Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
he certainly isn’t worth what was paid. But then again it was clear utd were desperate for a defender. You could probably start the blame with Mourinho who kicked up such a fuss in his final summer that basically any club were going to double the price.

Maguire is here to stay and I think he can improve somewhat, but you also have to look at Lindelof who I’m still really not convinced of and Shaw who has been very poor this season when fit. Add in DDG who is also having a bad season and defensively we are very vulnerable.

SATA

He really should have put away that header right before the first half ended. No doubt he would have did that in an England or Leicester shirt

el3mel

Maguire isn’t responsible for others individual errors, nor is he well matched in central defence, his partner is too similar. He’s been a good signing and he isn’t responsible for the fee paid for him. Other of our defenders have been way more prone to errors and lapses of concentration.
Not sure what reality would see the owners and management deciding and 100 odd million bucks of signings are not good enough and then go out and replace them. As that’s what the negatives are expecting.
Regardless of his price tag, he has simply been underwhelming and below any level of expectations. Our defense hasn't improved much since Smalling days. Looks exactly similar, which isn't something you expect on splashing any kind of cash on a defender.

AmanNits04

It's not his Fault that Leicester wanted 80 million for him. United wanted him and bought him.
As for his performances, he is actually one of the few in our team who has actually performed at an acceptable level.
It doesn't help that our team is disjointed and in shambles during defending.
Also, our team is young, these inconsistencies are inevitable and there is half a season left right now, other competitors aren't exactly flying too.

Let's just wait till the end of season and then pass judgements

Fosu-Mens

Regardless of his price tag, he has simply been underwhelming and below any level of expectations. Our defense hasn't improved much since Smalling days. Looks exactly similar, which isn't something you expect on splashing any kind of cash on a defender.
Depends on your expectations about him. Was stated before and after we bought him that his lack of mobility makes him a liability unless you play with a compact team.

The situation with Lacazette yesterday is a great example that we will see more of.

Davie Moyes

He had a poor game like the rest of them, but overall he’s been one of the best in United this season.
The Arsenal game was the biggest disappointment this season for me. Not because they lost but because of the lack of creativity, tactics and effort. Then we can add both collective and individual worthlessness on top of that. And most of all because I thought I was starting to see glimpses of hope that they played well as a team and had chances to reach top-4 and then this performance came. Hopefully yesterday was a one-off and they bounce back. Maguire however looked like he really needed a rest. Don’t know when that’ll happen.
Good post. Totally agree. Harry was not at his best but has been a good 7/10 this season. This defeat also the most disappointing for me. I did not bother watching second half due to the total lack of effort, tactics etc. Most likely the volume of games is catching up with the thin squad. The next few months are going to be difficult without Scott (very much missed last night) and Pogba.

el3mel

Depends on your expectations about him. Was stated before and after we bought him that his lack of mobility makes him a liability unless you play with a compact team.

The situation with Lacazette yesterday is a great example that we will see more of.
Least expectations was that he is going to improve our defense. Even that, I didn't see it happening. Wouldn't have looked any different with Smalling in there, which isn't a good thing considering I never considered Smalling world class. Of course, I won't talk about expectations for 80m spent, just the minimum expectations on buying an experienced PL defender. Has he improved his defense? Nope, we are still leaking goals all games and barely getting any clean sheets. Why did we focus the majority of our budget on him then if that ended up being the case? That's why he's underwhelming.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The real question that needs to be asked is why players come here and dont improve??
Well he's a mediocre player so dont expect too much improvement.

Maguire was having a pretty underwhelming season last year with Leicester until that performance away to City ,where it seemed to have garnered alot of ott hype.

bsCallout

He is the least of our problems, and like Pogba will end up getting ridiculed just because of his price tag.

Tactically we are so weak defensively. I mean how long do we have to persist with zonal marking on corners. We are getting destroyed on them every game. Did you notice how close the unit was for Arsenal yesterday? Our team is always so far apart, with everyone chasing dead ends, leaving so much space and allowing players to just run at our defence every game.

I actually feel sorry for Maguire, he is having to play with Shaw, Lindelof, Matic, Fred and Lingard, do zonal marking and attack balls that never come in on corners.

I'm starting to think we have actually been over-performing under Ole. Now another manager might get more out of those players but I think it would be fair to assume they'd rather get rid of them.

Shaw, Pereira, Lingard, Matic, Lindelof, Fred would not start for any team in the top half. And I know Fred has been OK recently but I think that shows how far we've fallen when he is seen to be doing good. Compared to the players of the past, Fred wouldn't get near the squad.

Maguire, AWB, Pogba, Martial, James, Greenwood, Williams, McT and Rashford are the only players I'd genuinely think a new manager would want.

Reactions: Sultan

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The guy just hasn't been that good for us, tbh. Don't understand people who say he's been one of our best players - that's just not true. He's been average/poor, imo. He has moments where he does some good things. He has moments where he gets in front if his man, nicks the ball and brings it out and gets the play moving. He has moments where he wins his headers, but they're just moments.

His supposed strength is his heading, yet i see him lose so many of them. He was also supposed to bring composure and accuracy on the ball, yet he just dawdles on it all the time and slows it all down to a snails pace. He was getting schooled yesterday at times, which is not something you expect to see from a player who some say should be permanent captain.

Ultimately, though, he's just another example of a player who has come into this club and regressed.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
See I dont think he's regressed. This is his standard. He'll have ok games and poor ones. This was his form last season and its being replicated here.

Its not rocket science. We over-payed for a mediocre player and we're,going by form,getting one.

People/fans put up his World Cup perfmances as evidence of his positive abilities while pushing aside the fact we (England) were going against some fairly w*nk opposition.
And when we did play someone half decent his weaknesses were there to see,along with the majority of his teammates.

Last edited:

A-man

Good post. Totally agree. Harry was not at his best but has been a good 7/10 this season. This defeat also the most disappointing for me. I did not bother watching second half due to the total lack of effort, tactics etc. Most likely the volume of games is catching up with the thin squad. The next few months are going to be difficult without Scott (very much missed last night) and Pogba.
I agree, he’s been a 7/10 overall. We have seen against the best teams that they can manage well at the back when the midfield works. Right now I think both defence and the attack miss a functioning midfield. When it comes to players needing to rest, the plan was most likely to use the cup matches to get Tuanzebe ready, and to use him for rotation now when the schedule is hectic. It’s very disappointing that he’s been injured so much.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
As a Leicester fan, he’s performing about as well as I’d anticipated. Strikers with pace and tricks will roast him. He’s not slow once moving, however he’s just to big too be agile and lacks acceleration.

He’s always been best, as part of a back three, which doesn’t really suit you, as you’d need to play AWB as a right wing back. He’s not the best offensively, however; for me, AWB is a solid defensive full back.

This leaves your only option to play deep. Compact the space and allow opposing team to rain crosses into the box. He’d eat those up all day, as that’s his strength. You then build a counter attacking basis from that. Unfortunately, you guys don’t have the midfield to do this. He suited the Leicester post 15/16 style, as that’s how we played. He looked lost and a poorer player under Claudr Puel; when he started to dismantle that side and play a more progressive, ball retention style of play.

He‘a a defending parters nightmare, driving into midfield and taking an age to get back. He gets caught or spends an age dilly dallying on the ball in an attempt to pick a pass out.

He never was; and never will be a leader (for me).
Cheers, that was comforting.

binary bot
As a Leicester fan, he’s performing about as well as I’d anticipated. Strikers with pace and tricks will roast him. He’s not slow once moving, however he’s just to big too be agile and lacks acceleration.

He’s always been best, as part of a back three, which doesn’t really suit you, as you’d need to play AWB as a right wing back. He’s not the best offensively, however; for me, AWB is a solid defensive full back.

This leaves your only option to play deep. Compact the space and allow opposing team to rain crosses into the box. He’d eat those up all day, as that’s his strength. You then build a counter attacking basis from that. Unfortunately, you guys don’t have the midfield to do this. He suited the Leicester post 15/16 style, as that’s how we played. He looked lost and a poorer player under Claudr Puel; when he started to dismantle that side and play a more progressive, ball retention style of play.

He‘a a defending parters nightmare, driving into midfield and taking an age to get back. He gets caught or spends an age dilly dallying on the ball in an attempt to pick a pass out.

He never was; and never will be a leader (for me).
Bit worrying this. As its largely how he's been so far

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Serious levels of delusion once again about this guy. Yesterday showed all his weaknesses and he is not only our second most expensive signing but also our second worst. An average defender not suited to a top team at all.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He is the least of our problems, and like Pogba will end up getting ridiculed just because of his price tag.

Tactically we are so weak defensively. I mean how long do we have to persist with zonal marking on corners. We are getting destroyed on them every game. Did you notice how close the unit was for Arsenal yesterday? Our team is always so far apart, with everyone chasing dead ends, leaving so much space and allowing players to just run at our defence every game.

I actually feel sorry for Maguire, he is having to play with Shaw, Lindelof, Matic, Fred and Lingard, do zonal marking and attack balls that never come in on corners.

I'm starting to think we have actually been over-performing under Ole. Now another manager might get more out of those players but I think it would be fair to assume they'd rather get rid of them.

Shaw, Pereira, Lingard, Matic, Lindelof, Fred would not start for any team in the top half. And I know Fred has been OK recently but I think that shows how far we've fallen when he is seen to be doing good. Compared to the players of the past, Fred wouldn't get near the squad.

Maguire, AWB, Pogba, Martial, James, Greenwood, Williams, McT and Rashford are the only players I'd genuinely think a new manager would want.
It's got nothing to do with his price tag. His performances have just been really bad.

Some of his defending is genuinely at amateur level and on the ball he is causing big problems because he is too slow and his distribution is then predictable. He ignores obvious effective passes to play a counter productive one 5 seconds later.

Honestly I want him to turn it round but I think it's getting very hard to ignore his performances. He is too often a help to both the opposition attack and defence.

Paul_Scholes18

I don't think Maguire is the big worry, but how we can be so bloody poor in the market all years.
We can't make proper negociations for anything and let players go for much less than we have payed for them.
Now when the old SAF players have all retired or been sold our team is looking bloody bad.

If our academy had been as shit as our transfers we would be close to relegation since our top 2 players this season has been Mctominay and Rashford. Greenwood and Williams are looking good too and Henderson is our best goalkeeper even if we have sent him away.

JMack1234

He was terrible yesterday and obviously because of his transfer fee people will jump on him whenever that happens.

However, I think he's been one of better players this year. A huge improvement on what we've had recently and has comfortably one of our better players this season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He was terrible yesterday and obviously because of his transfer fee people will jump on him whenever that happens.

However, I think he's been one of better players this year. A huge improvement on what we've had recently and has comfortably one of our better players this season.
Also the fact that he's been made captain based on some dodgy criterion.

romufc

Exactly. Plus he has almost played every PL game foe us and we looked off the pace yesterday, not just him the whole team.

If you isolate individuals from yesterday, you could literally find blame for every single player on the pitch. No one showed anything.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
80m price tag aside, he is a decent defender and I'd give him a 6.5/10 this season. His defending isn't any improvement from Smalling at all to be very honest, and I am not quite impressed with his ball playing/distribution either, quite overrated in this aspect of his game in my opinion.

I am shocked some of you think he is one of our best player this season. He is average at best I think.
Anyway below is my rating of our player so far:

Rashford 8 - easily our best player/top scorer this season, he is becoming icon of the new Man Utd, showing flash of brilliance at times, need to improve his off ball movements and decision making though
Martial 8 - our most important player this season IMO, makes our attack play clicks in our team, hope he can stay injury-free though
AWB 8 - rock solid at the back, nothing go past him, weak going forward though
Mctominay 7.5 - our best midfielder this season, going to miss him alot in next 2-3 months
James 7.5 - our biggest surprise this season, very fast and unstoppable and full of positive play, needs to improve his finishing/end product abit
Greenwood 7 - our biggest hope, probably the best finisher at the club, impressive scoring stats for 18 year old, need more experience though
Williams 6.5 - always impress me whenever he plays, exciting young left back when going forward, still lack of experience though, not sure about how good he is at defending
Maguire 6.5 - solid overall, best CB in our team, he is abit of leader at the back, but his lack of pace and mobility has caused us problems at times
De Gea 6.5 - slight improvement from end of last season, make some good saves at times, but still prone to error occasionally which is abit worrying.
Lindelof 6 - overall did ok, his lack of ariel ability is quite worrying at times, but still he is our 2nd best CB in the team
Pogba 6 - Always injured, but has shown his quality with limited no. of minutes, our only midfielder who can create something from midfield
Fred 6 - Big improvements from last season, looks like starting to settle and find his feet, but jury still out for me
Young 5.5 - Well we still need to rely on him at times, I think he did his best with his age, can't complain too much
Shaw 5.5 - he is prone to injuries like every other seasons. He is not bad player though, but not our best left back anymore imo
Pereira 5.5 - he is definition of average player with right attitude in the game but lack of ability, and I just don't see it in him, but lately he becomes more productive and contribute more assists, let's see
Mata 5.5 - he is getting older and slower, but to break team sitting back against us, we probably need to play him
Tuanzebe 5 - not convinced yet although the potential is there, looks shaky at times, great at one moment but poor in the other, need to see more
Rojo 5 - well he is Rojo, you know what you get from him, typical south american defeder
Matic 4.5 - he is old and slow, but with both Mctominay and Pogba injured, we probably need to rely on him more
Jones 3.5 - He is a shite defender, we only play him when we need to rest others and do not want to win the games
Lingard 2 - By far our worst player and worst no.10 in the league, you just can't defend an attacker who scored 0 goals and 0 assists in whole year in AM position, he is definition of pointless player. He is good at pressing though, so he worths 2 points for me for this, and nothing else.

Last edited:

el3mel

Young should still start so therefore him.
Maguire being captain already is just too much pressure for him. He is enough average as it is
It's weird isn't it. We made him the most expensive defender in the world then our captain. It's like we're treating him like freaking Maldini or something.

dev1l

Young should still start so therefore him.
Maguire being captain already is just too much pressure for him. He is enough average as it is
I think Young lost his place to Shaw and Williams, no?

Rajma

Colour me surprised. People on these boards were so pumped after we signed him without having watched Leiceter that much, it was quite obvious he would be only a minor upgrade on our options. I would bring Smalling back, that’s the sort of impact Maguire had so far.

lsd

The Oracle
He has been at best 5/10 this season . I honestly cannot recall one game where he looked anywhere more than that

Maticmaker

Maguire is one of the three best players we have signed in years (includes also AWB/Daniel James). However after a great start for all of them, they are beginning to learn to play the 'United way'... no, not the old way, but the new way. The three of them are being sucked into a morass where enterprising play is stilted, where an inability to score or even threaten to score from corners and other dead ball situations has become endemic where at times it seems the only thing common to any of the players is the kit they are wearing; hence their confidence, as well as their ability, is being questioned in every match.

Mark Pawelek

He was excellent at Leicester because he had proper defensive midfielders in front of him who he could rely on. Even when Ndidi was injured there'd be another specialist CDM to cover. United coaches should've figured that out before they spent £80m on him. Take away the specialist CDM and he's just a £25m player.

Stadjer

80m price tag aside, he is a decent defender and I'd give him a somewhere between 6.5/10 to 7/10 this season. His defending isn't any improvement from Smalling at all to be very honest, and I am not quite impressed with his ball playing/distribution either, quite overrated in this aspect of his game in my opinion.
Personally i think Smalling is better at defending just because Smalling is way more athletic. Maguire his ball playing/distribution is better but spending 80m for a small upgrade when you have huge midfield and right forward issues isnt the best way to spend the money i think.

If Maguire was still at Leicester and Smalling still in Manchester there wouldnt be much different with the current reality except the United bank account.

mu4c_20le

He was excellent at Leicester because he had proper defensive midfielders in front of him who he could rely on. Even when Ndidi was injured there'd be another specialist CDM to cover. United coaches should've figured that out before they spent £80m on him. Take away the specialist CDM and he's just a £25m player.
Same problem with Smalling then, expose him and he'll struggle, except Smalling had better pace and recovery when that happens. And I laugh at all the people who predicted Smalling would be in trouble once VAR is implemented, yet Maguire is the one who keeps fouling opponents needlessly.

hungrywing

Same problem with Smalling then, expose him and he'll struggle, except Smalling had better pace and recovery when that happens. And I laugh at all the people who predicted Smalling would be in trouble once VAR is implemented, yet Maguire is the one who keeps fouling opponents needlessly.
TBF we're never going to find out if that was right or not re the shirt pulling.

Alabaster Codify7

Yeah this guy is a problem now. Everything we touch turns to shite. Oles "Amazing transfer window" isn't looking too good now is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.