Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobski

I think the club has to come to a decision about his use moving forward. Is he part of the future, I think his lack of agility and mobility is going to hinder even an in form and confident Maguire and restrict what the team can do defensively. Only going to be become more pronounced, 29 now, with his frame, move him on.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
So the second goal isn't Elanga's fault for a terrible pass out, isn't Lindelof's fault for getting made to look like an utter spanner by Foden, and isn't the goalkeepers fault for doing what you're taught not to do as a fecking 6 year old and punch the ball directly back out into the danger zone? Instead it's the one defender who actually got a block in during that phase of play at fault. Ok lads, this is a totally reasonable assessment.
was the second goal the one where, none of these things led to the direct change, but Harry opening his legs for no reason was what led to it?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Yea it’s gone beyond a joke now. Why isn’t Bailly being given a chance? Is Maguire playing like Baresi/Beckenbauer in training to warrant selection week in week out? Lindelof wasn’t much better last night but he’s at least been in decent nick for most of the season.

Bailly should be given minutes if Varane is out.

AneRu

I think the club has to come to a decision about his use moving forward. Is he part of the future, I think his lack of agility and mobility is going to hinder even an in form and confident Maguire and restrict what the team can do defensively. Only going to be become more pronounced, 29 now, with his frame, move him on.
They won't because they don't want to write off his massive fee and can't be bothered to fund his replacement. At a serious club he would be on the bench and seriously considering his options but we have taken Arsenal's place as a banter club.

JB7

was the second goal the one where, none of these things led to the direct change, but Harry opening his legs for no reason was what led to it?
He's moving, he's not "stepped over the ball" as some people on here seem to think, De Gea pushes the ball out about 3 yards from him & about a millisecond later it's past him, I don't really know how quick he's expected to react.

There are some abysmal errors leading to that goal and even if you count his inability to react at the speed of light it's probably the fourth worst error but he's the one being hammered, it's somewhat bizarre.

crossy1686

career ending
Yea it’s gone beyond a joke now. Why isn’t Bailly being given a chance? Is Maguire playing like Baresi/Beckenbauer in training to warrant selection week in week out? Lindelof wasn’t much better last night but he’s at least been in decent nick for most of the season.

Bailly should be given minutes if Varane is out.
Fecking too right it's beyond a joke, it's so bad I'm actually at the point where I feel sorry for him, if he were an animal you'd start talking about having him put down. I think Bailly's injured again, but Lindelof and Varane should be the CB's moving forward. The only reason Maguire get's picked is because he's the captain, he does whatever he's told and he's possibly one of the only players in the squad that isn't self interested and looking to put his face on everything and start a brand, but then again, unless Zimmer frame are looking for someone to sponsor he's bang out of luck.

dirkey

So the second goal isn't Elanga's fault for a terrible pass out, isn't Lindelof's fault for getting made to look like an utter spanner by Foden, and isn't the goalkeepers fault for doing what you're taught not to do as a fecking 6 year old and punch the ball directly back out into the danger zone? Instead it's the one defender who actually got a block in during that phase of play at fault. Ok lads, this is a totally reasonable assessment.
So De Gea, who made an incredible reaction save to get down to a powerful shot from 7 yards out...was at fault? Laughable take. Plenty of keepers wouldn't stop that, let alone set us off on the counter as you seem to wish.

Doracle

So De Gea, who made an incredible reaction save to get down to a powerful shot from 7 yards out...was at fault? Laughable take. Plenty of keepers wouldn't stop that, let alone set us off on the counter as you seem to wish.
DDG clearly wasn’t at fault but obviously neither was Maguire, who didn’t have time to react to the point blank save and then made an excellent block on the follow up.

Lindelof on the other hand got beaten ridiculously easily and then stood still at the edge of the area whilst the eventual goal scorer ran past him. He wasn’t just culpable once but twice for that goal.

JB7

Incredible do me a favour :lol: :lol: :lol: ever fecking save he makes is incredible according to some on here, it's ridiculous. Firstly, he doesn't leave his line as the ball drops over Lindelofs head, even a couple of steps make a big difference there, instead he makes the goal as big as possible for the attacker, classic standard De Gea, thankfully he gets away with it as it was a poor finish almost right at him, and then, as previously stated, he does exactly what you are taught not to do as a 6 year old, he pushes the ball straight back out rather than wide or away from goal. Is the goal directly his fault? No. Is it poor goalkeeping? Yes.

There was a sea of shite around for that goal from firstly Elanga, secondly (and thirdly really) from Lindelof and then from De Gea. Heck I haven't even mentioned Telles's assist here. Yet the one who is taking a battering most of all of Maguire who actually got a block in from the rebound.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
You people can argue all you like about who is at fault for that goal. They all were, in varying levels of culpability, imo.

But a club of United's statute and resources should be expecting their expensively signed club captain, and apparently undroppable centre back to be able to deal with that and then berate his team mates for the mistake that led to the chance.

Don't give me all this nonsense about how he played decent for much of the game. That's the kind of talk you reserve for a centre back who plays for Stoke City when they're up against a top team. Last I checked, Maguire isn't playing for Stoke City. He certainly isn't paid like he is.

It's staggering how much expectations have been lowered at the club.

yamo123x

I dont think Maguire was our worst defender yesterday. Lindelof and AWB were dreadful, Telles not much better.

He has had a poor season no doubt about it... IMO he would be better suited to being spare man in a 3, with Bailly and Varane being either side of him to combat the runners.

Big decisions at the end of the season

yamo123x

You people can argue all you like about who is at fault for that goal. They all were, in varying levels of culpability, imo.

But a club of United's statute and resources should be expecting their expensively signed club captain, and apparently undroppable centre back to be able to deal with that and then berate his team mates for the mistake that led to the chance.

Don't give me all this nonsense about how he played decent for much of the game. That's the kind of talk you reserve for a centre back who plays for Stoke City when they're up against a top team. Last I checked, Maguire isn't playing for Stoke City. He certainly isn't paid like he is.

It's staggering how much expectations have been lowered at the club.
You must be the type of guy who would go on the web slating Maguire for his role in the Watford game when he didnt even play.
He was arguably our best defender yesterday, i feel the hatred for and vilifcation of Maguire on here is uncalled for. The club paid the money for him, he cant be blamed for that. He is struggling this year for sure, but he is trying, more than i can say for others.

Sylar

You must be the type of guy who would go on the web slating Maguire for his role in the Watford game when he didnt even play.
He was arguably our best defender yesterday, i feel the hatred for and vilifcation of Maguire on here is uncalled for. The club paid the money for him, he cant be blamed for that. He is struggling this year for sure, but he is trying, more than i can say for others.
Worrying as we could see with the game, because thats like saying the best of a bad bunch. Its not a positive as for sure, nobody had a bad game.
I dont hate Maguire, as hes not at fault for being played or his price tag
I just dont think hes kicked on. I think he did well mostly for his first two season with us, and we definately were worse without him (eg end of last season). But it just looks like hes not good enough for us if we want to get to the next level. Hes just turned 29 and his leadership is really questionable.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Well he needs to try harder because whatever he's doing, it hasn't been enough for close to a year now.

I don't think saying Harry Maguire is not good enough is "uncalled for."

The way he let the ball through his legs for that second goal was laughable. I don't see the likes of Vidic, Ferdinand or Wes Brown doing that.

He's not good enough. The evidence has been there for a long time now. Same can be said of most of our players to be fair. But this guy is supposed to be our captain. We're fecked because there's absolutely no easy way we can be rid of him. At least when Liverpool were shite, Steven Gerrard could be relied on to produce game changing moments, even if he was kind of limiting them at times.

dirkey

To be honest, my biggest issue with the lump from yesterday was his complete lack of visibility as a captain. He inspires nothing from his teammates. It's clearly an awful dressing room with absolutely no fight in it, and that comes from the top (hierarchy wise with the players).

He's not having a good season, but yesterday wasn't his worst. Still don't think he was good.

But his captaincy is a disgrace for me. He's just about fit to be in the team, only because of the God-awful options we have at CB. He's certainly not fit to be captain.

Though I'm not sure who is!

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
He's moving, he's not "stepped over the ball" as some people on here seem to think, De Gea pushes the ball out about 3 yards from him & about a millisecond later it's past him, I don't really know how quick he's expected to react.

There are some abysmal errors leading to that goal and even if you count his inability to react at the speed of light it's probably the fourth worst error but he's the one being hammered, it's somewhat bizarre.
The problem is that he got us all used with his speed of light reactions and when he is just a bit slower like for that 2nd yesterday we are all in a state of shock.

lsd

The Oracle
Nutmegged by the post just sums him up.

Has been the absolute disaster I said he would be when we bought him

jem

You trying to tell me he wasn't?
It's the 'as usual' part which is ridiculous. I've only seen highlights and the last 20 minutes from this game, so can't objectively comment.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I don't rate him particularly highly but McTomminay coming out and being the front and centre with the interviews while our supposed leader was nowhere to be seen, again, says it all about the guy.

JB7

It's the 'as usual' part which is ridiculous. I've only seen highlights and the last 20 minutes from this game, so can't objectively comment.
It's not ridiculous, by and large he is pretty dreadful and causes mass panic in the defence almost every time the ball comes anywhere near the penalty area. He makes (sometimes outstanding) camera saves which 90% of the time wouldn't be necessary if he hadn't caused the issue in the first place by giving the ball away or had proactively stopped the issue prior to it needing a save, literally every other aspect of his game is amongst the worst in the league - the stats showing that are all there. What is ridiculous is that he's still playing for a club like United in 2022.

JB7

I don't rate him particularly highly but McTomminay coming out and being the front and centre with the interviews while our supposed leader was nowhere to be seen, again, says it all about the guy.
Maguire literally gets wheeled out after almost every defeat or draw and people constantly moan about it.

Maguire doesn't come out after one defeat and people moan about it.

Coops73

Has the turning circle of the Exxon Valdez and has got worse and worse over the last few months.

We seem to try and play this high line in defence which really doesn’t suit him and doesn’t make any sense to me but I think we should try to move him on in the summer, though I doubt that will happen.

Oldtraffordboy

Think Barney Ronay made a good point on the Guardian football weekly podcast.

People seem to think Harry Maguire is "evil" in some way. Doesn't care etc etc

I don't believe it's true - he's just not as good as Vidic, VVD.

Just feels like mis-directed anger.

Abraxas

Really is having a torrid season. The one hope is he hasn't always been this bad. I won't offer that he has been what was expected for such a significant outlay but certainly he should be doing better than this.

I think his head has completely and utterly gone. I think it's a combination of things, the downward spiral of the team, a team which he captains and is therefore making him the lightening rod for criticism. Being asked to play more aggressive football this season has led to mistakes. The mistakes are perpetuating themselves and seem never ending which leaves him looking an unconfident mess.

It's just a very, very bad hole right now and it's not clear that he's working his way out. We can take him out of the team and hope for something from Bailly or Jones, maybe as a short term measure. But it feels like rearranging deck chairs. Once this season is gone the new manager needs to sit down with Maguire and work out why it has descended into this farce and try and get a fresh start.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
They should put a massive poster at OT with Ole in the middle, AWB on his right and Maguire at his left and call it Manager Ole's legacy.

Dermott Walsh

Worst transfer of all time easily (not just at united) . In nearly 3 years he's had maybe 3 OK months. To think what we could of used that 80M on instead. Making him captain as well, we're a laughing stock.

Gazautd18

He ran over the ball for a goal and some of you are defending him :lol:
Crazy eh..:houllier:
I get that Elanga's mistake led to the ball coming back in.
Yes. Fred and Lindelof should have been aware of De Bruyne and put more pressure on him.
But then our Captain proceeds to get dummied by the post.
The easiest part of the whole mess and our Captain, our Leader gets dummied by the post.
The ball wasn't even coming to him at speed, but agenda etc....

Roux

Some of you lot put up a better defence than he will ever do!

Abraxas

Maguire was slow to react to that goal, but Jesus...Lindelof didn't even try! Ball flicked over his head, and then he may as well have sat on his arse. He didn't even try to get back.

A calamity of errors, naive from Elanga which is forgivable, slow reactions from Harry, questionable goalkeeping, but there's one man in all that who didn't even have the decency to pretend he was interested in defending. Mistakes are forgivable and we'll have to get used to them with this lot but that is unforgivable. What hope have you got when you've got men that are not only error prone but haven't got the wherewithal to try.

RopersReturn

Not sure if any of the club hierarchy read these posts? But they must be living under a rock if they can’t see how unpopular half of the squad (Maguire in particular), is with the supporters currently.
We really missed an opportunity recruiting a DM and another defender as well as getting rid of a few surplus players during the last transfer window. Depressing times indeed.

ClassOf'99

Some of you lot put up a better defence than he will ever do!
This.

Anybody still supporting Maguire can take yourselves and him out the door.

He is not good enough for United and neither are you if you support this madness.

kthanksbye

Not sure if any of the club hierarchy read these posts? But they must be living under a rock if they can’t see how unpopular half of the squad (Maguire in particular), is with the supporters currently.
We really missed an opportunity recruiting a DM and another defender as well as getting rid of a few surplus players during the last transfer window. Depressing times indeed.
Not sure if anyone of them watch the team, let alone understand football, because if they do, this whole club is run like it's an experiment and we're the subjects.

Josh 76

No sure if anyone picked this up. It was when Utd kicked off against City.

The 3rd pass from our kick off was passed back to Maguire. His first touch was so loose, then his second touch was a big hoof up the pitch which gave City possession.

Not seen that since my lad played in the under 11s.

redcorner

I still cant understand the logic behind Ole making him the Captain
I mean what exactly was the reasoning
Has there been any club in world football where the Captain is the worst footballer every week?

Status
Not open for further replies.