Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SER19

He really is fast becoming one of the worst signings we have ever made.

You can bench bad signings and hid them away like bebe and overran, but this guy costing us 80 million is going to mean he will always play, because Ed Woodward is an idiot
Ya, hard to say we'd have been worse off with lindelof beside Varane, and Dalot RB

I’ll be honest, I had hardly watched Maguire before we signed him. I kept hearing that he was a ball playing CB, that it was one of his big strengths.

I think he is a liability on the ball, feels like he is panicking as soon as he receives the ball. He certainly can’t operate in tight areas or combine with some intricate passing. He is a solid defender though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He didn't even get tight on his man for the goal. Poor man marking there.

And he still fecking stopped playing and raised his hand for any possible offside. Wonder if someone need to let him know about VAR.

BainthaBrakk

Ya, hard to say we'd have been worse off with lindelof beside Varane, and Dalot RB
So you think Maguire has been better than Lindelof this year? And Dalot, has he been bad? And people are complaining about English bias, gee, I wonder why?

RedDevil@84

He is an average defender. He can be better than his current form. But that is about it. I take his good games as a bonus of sorts.

Roboc7

He wasn’t that good before we bought him, he’s not that good now and he never will be. Sooner that is accepted the better, forget the fee, forget he plays for England and find someone better. Said before we bought him he wasn’t much better than what we had he just didn’t get injured as much and unfortunately that’s been proven to be true.

copen1945

For a CB noted for size and heading ability, his effort for Atleti's goal was nonexistent. Poor for this match and for the season so far. It is too bad that he cannot be moved on in any practical way. For United's sake, he will have to get himself better or be coached into an improvement.

At the moment he's giving Rashford a run for his money for the biggest drop in quality.

Every game it feels like he's costing us goals and that was another today.

Manny

Grammar Police
Horrible performance. Showed his nerves early on and that set the tone for our first half.

Then there was that header where he sent the ball out for a corner in the first few minutes. What is it with him wanting to head everything as hard as he can?!

Strats

Has no leadership qualities whatsoever on the pitch. He looks clueless and scared at times

It’s a big problem, as Scholes pointed out in his post game analysis

TSE123

Cost another goal. He really is not good. Gets the basics wrong every game…

jesperjaap

He is an average defender. He can be better than his current form. But that is about it. I take his good games as a bonus of sorts.
Pretty much agree, think he is a decent defender above an average one personally on his best form, but the fee always was and even more so now is a joke.

His turning circle is starting to remind me of Phillip Senderos at Arsenal, its like a ferry ffs

lilcurt

How much longer can he survive at the club. Obviously I'm not foolish and know the club wouldn't want to lose a wedge on him. But has a United captain ever been so hated by our own fans?

He is so far away from being a United quality player, let alone captain. He really needs to go, best for all parties.

Gatecrasher27

He is the worst signing of all time at United, if he had been 8m he still would be bad but not the worst but when you make just value 10 x thar and see what we got....my god Woodward, Ole and the whole scouring team who suggested him should of been put om gardening leave

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Ball in the air comes to him and he heads it no matter what. So many times he can take it down or head it accurately and he never does.

Anders80

Maguire's positioning is off all the time and he's so incredibly slow. Players turn circles around this guy and we see this constantly. Other players have to cover for him every match it seems.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Is there a thread that can explain what he's even good at? Because tbh I can't seem to tell anymore, if you asked me I would say he's a good header of the ball defensively at least, but right now even that is out the window.

Mainoldo

He is the worst signing of all time at United, if he had been 8m he still would be bad but not the worst but when you make just value 10 x thar and see what we got....my god Woodward, Ole and the whole scouring team who suggested him should of been put om gardening leave
Remember when Mourinho wanted him and the scouting team said, £60m? He’s not better than what we have!!! (Phil Jones included)

Let’s not blame the scouting team again. They never get listened to when our managers get desperate.

Gavinb33

The problem with the over analysis of football is that it's always someone's fault when a goal is scored sometimes its just a good goal.

Sure he maybe could have made himself bigger, but Shaw can see the run of Felix, Maguire cannot, if Shaw doesn't call the run what chance has any defender got in that split second none.

Now I'm not saying Maguire played well but then again no one really did except maybe the subs who changed the game somewhat

captain666

Time for United to bite the bullet,no amount of coaching is going to improve Harry's play.He is just way too slow and cumbersome for the way are likely to play in future.Sell in the summer but don't even think of getting more than 30M,

captaincantona

Not an elite centre back that offers you assuring calmness at the back. Which is fine if you have that other Centre back next to him. We don’t. Varane was stinking too. Where is the calmness back there...it’s non existent...we look like we are playing football with a ticking time bomb at the back playing out. No one comfortable. Don’t trust him one bit.

Green Arrow

He won't be going anywhere in the summer, they spent £80M on him they will want to protect their "Investment". Will he remain captain when the new manager comes that remains to be seen.

Meep

I think the CBs looked shit because of AM owning the midfield with small chances for them to pass it forward. They want to do something more than pass it sideways but is totally blocked out and then has to reverse to the "chicken" alternative and that hurts their confidence when this happens over and over again. The whole setup with VL to the right was dumb. It looked a lot better when Matic AWB came on. And I think we should have started with Varane, Victor, Shaw and Telles. Maguire needs a confidence boost and special training on his speed and athleticism.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Has anyone else noticed that when the backing is in a completely straight line and absolutely still, this guy is kind of pacing back and forth not truly knowing what to do

This is definitely not his level it's very clear

Lentwood

I thought the agenda from the commentary team against Maguire yesterday was so clear and obvious it bordered on a disgrace.

Robbie Savage blamed Maguire for the goal. I think we all accept a number of players could have done a tiny little bit more, as with any goal, Maguire included, but it was just a great delivery and a great blindside run. After the game, Ralf Rangnick called the goal 'nearly impossible to defend', so I'll take Ralf's view over Robbie Savage's, thanks.

Several United players probably had their worst ever games, in terms of ball retention. Bruno and Pogba hardly found a pass all game and lost the ball in dangerous areas multiple times. Fred, well....Fred is just Fred. Even Varane lost the ball a couple of times in dangerous areas. Yet when Maguire is given a difficult pass by Shaw deep in our own half under pressure, his left-footed clearance, which goes 30-yards and is intercepted on the halfway line, is criticised by Savage who remarks 'given away by Maguire, he has been sloppy in possession today. Absolute bollocks.

Fred mis-controls a pass from Maguire and is lucky to get a free-kick. Savage criticises Maguire. No mention of Fred's (usual) terrible touch or lack of ability to shield the ball under pressure. Nope, it's all Maguire's fault for passing it to him too hard. Imagine Roy Keane or Paul Scholes turning to Vidic after mis-controlling a pass and saying 'next time pass it softer please'. Laughable. Absolutely laughable. In fact, Keane used to famously berate teammates who didn't fire the ball into each other, because good players should be able to deal with it.

After the game, Paul Scholes blamed Marcus Rashford's poor form on Maguire. 'Marcus needs someone to tell him on the pitch, keep it simple, it comes down to leadership, we have talked about lack of leadership at United, Harry Maguire as captain, doesn't really do it'. Brilliant. Now we know then, if a player performs badly, it's Maguire's fault for not telling them not to.

The problem with this is that then when you browse RedCafe later, you see the numpties have been influenced subliminally and they're out en-masse talking about Maguire being 'sloppy in possession', 'at fault for the first goal' and 'not a leader'. All absolute rubbish, as usual.

The agenda is clear. Maguire starts every game on a 5 in the World of football punditry. If he's average, it's a 5. If any other player is average, it's a 6 or 7. Maguire has to be really good to be described as 'OK', in fact, he needs to be basically foot-perfect.

I actually thought Maguire was one of our best players last night, amongst a series of poor individual performances. Yet you wouldn't know it because 75% of this forum are only capable of regurgitating what pundits say.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I thought the agenda from the commentary team against Maguire yesterday was so clear and obvious it bordered on a disgrace.

Robbie Savage blamed Maguire for the goal. I think we all accept a number of players could have done a tiny little bit more, as with any goal, Maguire included, but it was just a great delivery and a great blindside run. After the game, Ralf Rangnick called the goal 'nearly impossible to defend', so I'll take Ralf's view over Robbie Savage's, thanks.

Several United players probably had their worst ever games, in terms of ball retention. Bruno and Pogba hardly found a pass all game and lost the ball in dangerous areas multiple times. Fred, well....Fred is just Fred. Even Varane lost the ball a couple of times in dangerous areas. Yet when Maguire is given a difficult pass by Shaw deep in our own half under pressure, his left-footed clearance, which goes 30-yards and is intercepted on the halfway line, is criticised by Savage who remarks 'given away by Maguire, he has been sloppy in possession today. Absolute bollocks.

Fred mis-controls a pass from Maguire and is lucky to get a free-kick. Savage criticises Maguire. No mention of Fred's (usual) terrible touch or lack of ability to shield the ball under pressure. Nope, it's all Maguire's fault for passing it to him too hard. Imagine Roy Keane or Paul Scholes turning to Vidic after mis-controlling a pass and saying 'next time pass it softer please'. Laughable. Absolutely laughable. In fact, Keane used to famously berate teammates who didn't fire the ball into each other, because good players should be able to deal with it.

After the game, Paul Scholes blamed Marcus Rashford's poor form on Maguire. 'Marcus needs someone to tell him on the pitch, keep it simple, it comes down to leadership, we have talked about lack of leadership at United, Harry Maguire as captain, doesn't really do it'. Brilliant. Now we know then, if a player performs badly, it's Maguire's fault for not telling them not to.

The problem with this is that then when you browse RedCafe later, you see the numpties have been influenced subliminally and they're out en-masse talking about Maguire being 'sloppy in possession', 'at fault for the first goal' and 'not a leader'. All absolute rubbish, as usual.

The agenda is clear. Maguire starts every game on a 5 in the World of football punditry. If he's average, it's a 5. If any other player is average, it's a 6 or 7. Maguire has to be really good to be described as 'OK', in fact, he needs to be basically foot-perfect.

I actually thought Maguire was one of our best players last night, amongst a series of poor individual performances. Yet you wouldn't know it because 75% of this forum are only capable of regurgitating what pundits say.
100% completely agree and have been saying this for ages. So many people are muppets that just repeat what they're told. Blaming Maguire for that goal last night was an absolute joke. If I'm going to look for someone to blame it would be Fred as he was beaten way too easily. But after that it was an amazing cross, a great run and an incredible finish. But when people have an agenda they will look for reasons to blame a particular player...

Gavinb33

Agree with this, sometimes a good goal is just a good goal and people are always looking for someone to blame Maguire is an easy target but that goal wasnt his fault.

Chief123

100% completely agree and have been saying this for ages. So many people are muppets that just repeat what they're told. Blaming Maguire for that goal last night was an absolute joke. If I'm going to look for someone to blame it would be Fred as he was beaten way too easily. But after that it was an amazing cross, a great run and an incredible finish. But when people have an agenda they will look for reasons to blame a particular player...
Maguire was "ok" last night which is a bonus as opposed to him being horrific.

I don't have an agenda against him. In fact, I very rarely have a serious liking or disliking towards any player. I credit and discredit a player as I see it. However, there is no doubt in my mind that Maguire is shite and never going to be good enough for Utd. The best we can get out of him in any given game is a game where he isn't exposed and doesn't make a glaring mistake. He really is shit.

Sylar

I don't think it was due to a hard pass. But it was a stupid pass that should have been on the floor. Fred should have done better but Maguires pass under little to no pressure was shocking

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't think it was due to a hard pass. But it was a stupid pass that should have been on the floor. Fred should have done better but Maguires pass under little to no pressure was shocking
The only reason Fred was under pressure was because he tried to control it to his feet rather than touch it into space. It was a basic play that any midfielder should deal with easily. If his first touch is 3 feet to his right there is no issue. But he tries to control it and invited pressure and then blames Maguire for his miscontrol.

Stacks

Him and Shaw together isn't the one, we looked so much more collected when Telles came on
I would move them both on and rebuild.
I’ll be honest, I had hardly watched Maguire before we signed him. I kept hearing that he was a ball playing CB, that it was one of his big strengths.

I think he is a liability on the ball, feels like he is panicking as soon as he receives the ball. He certainly can’t operate in tight areas or combine with some intricate passing. He is a solid defender though.
this is me. I saw him in the world cup and they were waxing lyrical about his on ball ability but I was feeling meh. Then when we were linked for 60-65mill I was confused. Then they rejected and I was like "dodged a bullet". then they went for 80. shit was weird but here we are. It will always be a rope to hang him.
He wasn’t that good before we bought him, he’s not that good now and he never will be. Sooner that is accepted the better, forget the fee, forget he plays for England and find someone better. Said before we bought him he wasn’t much better than what we had he just didn’t get injured as much and unfortunately that’s been proven to be true.
I didn't notice him to be fair

Lyng

I actually agree that the critique yesterday was way to harsh. He had a decent game and didnt put many feet wrong. Personally I feel Varane had a much worse game.
That having been said Maguire clearly is not the answer to our defensive issues and ist good enough to be a starter for United.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If we scored that goal that Felix scored everyone would be talking about how great a cross and finish it was. Not a single person would blame their defender. But when there's an agenda like there is against Maguire, this is what we get...

Status
Not open for further replies.