Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Poor passing first half. Unlucky with the goal. Poor decision making almost cost us 2nd goal, but all in all, not his worst game. I thought in the last 15 minutes he was the only one who looked like he wanted us to score

sewey89

It’s not “bad luck” every time, when he’s the defender who finds himself in a situation where we eventually end up conceding.

Absolutely no leadership quality, should be first one out of the door this summer. Awful player
Shouldn’t even be the first defender we get rid of, but ok.

NK86

Poor passing first half. Unlucky with the goal. Poor decision making almost cost us 2nd goal, but all in all, not his worst game. I thought in the last 15 minutes he was the only one who looked like he wanted us to score
How did he "look" like he wanted us to score? Also just by not being at his worst, does not automatically mean he was decent. He is the club captain and yet he has 1 mistake in him per game.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I can't stand the sight of him. Even he must know he is so far out of his depth now...and all the online abuse, booing etc...it's the equivalent of Amir Khan's soul being punched out of him by Canelo for a £20m payout.

He'll be laughing in his 60s throwing wads of 50s in the air shouting "I was a shit footballer but I'm fecking loaded".

jackal&hyde

His form this season is so bad he alone can get managers sacked.

I've seen him have very good seasons for us so he can do it, but the next manager needs to either address his form ASAP or drop him. I've never seen such a drop in quality as with him and Rashford. There must be something going on that we don't know.

Trequartistry

Apart from the mistake in the 2nd half I think he had a solid game. Not the tidiest but was a good game from him. Not helped by having a LB next to him who offers absolutely nothing

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I feel sorry for him. But his performance level is also detrimental to the team. He should leave in the summer, it would be the best for all. United will need to accept a massive loss.

JeffFromHK

I can see why Maguire is such a dividing player among our fanbase/coaches/commentators
On one hand, he is a proactive defender who loves chasing for the ball , which gives him lots of defensive stats (like duels won, tackles, etc), people judging players on stats would think he is good.

On the other hand, apart from his goals-conceding switch offs which happens almost every game, he has many little habits which are not that noticeable but cripples his team, like :
1. habit of playing safe and boot the ball forward randomly when he is under slightest pressure (awb says hello too)
2. over complicating passes when we try to pass out from the back, which slows down our build up play and reduces the number of attacks we make, and the number of chances we can create.
3. he is bad at putting an adequate weight on his passes, which again damages our build up play (even his so called good long cross field passes are always too slow in pace when accurate, when the ball reaches his target, the opponent has already reshaped, so there is no use with the long pass)
4. he loves standing too close to his teammates no matter we are defending or attacking (to cover up his poor pace), so even if we win the ball, all our teammates have one less teammate as an option to pass to, it is like a 10 v 11 and we lose possession more easily.
5. when we have freekicks, he has a poor offside awareness and loves fouling the defending opponents

these little gritty things adding up explains why some fans or professionals like van der vaart, davis, consider him a championship level player

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Apart from his disaster decision making when Everton almost scored their second, he wasn't really bad.
There are loads of comments in this vein in this thread. "Other than _him cocking something up_, he had a decent game."

What a load of tosh. You don't buy someone for 80m, make him captain and then have such low standards for him.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
So many loose passes from the back today. And this was regarded as one of his more stronger attributes.

UncleBob

There are loads of comments in this vein in this thread. "Other than _him cocking something up_, he had a decent game."

What a load of tosh. You don't buy someone for 80m, make him captain and then have such low standards for him.
Someone always cocks something up, doesn’t mean they overall had a bad performance.

Stick Maguire in Citys team and he’ll be rock solid, stick AWB in Citys team and he’ll be one of their most disliked players.

Maguire obviously has his flaws, but this season we’ve taken it to the extreme when it comes to highlighting them and pretty much consistently putting our central defence in situations they really shouldn’t be in. The problem starts at the front but centre midfield is easily one of the biggest issues. It’s a bit like Vidic and Rio Ferdinand when Moyes took over, the opposition pretty much had a highway through our central midfield and again and again the opposition could run at our defence. They went from looking rock solid to 10 years past their due date In one season.

Not sure why people are so desperate to aim criticism at Maguire, he’s far away from being one of the main issues in the squad. Sort out a first team striker, central midfield, fullbacks, then and only then it might be time to consider doing something with our cb situation

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Someone always cocks something up, doesn’t mean they overall had a bad performance.

Stick Maguire in Citys team and he’ll be rock solid, stick AWB in Citys team and he’ll be one of their most disliked players.

Maguire obviously has his flaws, but this season we’ve taken it to the extreme when it comes to highlighting them and pretty much consistently putting our central defence in situations they really shouldn’t be in. The problem starts at the front but centre midfield is easily one of the biggest issues. It’s a bit like Vidic and Rio Ferdinand when Moyes took over, the opposition pretty much had a highway through our central midfield and again and again the opposition could run at our defence. They went from looking rock solid to 10 years past their due date In one season.

Not sure why people are so desperate to aim criticism at Maguire, he’s far away from being one of the main issues in the squad. Sort out a first team striker, central midfield, fullbacks, then and only then it might be time to consider doing something with our cb situation
Maguire wouldn’t be rock solid at City

united for life

the problem is that it has now come down to this. It’s about whether it is his worst game or not - lost hope on a good game.

unlucky with the deflection, but it seems everything is going wrong for him at the moment

sewey89

the problem is that it has now come down to this. It’s about whether it is his worst game or not - lost hope on a good game.

unlucky with the deflection, but it seems everything is going wrong for him at the moment
Probably the wrong wording from me. After an iffy start and the mistake in the second half, I thought he was fine today.

AshRK

An interim manager deciding on the captain?
The fact that he has 2 more years at the club, shouldn't he be making more commanding decisions. Every tom dick and harry can see Maguire shouldn't be the captain and yet our interim manager keeps on defending him. Surely RR has to take some responsibility, otherwise what's the point of him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The fact that he has 2 more years at the club, shouldn't he be making more commanding decisions. Every tom dick and harry can see Maguire shouldn't be the captain and yet our interim manager keeps on defending him. Surely RR has to take some responsibility, otherwise what's the point of him.
The fact the new manager is coming in the summer is excactly why you do not pick the captain for them. Otherwise they have a problem if they do not agree with your choice

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Who should our captain be? There's barely a player that is a guaranteed starter next season. Bruno isn't captain material.

Changing wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to our performances.

AshRK

Who should our captain be? There's barely a player that is a guaranteed starter next season. Bruno isn't captain material.
Maguire definitely isn't. And I don't think it's helping him either. Maybe just take some pressure off him by having someone else take that burden.

Foxbatt

Who has two more years? Ralf is only going to be a consultant and consultants do not make decisions. They can only advise. He is an interim manager and only here till May. The new manager has to make that call.

Blood Mage

He's crap and shouldn't be playing but feck me he hasn't half had some bad luck this season. He's cursed.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Maguire definitely isn't. And I don't think it's helping him either. Maybe just take some pressure off him by having someone else take that burden.
We haven't got anyone worth changing for. It's a squad devoid of leaders apart from Ronaldo who is past it.

led_scholes

You can put Maguire to 2003 Milan and he would still look average. He wouldn't look that bad because the rest of the team would be great, but he would still be the outlier by far in that team. He is average, stupid and arrogant. And his last trait is what has made him a meme. Before he was just average and stupid who was just following orders.

After he signed with us and was made captain, he probably even believed they hype. And that's not only in his game. He was caught by overweight, middle aged police men in Greece and he was just shouting "I m the captain of Manchester United". An average CB who overnight was made by an inadequate manager the captain of one of the biggest clubs in the world, and the most expensive defender. That captaincy ruined any of his decent traits.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The crazy thing is that Greece incident probably doesn't make the top five of his worst feck ups for us.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
On one hand, he is a proactive defender who loves chasing for the ball , which gives him lots of defensive stats (like duels won, tackles, etc), people judging players on stats would think he is good.
There’s a difference between proactive and aggressive defenders. He’s an aggressive stopper that goes for a tackle/interception as early as possible (unlike, say, Varane, who is a covering defender), but he’s not a proactive defender. Proactive defender moves in a way that minimizes those 1 on 1 situations, Harry simply doesn’t have the spatial awareness & calmness that’s required for this role.

Cannavaro wasn’t a proactive defender, for example, and Maguire is playing in the same style (just not nearly as good).

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not blaming him for the own goal that much. But it just embodies his season. It had to be him, nkt lindelof, not AWB (who was shite for the goal) it’s Maguire who it has deflected it and cost us the win against one of the worst teams in the league

Bwuk

Not blaming him for the own goal that much. But it just embodies his season. It had to be him, nkt lindelof, not AWB (who was shite for the goal) it’s Maguire who it has deflected it and cost us the win against one of the worst teams in the league
Pretty much. Nothings gone right for him - he really needs to go. I can’t see him recovering from this season mentally tbh.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Luck or not, he is always the one who fecks up the goal. Guy fecks up something nearly every game.

copen1945

He, at least, is an old-fashioned honest player. He called for a handball from one of our own.

Status
Not open for further replies.