Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
So strange of me to want our supporters to support our players and not try and make them play worse by calling our own players names and booing them. What a strange hill indeed
This is why the standards have dropped so low with this club. Just get out with this "support the player" bs. These players have got so much support while they are underperforming its baffling. If you're not upto the standards, either work so hard to put in a shift or get fecked off in the summer. There should be no room for complacency.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The scapegoating never stops. Im hearing Goldbridge blaming Maguire now on TheUNitedStand and the muppets here are repeating whatever he says
You have to be wumming at this point, you don’t even try to use any arguments anymore.

AndySmith1990

So strange of me to want our supporters to support our players and not try and make them play worse by calling our own players names and booing them. What a strange hill indeed
That's worked so well since Fergie left hasn't it? Support them no matter what, don't question anything. I'm sure they'll reward us by giving 100% at all times

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That's worked so well since Fergie left hasn't it? Support them no matter what, don't question anything. I'm sure they'll reward us by giving 100% at all times
In the past supporters could limit themselves to just supporting the players because they knew very well that the club held high standards. Anyone dropping from those standards would be gone by the end of the season. That went out of the window during the Glazers era. Our scouting net was weakened (no more feeder clubs etc), the people on top are amateurs on their first job in that role (CEO, DOF, Technical director) and we're struggling to make more then 3-4 summer transfers per summer which means that we have to make due with the players we've got even though they aren't good enough. Players have noticed that as well. There's no urgency to perform simply because the club takes ages to find a buyer for them and to find a replacement after.

flappyjay

Tell me, whats the point of Maguire to rush to midfield ? Did the same thing when Felix scored but was offside. He does it almost in every game.
Then you see him plodding behind as everyone else panics trying to close the hole he left behind. That's why he does well in a back 3 it allows him to get away with it.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Exactly! These players are way too comfortable in their roles. They know they wont get any stick from the fans and the club officials are more interested in retweets and clicks.

Lentwood

Tbh yours and @SadlerMUFC posts in this thread are just plain embarrassing now. You’ve both gone so deep into defending Maguire it’s actually becoming cringe.

If you are struggling to see how bad this guy is and continuously defending him like he ain’t a major problem, you’re either deluded with your own arguments or just talking utter bollocks. The majority of people who have any understanding of football can see this guy is clearly not good enough and should not be anywhere near a team aspiring to be at the top.

Stop embarrassing yourselves.
I see this happen time and time again in football, and in life generally. The media set the narrative and they repeat a line until it becomes fact. The idea that Maguire has somehow become a poor player overnight is now so deeply entrenched in the minds of football fans that you're shouting into the void by trying to argue the opposite. In the same way that De Gea is apparently 'having a great season' or Rashford was 'a world-class talent', if something is repeated often enough, it just becomes fact.

You only have to listen to the commentary to see the evidence of this. Robbie Savage went on and on about one misplaced pass last night by Maguire before the offside goal. It happened a good 60-90 seconds before the 'goal' but still Savage banged on about it, as if it was somehow the worst, most criminal mistake he'd seen on a football pitch.

We've had a shocking season collectively as a side and people are frustrated, I get that, and they want a scapegoat. I think it helps people cognitively to have a scapegoat, because it makes them believe that the problem is easy to fix. 'If only we could get rid of that donkey Maguire, all of our problems would disappear'. Unfortunately, virtually every single player in our squad has underperformed this year, and the reason for that is because we are a poorly organised, dysfunctional team. We've assembled a real mess of a squad and really allowed it to drift, without any clear direction for several years now under various managers.

I can only really think of a few occasions this season where Maguire was genuinely bad. Leicester being an obvious standout, albeit he was injured. I actually thought one of his poorest games was Southampton at OT, but that one goes under the radar and people prefer to focus on the hammerings we have taken by teams like Liverpool and City, even though really there was absolutely nothing he could do individually about those defeats.

Most of his 'bad' performances are people taking minor details, or stuff that's just play wrong/ignorant, like his 'mistake' last night and being conned by the press and the prevailing narrative into believing that somehow he's the root of all evil and the cause of all of our problems.

Think about it logically for a second...Solskjaer picked Maguire every week. Rangnick comes in during this apparent 'horror season' for Maguire, half this forum rejoices and fully expects to see Bailly, Lindelof and Varane in the side week-in, week-out, but it doesn't happen. In fact, Maguire (and maybe Varane) is the only player Ralf hasn't dropped in his time here. You see excuses for this banded around the forum, apparently Ralf is 'scared'...which is a load of bollocks since he's clearly not scared to drop Cristiano Ronaldo!

The reason Rangnick hasn't dropped Maguire, despite the wailing and teeth-gnashing in here, is the fact is we are far better with a good CB in a dysfunctional side than slightly above average CBs (Lindelof and Bailly) in a dysfunctional side. I repeat the stat I used earlier, in his entire United career, when Maguire starts we win just over 50% of our games. When he doesn't, that figure drops to 25%. 25% Manchester United winning 1 in 4 matches is a mind-blowing statistic.

Again, people are conflating a 'poor side' with poor players. Again, Maguire is one of the first names on the team-sheet for England, picked every single week by Southgate. OK, England aren't blessed with loads of top CBs right now, but Stones plays regularly for City, Ben White plays regularly for Arsenal, Eric Dier plays regularly for Tottenham, Connor Coady plays regularly for Wolves....all of these teams are in similar league positions to us. If Maguire is this big, carthorse donkey who is the cause of all of United's problems, why does he still get picked every week for England and United?

It's simple. The reason is because Maguire is actually a very, very good CB. There's no more too it than that. I'd like people to calm down and use pure simple logic. If Maguire is that bad, why don't any one of the two international CBs we have sat on the bench play instead? Why doesn't Southgate leave him out?

afatzp

To be fair, McT also the total clueless chicken in this clip. He should have moved up 5 yards to receive ball from Sancho so we can start the counter-attack and Sancho no need to pass back; then when Maguire looking for passes, he should have moved between the gap to show for the ball and provide Maguire a option to pass; then after losing the ball , he just stand there, not push up to limit the angle of the shoot , nor should check then move to cut out any routes for through-pass.

kthanksbye

He fails to do the bare minimum on so many occasions it almost feels unreal that he's even getting paid to do this now.
His 2nd half performance was a lot better than the first, but was he atrocious in the first half, even in the second half he had moments of brainfarts but ATM were not exactly interested in attacking, so he was under less pressure.

But the first half was absolutely pathetic, simple headers with no opponent pressure, he's got at least 3 players around him who he can head it to and he heads it to the ATM player, he did that on 3 occasions in the first half, he also got unnecessarily dragged out of position for the offside ATM goal. He committed two fouls in the opposition box during set pieces.

I don't know what it is with him, I'm struggling to see what he's good at, on one hand I feel he'd look at home in this ATM team, but he also constantly heads the ball out to the opponents, I just don't think he's a good defender, and deserves criticism for his performance, as much as the scout who recommended him, the person who sanctioned his signing and the manager who made him club captain.

Edit - And the manager who continues to play him.

Lentwood

Tell me, whats the point of Maguire to rush to midfield ? Did the same thing when Felix scored but was offside. He does it almost in every game.
Since you ask....Maguire isn't 'rushing into midfield', he's going in with the forward, to stop them being able to receive the ball, turn and run at the back four/thread a pass through the lines.

Football is not played in straight lines. One of the most common and frequent misunderstandings on this forum is that the defence should be a straight line, which is just totally incorrect and if you think about it, just not how any team plays. How easy would it be to just thread passes into your forwards if the opposition back four just stood there in a straight line like Subbutteo players?

I actually can't even begin to fathom the logic which blames Maguire for that goal last night. Maguire was probably the only defender in that situation who did his part successfully, getting into Greizmann and forcing the ball backwards.

the_cliff

Since you ask....Maguire isn't 'rushing into midfield', he's going in with the forward, to stop them being able to receive the ball, turn and run at the back four/thread a pass through the lines.

Football is not played in straight lines. One of the most common and frequent misunderstandings on this forum is that the defence should be a straight line, which is just totally incorrect and if you think about it, just not how any team plays. How easy would it be to just thread passes into your forwards if the opposition back four just stood there in a straight line like Subbutteo players?

I actually can't even begin to fathom the logic which blames Maguire for that goal last night. Maguire was probably the only defender in that situation who did his part successfully, getting into Greizmann and forcing the ball backwards.
That's fine, but Maguire gets turned and outpaced far too easily for it too be effective.

If you look at the difference between Varane following the attacker and Maguire it's night and day. Varane is tight and if he does get turned he fouls the attacker straight away, Maguire either gets turned too easily or is too late to get tight and is caught in no mans land and it turns the situation into a dangerous problem. There's a reason Maguire was hooked over Varane.

And Varane had a poor game himself, what does that say about Maguire ?

Last edited:

LoneStar

He is supposed to be the ball playing defender no? Guy shits himself every time he has the ball. And literally most teams seem to know this and target him.And his long passes more often than not take the ball out of play. He’s slow, error prone. His only attribute is that he’s decent at headers. Sounds like a 20-25M player to me. Never an 80M player, never United captain material.

And I swear, this guy has wasted half of our corners because he just fouls someone in the box.

Skills

Snitch
I thought he was good up until the goal. Then he just lost his head.

Was playing some really nice passes up until that point - and then he went for a poor cross field ball, which went out for a throw in.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
80m rated ball playing CB :lol:
You could see he was praying the ball wouldn’t be passed back to him and then proceeds to make it even harder for himself. If Felix pressed him with a bit more conviction that would have been 2-0

Maguire needs a new club. Newcastle would be ideal to get his confidence back up and perhaps become half-decent again

Gazza

I see this happen time and time again in football, and in life generally. The media set the narrative and they repeat a line until it becomes fact. The idea that Maguire has somehow become a poor player overnight is now so deeply entrenched in the minds of football fans that you're shouting into the void by trying to argue the opposite. In the same way that De Gea is apparently 'having a great season' or Rashford was 'a world-class talent', if something is repeated often enough, it just becomes fact.
Most people aren't saying that tbf. People have pointed out what Maguire lacks at this level since before he even joined. Has nothing to do with the media, who if anything have given him a lot of leeway to this point.

Water Melon

Brilliant purchase by Ole. Terrific captain. Like a finest cocktail made of perfect ingredients blended in immaculate proportions. Any buyers?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

You only have to listen to the commentary to see the evidence of this. Robbie Savage went on and on about one misplaced pass last night by Maguire before the offside goal. It happened a good 60-90 seconds before the 'goal' but still Savage banged on about it, as if it was somehow the worst, most criminal mistake he'd seen on a football pitch.

We've had a shocking season collectively as a side and people are frustrated, I get that, and they want a scapegoat. I think it helps people cognitively to have a scapegoat, because it makes them believe that the problem is easy to fix. 'If only we could get rid of that donkey Maguire, all of our problems would disappear'. Unfortunately, virtually every single player in our squad has underperformed this year, and the reason for that is because we are a poorly organised, dysfunctional team. We've assembled a real mess of a squad and really allowed it to drift, without any clear direction for several years now under various managers.

I can only really think of a few occasions this season where Maguire was genuinely bad. Leicester being an obvious standout, albeit he was injured. I actually thought one of his poorest games was Southampton at OT, but that one goes under the radar and people prefer to focus on the hammerings we have taken by teams like Liverpool and City, even though really there was absolutely nothing he could do individually about those defeats.

Most of his 'bad' performances are people taking minor details, or stuff that's just play wrong/ignorant, like his 'mistake' last night and being conned by the press and the prevailing narrative into believing that somehow he's the root of all evil and the cause of all of our problems.

Think about it logically for a second...Solskjaer picked Maguire every week. Rangnick comes in during this apparent 'horror season' for Maguire, half this forum rejoices and fully expects to see Bailly, Lindelof and Varane in the side week-in, week-out, but it doesn't happen. In fact, Maguire (and maybe Varane) is the only player Ralf hasn't dropped in his time here. You see excuses for this banded around the forum, apparently Ralf is 'scared'...which is a load of bollocks since he's clearly not scared to drop Cristiano Ronaldo!

The reason Rangnick hasn't dropped Maguire, despite the wailing and teeth-gnashing in here, is the fact is we are far better with a good CB in a dysfunctional side than slightly above average CBs (Lindelof and Bailly) in a dysfunctional side. I repeat the stat I used earlier, in his entire United career, when Maguire starts we win just over 50% of our games. When he doesn't, that figure drops to 25%. 25% Manchester United winning 1 in 4 matches is a mind-blowing statistic.

Again, people are conflating a 'poor side' with poor players. Again, Maguire is one of the first names on the team-sheet for England, picked every single week by Southgate. OK, England aren't blessed with loads of top CBs right now, but Stones plays regularly for City, Ben White plays regularly for Arsenal, Eric Dier plays regularly for Tottenham, Connor Coady plays regularly for Wolves....all of these teams are in similar league positions to us. If Maguire is this big, carthorse donkey who is the cause of all of United's problems, why does he still get picked every week for England and United?

It's simple. The reason is because Maguire is actually a very, very good CB. There's no more too it than that. I'd like people to calm down and use pure simple logic. If Maguire is that bad, why don't any one of the two international CBs we have sat on the bench play instead? Why doesn't Southgate leave him out?
This is a very good post and as an oppo pretty much how I see Maguire. Was he worth 80 million? probably not, but he wouldn't have been far off and the value of his transfer is not his to decide.

Yes, he's had a drop off in form this season, but so have just about everyone in your squad bar Sancho. Your entire squad has dipped this season, who knows why, but it is certainly not just Maguire.

Is he the cause of all your issues? definitely not, you are worse without him.

Last edited:

Lentwood

That's fine, but Maguire gets turned and outpaced far too easily for it too be effective.

If you look at the difference between Varane following the attacker and Maguire it's night and day. Varane is tight and if he does get turned he fouls the attacker straight away, Maguire gets turned and it turns the situation into a dangerous problem. There's a reason Maguire was hooked over Varane.

And Varane had a poor game himself, what does that say about Maguire ?
Maguire got hooked over Varane because we were about to start throwing bodies forward and Varane is a much better 'recovery defender' than Maguire because of his speed.

What I see in Varane and Maguire is two good CBs who would be fine anywhere else, suffering for the dysfunctions of a poorly performing side. There's no hiding place at CB in a poor side, it really is a thankless task, especially in a side that is scrutinised to the nth degree like United

A-man

So when Verane pushed up on Kane on the weekend did you blame Verane for not winning the ball or did you blame Maguire for the own goal?
Yes of course. Varane’s poor effort started that chance imo then Maguire finished it by scoring an own goal.

JeffFromHK

Leicester City
goals conceded 2015-2017 (two seasons before Maguire joined): 1.30 per game
goals conceded 2017-2019 (two seasons with Maguire): 1.42 per game
goals conceded 2019-2021 (two seasons after Maguire left): 1.20 per game

Man Utd
goals conceded 2016-2019 (3 seasons before Maguire joined): 0.97 per game
goals conceded 2019-2022 (3 seasons with Maguire): 1.14 per game

In the mean time, Jonny Evans, who we sold at 3M, concedes 114 premier league goals out of 100 premier league games, i.e. 1.14 per game, playing for Leicester.

Enough explanation.

Lentwood

This is a very good post and as an oppo pretty much how I see Maguire. Was he worth 80 million? probably not, but he wouldn't have been far off and the value of his transfer is not his to decide.

Yes, he's had a drop off in form this season, but so have just about everyone in your squad this season bar Sancho. Your entire squad has dipped this season, who knows why, but it is certainly not just Maguire.

Thanks appreciate a calm, reasoned opinion....and just in-case you didn't know this already, you're about to become VERY unpopular in here :D :lol:

I don't mind that personally, I used to get absolute dogs abuse for daring to suggest Rashford might not be as good as Kylian Mbappe. I could tell when I'd said something about Rashford because I'd wake up to 15 notifications calling me an idiot

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Leicester City
goals conceded 2015-2017 (two seasons before Maguire joined): 1.30 per game
goals conceded 2017-2019 (two seasons with Maguire): 1.42 per game
goals conceded 2019-2021 (two seasons after Maguire left): 1.20 per game

Man Utd
goals conceded 2016-2019 (3 seasons before Maguire joined): 0.97 per game
goals conceded 2019-2022 (3 seasons with Maguire): 1.14 per game

In the mean time, Jonny Evans, who we sold at 3M, concedes 114 premier league goals out of 100 premier league games, i.e. 1.14 per game, playing for Leicester.

Enough explanation.
I guess tactics, managers and other players don't have any relation to these stats then no?? :lol:

Champ

Yes, he's had a drop off in form this season, but so have just about everyone in your squad this season bar Sancho. Your entire squad has dipped this season, who knows why, but it is certainly not just Maguire.

One hundred per cent this.

He is still the best defender at the club, and we definitely miss him when he doesn't start.
He hasn't been good at times this season, but my god he has definitely not been as bad as some on here make out.

The mental gymnastics some on here perform to blame nearly every goal on him is alarming and baffling.

Lentwood

I guess tactics, managers and other players don't have any relation to these stats then no?? :lol:
Don't you understand statistics mate?

Liverpool lost 1-7 to Aston Villa with van Dijk in the side last season but kept a clean sheet against them with Phil Babb at CB in 1996....ergo Babb > van Dijk

It's simple, undeniable, rock-solid logic that you just can't argue with

AndySmith1990

One hundred per cent this.

He is still the best defender at the club, and we definitely miss him when he doesn't start.
He hasn't been good at times this season, but my god he has definitely not been as bad as some on here make out.

The mental gymnastics some on here perform to blame nearly every goal on him is alarming and baffling.
Wow. Imagine watching every United match this season and coming yo the conclusion that Maguire is our best defender

Lentwood

Whilst I am at it, I thought it was a disgrace that Maguire was jeered last night. In fact, it was the only part of the game that really riled me.

I always thought United fans were a little different. I thought we had a bit of a siege mentality, 'us vs the World'. It's fashionable to hammer United, it sells paper and generates click and engagements. Our players get it from all angles as it is, they don't need it from their own so-called 'supporters'. I'll never, ever jeer or boo any player who tries, good or bad.

If you don't rate Maguire, fine. I think you're wrong, but fine. To jeer one of our players, for no obvious reason I can think of, is just not what I expect at all from this fanbase. It's so poor.

Redfrog

In the past supporters could limit themselves to just supporting the players because they knew very well that the club held high standards. Anyone dropping from those standards would be gone by the end of the season. That went out of the window during the Glazers era. Our scouting net was weakened (no more feeder clubs etc), the people on top are amateurs on their first job in that role (CEO, DOF, Technical director) and we're struggling to make more then 3-4 summer transfers per summer which means that we have to make due with the players we've got even though they aren't good enough. Players have noticed that as well. There's no urgency to perform simply because the club takes ages to find a buyer for them and to find a replacement after.
Exactly this. Ferguson never « supported » the players. If you didn’t perform you were gone. Now we are keeping players you don’t give a sh*t about performing for this club but we should support them.

Redfrog

Whilst I am at it, I thought it was a disgrace that Maguire was jeered last night. In fact, it was the only part of the game that really riled me.

I always thought United fans were a little different. I thought we had a bit of a siege mentality, 'us vs the World'. It's fashionable to hammer United, it sells paper and generates click and engagements

If you don't rate Maguire, fine. I think you're wrong, but fine. To jeer one of our players, for no obvious reason I can think of, is just not what I expect at all from this fanbase. It's so poor.
What do you except about the fanbase ? To throw away they hard win money and to support players who take their money while not giving sh*t about the club or performing ?
Players have had it too good for too long here. It’s time they take some responsibility.
By the way Maguire is championship level but I am sure you will like the club to go down so you can still support.

Siege mentality is about the manager and players. Do you think this players have siege mentality ? They are licking to the press like cry babies.

JeffFromHK

1. Leicester's goals conceded increased after he joined Leicester
2. Leicester's goals conceded decreased after he left Leicester
3. Man Utd's goals conceded increased after he joined Man Utd

if you think external factors (other teammates, managers, tactics) can explain 3 changes above you are just biased

Reactions: Fortitude

Redfrog

He’s obviously going through a terrible period of form and low confidence, and I don’t think he’s nearly as bad as the reputation he’s getting…. However that said, when he patently looks terrified any time he has the ball in our half, and has to do complete Valencia-esque about turns to avoid any semblance of a risky pass, I don’t really see the benefit of trying to “play him into form”, or protect his ego, when we’re trying to win a crucial knockout tie that will define our entire season….

If the manager is willing to drop Ronaldo, and to a much lesser extent Rashford & Pogba, then there’s surely no more undue pressure from up on high to keep playing Harry Derek* Maguire? There must be some footballing reason that us plebs can’t quantify?

* not actually his name. But it seems right, doesn’t it?
He is an overrated player who has been exposed at a big club and don’t have the mentality to recover a decent level.
New contract incoming as I am speaking : we should protect his value by giving him 300k a week.

Redlyn

He can be usually found fouling the opponent when we are in their box, ruining a good attack or goal. Now he's even fouling our own players. Just a liability all round.

Brophs

The One and Only
I think I’ve said this before but it’s these huge troughs of form that bother me. We bought a centre half at the absolute top of the market and the talk around him was that he was a rock solid guy, leadership material etc. and yet he goes into these funks at least once a season. And not for two or three games, but two or three months. We just got this one badly wrong.

Champ

Don't you understand statistics mate?

Liverpool lost 1-7 to Aston Villa with van Dijk in the side last season but kept a clean sheet against them with Phil Babb at CB in 1996....ergo Babb > van Dijk

It's simple, undeniable, rock-solid logic that you just can't argue with
No, you're right mate, sorry :wenger: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.