Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Velvet Revolver

As other poster said, It’s up there as one of the worst seasons in awhile but as a player no chance. He’s put in some brilliant performances for club and country and is a good player on form. It was only last season the whole fanbase bemoaned the fact he would miss the Europa league final (which ended up costing us). Overall he’s a better player than Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof, Evans so to truly answer no, he’s not even close to the worst.
On what basis? what have you seen in him to warrant this statement? with the lot we have i'd take any of the defenders listed instead of him any day because they all have a functioning brain.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Bailly, Jones and Rojo used to get stick all the time but this guy gets a free pass?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
On what basis? what have you seen in him to warrant this statement? with the lot we have i'd take any of the defenders listed instead of him any day because they all have a functioning brain.
Smalling couldn’t play modern football, shocking on the ball and for me had as many mistakes in him. Maguire has proven to be better for club and country this season aside.

Jones and Bailly are never fit and both make horrible mistakes on the regular because of combination of fitness and being stupid (ironic you’d say Maguire is less of a thinker than these).

He’s played alongside Lindelof and clearly shown he’s a better player. Last season we missed Maguire in the Europa final and Lindelof fell apart without him.

Evans is the closest to him ans is a good player but I’ve rarely seen a player with a weaker mentality at Utd. He had the chance to step up after Rio/Vidic and delivered a shocking season well on par with Maguire’s poor season this time around.

Overall, recently bias aside Maguire has just shown a much better combination of fitness and attributes than any of the others. He’s directly competed with most of then and despite inconsistencies he’s looked the best of the bunch more often than not. Again it won’t go don’t well on here though because Maguire has been declared the worst player 4everrr on social media.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I'm just answering your question. What was your point?
My point was that he is shite. Playing for England means squat, which is why I mentioned the likes of Fred and Bailly who play for their countries also but are constantly slammed on here.

RonaldoVII

My point was that he is shite. Playing for England means squat, which is why I mentioned the likes of Fred and Bailly who play for their countries also but are constantly slammed on here.
Why isn't Maguire shite for England? Also Ivory Coast are hardly on England's level. And people slating Fred are beyond help.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Why isn't Maguire shite for England? Also Ivory Coast are hardly on England's level. And people slating Fred are beyond help.
We all know that Southgate doesn't pick on form but goes by name. And most of England's games have been against lesser teams.

RonaldoVII

We all know that Southgate doesn't pick on form but goes by name. And most of England's games have been against lesser teams.
How has that been working out for Rashford and Sancho? Maguire was in the Euro 2020 team of the tournament, hardly shite then was he.

Velvet Revolver

Smalling couldn’t play modern football, shocking on the ball and for me had as many mistakes in him. Maguire has proven to be better for club and country this season aside.
-- Smalling was a better 'Defender' than Maguire is. proven to be better for club how? what have we won with him in the team?

Jones and Bailly are never fit and both make horrible mistakes on the regular because of combination of fitness and being stupid (ironic you’d say Maguire is less of a thinker than these).
-- Agree on the fitness issue but as a defenders and players they are much more mobile, faster, and better players than Maguire. Just because Maguire is fit doesn't make him a better defender he is just available more than others.

He’s played alongside Lindelof and clearly shown he’s a better player. Last season we missed Maguire in the Europa final and Lindelof fell apart without him.
-- Lindelof has played better when he is with Varane and Bailly. Maybe the issue is Maguire?

Evans is the closest to him ans is a good player but I’ve rarely seen a player with a weaker mentality at Utd. He had the chance to step up after Rio/Vidic and delivered a shocking season well on par with Maguire’s poor season this time around.
-- Stepping up to fill Rio/Vidic is a humongous task any good defender would fall short. Not saying Evans should not have stepped up, so you are ready to slate Evans after one bad season but want to give Maguire many more to correct himself?

Overall, recently bias aside Maguire has just shown a much better combination of fitness and attributes than any of the others. He’s directly competed with most of then and despite inconsistencies he’s looked the best of the bunch more often than not. Again it won’t go don’t well on here though because Maguire has been declared the worst player 4everrr on social media.
-- I have never rated Maguire. He is a decent defender not united material unfortunately. It is clear that he lacks the necessary tools to succeed let alone be a captain for united.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
How has that been working out for Rashford and Sancho? Maguire was in the Euro 2020 team of the tournament, hardly shite then was he.
**sigh** so was Romelu Lukaku. You're not very good at this are you?

Anyway, make the most of him this season, cause he won't be starting next season that's for sure.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Bailly, Jones and Rojo used to get stick all the time but this guy gets a free pass?
Have you missed the 1,000s of posts on this forum alone of people moaning about Maguire?
Or was this just an absolutely ridiculously dim thing to post that you now regret?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Have you missed the 1,000s of posts on this forum alone of people moaning about Maguire?
Or was this just an absolutely ridiculously dim thing to post that you now regret?
Um no, these montages are always informative. This is his performance thread isn't it?

RonaldoVII

**sigh** so was Romelu Lukaku. You're not very good at this are you?

Anyway, make the most of him this season, cause he won't be starting next season that's for sure.
Lukaku is a bad player now is he? It's almost like players play better in some systems than others.#

Has to be the dimmest post of 2022 doesn't it. By a long way :lol:
:lol: quite an award to win given the season we've had.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The irony. Glaring weaknesses need addressing otherwise the club will go nowhere. I'll support every player that shows they're up to it consistently enough.
If your agenda is that strong against Maguire that you want him replaced then we need to sign 3 central defenders who are better, because as it stands, Maguire is our second best central defender. You don't improve a team by replacing players at the top. YOu improve a team by replacing players at the bottom. So first we replace Bailly, then Lindelof, then we can find someone to replace Maguire (I don't even count Jones but if I did then it would mean we sign 4). But that probably makes too much sense for your mind to comprehend

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The thing is VVD will still do well in the scenario. Maguire with one or two or 3 DM's and word class keeper will continue to make the mistakes he's been doing this season. Yes agree he is blamed for all things bad with united but he doesn't help the cause he makes it worse with his lack of decision making.

He is slow, he does not read the game well - Two very important things needed in a CB let alone a CB for a club aspiring to be at the top.
His decision making is fine. The problem is that the agenda is so strong against him everything he does is put under a microscope and over analyzed to death in order to find ways to blame him

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You and your logic are absolutely hilarious. Yes I am brainwashed over Maguire, I sit here reading other peoples quotes and repeat it. Your words are basic and so is your intellect so I agree with one thing, there is no point talking with me. Good riddance :D
At least you can finally admit it. Don't worry though...you aren't alone. There are a ton of muppets here

Velvet Revolver

His decision making is fine. The problem is that the agenda is so strong against him everything he does is put under a microscope and over analyzed to death in order to find ways to blame him
Its not really. Not at all. If you watch the games you can see that he choses the wrong option 7 out of 10 times. I will list a few

1. Heading balls back into no mans land for no reason whatsoever. Without being pressured if i may add
2. Rushing into players for no reason.
3. Getting in the way of other defenders.
4. Holding the ball for way too long on his feet.
5. Not having the self realization that he is slow and can be turned over by a someone with an ounce of pace but still being out of position.
6. Zero command over the defensive setup. As a leader and main CB he needs to communicate with other defenders.
7. Misses more headers than connect in his own penalty box
8. Delayed responses inside the box

I can go on but you get the point. Like i said he is a decent defender but not good enough for United. Unless he decides to correct his weakness

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Not that i put the blame on the goalkeeper wholly but the defenders have to defend everything in the box as the goalkeeper is glued to his line.

it would be nice for the defenders not to pass it onto the keeper not always but at least know he is going to deal with his fair share of balls into the box and behind the defense.

as for the Norwich goal on 1st look it appears to be Maguire over committing but the more i watch the lack of awareness by the other players who just let players run off them and thats not to absolve Maguire either he probably does go a few steps to far but that goal even if Maguire goes is preventable if the other players go with the runners.

its probably time to call time on his time here really for his benefit and ours but i cannot see it, we have upwards of 7/8 players likely off in the summer let alone letting senior members of team leave as well there is no way we are getting the money to replace all these players in one window.
But maguire isnt making highly sophisticated tactical error that resulted from lack of passing gk.

His error are selfmade and clumsy. No excuse.

Infact it's DDG who got the short hand of the deal having to deal with so many players he failed to mark

luke511

If your agenda is that strong against Maguire that you want him replaced then we need to sign 3 central defenders who are better, because as it stands, Maguire is our second best central defender. You don't improve a team by replacing players at the top. YOu improve a team by replacing players at the bottom. So first we replace Bailly, then Lindelof, then we can find someone to replace Maguire (I don't even count Jones but if I did then it would mean we sign 4). But that probably makes too much sense for your mind to comprehend
Irony overload.. That actually makes very little sense. Buying a quality CB to replace Maguire in the line up, with Varane injury free that would have Varane and the new CB starting, with Lindelof, Bailly and Maguire as back up on the bench. No idea behind your logic of having to sign 3 CBs to replace Maguire as a starter.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Hes certainly had the worst season a CB has had for us in the PL era

Maguire at his best though is still comfortably better than some of the CB's we've had down the years though (not high praise though I know)
John O'Shea at his best nutmeg Figo.

Its what you do week in week out that counts as a CB. Brilliant tackle is only the bonus icing

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
A FREE PASS?! :lol: have you read this thread?
I was just about to reply with almost identical words :p

The level of shit thrown at our players (not just Maguire) from supposed members of our fan base is unreal. You can't help but question if many of these people are United fans at all.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Buying Harry Maguire and 'we looked at 804 RB's before choosing Aaron Wank Bissaka' must be corporate malfeasance
I suspect that such comment was meant as a jab towards United's former way of doing things which relied heavily on the football people ability to spot a talent without the need of technology. Back then Jon Murtough was busy 'restructuring' the recruitment and scouting department through buzz words such as data analysing etc. There's nothing necessary wrong with using technology to aid decision making. However as a data analyst myself I assure you that stats gives part of a picture. It requires experience and brains to interpret that data correctly. Maguire and AWB are one dimensional players who can only be efficient in a defence that defends in numbers and in a deep line. At a combined price of 130m one expects to sign players who can fit well in different systems just in case the manager decides to change his game. Unfortunately our geniuses couldn't figure out that football was moving on and that a deep line defence was becoming increasingly unsuited for a top team in the EPL.

Which is why I believe that United need some serious restructuring. In my opinion Rangnick should become sporting director with Mitchell as head of recruitment

Liverpool 4:0 Man Utd

Woodenlung

Played poorly.

Don't think the two goals he's being blamed for are his fault fault as some of the usual agenda peddlers will no doubt posit. Needs the season to end and to regather. Much like the rest of his teammates.

Based Adnan

Disgrace in every sense of the word. What the club does with Maguire this summer will indicate if we're trying to be serious or not. Move him on whatever it costs us.

arnie_ni

Made a mistake for 3 of the 4 goals. Not necessarily the main one but a mistake none the less

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Maybe he isn't the worst player, maybe I'm very harsh but I feel that he symbolises everything wrong with this club at the moment.

We need to move on. There is no coming back from this, he has lost trust of fans. He's a walking meme, like it or not. Better for him to move on too, he's better than this and this too big of a step. He doesn't understand this club at all

Status
Not open for further replies.