Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Maguire had a very good game today and credit where it’s due. Our best CB today.
It’s time we start behaving like a top club and have enough quality players in our squad.
This Maguire has to be here next season. Any CB of his quality will cost us nothing less than £60.

Meep

I still dont want Maguire here next season. But yesterday he looked solid. But Betis was very underwhelming. Might be the worst team we played this year

Yagami

Good post resistant
Maguire had a very good game today and credit where it’s due. Our best CB today.
It’s time we start behaving like a top club and have enough quality players in our squad.
This Maguire has to be here next season. Any CB of his quality will cost us nothing less than £60.
60 quid ain't bad in today's market!

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Considering Southampton are locked on to get relegated, we could get someone like Bella-Kotchap for far less and with considerable upside. Harry is a senior England center back and he should be going elsewhere so he can start and play regularly, same with Lindelöf.

KikiDaKats

Supports
Considering Southampton are locked on to get relegated, we could get someone like Bella-Kotchap for far less and with considerable upside. Harry is a senior England center back and he should be going elsewhere so he can start and play regularly, same with Lindelöf.
Maguire is better than Bella. Madrid (Carvalho/Pepe, Varane and Ramos), City, Juve, Bayern all have a set of internationals competing for a starting berth. Yet we want to compete against these guys with understudies. Injuries do happen.

davisjw

Maguire has had the right attitude this season: being positive in interviews, not slagging off the gaffer or the club because he isn't playing. Southgate has done us a favor by keeping him in the picture which helps things.

If he really is this happy to be a backup AND we can renegotiate his salary down (it's too high for a bench player) then we should certainly keep him around. We need depth and his confidence seems to be back which was a huge issue this past year.

Also, it's never bad for us to have English international players, especially a captain on our books. It should never be a priority but it's nice to see.

KikiDaKats

Supports
60 quid ain't bad in today's market!
That’s if Napoli/Ajax/etc will sell us their best CB for 60m. These are all starting players we believe should come over and wait for CBs in their prime to be rested for them to play.
I think we need a 5th CB and that doesn’t involve selling one of Maguire and Lindelof. Just like we need 2 more strikers without selling Martial.
Unless people believe we have to continue in our route of playing catch up rather than from a point of strength.

ti vu

Maguire has had the right attitude this season: being positive in interviews, not slagging off the gaffer or the club because he isn't playing. Southgate has done us a favor by keeping him in the picture which helps things.

If he really is this happy to be a backup AND we can renegotiate his salary down (it's too high for a bench player) then we should certainly keep him around. We need depth and his confidence seems to be back which was a huge issue this past year.

Also, it's never bad for us to have English international players, especially a captain on our books. It should never be a priority but it's nice to see.
While I commend his professionalism this season, I don't think it's a good idea to extend his stay even for rotation role. Even he has decent game, his weakness in a high defensive line glare up here and there. This game at 7th minute, you can see his lack of pace allowed Betis a chance. Against West Ham there was few instances too. That's not ideal for a rotation option.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Really liked his interview with BT Sport after the game... he said something like "on and off the pitch, everyday I try and make this club succeed" which I thought was well said.

Baneofthegame

I'd sell him in a heartbeat and replace him with De Vrij/Skinrar/Ndicka/Soyuncu who are all available on frees.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Are you sure these guys are better defenders? Or you’re just hoping they’ll be?
Ndicka and Skriniar yes one is going to PSG for free and one is available on a free this summer.
Kim Min-Jae another better defender is available for 50m euros this summer. We should replace him

Mmm-Qatarian

I don't really know much about the first three but I can confidently say that Soyuncu is not better than Maguire. Frankly, I think he's incredibly overrated. If people in here are frustrated by Maguire over-committing and getting caught out of position they'd have a very rude awakening with Soyuncu.

lex talionis

Props to Harry for keeping a stiff upper lip, but his relegating status isn't good for him as a footballer. He was a decent CB for Leicester, has been decent for England, started out well for United but then fell off a cliff after his shambolic idiocy in Greece and he's never recovered from that.

We must gird ourselves for the possibility that no club would be willing to pick up his wages.

KikiDaKats

Supports
Ndicka and Skriniar yes one is going to PSG for free and one is available on a free this summer.
Kim Min-Jae another better defender is available for 50m euros this summer. We should replace him
Okay let’s drop it down to those two because the third one at 50m(Napoli, top of the Serie A) is a lie.
LCB Ndicka and Maguire RCB, we’re not bringing him as cover or competition for Varane. Skriniar is already going to PSG, unless we can hijack that deal.
This makes your statement shameless and I can’t say with certainty they are better than Maguire. Have seen Skriniar accused of the same issues Maguire gets called out on over the year. Have you ever wondered why all these years of trying leave Inter no one is ever paid the money for him?

Baneofthegame

Yeah, for being 3/4th defender I would happily take all four, even someone like Guehi/Bella-Kotchap etc from a side potentially getting relegated I'd also take as they have upside to them.

Not to knock Maguires performance, as he was fine last night, but we should be moving him and his wages on this summer, not only for us but also his career.

Bondi77

Glad to hear he had a good game.
We need at least three top class CBs at our club and Harry is one of those.

Cassidy

Okay let’s drop it down to those two because the third one at 50m(Napoli, top of the Serie A) is a lie.
LCB Ndicka and Maguire RCB, we’re not bringing him as cover or competition for Varane. Skriniar is already going to PSG, unless we can hijack that deal.
This makes your statement shameless and I can’t say with certainty they are better than Maguire. Have seen Skriniar accused of the same issues Maguire gets called out on over the year. Have you ever wondered why all these years of trying leave Inter no one is ever paid the money for him?
Whats a lie? And what is shameless? Back your statements up.

You asked if the op was sure they are better defenders than Maguire. I pointed out 2 that were most certainly.
One that is going to PSG for free, another available for free and named another we could sign for 50m euros (release clause)

You claimed it would cost nothing less than 60m to replace Maguire. Well it wouldn’t clearly we could sign 2 CBs both better in Ndickia and Kim Min-Jae for the cost if 50m euros.

The cost we could recoup with the sale of Maguire and Lindelof by the way.

Now back your statement up (the one where you claimed I have lied)

Last edited:

KikiDaKats

Supports
Yeah, for being 3/4th defender I would happily take all four, even someone like Guehi/Bella-Kotchap etc from a side potentially getting relegated I'd also take as they have upside to them.

Not to knock Maguires performance, as he was fine last night, but we should be moving him and his wages on this summer, not only for us but also his career.
I’m not on the boat “he has a good game keep him” or “ he is shit sell him”. I don’t think we are at a position of strength to be discarding guys like Maguire, Fred and Martial. Come end of next season, after the additions of this summer, it’ll make sense.
We have a player here that is already working under this manager and according to the manager he progressed into his playing philosophy. Ideally, I’d want us to kick on from our current position and not taking backward steps. Bringing in new players are not always smooth sailing. A better player can come in next season and hit the ground running or needing 3+ month to get going. That’s a gamble I am not comfortable with in a season, we are expected to kick on.
There is nothing stopping us from signing the right players for the squad but we don’t have to rid to create room for guys we’ve not seen in this environment yet.
I understand people are not comfortable with the club captain being on the bench. This I find ridiculous because players should only be on the pitch when their form is right or needed for that particular game.

KikiDaKats

Supports
Napoli are revisiting his contract and their status as potential champions of Serie A. Makes that €45-50m reaching or an unattainable pricing plus Napoli are not a selling club.
Transfer clause just don’t exist in isolation. What is it contingent on?

Cassidy

Napoli are revisiting his contract and their status as potential champions of Serie A. Makes that €45-50m reaching or an unattainable pricing plus Napoli are not a selling club.
Transfer clause just don’t exist in isolation. What is it contingent on?
He has not signed a contract so we could sign him in the summer for 50m due to his release clause. Thats a fact Napoli wouldn’t be able to do anything about it if we convinced the player, selling club or not. So clearly the price is not unattainable, odd statement to make.

The point is there are players out there, the 2 mentioned are not the only ones.

KikiDaKats

Supports

You asked if the op was sure they are better defenders than Maguire. I pointed out 2 that were most certainly.
One that is going to PSG for free, another available for free and named another we could sign for 50m euros (release clause)

You claimed it would cost nothing less than 60m to replace Maguire. Well it wouldn’t clearly we could sign 2 CBs both better in Ndickia and Kim Min-Jae for the cost if 50m euros.

The cost we could recoup with the sale of Maguire and Lindelof by the way.

Now back your statement up (the one where you claimed I have lied)
Ndicka won’t be a replacement in role LCB.
Kim will not cost us 60m.
Try other names.

Im not going into the mental gymnastics of how the money should be raised. This is United and we will always have the money if we want to sign a player in the summer. The accountants are paid for that.

KikiDaKats

Supports
He has not signed a contract so we could sign him in the summer for 50m due to his release clause. Thats a fact Napoli wouldn’t be able to do anything about it if we convinced the player, selling club or not. So clearly the price is not unattainable, odd statement to make.

The point is there are players out there, the 2 mentioned are not the only ones.
Do you follow the Serie A?

Cassidy

It wasn’t silly to me.
I believe at times when you watch a player. You can gauge their status within a club/team.
I believe when a player has not signed a renewal their club have been trying to get signed for months there is a chance the players head can be turned. No one said he is not valued at Napoli.

KikiDaKats

Supports
I believe when a player has not signed a renewal their club have been trying to get signed for months there is a chance the players head can be turned. No one said he is not valued at Napoli.
At least we both agree on him being valued at Napoli.
This is a quote from him earlier this season “There are a lot of transfer stories around me, but I’ve only been at Napoli for six months. I’ve avoided interviews, and one of the reasons is that the rumours about me disturb me.”

Status
Not open for further replies.