Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tapori

Maguire's problem is that he lacks football intelligence. When he is allowed to play the physical CB who's only responsibility is to clear the ball he is fantastic.
But for some reason Ole made him captain.
I think Maguire could be consistently great for us if the captaincy is moved to someone else and he is allowed to focus on his strengths.
a valid constructive post

Tapori

Really ? I mean I was surprised when he was named captain but do we even know if it's affecting negatively his performances ?
A fair point. You could say taking away could ruin his morale but as Captain and main CB he seems to be struggling to organise and read play. You could disagree.

Irwin99

I think I heard the commentator say that he's started every PL game since signing? His fitness is fantastic.

thepolice123

Solid today. Saved a few certain goals. But I’m sure people will find a stick to beat him with.

Red_toad

Solid today. Saved a few certain goals. But I’m sure people will find a stick to beat him with.
Every appearance he makes now, it’s pathetic the amount of criticism he gets. Good solid game from him today, all the issues Leeds created were down their left side and Harry coped with everything that came his way.

Matt6677

What you think Lindelof is a better centre-back than Maguire??

you think Tuanzebe, Bailly and those crocks Rojo and Jones are better?!?:lol:
Err Lindelof is better and he was also better today. But please do continue with this narrative that its so obvious that Maguire is our best CB :facepalm:

Bobski

Second half he really starting pushing forward with the ball, it was one of those ridiculous school ground games by that stage, everyone was having too much fun, think he was feeling a goal.

lex talionis

Solid performance today, borderline great performance. I fear he’s getting overworked, but we’ll just have to grind through it until Tuanzebe inspires enough confidence to allow Ole to give Harry more rest.

GueRed

Err Lindelof is better and he was also better today. But please do continue with this narrative that its so obvious that Maguire is our best CB :facepalm:

So you dont think Maguire has improved our backline?

Makes me shudder just thinking about a Lindelof - Jones/Rojo/Bailly/Tuanzebe partnership tbh

Mcking

I think I heard the commentator say that he's started every PL game since signing? His fitness is fantastic.
Yes he started the 38 games last season, and has started every game this season. Considering the fact he plays plenty of games in other competitions as well, it's a fantastic record.

I expect him to start the Carabao cup game midweek and then make himself available for weekend as well. Good to have a player who could play every game without breaking down.

Devil may care

His lack of mobility concerns me, as does the status we've afforded him. Had a couple of good headers in their box today.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Only needed to watch it once to realise he should take it on the half turn and play it out left to Telles. It really is that simple.

That ball should never come back inside to the condensed space, not to goalkeeper and especially not into the six yard box right in front of the goal.

Watch it below, Telles even drops back in expectation of the pass, Maguire's body should be angled more so that he can turn out left, he is straight on, so his touch and pass go straight back where it came from. He should receive it on his left and play it out wide with his right. Henderson, should be more open to tuning out right, he's not so his touch leaves him short and allows the oncoming player to get there. Both players body positions are wrong, so the touch is wrong and both led to mistakes. Both are equally at fault
Maguire "could" have opened up and kept the ball moving out to Telles. That was one option. Another option was to pass it back to the keeper who should be getting it right back to Lindelof or booting it up the field. Both players had options. There was nothing wrong with Maguire pass. Henderson should have dealt with it better. Anyone blaming Maguire for that is scapegoating him. That was all on Henderson...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Ok....a lot of you muppets need to start thinking for yourself and stop just saying whatever Mark Goldbridge says. And don't try and claim that you "don't know who Goldbridge is". Too many people quote his agenda word for word. I'm just waiting for Goldbridge's brilliant annalysis from today to be repeated where Leeds headed goal was Maguire's fault because he should be winning the header even though that wasn't his to win.

Oranges038

Maguire "should" have opened up and kept the ball moving out to Telles. That was the right option. The wrong option was to pass it back to the keeper who should be getting it right back to Lindelof or booting it up the field. Both players had options. There was nothing wrong with Maguire pass. Henderson should have dealt with it better. Anyone blaming Maguire for that is scapegoating him. That was all on Henderson...
Fixed that for you. I genuinely fail to see how people cannot understand that what Maguire did was wrong.

Both players made mistakes, I don't blame either individually. I blame both.

Fixed that for you. I genuinely fail to see how people cannot understand that what Maguire did was wrong.
Because passing to a teammate who has enough time to pass it on, is never your fault.

In Sunday league you have a point, but he’s not playing with Pete the plasterer in nets is he?

Hendo has a triangle with Matic & Maguire, a triangle keepers and defenders train literally hundreds of times a week.

I genuinely can’t get my head around the sheer stupidity of anyone thinking it’s anything other than an embarrassing almighty feck up from a professional goalkeeper in 2020.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

Both players made mistakes, I don't blame either individually. I blame both.
Passing to an open player isn't the wrong play. Telles was probably a better option but if you are really going to blame Maguire for that it's because you are looking to find fault in Maguire. That was all on Henderson. He had plenty of time to get a touch and pass it along to LIndelof or boot it up the field. Blaming Harry is scapegoating and nothing more. If it was a poor pass or there was already a player on Henderson then by all means blame him but that wasn't the case was it?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think he's quietly having a really good season. After his sending off for England it looks like he had an epiphany.

Passing to an open player isn't the wrong play. Telles was probably a better option but if you are really going to blame Maguire for that it's because you are looking to find fault in Maguire. That was all on Henderson. He had plenty of time to get a touch and pass it along to LIndelof or boot it up the field. Blaming Harry is scapegoating and nothing more. If it was a poor pass or there was already a player on Henderson then by all means blame him but that wasn't the case was it?
There are literally dozens of passes every single game between centre halves, keepers and full backs in which a massive feck up from one could be excused with “well xxxx shouldn’t have passed to him there”.

They are professional footballers for Manchester United ffs, you deal with that, more often than not we want the strikers rushing in and selling themselves.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Ok....a lot of you muppets need to start thinking for yourself and stop just saying whatever Mark Goldbridge says. And don't try and claim that you "don't know who Goldbridge is". Too many people quote his agenda word for word. I'm just waiting for Goldbridge's brilliant annalysis from today to be repeated where Leeds headed goal was Maguire's fault because he should be winning the header even though that wasn't his to win.
I haven't watched anything to do with him for a while now, but yes, it was clear he had an agenda against Maguire.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
There are literally dozens of passes every single game between centre halves, keepers and full backs in which a massive feck up from one could be excused with “well xxxx shouldn’t have passed to him there”.

They are professional footballers for Manchester United ffs, you deal with that, more often than not we want the strikers rushing in and selling themselves.
Not sure why this reply was for me. I'm not the one scapegoating Maguire. It's the other guy...

We are so much better with Maguire, its hard to understand why people can't see that.

And he plays every minute of every game. That's huge.
his consistency and availability seems to go unnoticed. Yes he was dogshit as the start of the season, but he’s done very well to come through that, and I imagine it was a one off given the circumstances.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Maguire is amazing when on form, but I can't help feel that his partnership with Lindelof isn't as ideal as it could be. It may be early days, but I'm waiting for that moment of natural chemistry between both CBs - or at least enough understanding to prevent our wingbacks from getting tucked in the centre to help out (as we've seen in certain high intensity games).

Status
Not open for further replies.