Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus agrippa

This signing defines the clubs slump in the last few years. A decent PL defender for a solid mid table club for me. Would be deemed good at Villa, West Ham, Wolves for example. To Captain United, it takes a special brand of footballer. There’s no way Maguire can reach those levels. I might feel sorry for him if he wasn’t seeing £150k+ in his bank account every week!!
The thing is, the Glazers and their banker lackeys will be on investment calls, fan forums, etc. boasting about our having the highest net spend of any club in Europe, or something; I wonder why no one pulls them up on that. Like, how do you have that, but not come anywhere near winning a title in near a decade, or not win a trophy in nearly five years?

I'll tell you how: spunking 80 million on Maguire, 50 million on AWB. These Glazers don't strike me as shrewd operators, because the amounts they waste are staggering, in wages and fees, for little return. Or perhaps they don't care so long as the margins allow them to pocket millions.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They are captains at the other rivals
Quite spectacularly you got all 3 wrong, Henderson is Liverpool captain, Azpilicueta is Chelsea captain and Fernandinho is City captain.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Lucky not to have conceded 2 pens and then unlucky not to score - or maybe he's just shit at heading?

As poor as his defending was for the first one, you have to say he’s been let down badly by Shaw there, who has himself been terrible.

Abraxas

First one wasn't really lucky not to be a penalty. Questionable defending but it's not nearly a penalty by virtue of a defender making a move towards an opponent.

Second was definitely fortunate, just bundled the lad over!

VivaRonaldo85

The thing is, the Glazers and their banker lackeys will be on investment calls, fan forums, etc. boasting about our having the highest net spend of any club in Europe, or something; I wonder why no one pulls them up on that. Like, how do you have that, but not come anywhere near winning a title in near a decade, or not win a trophy in nearly five years?

I'll tell you how: spunking 80 million on Maguire, 50 million on AWB. These Glazers don't strike me as shrewd operators, because the amounts they waste are staggering, in wages and fees, for little return. Or perhaps they don't care so long as the margins allow them to pocket millions.
It’s a cold hard business to them full stop. I was lucky to spend two weeks in west palm beach last May for work right by where they live, both in beautiful mansions. Honestly, it couldn’t have felt further away from Old Trafford unless you’d been on the moon. Providing their football club business is turning over good money and profits are acceptable, they honestly couldn’t give a s**t about all the things us fans bemoan. Our owners live in fantasy land and it shows on the front line, ie. the pitch.

Oranges038

Steve Bruce was labelled a third division player, that couldn't run, couldn't head it etc. Possibly some of the best money spent by the club and he went on to become a great defender and captain for Man Utd.

Harry Maguire, supposed to be one of the best defenders in the league. Comes highly regarded, most expensive defender in the world. Possibly some of the worst money spent by the club and will go down as a tragic defender and one of the worst captains in Utd's history.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
That’s fair enough, I just wanted to establish where you are coming from. You think he is playing decent at the moment, including today.
Yes, he was decent today. Not great, but decent. He had that one incident (the "stomp") where he didn't do well initially with their attacker (can't remember his name) but he recovered well. There was another incident where Maguire looks at fault (where their player tried to do "dink" De Gea), but in that play Varane should have come to cover so Maguire could step over to the player who had the chance. When they were coming down Maguire had the guy with the ball and then had to step over to the guy he passed to. Varane should have been screaming at Maguire to switch off but instead he hung Maguire out to dry on that play...

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Has Ralf been told by the board that Maguire must play? I'm fairly certain he has.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
That back-heel block attempt actually made me laugh out loud as it happened. Which is probably illustrative of how little I care about this team right now.

I think he's done quite a bit of good since he joined us, but this season in particularly has been very, very bad for him. A manager with any sense would sit him out for a few weeks.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
That back-heel block attempt actually made me laugh out loud as it happened. Which is probably illustrative of how little I care about this team right now.

I think he's done quite a bit of good since he joined us, but this season in particularly has been very, very bad for him. A manager with any sense would sit him out for a few weeks.
Might it be worth trying some intensive speed training and weight loss with him? He's just far too cumbersome.

UDontMessWith24

80 mill plus captain’s armband makes him a starter every match even if it costs 2 points to united
He’s one of the core group of players they like to market heavily too and was going to be all along. They wouldn’t spend 80 million on a player that “only” helps win football games. He’s the gritty marauding English center half which we have to have because United DNA.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Poor yesterday with how he got turned and nearly gave a penalty but it was Varane who let in the goal with his excessive pressing by himself.

Andersonson

It's pretty obvious that Maguire, captain of Manchester United, is affected by all the things that are being said about him. He looked a nervous wreck today. What a loser.
Not the first player to not cope with the pressure. Becks, Rooney etc have all failed under pressure from the media/fans.

Calling someone a loser anonymously online is a very brave act though. You must be awesome

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Apologies if this has been posted before, but I had a right laugh. Maguire should take a long extended break from football.

stw2022

We need to get away from this idea that the captaincy is either some kind of poisoned chalice holding him back or this sacred honour he’s besmirching by being in possession of it. He walks out first and he probably has a say in organising the Christmas meal. Beyond that in modern day football being captain is a fairly innocuous, ceremonial role

red4ever 79

i have re watched the second half and the only thing I can come up with is embarrasing. Turned on the left and left for dead, went to early near the half way line, got turned and the sight of him trying to run back.

Turned on the right side near the end, could and probably should have given away a penalty. The worst CB I have seen at our club since Prunier. Smalling was better than this. 80M that could have been spent on a CDM and we would have been better off.

Grande

I doubt United would buy him again for 80 mill. Salary and transfer fee will always be component when you evaluate a player. And it makes sense when you evaluate an investment.

At the moment we don’t need to look at his price tag, however. He’s simply not good enough as a starting player at United.
That’s it - a former price tag is relevant when you evaluate an investment - the act of investing - which is what Woody did. We know Solskjær and Mourinho wanted the player, but the price was set by Woodgate and Judge in cooperation with Leicester. If you want to evaluate their work, it’s relevant.

To evaluate Maguire’s work, it’s completely irrelevant, and people do it time and again as an irrational way to stir up emotions every time he has a bad - or even ok - game. Same thing happens with Pogba. Sir Matt Busby already knew this about people, negotiating Tommy Taylors price down one sterling, to £29.000, because he knew that silly people would put irrational pressure on the young lad and thus affect his performances.

The only thing slightly relevant - not to evaluate Harry Maguires performances, but if you want to play football manager - is how much you (Arnold/Judge) can hypothetically get another club to pay for him in the future, compared to what you can pay for a new CB who is better than Maguire. Knowing our negotiating team, perhaps we’re better off backing Maguire to recover last years form again rather than replacing him through another bad investment?

AndySmith1990

I doubt United would buy him again for 80 mill. Salary and transfer fee will always be component when you evaluate a player. And it makes sense when you evaluate an investment.

At the moment we don’t need to look at his price tag, however. He’s simply not good enough as a starting player at United.
In hindsight I very much doubt we'd buy him at all, regardless of price. He's a massive flop, definitely not the calibre of player we need to help close the chasm above us

red4ever 79

In hindsight I very much doubt we'd buy him at all, regardless of price. He's a massive flop, definitely not the calibre of player we need to help close the chasm above us
In hindsight we wouldnt buy half of our players again. Which players purchased by Ole have been a success? Been more bad than good surely.

Devil77

Not the first player to not cope with the pressure. Becks, Rooney etc have all failed under pressure from the media/fans.

Calling someone a loser anonymously online is a very brave act though. You must be awesome
Eh? Becks and Rooney were actually the opposite and thrived under pressure. Rooney was let down by his age and Becks fell out with SAF.

red4ever 79

Eh? Becks and Rooney were actually the opposite and thrived under pressure. Rooney was let down by his age and Becks fell out with SAF.
Agree. Never seen an individual have the pressure Becks did, especially after the 98 World Cup. Showed remarkable inner strength to come through that, and the comment on Rooney!! Our top goal scorer who was widely acknowledged at 16 as being a special boy

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Maguire's mistake didn't lead to a goal.

Varane's mistake led to one.

Classical Mechanic

Rooney had a secret drinking problem because of the pressure. Undoubtedly the reason why he would play completely shite for long periods and didn’t fulfil his potential ultimately.

Becks was great at handling pressure.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Apologies if this has been posted before, but I had a right laugh. Maguire should take a long extended break from football.

Although I know you can make fail videos for every player, some of the shit in this video is so bad :lol:

One of the biggest issues I think for Maguire is that the stuff he does mostly well (mainly positional) will go largely unnoticed until he's not in the side for an extended period of time.

But it's impossible to miss him being skinned by every striker in the league and hugely frustrating.

A really expensive mistake in recruitment that's for sure, even those less outright damning of Maguire would have to admit that.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
That’s a fecking penalty.

First the player leaves him for dead, then when Maguire finally catches up to him - he clatters him without any attempt to go for the ball, whilst the attacker still has control of the ball.

This man is a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.