Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Please don’t even try to compare Maguire with VVD now. It’s getting embarrassing.
Why not? Doesn't suit your agenda? Was VVD named to the team of the tournament for the last Euros? Either way, do you think VVD would be as good if he didn't have a proper DM in front of him and a proper keeper behind him? This is pretty basic stuff. The answer is no. Yet we expect all our defenders to be world class despite not having these other issues solved. Even Varane has been half the player he was at Madrid but nobody talks about that because he's not the scapegoat and he didn't charge the club 80m for his services and make himself captain like Maguire did

Roboc7

Please don’t even try to compare Maguire with VVD now. It’s getting embarrassing.
Flashbacks to when people were comparing them before we signed Maguire, it was ridiculous then but even more so now.

Maguire is just a very ordinary player, he was before he signed and will be for rest of his career. The constant references to him being in the team of the tournament at the Euros reminds me of Roque Jr always being described as a World Cup winner.

Ananke

Why not? Doesn't suit your agenda? Was VVD named to the team of the tournament for the last Euros? Either way, do you think VVD would be as good if he didn't have a proper DM in front of him and a proper keeper behind him? This is pretty basic stuff. The answer is no. Yet we expect all our defenders to be world class despite not having these other issues solved. Even Varane has been half the player he was at Madrid but nobody talks about that because he's not the scapegoat and he didn't charge the club 80m for his services and make himself captain like Maguire did
:lol:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That nobody has over 1 million subscribers and has appeared on Sky Sports

Who are you?
He could have 100 million subscribers and still wouldn't be worth listening to for tactical analysis. Most are watching for comedy.

Fair play to him for making a living from it but his football opinions are no more relevant than anyone on here, let alone worth parroting as your own view.

JB7

Are people that stupid that they take Tiktok videos and think they are accurate representations of the play? Varane was covered, Dalot was also being covered and both players would have had the attackers on them by the time a pass had reached them. He turned to look towards the left back but he was also covered. The out-ball in that situation was the goalkeeper but he did he usual shying away into his goal rather than moving right of the goal to take the pass.

This is the issue with simpletons looking at every facet of Maguire's game and essentially blaming him in situations that aren't even his fault or of his making. If he'd hammered it away, that Tiktok gimp would have made the exact same video but about him just hoofing the ball to nobody. There was plenty to criticise him for in that Atletico game but that moment wasn't one of them, not that I'd expect any of the witch hunt brigade to actually watch the game rationally,

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Are people that stupid that they take Tiktok videos and think they are accurate representations of the play? Varane was covered, Dalot was also being covered and both players would have had the attackers on them by the time a pass had reached them. He turned to look towards the left back but he was also covered. The out-ball in that situation was the goalkeeper but he did he usual shying away into his goal rather than moving right of the goal to take the pass.

This is the issue with simpletons looking at every facet of Maguire's game and essentially blaming him in situations that aren't even his fault or of his making. If he'd hammered it away, that Tiktok gimp would have made the exact same video but about him just hoofing the ball to nobody. There was plenty to criticise him for in that Atletico game but that moment wasn't one of them, not that I'd expect any of the witch hunt brigade to actually watch the game rationally,
Why? That's a normal thing to do. Play the ball out of danger - especially when you're closer to your goal. He did something similar vs Chelsea in the FA cup 2 years ago where instead of just hoofing the ball forward he dwelled on it which invited pressure and then you have this meme of a clip

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Van Dijk was injured for the Euros. He has looked good in 5 different teams over the past decade, often without good players around him.

Maguire's a fraud. He's our worst CB this season and I'm including Bailly and Jones.

His transfer was the biggest scam in football. I see better CBs in all non United games I watch across multiple leagues. Most of them cost less than 20 million.

JB7

Why? That's a normal thing to do. Play the ball out of danger - especially when you're closer to your goal. He did something similar vs Chelsea in the FA cup 2 years ago where instead of just hoofing the ball forward he dwelled on it which invited pressure and then you have this meme of a clip
Because that's what that Tiktok guy does, he's created content slating Maguire for almost everything he's ever done, regardless of whether the fault is his or not in any given instance. And given that we as a team are clearly coached to play out from the back then hoofing the ball is the last resort - as stated previously, goalkeeper pulls out to the right of the goal like any normal goalkeeper and he's the simple out ball. He cowers away and all of a sudden we don't have a spare man.

That clip you've just posted is clearly poor play from Maguire as he's too slow to play the initial pass but in the interests of fairness he does then beat the press and but gets tackled by his own player while looking to play the ball out to the left back in space. What he does afterwards is obviously ridiculous but once again, is something solved by a goalkeeper making himself available when Maguire is facing his own goal. That's why those instances don't happen in an England shirt because Pickford makes himself available as the spare man.

Giggsyking

So he plays one OK game and the critics has to shut up for the rest of the season. He had an embarrassing season, the critics are criticizing a whole season not one game.

AFC NimbleThumb

The standard is in the basement for this guy. He played ok yesterday & then lunges in to a stupid tackle to be saved by VAR. A number of the posters showing the blind loyalty in this thread could do with showing it to others players, the hypocrisy.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Van Dijk was injured for the Euros. He has looked good in 5 different teams over the past decade, often without good players around him.

Maguire's a fraud. He's our worst CB this season and I'm including Bailly and Jones.

His transfer was the biggest scam in football. I see better CBs in all non United games I watch across multiple leagues. Most of them cost less than 20 million.
Even worse knowing that Maguire set that price himself

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
The fact that non of our rivals home or abroad would want him says a lot about his abilities, having said that I think the best to do now is to cut ties with him in the summer for a reasonable fee.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Good for him to come back against Leicester, with them booing and put in a decent performance. Hopefully our fans continue to back him and he finds some form again. He’s a good player….he’s just been awful for 12 months !

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You have to wonder if the Van der Vaart opinion is the commonly held one in the Netherlands now.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Good for him to come back against Leicester, with them booing and put in a decent performance. Hopefully our fans continue to back him and he finds some form again. He’s a good player….he’s just been awful for 12 months !
He's also played non stop football for over 2 seasons now and it will continue next season with the winter world cup. We definitely need to rotate more, considering we have Lindelöf and Varane fit now.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He's also played non stop football for over 2 seasons now and it will continue next season with the winter world cup. We definitely need to rotate more, considering we have Lindelöf and Varane fit now.
Totally agree. To be honest, and I’ve been a fan of Maguire, Varane and Lindelof looks a better partnership currently.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Maguire is having a poor season, this much is obvious, and I am not going to try to exonerate him here. That said, I think there are some significant mitigating factors which bear discussing.

TLDR: Having a GK glued to his goal line, and having no proper DM in the squad, makes our CBs' job a lot harder.

Most progressive teams nowadays, including United, try to play a high press. Since Rangnick has come in, he has tried to modernize our football a bit in this way.

Playing a high press starts from attack of course, but has a knock-on effect through the entire side, which ultimately means you need to play a higher defensive line. In order to play a high defensive line, you need a GK who can come out and sweep behind the back line. De Gea on the other hand, is notorious for being glued to his goalline, which creates a massive gap between him and the back line, which is something that a competent striker can and should exploit. I think this is evidenced by the fact that when Henderson came into the team last year, the entire back line looked more confident and assured. Henderson might not have been able to pull off the world class saves that DDG is capable of, but as a team and system, we looked solid.

Meanwhile, in front of the CBs you want a screening midfielder, who can drop into the back line when needed, but to track runners and present a passing option when in possession. Neither McTominay (who I like as a player) nor Fred fits this description. Matic does, but obviously is coming to the end of his career and is no longer capable of being a mainstay in such a key position.

The result is that our CBs are isolated and unsupported, and there is a lot of pressure on them to basically be the entire defensive system and shape. Maguire is a good player, but he is not blessed with pace or agility and so he will always struggle in these circumstances. Even Varane, who has excellent pace, has struggled at times this season.

In my eyes, a quality DM should be #1 on the shopping list for the summer, and we should be giving Henderson a proper chance as #1. If Henderson leaves in the summer then I think we should invest in a new GK to replace DDG. Buying another CB will not solve our problems, and they too will struggle due to the deficiencies in our team.

Eugenius

The fact that non of our rivals home or abroad would want him says a lot about his abilities, having said that I think the best to do now is to cut ties with him in the summer for a reasonable fee.
Pep was after him (albeit not for £80m). Wasn't long ago that John Stones was a meme, same thing with Maguire. In crap form, but still a decent CB in there. If he got back to form would probably get into the Chelsea back 3 for example after Rudiger and Silva.

Eddy_JukeZ

Davies talking about Maguire being captain in the clip.

Not sure why he'd say this on a live-stream. Seems pretty disrespectful for no reason.

United in sin

Not sure why he'd say this on a live-stream. Seems pretty disrespectful for no reason.
What respect does Maguire command? If anything it says a lot about United's ridiculous valuation of a nothing player who's peers see no value in

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

The kiddos have meme-ified Maguire. Youtube comments often have delinquents making super intelligent quips about him. Once it becomes the cool thing to do, everyone jumps in.

Maguire is having a bad season but the way people have started to mock him and pretend he's some 2/10 player is silly.

copen1945

The kiddos have meme-ified Maguire. Youtube comments often have delinquents making super intelligent quips about him. Once it becomes the cool thing to do, everyone jumps in.

Maguire is having a bad season but the way people have started to mock him and pretend he's some 2/10 player is silly.
Isn't that a valid point? In his first stint, Ronaldo had almost 300 hundred appearances over six season, winning silverware. Ronaldo shoud have been appointed as the captain.

amolbhatia50k

Isn't that a valid point? In his first stint, Ronaldo had almost 300 hundred appearances over six season, winning silverware. Ronaldo shoud have been appointed as the captain.
Ronaldo hasn't really been captain at club level. He's always been a player who gets on with performances with someone else as the captain. Although I don't even see how it matters. People overestimate the importance of captaincy in football.

And this has more to do with doing the whole "lol Maguire" thing anyway.

United in sin

He's a nothing player at this level. 4 time relegated. United captain. What a jump

amolbhatia50k

He's a nothing player at this level. 4 times relegated. United captain. What a jump
Not really. He's a decent player at this level. Did well at CB last season. Did well for England - pretty much always. He's been bad this season like many players but due to the captaincy thing he's being torn apart.

The likes Awb, Mctominay and co aren't being made into memes.

United in sin

Not really. He's a decent player at this level. Did well at CB last season. Did well for England - pretty much always. He's been bad this season like many players but due to the captaincy thing he's being torn apart.
Decent doesn't cut it at 80M for united. Why are you so willing to accept this low standard? He didn't play well last season. United's defensive record has progressively got worse with each passing season he's been here and he was purchased to help improve it.

Varane around town

I feel sorry for Maguire which is probably a good reason that he shouldn't be our captain.

Unfortunately Maguire has now become a meme and it's difficult to see him coming back from this. I think that's a very dickish move from Davies and I hope that another footballer doesn't take the p*ss out of him when he has a bad season.

amolbhatia50k

Decent doesn't cut it at 80M for united. Why are you so willing to accept this low standard? He didn't play well last season. United's defensive record has progressively got worse with each passing season he's been here and he was purchased to help improve it.
Obviously he's not worth 80 million. It was one of the most foolish decisions to splurge that much on him. Oh I'm not willing to accept his low standard. He should be dropped right now and tbh I'd consider selling him buying a quicker defender to play in a high backline if we can get a good fee.

What I disagree with is the whole social media trend of piling on a player with constant memes and jokes. It's a totally different thing, which I don't think he deserves.

United in sin

I feel sorry for Maguire which is probably a good reason that he shouldn't be our captain.

Unfortunately Maguire has now become a meme and it's difficult to see him coming back from this. I think that's a very dickish move from Davies and I hope that another footballer doesn't take the p*ss out of him when he has a bad season.
He's not the only fellow professional to have 'dissed' him. We saw Rashford telling him to eff off and calling him a K-head during a match against Palace last season. We saw Christian Romero berate him after his own goal against Spurs recently. There's also this:

“Harry was with me in Hull City and, in my opinion, he doesn’t have the level to be the Manchester United captain. So I think that the pressure he has by wearing the captain’s armband is affecting his performances.”

https://punditarena.com/football/rudi-kinsella/harry-maguires-hull-teammate-ahmed-elmohamady/

It's almost become commonplace now for his peers to have a go. Right or wrong it says a lot about his lack of quality and his lacking in mental fortitude in dealing with public criticism that it's seen as a weakness several fellow pros target without thinking twice

TsuWave

Speaks to how United is seen these days. His peers absolutely do not rate him. It is what it is.

UncleBob

More mistakes and no captain qualities. Just shocking, so far away from the level we need right now. Not sure this club is the place for him to find his form again.
Apart from his disaster decision making when Everton almost scored their second, he wasn't really bad.

edgecutter

Apart from his disaster decision making when Everton almost scored their second, he wasn't really bad.
He's the guy that's suppose to motivate and bollocking those that aren't putting in a shift. He isn't even doing that. A complete failure of a signing that needed to be cheered last week so his confidence isn't wrecked. The fact that he will go on a list of captains that contained Keane, Robson, Cantona, vidic...makes me sick to my stomach. Maguire embodies the new United, a complete utter failure in the modern era.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Don't really get how it's all Maguire's fault tbh, it's ridiculous. Mediocrity runs right through the squad. £80m is ridiculous we can all agree on that, but it's not like he signed himself.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
It’s not “bad luck” every time, when he’s the defender who finds himself in a situation where we eventually end up conceding.

Absolutely no leadership quality, should be first one out of the door this summer. Awful player

Status
Not open for further replies.