in a situation like that, and De gea needs to be doing better there.
And the attempts on goal, really? thats what requires the backdrop of clown music :confused:

Last edited:

Giggs' right foot

He is frighteningly slow.
Exactly. His running is like my dream-running where it feels like I'm going no way, because gravity has stopped working. I can't fathom how a 27-year old athlete can be so slow, let alone an £80mil. pound expensive one at that.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He was absolutely terrible against Chelsea. Wannabe midfielder, just stop. Try to keep the ball moving instead.

A-man

Not sure what this is trying to prove...

"Footballer doesnt have 100% passing and attempts on goal record"

There are 2 in there that were bad mistakes and thats not even the own goal, thats just the reality of what could happen in a situation like that, and De gea needs to be doing better there.
And the attempts on goal, really? thats what requires the backdrop of clown music :confused:
It mainly shows that this club have some fans who enjoy mocking their own players.

chilax

Supports
Chelsea
He was absolutely terrible against Chelsea. Wannabe midfielder, just stop. Try to keep the ball moving instead.
Whenever I see him just before a big game, he looks shit fecking scared. He has that look on his face that someone has when they're winging it and are worried they are about to be found out.

chilax

Supports
Chelsea
One of our strangest transfers ever. Not worse but so strange. Record breaking fee for 20-30 mil worth defender. And then he in 3 months becomes captain. Despite not being caotain anywhere. Captain of Man Utd while at the same time we had Pogba, Mata, Shaw, Matic, De gea...all experienced player who were in club for years.
Weird.
Very strange really, he wont be anywhere near the Captaincy at any other top club. What a shit decision to make him captain

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So, being fit and slightly better than Smalling cost 80mil these days. Bloody hell, how much would Rio or Cannavaro cost? One billion?

Paul_Scholes18

So, being fit and slightly better than Smalling cost 80mil these days. Bloody hell, how much would Rio or Cannavaro cost? One billion?
It is a different time. I think Rio and Cannavaro would struggle under the modern demands too.
Pressure is higher too and more pace and movement around the box.
Just watching older games and everything goes slower.

Sylar

Red card and give away a penalty after being dispossessed are missing to go full on Phil Jones

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It is a different time. I think Rio and Cannavaro would struggle under the modern demands too.
Rio would shit on all these modern CBs, its not like he played in 60s ffs, he played in this decade.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I think that those two (especially Rio) would still be best defenders in the world these days. Rio is the most complete defender ever (with Maldini of course)

roonster09

Scout
Well all our shit CBs cost 35 million or more, so it's not surprising.

Stacks

Crazy, Rio played against 2 strikers most of the time not one. He also played against the likes of Wenger's sides with Henry etc. aswell as the era when the prem teams were some of the best in Europe. More pace and movement than who? Henry, Anelka, Owen etc.

roonster09

Scout
That one of 35 is pretty better than Maguire though....but it is not hard to be i guess
Better than Maguire at being shit means I completely agree with you. He is probably the weakest CB we had and we had some shit CBs since SAF retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.