Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

Because the point/post i responded said EtH relies on Maguire, his mins doesn't say that.
Yeah, so really you’re equating minutes played to reliance. It’s one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is to think what effect it would have if (god forbid) Maguire had a circumstance that ruled him out permanently. We would have to replace him as quite a high priority. That wouldn’t apply to everyone in the squad in my opinion. Having said that, most areas of the squad are a little thin if subjected to that kind of disaster analysis.

Going back to using “rely” about Maguire, it’s not to say he’s fundamentally important, more that ETH does still need him until a better RCB is signed.

Bondi77

Fat Ron replaced Wilkins with Robson. That’s the only time I can remember the incumbent captain being ousted at United. Wilkins was perma-crocked at the time.

Bruce was made joint captain with Robson until the latter retired.

I’m not sure it happens often elsewhere. Xakha was sacked as Arsenal captain for acting like a twat towards the fans; something Maguire has never done.
And I am sure all the managers relied on their captains otherwise what would be the point.

OrcaFat

Fat Ron replaced Wilkins with Robson. That’s the only time I can remember the incumbent captain being ousted at United. Wilkins was perma-crocked at the time.

Bruce was made joint captain with Robson until the latter retired.

I’m not sure it happens often elsewhere. Xakha was sacked as Arsenal captain for acting like a twat towards the fans; something Maguire has never done.
As an aside, re Robson and Wilkins, two very good, very different captains. In years afterwards when Robbo was injured a lot, I remember Brian Clough suggesting Robson should stand aside as England captain and let Wilkins do it - Robbo and Clough were TV pundits together on a live England match at the time (Robbo was injured). Robbo obviously took a bit of umbrage!

next_number_seven

I don't think he needs to do this to be honest, first choice for his country, and as clear as day that he just doesn't fit what ETH wants from a CB, and tbf he's been kept out by two of the best CB's in the world.

He should be really easy to sell for a decent fee, espcially as he'll want to leave himself.
I'm sure he'll have suitors but it can't be hard to match his wages but a small transfer fee would offset it

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, so really you’re equating minutes played to reliance. It’s one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is to think what effect it would have if (god forbid) Maguire had a circumstance that ruled him out permanently. We would have to replace him as quite a high priority. That wouldn’t apply to everyone in the squad in my opinion. Having said that, most areas of the squad are a little thin if subjected to that kind of disaster analysis.

Going back to using “rely” about Maguire, it’s not to say he’s fundamentally important, more that ETH does still need him until a better RCB is signed.
That's true but also it is true for every squad member too, except VdB, Phil Jones and other young players. Tbh what you said would be least applicable to Maguire among the senior first team players. For example, the player who will have least impact because of their injury is Maguire among the senior players.

EtH needs every single squad player as we will play without a midweek break.

OrcaFat

That's true but also it is true for every squad member too, except VdB, Phil Jones and other young players.

EtH needs every single squad player as we will play without a midweek break.
Yeah, more or less. As you say, it’s probably less of an issue if some of the younger players become unavailable but we do have a very heavy fixture schedule and will be glad of nearly everyone.

Revaulx

And I am sure all the managers relied on their captains otherwise what would be the point.
Well yes.

EtH doesn’t have to rely on Maguire as he can use Bruno in the role during games. At the same time there’s no point in unseating him as long as he’s happy to take a back seat and not act like a twat. Why upset a decent professional?

Revaulx

As an aside, re Robson and Wilkins, two very good, very different captains. In years afterwards when Robbo was injured a lot, I remember Brian Clough suggesting Robson should stand aside as England captain and let Wilkins do it - Robbo and Clough were TV pundits together on a live England match at the time (Robbo was injured). Robbo obviously took a bit of umbrage!
Ha! I’d forgotten that.

What I haven’t forgotten is how good Wilkins was in his first season for us, pulling all the strings as a deep lying playmaker in a season when we nearly won the league. His subsequent injuries seemed to rob him of confidence, which led to his developing a reputation for sideways passing.

OrcaFat

Ha! I’d forgotten that.

What I haven’t forgotten is how good Wilkins was in his first season for us, pulling all the strings as a deep lying playmaker in a season when we nearly won the league. His subsequent injuries seemed to rob him of confidence, which led to his developing a reputation for sideways passing.
Yeah Wilkins is one of my favourites. His game did contract a bit over the years but he was so natural and wise, for want of a better description. Robbo was a force of nature though.

Man Utd 3:1 Fulham

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Not as bad as usually, was a bit faster with the ball too. But my god it's tiring to see him get the customary early booking for the same thing so often. His idea of defending on the front foot is basically the same as Smalling's - pulling the opponent down with both hands as they get in trouble with their lack of pace. Would and will look better playing for a club that defends with a low block.

This season:

5 PL starts, 3 bookings
3 FA Cup starts, 2 bookings
2 Carabao Cup starts, 2 bookings
2 UEL starts, 1 booking

That's 8 bookings in 12 starts.

Mailo

Not as bad as usually, was a bit faster with the ball too. But my god it's tiring to see him get the customary early booking for the same thing so often. His idea of defending on the front foot is basically the same as Smalling's - pulling the opponent down with both hands as they get in trouble with their lack of pace. Would and will look better playing for a club that defends with a low block.

This season:

5 PL starts, 3 bookings
3 FA Cup starts, 2 bookings
2 Carabao Cup starts, 2 bookings
2 UEL starts, 1 booking

That's 8 bookings in 12 starts.
Smalling? Lack of pace?

Undone all his good work vs Betis tonight. Was really poor against Fulham. Seems like at OT he loses all confidence and the crowd gets on his back.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Smalling? Lack of pace?
Well maybe I should've said lack of intelligence in tight spots. Lack of speed in the brains or something. And the pulling from the shirt with these two is far from the subtle way more clever CBs do it. Licha for example.

Irwin99

Fans were on his back a bit, especially with the speed of his passing, much like they were with Lindelof a few weeks back. He's a good defender in certain set ups but is too slow unfortunately.

spiriticon

He is so symbolic of why we were so poor last year.

Just slow, unimaginative and technically deficient.

Mailo

Well maybe I should've said lack of intelligence in tight spots. Lack of speed in the brains or something. And the pulling from the shirt with these two is far from the subtle way more clever CBs do it. Licha for example.
Fully agree on that.

Roboc7

He was poor after a decent performance midweek. Hopefully he won’t have to start many more games now.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
No point complaining about him anymore. We only have to tolerate him for 2 more months and then he's gone.
Who will spend a fee on 30-year-old, 3rd choice center half on massive wages? Will be genuinely surprised if he moves in the summer.

Morpheus 7

Flashbacks to last year, he's so slow and you can see the nerves in the backline. Awb looked awful with him. He won a few headers but awful at bringing the ball forward, him and Scott are the things of nightmares together.

rooney2009

He is part of a good squad and doesn’t complain
Hopefully he leaves us with 3 cups and champions league qualification

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Complete liability. I can't believe how clueless he was when their winger was running towards the corner flag, going nowhere, and Maguire just uses two hands and pushes him in the back. From the resulting free kick Mitrovic almost scored a header to make it 2-0.

If Ten Hag doesn't rate Lindelof then I'd like to see him try Shaw and Martinez as a CB partnership when Varane is unavailable. Two left footed CBs can't be any worse than what we've seen from Maguire.

DevTheRed

Convinced he stops and puts his foot on the ball just to piss off the crowd. Takes an absolute age to move the ball on.

lex talionis

To paraphrase the immortal Harry Callahan -- actually, to quote him directly -- "A man's got to know his limitations."

Mmm-Qatarian

I wasn't massively impressed with Maguire today. I don't think he was quite as abysmal as is being made out but predominantly what was frustrating me were some of the fouls he was giving away; at times they were entirely unnecessary.

With that said, I do think some of the stick he gets for being "poor on the ball" is actually the result of the midfield in front of him. There were times when the crowd were on his back for being slow on the ball when the reason he was slow was because there was a complete absence of passing options. Without Eriksen, the burden for progression often falls entirely on the centre backs. Licha copes with it because he is probably the best centre back on the ball in world football, but it's not sustainable for a team looking to play out from the back.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its very difficult to not look ponderous on the ball when your centre mids aren't showing for a pass. I would prefer my CBs to hold onto it for a second longer rather than play a risky pass or hump it long in hope

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Who will spend a fee on 30-year-old, 3rd choice center half on massive wages? Will be genuinely surprised if he moves in the summer.
No one, we'll be back to these 1 year loan deals where we pay 80% of wages. £190k a week is bad enough, but for some reason he was given a 6 year contract, with an additional plus one. :houllier:

I can't recall a worse buy for us post-SAF years.

Longshanks

Thought he was ok actually. Largely dealt with Mitrovic and defended well on the most part.

Did ponder on the ball a bit mind, seemed to be a theme for the whole team today.

Wasn't his best by Any stretch but he was ok today in a generally poor team performance.

Sviken

What's with his terrible usage of hands? I've noticed this throughout his entire tenure here - he just can't keep them to himself. So clumsy and inefficient.

Mike Smalling

Nothing can convince me he has a future here at this point. Just too slow and clumsy to ever be good enough. Needs to play for another club next season. I believe he has conducted himself professionally this season, but fundamentally he will never be the right player for us.

sillwuka

Ten Hag and Maguire are handling this pretty well I'd say.

ETH clearly doesn't seem him as a starter and his role here is an important rotation player at best. Some players would have spat their dummy out in Jan forcing a loan move but he's kept quiet and came out in a recent interview saying he still tries to lead the team off the pitch, fair ***** to him.

He's won his first trophy and can move on to become a first teamer at a West Ham/Everton/Leicester now.

Status
Not open for further replies.