Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

YouknowNani

Called up for England. If he had any sense he would withdraw. It's fecking Albania and San Marino.
It's absolutely insane he still gets picked for United and England in current form. There's really not a worse CB in the premier league currently.

YouknowNani

A lot of talk of Maguire was great last year.
I couldnt help but took a look at the average rating in this forum for the 20-21 season.

The defense:
  • Maguire 52 Appearances 5,9 average rating
  • Shaw 47 Appearances 6.3 average rating
  • Lindelof (with back injury) 45 Appearances 5,9 average rating
  • Wan bissaka 54 Appearances 5,9 average rating
  • Bailly 21 Appearances 6,0 average rating
Thats ok for Maguire but not in any means great compared to the other cb.

(My personal opinion is that his ratings was even higher than deserved because of a common belief that he was the one we should build upon, aka he needed better partners in defence - not his fault)
Yep, there's this absolute myth going around from some that he was "excellent" last season. He was average at best, often poor. He started the season very poorly and it was blamed on the Greece incident. He picked up form slightly, had some ok performances, and somehow these have now been classed as great by a number of posters here. The season before that he was poor and this season he's been absolutely awful.

This team always seem to be carrying someone. There's always an 'undroppable' manager favourite, who becomes a burden however many times the squad is overhauled. They are usually English or an aging formerly great player. It was Rooney for a period, briefly Zlatan (who was actually good on occasion admittedly), now it's Maguire. He needs to go.

hatchetmac

Maguire is one of the worst centre back's i have known to play for United. He makes a sloth look quick.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Really shouldn't be captain anymore if that's the case.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It's absolutely insane he still gets picked for United and England in current form. There's really not a worse CB in the premier league currently.
Mings hasn't looked much better. England isn't exactly stacked in CBs that are comfy on the left.

Man Utd 0:2 Man City

SER19

New manager stripping him of captaincy will be a nice start. If Varane is fit i expect most modern coaches would play lindelof and Varane

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Having to play two centre defenders beside him and two defensive midfielders in front of him because he needs protection isn't a good look for the most expensive defender ever

Lyng

New manager stripping him of captaincy will be a nice start. If Varane is fit i expect most modern coaches would play lindelof and Varane
Spot on. Any progressive manager would stay clear of him.

MattofManchester

He needs to go. Forget dropping him. Bin him once the manager goes.

I can't think of a defender who's been this embarrassing for this long in the last 10 years at the club and continued to maintain a first XI place.

spiriticon

When we were willing to throw insane money on a defender who was 'good on the ball' to replace Smalling all those years ago, HOW did we end up with Maguire?

This guys shits himself as soon as he is pressed.

Hughie77

Well he can feck off, and put Phill Jones in. Just as good , he fit and ready. Maguire I've seen Carthorses run faster than him , if he can't fecking head the ball then what's the point in him being in a UTD 11. Crap.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
We’ve gone from the likes of Bruce, Stam, Rio and Vidic to this guy. Actually plenty of less heralded CBs we’ve had over the years have looked more assured.

Lyng

Well he can feck off, and put Phill Jones in. Just as good , he fit and ready. Maguire I've seen Carthorses run faster than him , if he can't fecking head the ball then what's the point in him being in a UTD 11. Crap.
Jones at his best was a lot better than anything in we have seen from Maguire.

AFC NimbleThumb

Jones at his best was a lot better than anything in we have seen from Maguire.
This./
Should have come off instead of Bailly today.
This./
He needs to go. Forget dropping him. Bin him once the manager goes.

I can't think of a defender who's been this embarrassing for this long in the last 10 years at the club and continued to maintain a first XI place.
If OgSs successor plays a back 4 I can see him being managed out swiftly.

Tapori

Putting aside his decent form, his fall from grace and his genuine personal issues and injuries and the fact that he is a human being with feelings I can't help hearing this everytime he plays in this form:

Also: I stand by when I said he needs to do alot to achieve the next level of being a consistent elite: He needs to now do so much more and I don't think he has it in him to grow and iron-out the lapses he was having before let alone doing so whilst recovering his basic CB form.
Deary me; I just feel sorry for him but what's worse is that this is our leader, our captain and he is completely unaccountable.
Which is ironic as they said his non-footballing career would have been that of an Accountant.

Tapori

There's been plenty of CB's who lack pace before.

He's always been a bit slow to turn and accelerate but not to this level, his top speed once kept him up with Sane ffs.

Lets be honest he got injured, came back too quickly and hasn't looked the same since. He isn't fit.

Something is very wrong at this club because we keep rushing players back. We have a huge squad but won't trust the squad players?!

Look at the performance Bailly put out yesterday and he must be sitting on the bench thinking WTF do I have to do to get a match? if he put in even half of that sort of performance Maguire did against Leicester he'd be sold instantly.

It's the same in midfield too. Pogba put in a bad performance, but no doubt as soon as he's unbanned he's back in the team.
Maguire's flaws at the highest level were always his reading of the game and decision making at the HIGHEST level CONSISTENTLY.
Any player can make a mistake but the best players make fewer and the elite players not only make fewer but make their fellow players make better decisions and cover for their colleagues.

The lack of accountability is demoralizing; by any stretch of performance and form he should not be starting.

AshRK

Him leading this club sums up our club. Zero personality , zero leadership, zero mentality. Has been performing like a clown. Disgraceful performances.

TSE123

Why? His defensive partners both managed shot on own goal.
Bailly was unlucky and Lindelofs was no big deal at all. Except for those incidents both did pretty well.
Maguire spent about 90 % out of position, is very slow and clumsy on the ball (not sure why, but he looks terrified when he gets the ball). Normally i dont think he is great but now he obviously lacks confidence.

Mickson

We’ve gone from the likes of Bruce, Stam, Rio and Vidic to this guy. Actually plenty of less heralded CBs we’ve had over the years have looked more assured.
I very much doubt he is worse than Bruce was. As a player, that is. As a captain, he is one of the worst we've seen.

Josep Dowling

Has been an issue in defence since the Leicester game. He’s made so many individual errors leading to goals since. He’s captain and seems to be silent most games, or just pointing. Surely Ole has to see him as a huge problem? I can’t help feeling his price tag means he’s undroppable.

Skills

Snitch
I don't think he will be. He's the captain & the most expensive defender of all time - this makes him nearly impossible to drop, without it attracting huge amounts of attention.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's too late now as the rest of the team have been dragged down to his level. You could see from the first goal yesterday the likes of Fernandes have just given up fighting against the managerial stupidity

Red_Aaron

Very tough to drop your captain, best way is for all parties to invent an injury

Had Varane been fit it's a possibility but without him I don't see it happening. You can't trust bailly to stay fit long enough anyway

Hopefully he gets a couple of good run outs for England and it focuses his mind. Luke too

Status
Not open for further replies.