Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That bit where Lacazette got through on goal by just holding him off and turning around unfortunately summed up a lot of his performances for us. It's not just bad defending, it's unbelievably bad.

You see him do stuff with and without the ball every game that is just bordering on unbeleivably stupid. It just baffles me at this point. I mean how are Ole and co watching what I am and not seeing there is a big problem there?

Some of it might be down to ability but some of it would be very easy to cut out. You don't need to zonal mark from balls into the box. You can tell him to pass the ball quicker or give it to his midfielders when they are open...just let him know he isn't Paul fecking Scholes. Eliminate the avoidable nonsense from his game and at least then he can focus on what he needs to be good at.

He has the odd game when he looks decent but it seems to only be when we sit really deep (e.g. against City or Leicester). We're never going to be able to play that way a majority of the time so someone needs to tell him to cut the crap out of his game if he's going to have any chance here.

Roboc7

Half of the fan base knew Maguire Wasnt worth half of the price we paid.
There were idiots who thought he was the next VVD. He had that really good game against City at end of last season and there were a lot of our fans who only watched him then and thought he played like that every week.

Hawks2008

He actually makes me miss Smalling and I never thought I'd say that. Knew Maguire was average for years and was horrified when we spent such a fee for him, was hoping to be proven wrong but he continues being nothing special. Even his vaunted aerial presence and ball playing ability seems to have gone to shit.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He needs a rest. How the feck has he managed to stay fit and start almost every single game on average every 3 days?

Incredible professional. However his reaction speeds have clearly deteriorated recently. Must be fatigued.

Paul_Scholes18

We had Evans and sold him for cheap. Leicester had Maguire and sold him to us for a lot. Now they are far ahead of us with Evans as a key player. Just shows how bad we are at making deals.

Paul_Scholes18

He needs a rest. How the feck has he managed to stay fit and start almost every single game on average every 3 days?

Incredible professional. However his reaction speeds have clearly deteriorated recently. Must be fatigued.
So stupid to play him against Colchester.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
We signed the wrong centre back from Leicester, we should've got Sonunycu.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Was lucky when usually goes down easily Lacazette stayed on his feet when Maguire grabbed him, should have been a pen.

manunited1919

I don’t think he’s the issue at all.

None of the midfield want the ball, nor do the full backs.

How many times does Luke Shaw pass the ball back to him and position himself so he can’t receive it back.
Smalling also had this impediment. If we had invested in 2 midfielders to replace Herrera & Fellaini, instead of gifting the better part of £80m on Leicester in exchange for Maguire, we would be better off. Smalling plus 2 good extra midfielders is much better than Maguire and zero extra midfielders. Even Vidic said so publicly back in March.

Red_toad

Pretty much every signing we make turns shite eventually. We are a graveyard for players; it's the most depressing thing about the post-Fergie era.
All depends on your perspective. James, Maguire and AWB have all been generally good. Rashford has really kicked on and even Lindelöf has improved. But we’ve a lot of players who don’t fit the profile, it’ll take time for the squad as a whole to improve. Until then we have a very young team, which will lead to inconsistent performances.

PyroMan

Most expensive defender in the history of football.

Only Man Utd would fall for the hype that surrounded this lump. Absolutely horrendous defender who we ended up spunking 80m on. Another example of how awful we are run.

Greck

Before he came Leicester fans said we'd turn on him once we realised he wasn't worth 80m.

He seems to get drawn to the wrong sides of attackers a lot. How Lacazette was able to turn him so easily. Smalling was a better defender albeit a worse passer.

Godfather

Before he came Leicester fans said we'd turn on him once we realised he wasn't worth 80m.

He seems to get drawn to the wrong sides of attackers a lot. How Lacazette was able to turn him so easily. Smalling was a better defender albeit a worse passer.
Maguire's passing has been wank as well so even that doesn't really hold

SAFMUTD

Wonder how much can we get for him if we put him on the market, maybe 40?

el3mel

All depends on your perspective. James, Maguire and AWB have all been generally good. Rashford has really kicked on and even Lindelöf has improved. But we’ve a lot of players who don’t fit the profile, it’ll take time for the squad as a whole to improve. Until then we have a very young team, which will lead to inconsistent performances.
Maguire hasn't been anywhere close to good and James has declined massively since start of the season and big odds he is not going to be anywhere close to starting lineup in the future. AWB looks like the only one still playing well out of the three and even he still has some question marks on certain aspects in his play.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Wonder how much can we get for him if we put him on the market, maybe 40?
Nobody's going to pay him what we pay him. Making him the most expensive CB in history, also usually results in vastly overpaying in salary too.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We spent money wrong on him. Total miss from Ole. To elaborate before attacks on me;
He is good and solid defender, no question about that. And by being already a captain he has obviously good character to be United player. I don't like that decision because i am against that player after 5 minutes in club becomes captain but i guess that Ole got good feedback from other players about that( i hope that was the case). But nevermind all that and did we pay 80mil or 30mil, we needed leader defender. From my understanding of football( maybe i know nothing like Jon Snow) best central pair of defenders is when one defender is pure defender and other is a leader who organises defence. We had 6 classic defenders last summer and we needed different one. We needed a leader. Rio Ferdinand is one of the best defenders ever for me but he was the best with Vidic who was nowhere near talented as Rio but who was a fecking general in defence. Same goes for Baresi-Costacurta, Terry-Carvalho, Adams-Keown, Bruce-Pallister, Stam-Johnsen, etc....
Harry Maguire is just another classic defender who didn't add much to our defence. Yes, he is not fault for his price tag but we are. If we decided to splash most of our budget on defender then that defender should have been a leader defender. The one who will organise defence.
And as mentioned many times already; he is a fecking slow. I am not obsessed with pace but man, for 80 mil we bought player with huge huge flaw. What if our next managers decides to play with high defensive line? How he will play that with Harry or how he will bench 80 mil player because of that?

And this is not maybe on him but why is he standing on second post when we defend corners? He is our best player in air. Shouldn't he be the player who attacks and clears that ball?

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
As a Leicester fan, he’s performing about as well as I’d anticipated. Strikers with pace and tricks will roast him. He’s not slow once moving, however he’s just to big too be agile and lacks acceleration.

He’s always been best, as part of a back three, which doesn’t really suit you, as you’d need to play AWB as a right wing back. He’s not the best offensively, however; for me, AWB is a solid defensive full back.

This leaves your only option to play deep. Compact the space and allow opposing team to rain crosses into the box. He’d eat those up all day, as that’s his strength. You then build a counter attacking basis from that. Unfortunately, you guys don’t have the midfield to do this. He suited the Leicester post 15/16 style, as that’s how we played. He looked lost and a poorer player under Claudr Puel; when he started to dismantle that side and play a more progressive, ball retention style of play.

He‘a a defending parters nightmare, driving into midfield and taking an age to get back. He gets caught or spends an age dilly dallying on the ball in an attempt to pick a pass out.

He never was; and never will be a leader (for me).

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He only ever got spoken of as a top defender after the World Cup due to the English getting a bit giddy off the sight of him scoring a header against fecking Sweden and wandering down the pitch a few times with the ball at his feet against the likes of Tunisia and Panama.

I think most knew we were getting a slower version of Smalling who's a bit more comfortable with the ball, but I'm having serious doubts he's even good enough on the ball to justify that trade-off.

mu4c_20le

The real question that needs to be asked is why players come here and dont improve??
You don't spend a record breaking fee on a 26yo and hope he'll improve. He was expected to be the complete package and entering his prime years. James and wan bissaka are ones for the future and both have already improved alot. Don't listen to bollocks.

You don't spend a record breaking fee on a 26yo and hope he'll improve. He was expected to be the complete package and entering his prime years. James and wan bissaka are ones for the future and both have already improved alot. Don't listen to bollocks.
VVD improved when he went to pool, he was very poor the saints before he left. Thats why everyone was chuckling when pool spent £75mil on him.

mu4c_20le

VVD improved when he went to pool, he was very poor the saints before he left. Thats why everyone was chuckling when pool spent £75mil on him.
He wasn't poor though, he was always quite good but lacked the right focus, and concentration. People were laughing because a.) they were raiding the Saints again like a feeder club, and b.) getting caught tapping them up and forced to pay extra. He should be playing a bit better than this, yes, but it's just the vicious words of a slimy superagent sticking the boot in when we're down, and desperately defending his own duds like Mhikitaryan and Bailly.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Remember there were keyboard warlords during the summer laughing at people worrying about the money quoted for him.

Speak up and stop lurking.

-Supreme-

His passing (especially long balls) has been really poor since he joined us.

Was he this bad for England / Leicester?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
His passing (especially long balls) has been really poor since he joined us.

Was he this bad for England / Leicester?
Don't really know about Leicester - but he's never been that good for England - especially when he's come up against stronger opposition (though in general that's when England in general struggle)

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

As a Leicester fan, he’s performing about as well as I’d anticipated. Strikers with pace and tricks will roast him. He’s not slow once moving, however he’s just to big too be agile and lacks acceleration.

He’s always been best, as part of a back three, which doesn’t really suit you, as you’d need to play AWB as a right wing back. He’s not the best offensively, however; for me, AWB is a solid defensive full back.

This leaves your only option to play deep. Compact the space and allow opposing team to rain crosses into the box. He’d eat those up all day, as that’s his strength. You then build a counter attacking basis from that. Unfortunately, you guys don’t have the midfield to do this. He suited the Leicester post 15/16 style, as that’s how we played. He looked lost and a poorer player under Claudr Puel; when he started to dismantle that side and play a more progressive, ball retention style of play.

He‘a a defending parters nightmare, driving into midfield and taking an age to get back. He gets caught or spends an age dilly dallying on the ball in an attempt to pick a pass out.

He never was; and never will be a leader (for me).
Tbh I have not watched a whole lot of Leicester and Maguire beside your games against us but you would expect the people in charge have sufficiently done so and should have come to similar conclusions.

It is also a joke that he made the captaincy after having just joined but to be fair I cannot think of one of our players who would be a leader and still delivering on the pitch.

A-man

He had a poor game like the rest of them, but overall he’s been one of the best in United this season.
The Arsenal game was the biggest disappointment this season for me. Not because they lost but because of the lack of creativity, tactics and effort. Then we can add both collective and individual worthlessness on top of that. And most of all because I thought I was starting to see glimpses of hope that they played well as a team and had chances to reach top-4 and then this performance came. Hopefully yesterday was a one-off and they bounce back. Maguire however looked like he really needed a rest. Don’t know when that’ll happen.

Last edited:

Red_toad

Maguire hasn't been anywhere close to good and James has declined massively since start of the season and big odds he is not going to be anywhere close to starting lineup in the future. AWB looks like the only one still playing well out of the three and even he still has some question marks on certain aspects in his play.
Like I said it’s all about opinions. Some choose to be very negative and pick fault with everything.

el3mel

Like I said it’s all about opinions. Some choose to be very negative and pick fault with everything.
And some choose to be overly positive and ignore the reality as in Maguire case who is having a very average or below average season, with us conceding goals almost every game and barely getting any clean sheets while you see some saying we have improved defensively this season.

Andersons Dietician

He was easily one of the best defenders in the league, what are you talking about. I would have said at the time he was better than Alderweireld and Vertonghen who were the other two playing well at the time.

Only people who didn’t realise what pool were buying were chuckling.

As for Maguire not someone I wanted here but he is here now and I do feel like there is more to come from him but so far he looks very average, gets caught out of position a lot and is very very slow at getting back.

Red_toad

And some choose to be overly positive and ignore the reality as in Maguire case who is having a very average or below average season, with us conceding goals almost every game and barely getting any clean sheets while you see some saying we have improved defensively this season.
Maguire isn’t responsible for others individual errors, nor is he well matched in central defence, his partner is too similar. He’s been a good signing and he isn’t responsible for the fee paid for him. Other of our defenders have been way more prone to errors and lapses of concentration.
Not sure what reality would see the owners and management deciding and 100 odd million bucks of signings are not good enough and then go out and replace them. As that’s what the negatives are expecting.

Andersons Dietician

Not really true, some just don’t agree with what you’ve said ie your opinion and it has nothing to do with them wanting to be negative, just how they see it. Like personally I don’t think James has been good or that Rashford has really kicked on. Scored more goals yes but generally his football is just the same and he still makes all the same wrong decisions. Maguire has been so and so not great but not poor. Maybe a little disappointing for some given the high standards people set for him and Bissaka has been good.

Status
Not open for further replies.