Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Managing a national team has little to with clubs. Deschamps does this, he will trust a core of trusted players and he will play them regardless of club form and so do many managers of other national teams.
I'd understand the issue if Maguire was a bench warmer at Utd and still started at Utd

romufc

I don’t think any player thinks oh maguire and stones is our best pairing. That’s what you think and fair enough.

England is a good team based on their broad list of attacking players. Not the defense.
In the Euros, When Stones and Maguire started, England conceded 0 goals from open play.

So how is that the defence isnt good?

diarm

Maguire has played 14 England games since October 2020, with 12 wins, no defeats, 10 clean sheets and also six (yes really: six) England goals. Really? You want to drop this guy?
Those numbers are incredible.

I doubt there is an international defender on the planet with the same stats in that period of time.

PoTMS

So the current England manager (our most successful since Sir Alf, lest we forget) and both of the last two United managers are complete clowns but LUHGMike off Twitter and the footballing superbrains of the likes of Paul Merson (sacked by Walsall) and Paul Scholes (generally lasts about three games per club) are telling the real truths....?

Sure.
Wow. I don't know where to start. Talk about reaching.

Marwood

When you have good attacking players, the game usually occur on the opposition side, which causes less to do for the defence.
But that's not this England team is it. For all the attacking talents we have we're not actually that good at attacking.

We are instead very solid. Very hard to beat. Which Maguire at CB is obviously a big part of.

RedDevil@84

Maguire in England NT cannot be compared with Maguire at the club. England NT is basically a defensive team that is playing for the 1-0 wins. Southgate did not use magic or come up with a unique methodology or anything. He made it a defense first team. Everyone has a solid defensive role to play. And that works very well for the defenders. In fact, England are wasting a generation of attacking talent by continuing with Southgate football. But that is a different discussion.

Such football will not be acceptable at United. Fans would riot. Jose got us to 2nd by employing this kind of defensive football. Maguire cannot have all that extra defensive coverage at United.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Maguire in England NT cannot be compared with Maguire at the club. England NT is basically a defensive team that is playing for the 1-0 wins. Southgate did not use magic or come up with a unique methodology or anything. He made it a defense first team. Everyone has a solid defensive role to play. And that works very well for the defenders. In fact, England are wasting a generation of attacking talent by continuing with Southgate football. But that is a different discussion.

Such football will not be acceptable at United. Fans would riot. Jose got us to 2nd by employing this kind of defensive football. Maguire cannot have all that extra defensive coverage at United.
This is not how international football works fella. You don't just pick a bunch of players that play for different clubs, that train together for a few weeks a year and expect the same free-flowing, fast-paced instinctive attacking football you get at club level.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We heard it from Pogba and Shaw too. Right now I think playing for NT is like a refreshment for some players. So its no wonder if they perform better with NT. In the case of Maguire I dont think its because 3 at the back, the system, or Southgate effect. It is simply because when he plays for England he is more confident.

I hope next season with a new manager coming in, the spirit will be lifted up. Because right now it doesnt matter who comes in or out, the season had already been ruined. It is very demotivating even for the fans let alone players. If next season he is still shit then I dont see any reason to keep him if theres a potential buyer.

MattofManchester

Fact of the matter is he just doesn't suit a team that likes to play high and press from the front. It seems to do his head in.

The England setup suits him, the setup by Solskjaer last season suited him, before it seems he succumbed to trying to make us a more possession dominant team.

In a team that sits deep, he's very effective. Still has a mistake in him but much more consistent. In the opposite direction, he looks lost and out of place.

It is what it is.

Man Utd 1:1 Leicester

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He was really good tonight. And the fact that this thread hasn’t been bumped already shows that. Hes not been as bad as people have made out for about a month now, but today was his best game for a long while

Based Adnan

Very lucky for the disallowed goal. Committed himself to the floor for absolutely nothing.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He was really good tonight. And the fact that this thread hasn’t been bumped already shows that. Hes not been as bad as people have made out for about a month now, but today was his best game for a long while
Leicester were barely threatening
and he still did this
:lol:

Roboc7

Not great but better than he has been, arguably one of the better performers today but it’s such a low bar so that’s not saying much.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Had a decent game. Above average performance by his standards, average performance by United standards.

sewey89

Leicester were barely threatening
and he still did this
:lol:
Because the defence did their job, maybe?

Missed a tackle where he was blocked by a fouled teammate? Christ. I’ve never known a player be examined every second as much as he is.

He played well.

Stadjer

Not bad but nothing special that stood out as a good performance either. Just a normal 6/10 performance. He was the best of the back four though.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Agreed he was fairly decent at the back today. But I am starting to have another issue with him now and it's that how quiet he has been as a captain. Fecking hell, Roy Keane would never allowed player half arsedly go into challenges like today, would be all over anyone.

I understand he's lacking a bit of confidence all things considered this season but c'mon maybe you shouldn't be the captain we need. We need someone who hates losing, someone who will fecking hate to concede possession every single time, will demand perfection for the attacking play and pressing.

Sadly we don't have anyone and even though Harry is not a bad player, next manager will need to have a big call imho. This can't continue like this. Unless the new manager finds other way to motivate all the players to play at high level and intensity.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Missed a tackle where he was blocked by a fouled teammate? Christ. I’ve never known a player be examined every second as much as he is.

He played well.
Just wait for a team that goes at us and presses us and don't go missing when he fecks up. Maguire under pressure is a ticking time bomb

sewey89

Agreed he was fairly decent at the back today. But I am starting to have another issue with him now and it's that how quiet he has been as a captain. Fecking hell, Roy Keane would never allowed player half arsedly go into challenges like today, would be all over anyone.

I understand he's lacking a bit of confidence all things considered this season but c'mon maybe you shouldn't be the captain we need. We need someone who hates losing, someone who will fecking hate to concede possession every single time, will demand perfection for the attacking play and pressing.

Sadly we don't have anyone and even though Harry is not a bad player, next manager will need to have a big call imho. This can't continue like this. Unless the new manager finds other way to motivate all the players to play at high level and intensity.
I do agree with that, I think the team is missing that as a whole though and those types of player aren’t as common as they were 20 years ago.

sewey89

Just wait for a team that goes at us and presses us and don't go missing when he fecks up. Maguire under pressure is a ticking time bomb
Ok. I find the desperation for him to play badly very bizarre.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Good today. He'd have been blamed for their goal if he'd have played Varane's part (or lack of).

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
If he had played like Varane today the likes of @Andycoleno9 would be here in no time. I wonder if they are as quick to call out mistakes by other players. Well I already know the answer.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
General shitness of the game overall aside... Anybody have any idea why him and Varane swapped sides today?

Maguire was RCB with Varane LCB.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

He played well.
RIght? Now they are even scapegoating him for goals that didn't count. Pathetic bunch we have. Maguire was contender for man of the match today. Imagine if it was him who didn't pick up iheanavho for their goal instead of Varane? TheCaf would be going into meltdown...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
General shitness of the game overall aside... Anybody have any idea why him and Varane swapped sides today?

Maguire was RCB with Varane LCB.
We don't have a natural left footed central defender so Maguire has been playing there. RCB would probably be his more natural position so my guess is they swapped to get him in his natural spot to help get his confidence back up.

sewey89

Desperation? I want fecking world class players in this team not some pretenders who then have fans on here simping for them.
:lol: give it a rest. I’ve been critical of him when he’s been poor, but I don’t see him as being as bad as people make out. Good player in poor form and hopefully today was a sign of him playing himself back into form

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Overall did well today, but not sure why he decided to go to ground moments before their disallowed goal? If he stays on his feet that would have been the chance over.

Amarsdd

If he had played like Varane today the likes of @Andycoleno9 would be here in no time. I wonder if they are as quick to call out mistakes by other players. Well I already know the answer.
Same. There were a good handful of times where I was thinking if that was Maguire instead of Varane, the caf would be going mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.