Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud7

He really has cemented his position in the last few games. We have finally found his best position and his best partner.

Biggins

Real change this season and hope he continues with this. MOTM for me and hope this never changes.

MrEleson

Amazing how we look a completely different side defensively without this guy on the pitch.

I no longer have my hands in my throat every time the ball enters our defensive 3rd of the pitch.

Pronewbie

Peep
I bet behind closed doors he's so removed from the team that takes the pitch. No leadership in him whatsoever

The Human thing to do would have been to sell him
I'm sure he's the sort who's respected in the team for his kindness and good nature. But yes I'd have preferred if we kept Bailly and sold him to Chelsea for EUR50M if the rumours were true. That gives us a sweeping+aggressive backup pair.

led_scholes

We would never have won today with him in the starting eleven.

Pray for Martinez and Varane to remain injury free.

Maguire can play in Europa.

MrEleson

It is damning for Ronaldo, explanatory for Maguire.

Maguire was one of the league’s best defenders in 20/21. Ronaldo comes in, and the league No 2 strengthened with Sancho, Varane and himself soon collapses, and Maguire turns into a shadow of himself. What is the factor? A player who makes a clique go the boss to attack teammates behind their back. Another player who is undermined and backstabbed by the worlds greatest player. Who is this more damning for?

There have quite clearly been some sort of split in the team last aeason, and numerous times Ronaldo + various players and Maguire + English players have been pointed out. Eric ten Hag reportedly struggled with cliiques at BM II when they won the reserves league.

What impresses me about Ten Hag now, is that he seems to have learned from this. He takes the central players involved in a split, gives them a fair chance so noone in the cliques can complain, then puts them on the bench immediately at the right moment after a loss, and the team is rewarded by a win, rendering any rivalry absurd and bonding the team again.
What nonsense.

Ralph1386

Amazing how we look a completely different side defensively without this guy on the pitch.

I no longer have my hands in my throat every time the ball enters our defensive 3rd of the pitch.
We would never have won today with him in the starting eleven.

Pray for Martinez and Varane to remain injury free.

Maguire can play in Europa.
Just think back to when we played Leicester away last year. Solsjkaer started him back then, even though he was just coming back from injury. He ended up being at fault for 3 of the 4 goals we conceded that day.

What a difference a year makes.

Chief123

It’s absolutely no surprise our 3 most solid defensive displays in a long long time come once we take Maguire out of the team.

It’s baffling the amount of excuses the Maguire lovers on here came out with trying to make out it was others around him that were at fault. The guy is clearly the biggest problem.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not that I attribute Maguire being shite last season to Ronaldo, but it is absolutely wrong to say Maguire was "shite well before Ronaldo arrived".

He was really good in the 2020/21 season, and had a solid 2019/20 season with us too.
19/20 he was inconsistent. Some good, some bad, some average.
20/21 he started terribly for the first few months (likely due to what happened in Greece), a few more months of inconsistent form, and then finally kicked into consistently good form for the second half of that season. He carried that form into the Euro's as well.
21/22 he was absolutely terrible for the first half of the season, then 'improved' to being average to below average for the second half of the season.

So in the three seasons that he has been here, he was only really good enough for half a season. He was very good in that period, but it's just not good enough.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s absolutely no surprise our 3 most solid defensive displays in a long long time come once we take Maguire out of the team.

It’s baffling the amount of excuses the Maguire lovers on here came out with trying to make out it was others around him that were at fault. The guy is clearly the biggest problem.
Yup. We play on the front foot more without him too. Mainly because he isn't taking 8 touches to release the ball forward.

Cloud7

In the last couple pages I saw that apparently it’s Ronaldo’s fault Maguire has been crap :lol:

FerociousCorgis

Should've sold him for 40 to 50 million to someone desperate for a England starting CB. Could've split that money on a 3rd/4th CB (depending on where lindelof falls) and a punt on a young CF who also plays how ETH wants to.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He seems to be a good natured lad which is rare these days we should have never gotten him in the first place, what a shame.

He might suit a triple backlash though.

bringbackbebe

He's been fantastic over the last 3 games. Our winning run wouldn't have been possible without his lack of contribution. Going to be player of the season if he continues this way.

suheilsworld

I just hope he never plays for us. The guy is an absolute liability. The only games I want him playing is the one against Omonoia and Sheriff

hp88

He must have been promised minutes in the cup games or else he would have left in this window, probably best for both parties though if moves on January.

SirAF

Ageist
Notice how he's not posted anything on SoMe about congratulating the lads with three points. Some captain, eh?

crossy1686

career ending
Notice how he's not posted anything on SoMe about congratulating the lads with three points. Some captain, eh?
Pathetic really isn’t it? Considering how quick he was to jump in front of the camera or on socials and spread blame. Now him and Shaw are out of the team the defence looks sturdy, and that’s even with Dalot still in there.

I can’t believe how quickly Ten Hag identified it, and even insisted on a CB being one of his first signings, despite having no midfield.

He’s in self preservation mode. Probably worried he won’t make the WC squad if he doesn’t play between now and November. I doubt we hear much from him now until someone gets injured, I also think he’ll ask for a move in the summer because the manager clearly doesn’t fancy him one bit.

Rodgerzzz

There was a point in time a couple of seasons back when he was out of the team through injury and our defense looked all at sea but after he came back in you could notice the difference with him being back.

Whatever's happened since then whether it be through personnel changes in the dressing room or just regressing as a player, it seems his time at Utd may be coming to an end unless he's happy with a role as backup. He'll know as well as anyone that a solid defensive partnership is vital to the spine of team & you don't have to watch the Lisandro/Rapha partnership for long to realise its worth sticking with.

It's a shame because, greek headbutting incidents aside, he seems like a kind natured & reserved person that we all genuinely wanted to root for when he first arrived. I wish him all the success whichever way he decides to take his career, whether he stays at Utd or decides to move on.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
The good thing is he's so deluded about his own ability that I don't think he'll put up for sitting on the bench as he'll think he's above that. Imagine he moves on in January if this continues and it likely will barring injury.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Sums up our transfers last 10 years. 80 mil for defender who makes defence worse. Bloody hell.
I do hope that Lindelof will be first backup, not Maguire

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His biggest problem is his inability to handle pressure. I said it last season. The best thing they can do for him is take the captaincy off him. Give him a chance to build confidence.
He panics and a captain panicking will ruin any team.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Two clean sheets on the bounce. Must be some kind of record for him. Great to see!

Tap

No howlers, no feck ups, no panic in the defence. 3 straight good performances in a row in his new position. Long may it continue.

TsuWave

Is the captaincy permanently Bruno’s now? I don’t see Varane or Martinez losing their spot, injury aside, so it’d be kinda weird to not have your captain feature

Maguire: Welcome Antony
Antony: Thank you
Bruno: Welcome Antony
Antony: Thank you Captain

Strats

Pathetic really isn’t it? Considering how quick he was to jump in front of the camera or on socials and spread blame. Now him and Shaw are out of the team the defence looks sturdy, and that’s even with Dalot still in there.

I can’t believe how quickly Ten Hag identified it, and even insisted on a CB being one of his first signings, despite having no midfield.

He’s in self preservation mode. Probably worried he won’t make the WC squad if he doesn’t play between now and November. I doubt we hear much from him now until someone gets injured, I also think he’ll ask for a move in the summer because the manager clearly doesn’t fancy him one bit.
Can’t think of us ever having a worse captain than him. Don’t even remember when I last did a post match interview after a loss or dropping points. Seems to shy from responsibilities.

His demeanour on the pitch screams insecurity which obviously has an affect on the team. It’s night and day now when Varane and Martinez have instilled some stability.

Found it a bit funny how Antony addressed Bruno as a captain when thanking them both on Instagram for welcoming him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not sure why the pile on.

In a practical sense, I hope he’s taking notes from the bench on being proactive and decisive in action and execution. Dithering and indecision will not cut it in a ten Hag team and he has to get with the program if he gets PT. He can’t read the game like either one of the starters, but he can do a damn sight better than he has been doing.

Problem with Maguire is his confidence has been shattered and the pressure on him to perform the next time he’s in the team is even greater than it was because we’re seeing what a CB is supposed to be and what they need to provide for one another. I, like everyone else, assume it’ll be Varane whose position will be contested by others during the campaign if/when he’s injured. It’s unenviable to have to come in for him because he’s one of the best in the world at his best, so scrutiny of understudies can be that much harsher in evidence of what they can’t do in relation to Varane. I don’t think that’s fair, but it is how these things go and it won’t be fair on Maguire to be bashed for not being Varane. As long as he can get with the program and be solid in rotation, his role is good enough for the campaign.

For himself, I have no idea why he didn’t opt to leave. He really doesn’t need the grief and he could’ve got far more playing time elsewhere. It’s some fall from grace to go from captain and starting CB to substitute who should only be a consideration in rest, injury or rotation of the starters. I don’t know if he’s been given assurances of his World Cup starting berth, or what, but this is absolutely the worst time for him to be relegated to the bench in light of his own aspirations.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Shout out to Harry Maguire aswell for nailing down his position on the bench without him rooted to the bench we may have lost this one. Easily been man of the match these last three games.

shahzy

Wait till we start hearing leaks about "discontentment". Gonna start getting louder before the WC when Maguire and Shaw realise they have no chance of being in the england lineup

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Is the captaincy permanently Bruno’s now? I don’t see Varane or Martinez losing their spot, injury aside, so it’d be kinda weird to not have your captain feature

Maguire: Welcome Antony
Antony: Thank you
Bruno: Welcome Antony
Antony: Thank you Captain
Damn,this was for real? Antony burned him to death there

eire-red

I'm sure we'll look to offload him once the window opens. It made sense to keep him with this insane schedule coming up to the WC and still question marks over Varane and his fitness.

Long term, we need to sell him. It is surely creating a rift having your captain sat on the bench, but can't see a way back into the team with Martinez and Varane looking assured.

shahzy

Not sure why the pile on.
Because hes been the overarching reason the defence has been shit for a couple years. Somehow he escaped and it was pinned on Lindelof (who himself isnt fantastic) but it was Maguire whos been shit the entire time. He would only be played because he's english, costs 80mil and given 'captaincy.' On top of that the blame game he tries to play after every defeat trying to shift it on to the team rather than himself when hes at fault time and time again all culminate into a fanbase that does not like this individual. He was boo'ed for a reason at the MCG.

There are two solutions to this that i can think of, he's sold or he's indefinitely taken out the first team as is happening now and only reintroduced when Varane (invariably) gets injured and imo AFTER Lindelof has also been injured. He should be 4th choice. In an ideal world, a club run like a top club would have binned him off and got SOME sort of money back for him. What we have done in the past is keep players in the hopes they turn it around in the 2% chance that they do, that tanks their value and we sell for 5 mil at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.