Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlatattack

Saw a good video on Tifo about Maguire.

TLDW; United's defence is left exposed by forwards who don't track back leaving the fullbacks overloaded and central midfielders who carry out their defensive duties poorly. This means the CB's are often out of position and more prone to make mistakes.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I actually admire you for your consistency and steadfast support for your man. Fair play.

You are completely delusional in my humble opinion but fair play nonetheless.

Maguire is objectively useless and no amount of stats will ever change that. Watch the matches and forget about the stats. No matter who we are playing Harry always keeps them in with a chance.
Again....if you look for the bad you will find it. Besides, no matter who we are playing they are always in with a chance because we can't score more than 1 goal per game. So if you are expecting our defense to be perfect and ignore the fact that we can't score, then that's on you. But go on...tell me how our defense was better when Harry was out. You know, for the month of January when De Gea had to make more saves than any keeper in the league and won player of the month. But yeah, Harry is the problem. The real problem is there are too many muppets in our fan base who can't think for themself and just repeat whatever others are saying. Maguire had a poor patch. Everything since has been nothing more than people scapegoating

Smithy89

He wouldn't be so bad if he played in a back 3 that had walker in it and Rice in front of him.

sladewilson

No more watching United because this rustic man causes absolute chaos while defending. Wondering why United holds this man ? I think De Gea curse him while sleeping after matchdays.

Please watch this on youtube: Vidic Then vs Maguire Now, How United Fans Feel ?

Litch

Harry has always been Harry. This is the same Harry at Leicester and that we paid 80m for. Did we overpay, no cause the market was inflated with players going for over 100m. I like Fred but we paid 50m for him, who is probably a 25m player and Harry a 40m in todays Market.

Not saying Harry isn’t playing well, he clearly isn’t but if all our players were on form, I’d argue there is more chance of Harry getting into a City, Liverpool or Chelsea team than 70% of the other players. Its all about opinions but he’s better than Stones or Ake, Gomez, Matip and current Konate and would fit in Chelsea‘s system of playing a 3.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Harry has always been Harry. This is the same Harry at Leicester and that we paid 80m for. Did we overpay, no cause the market was inflated with players going for over 100m. I like Fred but we paid 50m for him, who is probably a 25m player and Harry a 40m in todays Market.

Not saying Harry isn’t playing well, he clearly isn’t but if all our players were on form, I’d argue there is more chance of Harry getting into a City, Liverpool or Chelsea team than 70% of the other players. Its all about opinions but he’s better than Stones or Ake, Gomez, Matip and current Konate and would fit in Chelsea‘s system of playing a 3.
Dias for City had an absolute shocker today. It's interesting what happens when these superior defenses get exposed and actually have to defend rather than just play keep ball.

Last edited:

Pintu

That's not exact. Better CBs than him were sold for 30 M and less that same summer. And no he wouln't play for City, Chelsea, or Pool. If City had recruited him, he would have ended up like Mangala...

Red_toad

That's not exact. Better CBs than him were sold for 30 M and less that same summer. And no he wouln't play for City, Chelsea, or Pool. If City had recruited him, he would have ended up like Mangala...

He’d be fine at City, they control games. We have lazy forwards, midfielders who don’t track and a keeper who’s glued to his line. It’s a perfect storm, I’m amazed we don’t actually concede a lot more. Defending takes a team effort, seems our team has 3 outfield players doing it and 1 of them is struggling for form.

Pintu

He’d be fine at City, they control games. We have lazy forwards, midfielders who don’t track and a keeper who’s glued to his line. It’s a perfect storm, I’m amazed we don’t actually concede a lot more. Defending takes a team effort, seems our team has 3 outfield players doing it and 1 of them is struggling for form.
They control games because nobody can press them high. They have players calm and composed with the ball, and it is literally a complete waste of energy/time to try and press them unless you can keep it up relentlessly for 90 minutes. And nobody can really do that.

The 2 main qualities needed to be a good City CB are pace and distribution. They can tolerate Diaz and Laporte's shortcomings because they are both far more suited to Pep's style than most defenders. Maguire is not.

Maguire needs a team playing low block as England did at the Euros.

Red_toad

They control games because nobody can press them high. They have players calm and composed with the ball, and it is literally a complete waste of energy/time to try and press them unless you can keep it up relentlessly for 90 minutes. And nobody can really do that.

The 2 main qualities needed to be a good City CB are pace and distribution. They can tolerate Diaz and Laporte's shortcomings because they are both far more suited to Pep's style than most defenders. Maguire is not.

Hmm ok then Pep was wrong trying to sign him as he doesn’t fit their system. Glad you cleared that up for him….

Pintu

Hmm ok then Pep was wrong trying to sign him as he doesn’t fit their system. Glad you cleared that up for him….
Pep (or some scouts at City ) might have wanted to sign him at some point. One thing is sure, if Maguire had gone there to show what he's been showing here, Pep would not have had any problems binning him. He's done it before with his own handpicked players. He is smart enough to acknowledge his mistakes and correct them quickly (and City owners are rich enough not to care about the potential loss).

United in sin

No more watching United because this rustic man causes absolute chaos while defending. Wondering why United holds this man ? I think De Gea curse him while sleeping after matchdays.

Please watch this on youtube: Vidic Then vs Maguire Now, How United Fans Feel ?
:lol:

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Gomez, Matip and current Konate
I'd say he's maybe better than Gomez (Due to his injury problems) but I dont think anyone who watches a lot of Liverpool and Manchester United games can honestly believe that Maguire is a better player than Matip or Konate (this season at least).

And I don't believe it's because they are part of a better team or system either , I think that they are superior in practically every aspect (apart from heading) and Maguire would be woefully exposed in the Liverpool high line.

That's not to say I think he's a bad player and I do agree that he would shine in a low block , back 3 where his strengths (heading) would be magnified and his weakness ( pace) would be minimized.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club

I agree with every word of this , I'm tired of hearing people say that if he played in the City or Liverpool team how much better he would look.

I can only think that they don't watch very much of either of those sides because (IMO at least) Harry would stick out like a sore thumb there due to his lack of pace and limited distribution.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If he puts in a sub par performance again in the next game, he should change name to Harry Houdini for yet another disappearing act.

Greck

With all due respect to you the Pep point is a bit of a cop out. First, Pep isn't above signing flops. He has a lot of money to work with so he doesn't have to justify the outlay. Second and most importantly every single player we've beaten Pep tp hasn't worked out well for us so the Pep thing doesn't mean much. We saw Sanchez and now Ronaldo. Both players people can't wait to move on from. Pep wanting a player isn't a vindication button.

sladewilson

What is the point of comparing Maguire with third class defenders ? Maguire can not be a first team player in top 5 teams in PL. He would only be useful as a guard in free kicks. This is Manchester, it is clear that he drops whole team performance.

Classical Mechanic

What is the point of comparing Maguire with third class defenders ? Maguire can not be a first team player in top 5 teams in PL. He would only be useful as a guard in free kicks. This is Manchester, it is clear that he drops whole team performance.
Strange that because since he’s signed for United he’s played nearly every game for the side that finished 3rd and 2nd in the league.

Seven Seas Sardines

haha, didn't see that one coming. But in hind site I should have. Your comment is to black and white, the world is more of a murky grey!

Regarding half of your comment (ill leave it open to interpret which half in order to stay on topic):
You either haven't watched any games, don't appreciate modern football (with good technical ability, positioning and tactics on all 11 players) or simply trust what the sun writes more than your own good sense!? :smirk:
I've no idea what you're on about or what the sun has to do about anything, but you'll have to have mad agendas to not see Varane+Bailly is our best partnership.

Jones for all his faults at least goes into challenges 100%, something Magaluf rarely ever do.

Longshanks

TLDW; United's defence is left exposed by forwards who don't track back leaving the fullbacks overloaded and central midfielders who carry out their defensive duties poorly. This means the CB's are often out of position and more prone to make mistakes.
Add in to that the fact that we have a goalkeeper who is the worst in the league in terms of sweeping actions and command of his area and it adds up to the distinct possibility that the CB's simply have too much to do and get very little help from there teammates from top to bottom. They come under so much pressure that unfortunately mistakes are inevitable.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I like this persons analysis generally if shes the same one from Stretford Paddock.

But shes absolutely wrong at around 3min 50 when she says Diaz or VVD would have same problems due to lack of protection. VVD especially because he is often always isolated in uncomfortable areas and still dominates due to his pace and ability to read the dribbling runs.

Maguires biggest issues are lack of pace and zero agility, which means hes twisted far too easily. Unless we forever play counter football he will always be a problem for us at the back. Doesn't matter if we get Rice or some other 6.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I like this persons analysis generally if shes the same one from Stretford Paddock.

But shes absolutely wrong at around 3min 50 when she says Diaz or VVD would have same problems due to lack of protection. VVD especially because he is often always isolated in uncomfortable areas and still dominates due to his pace and ability to read the dribbling runs.

Maguires biggest issues are lack of pace and zero agility, which means hes twisted far too easily. Unless we forever play counter football he will always be a problem for us at the back. Doesn't matter if we get Rice or some other 6.
Reading the play and not committing at absolutely ridiculous intervals negates a lack of acceleration. Maguire has such poor intuitive skills and anticipation that he sells himself short and ventures into things he has little hope of winning or even contesting in the first place.

Pace and agility are exposed after the fact; Maguire exposes himself more often than him getting exposed outright. It's a bizarre combination to have in a centre-back who is supposed to be of any calibre.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Reading the play and not committing at absolutely ridiculous intervals negates a lack of acceleration. Maguire has such poor intuitive skills and anticipation that he sells himself short and ventures into things he has little hope of winning or even contesting in the first place.

Pace and agility are exposed after the fact; Maguire exposes himself more often than him getting exposed outright. It's a bizarre combination to have in a centre-back who is supposed to be of any calibre.
Pretty much

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
With all due respect to you the Pep point is a bit of a cop out. First, Pep isn't above signing flops. He has a lot of money to work with so he doesn't have to justify the outlay. Second and most importantly every single player we've beaten Pep tp hasn't worked out well for us so the Pep thing doesn't mean much. We saw Sanchez and now Ronaldo. Both players people can't wait to move on from. Pep wanting a player isn't a vindication button.
It wouldn't surprise me if Pep and his mates are sitting around the board room table drinking sangria thinking up ways to feck us and came up with the strategy of putting out that they're interested in signing player x y z once they learn we're interested in the same player. Woodward seemed to have this fascination of buying a player at any cost once Citys name was mentioned, probably thinking if City are interested then he must be good with City sitting back laughing at us when we offer ridiculous wages for players like Sanchez and Ronaldo breaking our wage structure causing unrest amongst the other players, over paying for Fred by about 30m and paying a World record fee for a little more than average CB when they has little interest signing said player in the first place. Tactical warfare at its best :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think his issues are a lot more exposed with the style of play we've been trying to implement. Which then leads to the question of should we absolutely force through this system and dump off those who just don't fit it, or should we adapt a bit? Imo we push through, as the system is absolutely the right one we need to go forward with and I don't think Maguire will ever really suit a system like that because of his lack of mobility.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Very good game under difficult circumstances and loved the celebration at the end.

kelvinwong2026

Bruno and Elanga have been attacked repeatedly by the opponents, I would wish our captain to be more aggressive to protect our players. Even Shaw ran across the field to fight for Elanga. Maybe the judges in Greece will drop Maguire's charges now, after seeing he is such a nice guy on the pitch.

lex talionis

Massive goal, solid performance. Perfection, no…but today was a day for Harry to right the ship, not to bring into the harbor.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Shushed a few Of the many on his back. Didn’t put a foot wrong and great goal.
Oh no! Isn’t that what got people on his back in the first place?:nervous:

No shushing this time. Just making up for his post-arrest form with a string of good performances now.

Time to be humble and work hard. There should definitely be no shushing after one good performance.

TSE123

Pretty good game again. Still positionally disastrous at times, but on a few occasions shaw could be blamed, and maguire had to cover.

arnie_ni

Very nice goal, but unfortunately bad defending on multiple occasions.
When? They had a fluke goal, their second goal was Shaws fault, their only big chance in the first half came after the ref missed a foul on awb. Can't think of a single instance I thought wtf are you doing maguire.

BainthaBrakk

When? They had a fluke goal, their second goal was Shaws fault, their only big chance in the first half came after the ref missed a foul on awb. Can't think of a single instance I thought wtf are you doing maguire.
Maybe a bit harsh, but he did let attackers get a clean view of DeGea on at least two different occasions. This is because speed is not his forté, but this is certainly one of his weaknesses. It was certainly an improved performance though.

Status
Not open for further replies.