Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

I remember us playing a higher line when Henderson dethroned de gea and Maguire looked much better during that time for playing in a high line I thought.
Yeah, and it came with more positive results, even when Romero had a decent run in the team it was the same story over his games.

DDG is the best paid goalkeeper in the world and he gets praised every week for his one ability. In 10 years he's shown little or no improvement in his game.

Perhaps Maguire could cope with the higher line, with a more proactive keeper behind him, I have my doubts. But, him and DDG as part of that defence together have been prerty much constant figures and have conceded over a goal per game on average for 3 seasons now.

AFC NimbleThumb

Was Hummels quick? Fairly sure he’s always been a slowish CB and that didn’t stop Dortmund and Bayern playing the football Rio’s talking about. I don’t think Rio has much a clue, to be honest. Nice guy but a terrible pundit.
When I agree with you, I usually do entirely. This is one of this occasions. I’m no Maguire fan but I think it’s more than his slowness that impedes him for United.

United in sin

That was when he was being coached by Frans Hoek, the only time he has really shown any improvements in the sweeping & distribution side of his game. Once he left with Van Gaal we brought De Gea's coach from Atletico, Alvarez, and almost overnight all progress was lost and he was back to being the prehistoric goal-line keeper we see today.

As for Maguire, he's fine in a high line and has shown it for us last season and with England at times. He's badly out of form and has been pretty much all season and he suffers more than any other player from the lack of any relationship with the goalkeeper. He's not quick but everybody knows that and it's not something that tends to us cost him even in a higher line.
This post is full of falsehoods and excuses as pertains to Maguire. When does bad form eventually become the norm for a player? Is there a time limit for you? Maguire has been piss poor for ages. His lack of speed in mind and body has led to the majority of the issues that have plagued him in his time at United and he's had nowhere to hide this season. He's simply not tailored for this team or the systems both managers he's worked under have tried to implement.

This 'bad form' has followed him from last season and has only got worse. I'd classify this as acute deterioration on his part going into his prime years. The memes, the comedy video compilations of his errors and the scrutiny of his poor performances all began last season. It has all led to this eventuality.

JB7

This post is full of falsehoods and excuses as pertains to Maguire. When does bad form eventually become the norm for a player? Is there a time limit for you? Maguire has been piss poor for ages. His lack of speed in mind and body has led to the majority of the issues that have plagued him in his time at United and he's had nowhere to hide this season. He's simply not tailored for this team or the systems both managers he's worked under have tried to implement.

This 'bad form' has followed him from last season and has only got worse. I'd classify this as acute deterioration on his part going into his prime years. The memes, the comedy video compilations of his errors and the scrutiny of his poor performances all began last season. It has all led to this eventuality.
The meme's didn't begin last season though, they began almost as soon as he joined, particularly when he didn't play well, there were instances even where he was doing his job properly & it was still made into a meme by the Tiktok virgins who wouldn't understand football if it was the only thing they were taught for 11 years of school. They also don't account for 3 years of our defence literally falling apart on the rare occasions he wasn't in the team.

The majority of his issues at United have been down to erratic decision making and having no relationship with the person stood behind him rather than speed tbf. As much as he is incredibly slow and does turn like a limo in an alley, it hasn't actually hampered him or led to many goals being conceded in reality. It's just a really lazy criticism to throw at him.

That said, it's funny that we've had 10 years worth of shite centre halves apparently, Maguire is just another to that list. Even Varane now isn't even as good as Lindelof apparently. There has been one common denominator to our issues in our defence over the past 10 years and people want to give him our player of the season! Oddly those issues largely go away when it's been Romero or Henderson behind the defence, can't imagine why.

But yeah, all Maguire's fault and always has been. He didn't even play on Saturday and yet there have been more posts in his performance thread after the game than anyone elses which tells you all you need to know.

Revaulx

That was when he was being coached by Frans Hoek, the only time he has really shown any improvements in the sweeping & distribution side of his game. Once he left with Van Gaal we brought De Gea's coach from Atletico, Alvarez, and almost overnight all progress was lost and he was back to being the prehistoric goal-line keeper we see today.
Indeed. It’s absolutely infuriating.

As for Maguire, he's fine in a high line and has shown it for us last season and with England at times. He's badly out of form and has been pretty much all season and he suffers more than any other player from the lack of any relationship with the goalkeeper. He's not quick but everybody knows that and it's not something that tends to us cost him even in a higher line.
Yes. I’m not by any means a Henderson fanboy, and even less a Maguire one. The latter looked really good playing in front of the former last season though. Not just defensively either; he seemed more decisive on the ball and less inclined to dawdle on it looking clueless.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Maguire had a terrible start to last season for the first couple of months, got back to average form for a couple of months, and then was actually very good in the second half of the season. Probably the second best performing central defender in the league after Dias. Maguire also carried that form into the Euro's where he made the Team of the Tournament. So you are definitely being harsh on his performance last season.

There are two big issues though. Firstly, he took that great form into this season and completely shit the bed. Unlike the terrible start to last season (which was annoying but also somewhat understandable after the issue in Greece), there was no particular reason for him to suddenly play so poorly. The terrible form also continued much longer than it did last season, and although over the last month or two he's started turning it around I would say he's still only back to 'average' form where he's no longer an actual weakness but he's still not performing at the level that he should be at to be undisputed first choice and captain of Man Utd.

The second big issue is that the great form he showed in the second half of last season is the only period in his time here (over two and a half seasons now) where he's been consistently at the top level. The rest of the time he's either been inconsistent with great and poor performances mixed up with each other, or downright terrible (the start of last season and most of this season so far).

Pintu

Can we send him to Kyiv to help the resistance? I think Ukrainians want all the help they can get.

diarm

He's fairly useless, and a spectacular way to spoof £80m down the drain, but those players can feck off. There's not one of them been good enough to be giving out about anyone else.

Seems to me like a few of them have had their social media brand awareness and engagement officers run the numbers, and they've come back and said supporters have cottoned on to their bitching about managers, coaches, training methods, training schedules, cameras, clocks, lunch menus and so the captain is the next idea off the block.

Based Adnan

Not a fan of the leaks but not surprised either. Your captain has to be solid. It's the same as Ashley Young being captain despite costing the team week in week out. It's natural for the players to lose respect for you as a captain in that case.

acnumber9

Kind of feeling like a witch-hunt at this point. I don’t rate the guy but the sudden change in coverage on the guy feels a tad much considering how sheltered he was previously. Who’s he pissed off in the media. . .
Well we saw Marcus Rashford telling him to feck off last season when Maguire blamed for failing to control a pass he fired at his chest. I could certainly believe what we’re hearing.

AFC NimbleThumb

Well we saw Marcus Rashford telling him to feck off last season when Maguire blamed for failing to control a pass he fired at his chest. I could certainly believe what we’re hearing.
Oh I think there’s fire with this smoke but as you say the disapproval was there as far back as last season, from the 90 minute birds eye view he’s never looked like he commands much authority in the role but why now & not then for these stories, he’s been woeful for a while.

acnumber9

Oh I think there’s fire with this smoke but as you say the disapproval was there as far back as last season, from the 90 minute birds eye view he’s never looked like he commands much authority in the role but why now & not then for these stories, he’s been woeful for a while.
Shit has hit the fan so I think these stories just carry more weight than they would’ve when things were relatively smooth.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Slow football news week. What can we say that the fans of the biggest club will lap up for clicks....

Cloud7

The meme's didn't begin last season though, they began almost as soon as he joined, particularly when he didn't play well, there were instances even where he was doing his job properly & it was still made into a meme by the Tiktok virgins who wouldn't understand football if it was the only thing they were taught for 11 years of school.
Found Maguire’s caf account :lol:

Andrew7582

It's one article being referenced by another and barely adding anything.
''Sportsmail understands that Maguire has upset a number of teammates this season by openly blaming them on the pitch for making mistakes when his own form has been so erratic, and by some of his critical post-match comments to the media. '' It also claims that we are looking to sign a new world class centre back in the summer.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
''Sportsmail understands that Maguire has upset a number of teammates this season by openly blaming them on the pitch for making mistakes when his own form has been so erratic, and by some of his critical post-match comments to the media. '' It also claims that we are looking to sign a new world class centre back in the summer.
The old 'understands' line, which will be seen in hundreds of nonsense transfer articles about us during the summer. We should believe it this time though.

If we sign a new starting centre back in the summer feel free to point out how wrong I was about this story.

Jackal981

The old 'understands' line, which will be seen in hundreds of nonsense transfer articles about us during the summer. We should believe it this time though.

If we sign a new starting centre back in the summer feel free to point out how wrong I was about this story.
Rumours are we are looking to sign Akanji from Dortmund.

United in sin

I will haha. Nah. I find this story believable. Bruno for one has been critical of Maguire since that 1-6 drubbing against Spurs via leaks and such.

No one in the squad will admit to this publicly of course but when you see Rashford telling Maguire to 'feck off, k head' on live camera you know he commands no respect. Some will say these things happen during games all the time. To the captain though? These stories have legs

Longshanks

Just wait till we sign a world class CB in the summer and then watch as they slowly fall apart in front a de gea and then we blame whoever signed him and the club for splurging yet more money on a waste of space while happily ignoring the common denominator for all our disastrous defensive performances over the past 10 years.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Just wait till we sign a world class CB in the summer and then watch as they slowly fall apart in front a de gea and then we blame whoever signed him and the club for splurging yet more money on a waste of space while happily ignoring the common denominator for all our disastrous defensive performances over the past 10 years.
This is how I feel too.

We have no defensive ability from a corner or free kick. Why would we want that for another bunch of years?

Longshanks

This is how I feel too.

We have no defensive ability from a corner or free kick. Why would we want that for another bunch of years?
We have the worst starting goalkeeper in the PL at everything other than making reaction saves on his line.

Not middle of the road, the worst in the league, worst at commanding his area, at sweeping and with his distribution than even the relegation threatened teams.

But we will ignore that because he has made a few good saves and he is our saviour apparently. Much easier to blame someone who cost 80m was signed by a manager everyone seems to think was a joke and is admittedly having quite a poor season. Its all his fault obviously.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We have the worst starting goalkeeper in the PL at everything other than making reaction saves on his line.

Not middle of the road, the worst in the league, worst at commanding his area, at sweeping and with his distribution than even the relegation threatened teams.

But we will ignore that because he has made a few good saves and he is our saviour apparently. Much easier to blame someone who cost 80m was signed by a manager everyone seems to think was a joke and is admittedly having quite a poor season. Its all his fault obviously.
Exactly.

I've said it before - De Gea is just another Wan Bissaka, but of the goalkeepers.

One world class ability that is constantly repeated whilst having many other weaknesses.

I look forward to the day a new manager comes and realises him as a necessary change.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Was Hummels quick? Fairly sure he’s always been a slowish CB and that didn’t stop Dortmund and Bayern playing the football Rio’s talking about. I don’t think Rio has much a clue, to be honest. Nice guy but a terrible pundit.
the new breed of bad punditry seems to be abstract ideas of what "high tempo pressing football is" and appeals to reaching that, rather than the old "get stuck in and make an effort" mantras

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Maguires play this season has warranted the questions regarding the captaincy.

Just to get the obvious out of the way: Professional footballers are normal people with a cool job. They react just like you and me to things in life. Including being told what to do by someone.

If anyone has had a boss or leader you dont quite "respect" because they just arent god at their job, that is the situation Maguire currently finds himself in. He is the appoined authority figure in the team, and is the one person on the pitch that should command the respect of everyone. Not necceserily for being the best player on the team, the captain rarely is, but because of the natural authority combined with backing himself up through his own efforts.

The team has had a very rough time this year, from a reasonably good season last year with individual play from Maguire that saw him being a very missed piece of our defense when he finally got injured, to a pariah in 2022 that can almost do nothing right. Maguire is directly at fault for more goals or high danger chances than any other player on the team. That being losing possession that leads to a scoring from a non-dangerous situation such as receiving a pass, to completely overcompensating in a challenge and end up on the wrong side of the ball. Maguire being dispossessed because he is standing still when receiving a pass by a challenging attacker is just the story of Harrys seson thus far.

The issue with all of this is that when things are though, the players need someone to respond to. And there has been a lot of though moments in 2021/22. The guy who just made a huge error that caused a goal against has essentially no authority left in the bank. The guy who did it two more times, still has no authority in the bank, but now he needs to show up for work and pretend that Mr Champions League, B`allon Dor Fernandes, 80 million Sancho or "All time Great" Ronnie will sit in the dressing room before a game and listen to what you have to say with any semblance of respect for the position you have in the group.

I am sure that the players like Harry on a personal level, of course they do. But there is a difference between mates, and being the mate who everyone looks to when you keep fecking up.

Manchester United is (supposed to be) a winning environment, and all efforts go towards winning something. When you are the direct cause of events that directly contradict that goal, of course your position is going to be strenuous at best. I think that the players also dont care that much about who the captain is, but ideally you want the person that yells at you when you are at work be someone that isnt the butt end of jokes himself.

From a public point of view, the Manchester United captain should be someone who is beyond reasonable reproach. Who on the team holds a status like that? Bruno Fernandes seems the obvious candidate. Ronaldo has seniority in age and accomplishments but receives a large amount of criticism for his play in the press. The captaincy would just bring more noise.

Maybe a outside choice like Rahpael Varane could be considered going into the next season, although if we do change captains at this stage its going to be either Ronaldo or Bruno.

choccy77

Having watched Robbo last night, it's embarrassing this guy is our captain.

RopersReturn

Seriously think it’s time for the Supporters to draft a letter of no confidence in Maguire. This needs to be addressed to the Glazers & Murtugh, questioning his suitability as club captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.