Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davicho

He will be dropped for the first time in his United career, against Atletico Madrid.

NewYorkRed

Four full pages moaning about Maguire’s performance. A grand total of 6 posts about Varane’s! Mental.

Some stats

Maguire made 1 tackle and 5 interceptions, plus 3 blocks.

1, 0 and 1 for Varane.

Can’t find stats on winning headers/aerial duels etc but would be fairly confident they paint a similar picture.
Stats are not everything. Maguire wasn’t as bad as people are saying, but his distribution and world class ability to shit the bed could have cost us 2 goals. For a “ball playing” CB, he stinks at it under pressure. Its not just the spurs game, he did it against leicester and many other times too. His complete lack of pace is criminal at this level and for how big he is, he never physically dominates strikers.

We messed up, time to admit it and move on. City have benched expensive mistakes in the past and quickly benched them, we should do the same.

JeffFromHK

Four full pages moaning about Maguire’s performance. A grand total of 6 posts about Varane’s! Mental.

Some stats

Maguire made 1 tackle and 5 interceptions, plus 3 blocks.

1, 0 and 1 for Varane.

Can’t find stats on winning headers/aerial duels etc but would be fairly confident they paint a similar picture.
Those x tackles, y interceptions, z blocks stats are meaningless for CBs.

Virgil van Dijk (21/22): 0.4 tackles per game, 0.9 interceptions per game, 0.5 blocks per game
Maguire (21/22): 1.0 tackles per game, 0.9 interceptions per game, 1.1 blocks per game
Michael Keane (21/22): 1.5 tackles per game, 1.5 interceptions per game, 0.9 blocks per game

according to your stats, Michael Keane is the "best" defender, Maguire comes next, VVD is the worst amongst the 3 :lol::lol:

United in sin

He will be dropped for the first time in his United career, against Atletico Madrid.
He was dropped against Watford in the 0-0 tie. We have a better chance against Atletico without him posing a threat to De Gea's goal

Varane is everything Maguire will never be. Genuinely world class

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Virgil van Dijk (21/22): 0.4 tackles per game, 0.9 interceptions per game, 0.5 blocks per game
Maguire (21/22): 1.0 tackles per game, 0.9 interceptions per game, 1.1 blocks per game
Michael Keane (21/22): 1.5 tackles per game, 1.5 interceptions per game, 0.9 blocks per game

according to your stats, Michael Keane is the "best" defender, Maguire comes next, VVD is the worst amongst the 3 :lol::lol:
If those stats were from the same game, against the same opposition they might be relevant. As it is, you’ve wasted both of our time. Well done.

Lentwood

There are many reasons why I would call this misusing stats. First of all the whoscored points/stats do not reflect the performance, especially not for a defender. It’s great that Harry had X clearances but too bad one ended up in his own goal, as example. A CB’s performance is to large extent measured in the mistakes/poor decisions/ poor executions he did or did not make. The stats showed here don’t tell us anything about that.
And the problem with Maguire is not that he doesn’t commit, but his failures and poor decisions.
Second is what @harms wrote in post earlier today. Different players, different styles and roles. Doesn’t make him better or more brave, just that he’s a player who wants to attack the player in front of him.

Varane might look too passive sometimes, just like Lindelof, but it’s their style and their roles. Instead they are good at shutting down and protect the space behind them. Varane is imo poor when he tries to attack the player in front of him and is often overplayed.

Yes Harry was unlucky. Again.
I am not interested necessarily in the ratings WhoScored give, I was making the point that visually, Maguire was the much more aggressive, progressive CB on Saturday (as he usually is) and the stats backed this up.

As I said earlier, you do usually get one "passive" and one "aggressive" CB, especially against one CF, but it's far easier, in my opinion, to be the passive one.

JB7

I am not interested necessarily in the ratings WhoScored give, I was making the point that visually, Maguire was the much more aggressive, progressive CB on Saturday (as he usually is) and the stats backed this up.

As I said earlier, you do usually get one "passive" and one "aggressive" CB, especially against one CF, but it's far easier, in my opinion, to be the passive one.
It's alright, half these folks seem to want to play Lindelof and Varane together so they can both be passive together. And they seem to genuinely think that's a good idea in a team that RR wants to press high up the pitch.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

You are comparing players on different teams. The OP was comparing defensive partners. One of which was being scapegoated. So he had every right to compare the stats to make an argument. For example, if you compare VVD to Matip, you will see that while their stats are similar this year, VVD's are better

Virgil van Dijk Statistics | Premier League
Joel Matip Statistics | Premier League

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

We don't play a "sweeper/stopper" system where one is the aggressor and one backs off. We play with a left and right centre half

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It's alright, half these folks seem to want to play Lindelof and Varane together so they can both be passive together. And they seem to genuinely think that's a good idea in a team that RR wants to press high up the pitch.
Problem is half our supporters want us to be Liverpool or City

SAFMUTD

So the better option is to play one of the slowest CBs in the league who's on terrible form? Sure that sounds better.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Maguire has definitely had a dodgy season but he is nowhere close to as bad as some people like to make out. He is still basically a good defender.

What we need above all in defence is a first pick back four. This was AWB, Lindelof, Maguire and Shaw last season - people seem unconvinced about all 4 of these now but they were decent last year. Whatever the right selection is we need to get a unit together more than anything.

Anustart89

The most infuriating thing with Maguire is the amount of times our defensive shape gets disrupted by him needlessly chasing after and "putting pressure" on an attacker who's 40 yards from goal, an attacker who never ends up misplacing a pass because of the "pressure" created by Maguire anyway. It always leads to a huge hole in the middle of our defence that is easily exploited by a runner from deep, and he keeps doing it so that he can jog back and say "job done" while the rest of the team has to reshuffle to cover the huge hole that he's created. I think he followed Kane into no-man's land at least four or five times while abandoning the entire notion of a defensive shape.

JB7

So the better option is to play one of the slowest CBs in the league who's on terrible form? Sure that sounds better.
So people would rather play Lindelof whose last performance was far worse than anything from Maguire over the past few weeks? That seems a perfectly reasoned argument.

A-man

One difficulty for the centre back of the aggressive type is to decide whether to push or not in a situation. Maguire is not good at making that decision imo, and often gets it wrong. At least this season. That makes it extra difficult for his partner, who has to cover for him.

A-man

You really don’t want to play a high line with Harry.

JB7

You really don’t want to play a high line with Harry.
You can't play a high line with De Gea in goal, no. Get a proper goalkeeper in and he's fine in the higher line. We saw it last season during Henderson's spell in goal, we've seen it with England and Leicester with different goalkeepers behind him.

But yeah, we'll keep this "oh he's too slow to play a high line" narrative even though it is utter shite and has been shown time and time again to be nonsense.

DickDastardly

The most infuriating thing with Maguire is the amount of times our defensive shape gets disrupted by him needlessly chasing after and "putting pressure" on an attacker who's 40 yards from goal, an attacker who never ends up misplacing a pass because of the "pressure" created by Maguire anyway. It always leads to a huge hole in the middle of our defence that is easily exploited by a runner from deep, and he keeps doing it so that he can jog back and say "job done" while the rest of the team has to reshuffle to cover the huge hole that he's created. I think he followed Kane into no-man's land at least four or five times while abandoning the entire notion of a defensive shape.

He should definitely just stick to the basics. Stay on the 16 yard box and head it out. Try not to concede a pen.

He sucks at everything else.

Lentwood

One difficulty for the centre back of the aggressive type is to decide whether to push or not in a situation. Maguire is not good at making that decision imo, and often gets it wrong. At least this season. That makes it extra difficult for his partner, who has to cover for him.
Its especially difficult if there's no press from the forwards and huge holes in the team.

We can go back and forth constantly but I'll still maintain Maguire is one of the top 5 CBs in the Premier League and our problems relate to lack of aggression, lack of organisation and lack of two proper CMs. I think you have to be really, really good just to look average as a defender in this team.

I'd also say just give him and Varane time to form a partnership. We haven't lost a game when Maguire and Varane have started (bar Villa, when we conceded after Maguire went off injured).

Kaos

Been dissapointed with Varane aswell to be fair.
Yeah I have too, but in all honesty its more a disappointment in his lack of being fit or available for selection. And besides, I feel more confident in his pedigree considering what he's achieved in his career, versus our Captain relegation extraordinaire.

SAFMUTD

So people would rather play Lindelof whose last performance was far worse than anything from Maguire over the past few weeks? That seems a perfectly reasoned argument.
Well I can't blame them, Maguire has been nothing short of a liability.

He scored an owngoal against Spurs, for some reason opened his legs in KdB goal, and lost Joao Felix in Atletico's goal on the first leg.

People fear Maguire will keep gifting goals like he has been lately, so they much rather try Lindelof. IMO I would rather play Lindelof, Bailly, or even Jones than Maguire.

Sure the subs might feck up, but Maguire beens shit, so rather gamble with someone new.

JB7

Well I can't blame them, Maguire has been nothing short of a liability.

He scored an owngoal against Spurs, for some reason opened his legs in KdB goal, and lost Joao Felix in Atletico's goal on the first leg.

People fear Maguire will keep gifting goals like he has been lately, so they much rather try Lindelof. IMO I would rather play Lindelof, Bailly, or even Jones than Maguire.

Sure the subs might feck up, but Maguire beens shit, so rather gamble with someone new.
And yet he was still better than Lindelof in their last game :lol: this is borderline irrational obsession at this point from people like you.

That said, you're saying an own goal down to nothing but sheer horrendous luck, a rebound that he literally had no time do anything about and a genuinely world class piece of attacking play are your three picks to show Maguire as a liability? Ok pal. I'm fully on board that he's having a horrendous season but those are not the goals to show it.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Has to go down as possibly the worst captain weve ever had.
Drops his load every time someone with pace runs at him, has poor position marking set pieces, his lack of pace means Shaw and one of the dm have to cover up for him (3 players doing the job of one) we look so much better when hes not playing.
Hoping some other team is stupid enough to offer is anything for him which we should accept.

SAFMUTD

And yet he was still better than Lindelof in their last game :lol: this is borderline irrational obsession at this point from people like you.
You're only focusing on Lindelof in a game where both of them were terrible, Lindelof fecked up in Foden's play which ended up in De Bruynes goal, and Maguire fecked up big time with that self nut meg.

Its like you're saying Lindelof was shit and Maguire wasn't. They were both shit. You could argue which one was less shittier but doesn't change the fact Maguire sucked in that game.

Also Maguire has been shit in 4 of the last 5 games, so I rather go down with Lindelof or Bailly/Jones as I said earlier.

That said, you're saying an own goal down to nothing but sheer horrendous luck, a rebound that he literally had no time do anything about and a genuinely world class piece of attacking play are your three picks to show Maguire as a liability? Ok pal. I'm fully on board that he's having a horrendous season but those are not the goals to show it.
Are you serious? Do you think the own goal was horrendous luck? He attacked the ball facing his own goal ffs. That's not "horrendous luck" that's lack of technique, of anticipation if anything.

Rebound he had no time? Ok mate, I don't think we'll find common ground here, if you actually think he had no time in that nutmeg we must be seeing different games.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Are you serious? Do you think the own goal was horrendous luck? He attacked the ball facing his own goal ffs. That's not "horrendous luck" that's lack of technique, of anticipation if anything.
Lack of technique and anticipation.

A-man

You can't play a high line with De Gea in goal, no. Get a proper goalkeeper in and he's fine in the higher line. We saw it last season during Henderson's spell in goal, we've seen it with England and Leicester with different goalkeepers behind him.

But yeah, we'll keep this "oh he's too slow to play a high line" narrative even though it is utter shite and has been shown time and time again to be nonsense.
DDG is another problem but Maguire is for sure not the best for a high line. It’s not so much because he is slow, it’s because he is poor 1v1 and the opponent always try to isolate him. He also get pulled in to wrong positions.
Its especially difficult if there's no press from the forwards and huge holes in the team.

We can go back and forth constantly but I'll still maintain Maguire is one of the top 5 CBs in the Premier League and our problems relate to lack of aggression, lack of organisation and lack of two proper CMs. I think you have to be really, really good just to look average as a defender in this team.

I'd also say just give him and Varane time to form a partnership. We haven't lost a game when Maguire and Varane have started (bar Villa, when we conceded after Maguire went off injured).
Last season he was too 5 for sure. If he gets back to that level, we’ll just have to wait and see.

I don’t think Lindelof and Varane has lost a game together either. Should be noted though that Varane hasn’t played any big matches yet, except for Madrid away. In the end, if Maguire gets his shit together, which he seems to be on track of getting, and if we improve with a world class DM, I think we have three good options as central defenders.

Leftback99

Oh Varane did it as well, so I guess its not a mistake. Im sorry my bad everybody, Maguire's own goal wasnt a mistake nor his fault.
Nice attempt to deflect. So does Varane also lack technique and anticipation or not?

SAFMUTD

Nice attempt to deflect. So does Varane also lack technique and anticipation or not?
In that specific play of course he does, no own goal is "unlucky" besides some deflected shots towards goal. Anytime a cross is made and the centerback ends up scoring in his own goal its a mistake. No matter if Maguire, Varane or god damn Beckenbauer did it, its a mistake.

Longshanks

In that specific play of course he does, no own goal is "unlucky" besides some deflected shots towards goal. Anytime a cross is made and the centerback ends up scoring in his own goal its a mistake. No matter if Maguire, Varane or god damn Beckenbauer did it, its a mistake.
Mistake? Maybe but mistakes are made by every player all over the pitch all the time, more often than not they get away with them and noone talks about them, unfortunately at the moment every mistake maguire makes he is being punished for.

You see that sort of mistake alot quite often it doesn't end in a goal, but with maguires luck at the moment, on this occasion it does. It will change again at some point he will start getting some good luck and then he will look good again.

Leftback99

A mistake (or luck) isn't the same as ability which you brought into question.

SAFMUTD

Mistake? Maybe but mistakes are made by every player all over the pitch all the time, more often than not they get away with them and noone talks about them, unfortunately at the moment every mistake maguire makes he is being punished for.

You see that sort of mistake alot quite often it doesn't end in a goal, but with maguires luck at the moment, on this occasion it does. It will change again at some point he will start getting some good luck and then he will look good again.
Every player makes mistakes, they're human. But poor players make more mistakes than great players. It may be bad luck or whatever, but Maguire's mistakes have been costing the team the whole season, he's either the unluckiest mf in whole europe or he's just poor take your pick.

SAFMUTD

A mistake (or luck) isn't the same as ability which you brought into question.
Dont try to get into specific semantics to deviate the point, you know very well what I mean. If Messi miscontrols a pass is it because lack of technique or mistake/bad luck? if the same happens to Adama Traore?

Trying to defend Maguire's poor form taking specific examples from other players is the same scenario when people defended Ole by loosing to Watford saying "even Sir Alex lost once against them in his 27 year career".

Davicho

He has been in bad form all season, and even when he has played decently, he has been unlucky. So you are not starting him in a knockout game.

Leftback99

Dont try to get into specific semantics to deviate the point, you know very well what I mean. If Messi miscontrols a pass is it because lack of technique or mistake/bad luck? if the same happens to Adama Traore?

Trying to defend Maguire's poor form taking specific examples from other players is the same scenario when people defended Ole by loosing to Watford saying "even Sir Alex lost once against them in his 27 year career".
It's nothing to do with 'semantics', I wouldn't have said it in the first place if I knew what you meant. You're continuing to mix lacking technique with making a mistake from your original comment.

SAFMUTD

It's nothing to do with 'semantics', I wouldn't have said it in the first place if I knew what you meant. You're continuing to mix lacking technique with making a mistake from your original comment.
Well lacking technique makes you prone to commit more mistakes than a techinically better player doesnt it? anyway my point its that Maguire may be a poor player, or a great player on awful form or just the unluckiest player this world has ever seen but it doesnt change the fact that he should been dropped many weeks ago.

TSE123

Unfortunatley Maguire starting means at least one goal to AM tonight. Question is if we can score two or more!?

Status
Not open for further replies.