Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Rash

Really hope ETH takes the tough (but necessary) decision to take the Captain's armband off of Maguire.

I just fail to see any leader qualities whatsoever. I think this is partially down to his level of play being so poor this season that it's difficult to shout at other players who are making mistakes.

When you consider how someone like Neville, Keane or Cantona would have reacted to that kind of performance you can't help but feel with one of those players we would at least have put up a fight. It's quite shocking how passive he is, even if you feel he isn't good enough to be playing for Man Utd, his level as a captain is even worse in my opinion.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Really hope ETH takes the tough (but necessary) decision to take the Captain's armband off of Maguire.

I just fail to see any leader qualities whatsoever. I think this is partially down to his level of play being so poor this season that it's difficult to shout at other players who are making mistakes.

When you consider how someone like Neville, Keane or Cantona would have reacted to that kind of performance you can't help but feel with one of those players we would at least have put up a fight. It's quite shocking how passive he is, even if you feel he isn't good enough to be playing for Man Utd, his level as a captain is even worse in my opinion.
Fair enough but who should he give it to instead?

The only alternative is Bruno who spends every game giving the ball away and rolling around on the floor pretending he's hurt.

De Gea doesn't speak on the pitch and probably shouldn't be playing in a ETH team.

Ronaldo hopefully won't be starting games next season.

Varane can't stay fit for more than two games in a row.

And that's it...

Last edited:

Red Rash

It's a difficult one because we will probably end up having to give it to a less than perfect Captain but at least someone more competent than Maguire.

In my opinion the candidates are:

Ronaldo - showed yesterday his petulance though which is a worry

Bruno - more vocal on the pitch but also needs to cut out the petulance to be a good captain

De Gea - I usually prefer an outfield player as captain but I think he is probably the most worthy at this point

Leftback99

It's a difficult one because we will probably end up having to give it to a less than perfect Captain but at least someone more competent than Maguire.

Bruno - more vocal on the pitch but also needs to cut out the petulance to be a good captain

De Gea - I usually prefer an outfield player as captain but I think he is probably the most worthy at this point
Edited before I saw your reply. If there was an obvious strong leader in the group it's an easy decision but there isn't.

Smithy89

Never checks his shoulder, and doesn't close down quick enough in and around the box. Moves like someone who needs a zimmer frame.

Crashoutcassius

Hot take : his form is Ralfs fault because he is the coach and coaches the players to play a particular way. Harry has been a pro for nearly ten years and this is by far the worst he has looked, under Ralf. You wouldn't play teddy sheringham and ask him to run in behind, why can't we apply the same logic to one of the most consistent players we had pre Ralf

Smithy89

Hot take : his form is Ralfs fault because he is the coach and coaches the players to play a particular way. Harry has been a pro for nearly ten years and this is by far the worst he has looked, under Ralf. You wouldn't play teddy sheringham and ask him to run in behind, why can't we apply the same logic to one of the most consistent players we had pre Ralf
To be fair Ole started the higher line and more possession based change in the style, in his early days we were a counter attacking side who sat at least 10-15 yards deeper in some games. Funnily enough this style also suited the likes of Rashford also.

Crashoutcassius

To be fair Ole started the higher line and more possession based change in the style, in his early days we were a counter attacking side who sat at least 10-15 yards deeper in some games. Funnily enough this style also suited the likes of Rashford also.
Yeah agree with what you have said there. Ole always felt a pressure to stop playing on the break. Rightly or wrongly. But was never playing to his or the teams strengths I felt like

OrcaFat

Of those three, Bruno surely. Can’t see the point of giving it to a 37 year old who can’t wait to get out of here. Or a keeper.

Leftback99

Bruno - the best alternative we have for captain:
Nearly every clip there would be used as a stick to beat Maguire with on here about how bad a player he is, and that's without the playacting and general whining he does all game.

Foxbatt

Who was it against when Barthez was raising his arm asking for an offside? That was far worse. But I really hate it when players do it.
Barthez knew De Canio was onside and he was trying to fool him so that if he stops playing United get away with it.

marcus agrippa

And that's it...
You say that as if Maguire being captain was inevitable. This is a guy who hadn't been at the club two minutes before Solskjaer in his boundless wisdom made him captain of Manchester United. A guy whose only accomplishment in elite level football was four relegations!

The previous manager made a bad decision. We shouldn't be condemned to live with it.

marcus agrippa

So what are you saying? Manchester United should play deep, protect their weak centre half with two DMs, soak up pressure and hit on the counter?

Elite teams accommodate generational talents, but not the likes of Harry Feckin Maguire.

Leftback99

You say that as if Maguire being captain was inevitable. This is a guy who hadn't been at the club two minutes before Solskjaer in his boundless wisdom made him captain of Manchester United. A guy whose only accomplishment in elite level football was four relegations!

The previous manager made a bad decision. We shouldn't be condemned to live with it.
So who should be captain now? And who should Solskjaer have given it to?

AndySmith1990

See this right here is a long running problem for us. We keep arguing about how we change the way we play to accommodate players. How many fecking discussions have there been about how we change the team to get the best out of Pogba? Now we're going to do the same with Maguire too? Nah. The best teams don't build teams around a player, they buy and develop players to fit the system. If Maguire isn't capable of learning or listening to instructions then bin him off

lsd

The Oracle
So you can't answer as I expected. Easy saying he shouldn't be captain, harder coming up with a good alternative as I've outlined above.

Anyone but Maguire and I do mean literally anyone else.

Maguire has always been the worst choice for Captain. He does not possess an ounce of leadership qualities.

No matter who else you give it to in the entire squad you can be be guaranteed they would be better suited for the role

marcus agrippa

So you can't answer as I expected. Easy saying he shouldn't be captain, harder coming up with a good alternative as I've outlined above.
Do I really need to spell it out? Mourinho's policy, which I agree with, is that the player with the greatest longevity at the club gets made captain, with the understanding that there are multiple captains actually partaking of the responsibility of leadership.

Solskjaer couldn't do that, could he? Because of what DDG said in an interview after a bad result, remember? So he did the cargo-**** manager thing characteristic of his management and gave it to the big British lad he just signed.

And look at the evidence: Maguire's tenure as captain has been a disaster. We're still in the midst of the wreckage. No question about it, an awful decision that needs rectifying.

Leftback99

Do I really need to spell it out? Mourinho's policy, which I agree with, is that the player with the greatest longevity at the club gets made captain, with the understanding that there are multiple captains actually partaking of the responsibility of leadership.

Solskjaer couldn't do that, could he? Because of what DDG said in an interview after a bad result, remember? So he did the cargo-**** manager thing characteristic of his management and gave it to the big British lad he just signed.

And look at the evidence: Maguire's tenure as captain has been a disaster. We're still in the midst of the wreckage. No question about it, an awful decision that needs rectifying.
So just base it on something that has nothing to do with leadership? Which is fair enough I suppose, given the complete lack of options we have. Results wouldn't have been any different with such a weak captain so it would still be a disaster as you say.

Kingofwinners

Job one take it off Maguire, need to start setting something resembling standards.
give it to Ronald until end of season, at least he is someone you can look up to over a long career and is worthy of the honour.
In the summer we need a new leader on the pitch and a clear out. If we don’t have a couple of strong candidates then we have failed yet again.

marcus agrippa

Again, look at the alternatives at the time. The reason you can't give an answer other than 'time served'. He was the best option of a terrible bunch.
Come on!

So, based on what evidence did Maguire show leadership? Was he even Leicester captain? Five minutes in the door at the biggest club in England and he's the captain? Even he must know he's a fraud.

Now we have this completely unnecessary circus around him, and for what?

Leftback99

Come on!

So, based on what evidence did Maguire show leadership? Was he even Leicester captain? Five minutes in the door at the biggest club in England and he's the captain? Even he must know he's a fraud.

Now we have this completely unnecessary circus around him, and for what?
I'll just list the alternatives at the time instead. Martial, Pereira, Shaw, AWB, James, Rashford, Fred, McTominay, Matic, Pogba, Lindelof, DDG. Most of them don't even speak on the pitch.

marcus agrippa

I'll just list the alternatives at the time instead. Martial, Pereira, Shaw, AWB, James, Rashford, Fred, McTominay, Matic, Pogba, Lindelof, DDG. Most of them don't even speak on the pitch.
Captaincy is more than just shouting. You gotta have credibility, earn the right to be followed. Who among the players there at the club will look at Maguire and say to themselves: hey, I'll follow that guy? I mean, imagine you're DDG; you've won the title, and in walks this guy who's done nothing, and he just gets handed the armband. What credibility does he have to tell you anything? Why should you even listen? You've been at the club longer. You know what it feels like to be in a title race, to lose it, to win it. All he has is relegations. Me, I'd just tune out. Even Keane had to earn his stripes.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Just hoping someone is daft enough to buy him. Average player who isn’t worth half of what we paid. Has to be covered by the midfielders infront of him the full back and his center back partner, thats 3-5 players who have to cover captain bombscare.

Any chance Southgate gets a club job and makes him his priority signing?

Worst captain in my time of watching Utd.

DDG should be captain, has shown more fight and desire for this club than slab head has or will ever show. Id even have Phil Jones as captain before him!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
2 tackles, 3 interceptions, 5 clearances, 7 aerial duels won, 2 shots, 1 key pass, 87.5% passing accuracy and all we hear from the "experts" in TheCaf is:

"omg he has to go".
"worst player ever".
"Too many loose passes".
"Can't defend to save his life".

I don't mind calling out players who have bad games but it's getting really pathetic with the way most of you look for the bad from Maguire and ignore all the good. He didn't set his price and he didn't make himself captain. Get over it...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Maguire has his issue but I don't see what was wrong with his performance against Everton?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
2 tackles, 3 interceptions, 5 clearances, 7 aerial duels won, 2 shots, 1 key pass, 87.5% passing accuracy and all we hear from the "experts" in TheCaf is:

"omg he has to go".
"worst player ever".
"Too many loose passes".

I don't mind calling out players who have bad games but it's getting really pathetic with the way most of you look for the bad from Maguire and ignore all the good. He didn't set his price and he didn't make himself captain. Get over it...
Absolutely. He was ok against Everton, but still gets ridiculous amounts of hate. We know he was overpriced, I think it would do him a favour taking the captaincy off him and he has limitations, but the hate he gets from his own team's supporters is about as bad as I've ever seen.

You don't need oppo fans trying to get under his own skin when many our own lovely fans hate him to the point of some actively wishing he gets career threatening injuries.

Mercurial

He need to be upgraded to a regular player instead of captain so he doesn't have to point around so much and instead can use those moments to fully focus on his own game and be on point himself.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He would be viewed much better without the arm band.

Watching a captain making mistakes is not good. Being just a normal player making mistakes makes him just another United player.

AndySmith1990

"omg he has to go".
"worst player ever".
"Too many loose passes".

It's more interesting hearing from experts on the caf who give their honest opinion, over those who resort to copying and pasting stats

OrcaFat

He played fine again. He mostly does. He has the odd mistake in him but nearly all CBs do. Lots of goals come from defensive errors.

He’s not at his best this season but I think he will get it back. Captaincy-wise, it would help if he could get his best form back but we’ve seen in this thread that there are no better candidates really. “Anyone but Maguire” is as pointless as it comes.

JB7

He played fine again. He mostly does. He has the odd mistake in him but nearly all CBs do. Lots of goals come from defensive errors.

He’s not at his best this season but I think he will get it back. Captaincy-wise, it would help if he could get his best form back but we’ve seen in this thread that there are no better candidates really. “Anyone but Maguire” is as pointless as it comes.
This is the crux of the issue. It's easy to throw out "Maguire shouldn't be captain" but the alternate options just aren't there. The only other player on the pitch who does as much talking and trying to organise the team is Ronaldo, but people don't think he should be in the team next season. There's Bruno, who I think is the most viable alternative but he seems to spend most of his time rolling around and bitching when the chips are down. The other most experienced players such as Varane, Matic, Cavani, Pogba, Mata etc aren't regulars for various reasons and as such can't be relied upon. Then you've got players you might look to in terms of time served at the club such as Rashford, Shaw, McTominay, Bailly, Lingard, Jones and I'd love to see the Caf reactions if any of those were made captain. Finally you've got De Gea who is a mute in a position it's critical to be vocal, who is is probably the most comical suggestion people could possibly make to be a captain.

I understand the issues with Maguire but the a) alternate options just aren't there and b) the guys confidence is through the floor anyway so why completely kill him off? If the new manager comes in and wants to make a change, fine, but at this point it would seem pointless.

Gordon Godot

Put him in city and watch them crumble to pieces. Never ever would he keep up with citys tempo.
I love the idea that MAguire would succeed at City. He is as far from a Pep defender is imaginable. Totally immobile (Slow and turns like a tanker), poor control and limited passing. How we ever decided he was a world record centre back is beyond him. He is solid Premier league player, Leicester his level. End of

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Of all the reasons to criticise Maguire (and there are clearly a few), being responsible for the deflection is an absurd take. The only way to avoid a shot being deflected off you is to not to stick your leg out to block the shot in the first place, something for which he’d be absolutely slated.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It's more interesting hearing from experts on the caf who give their honest opinion, over those who resort to copying and pasting stats
Their "honest opinion" sounds like when someone talks about "the truth" about crap we know they're lying about. People aren't giving their honest opinions. They are muppets and are just repeating what others are telling them to think

Status
Not open for further replies.