Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxquux

Ok but not really working for anyone long-term in terms of his particular merits/demerits, and ambitions vs place in the team. He's still 20% better than someone like Dier - could we maybe p/e him to Spurs for Kane (a move he might be somewhat more amenable to compared with WHU or return to Leicester, and somewhere more likely to match most of his current salary) for an 80m plus Maguire deal, which at current valuation probably still allows Levy to claim c.110m deal?

m1tch

If we need him then we're probably best using him in away games. As soon as he gets it the crowd is counting the seconds to start groaning and shouting. He's scared to play a quick pass for fear of the reaction if it doesn't work out, so he then holds on to it too long hoping for a safe pass and the volume gets cranked up.

He's not good enough, and has been the face of underperformance at the club, but the OT crowd makes it ten times harder for a player lacking confidence.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
If we need him then we're probably best using him in away games. As soon as he gets it the crowd is counting the seconds to start groaning and shouting. He's scared to play a quick pass for fear of the reaction if it doesn't work out, so he then holds on to it too long hoping for a safe pass and the volume gets cranked up.

He's not good enough, and has been the face of underperformance at the club, but the OT crowd makes it ten times harder for a player lacking confidence.
This is why I scarcely go to matches now. The players are a nervous wreck at home. We really need to start working on that side of our support.
Tbf this season has significantly improved in that aspect, till a player they don’t trust takes to the pitch.

Olecurls99

Ok but not really working for anyone long-term in terms of his particular merits/demerits, and ambitions vs place in the team. He's still 20% better than someone like Dier - could we maybe p/e him to Spurs for Kane (a move he might be somewhat more amenable to compared with WHU or return to Leicester, and somewhere more likely to match most of his current salary) for an 80m plus Maguire deal, which at current valuation probably still allows Levy to claim c.110m deal?
Not a bad idea

m1tch

This is why I scarcely go to matches now. The players are a nervous wreck at home. We really need to start working on that side of our support.
Tbf this season has significantly improved in that aspect, till a player they don’t trust takes to the pitch.
Yeah it's usually player specific and once that player has been chosen I don't think they ever get the support back again. It'd be far more productive to remain quiet instead of the quickly increasing barrage of shouting and groaning when they get on the ball. These are the same people that shout "shooooooot" when players are 40 yards out and it's the worst possible option to take, you'll not change them.

I remember Jonny Evans getting to the same point. I think the best option for the players when it gets like this is to find a new club, it's not always going to be the best outcome for our club though.

Sylar

Was a ridiculous booking for him to pick up at the time he did and position he did. It was so unnecessary but we see it so often.
He did the job overall as a stand in for Varane for this game (and we got through it in the end I guess)

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Not to do so much with his last performance, but more in general.

One of my biggest grievances with Maguire is the way he's always raising his arms and looking for excuses when he's made an obvious mistake that has or has not led to a goal. Of course I don't know exactly what is being said but his body language is pretty obvious.

For a supposed leader, I expect more from him. There's a lot of players in the squad who humbly raise their arm and apologize for their mistakes. Even Bruno does this and he seems to be one of the culprits when it comes to shifting blame (on the pitch during matches). And at least Bruno backs his talk up with (mostly) good performances and running himself to ground every single match.

simplyared

He needs a change of environment. Definately low on confidence. When he's on the pitch it affects our build up and movement. So lethargic and unsure on the ball. Not the same player as when we signed him. He must be sold in next window better for both parties!

Sylar

Watching highlights of the England game and Italy's goal. Maguire gives the ball away, then goes out and leaves his position, clobbers the guy then slowly gets back and only tries to run when the Italy player has a shot on goal. It was a catalogue of mistakes

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Watching highlights of the England game and Italy's goal. Maguire gives the ball away, then goes out and leaves his position, clobbers the guy then slowly gets back and only tries to run when the Italy player has a shot on goal. It was a catalogue of mistakes
Exactly. From one mistake to another. And all started with his famous "ball playing ability". Instead playing it simple, he keeps the ball and then makes a suicide pass through the middle (which often puts teammate in problems).

It is basic stuff for defenders; if you are out of position, don't pass the ball through the middle (unless it is 100% safe pass).

Mmm-Qatarian

Take that haters!

It’s a strange situation. So the question was simple: does he feel properly appreciated? “For England, yes, I do,” Maguire says. “Obviously, last season was difficult for the club, but, listen, I’ve proven myself to Gareth, who works with a wide range of centre backs. He has the choice of all the English centre backs in the country and I play, every time I’m available, I’ve been in the team.

“I’m sure if you ask the rest of the lads they know what I bring to the team. I’m 30 years old but I shouldn’t really need to prove myself at this level. I’ve over 50 caps. I’m England’s top-scoring defender.” Maguire has seven international goals, one more than Jack Charlton and John Terry.

This is the full quote. It's nowhere near as unreasonable as the simpletons who judge everything on headlines make out. He's essentially making the point that these constant question marks around him starting for England are unfounded since he's been consistently good for a consistently good England team for the best part of five years now, and he's right.

Maguire needs to be sold in the summer but it's so tiresome seeing arsehole fans who think they should have the right to spout whatever idiotic, abusive shite they want about him and then turn around and call him an arrogant cnut when he doesn't just accept it and prostrate himself in front of them.

Remember the geese

He's very defensive or incredibly arrogant. Perhaps both. Needs to look in the mirror everyday and tell himself how lucky he is. Not that he's the new Bobby Moore.

Stadjer

The Maguire special. Especially the part where he goes out, clobbers someone and is too slow to get back.

I dont get why he does that 'pro active defending'. With his speed and agility i would hesitant to even leave my own box. Same as his interview, he doesnt seem aware of his shortcomings or is too arrogant to admit them.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Complete liability. I can't believe how clueless he was when their winger was running towards the corner flag, going nowhere, and Maguire just uses two hands and pushes him in the back. From the resulting free kick Mitrovic almost scored a header to make it 2-0.

If Ten Hag doesn't rate Lindelof then I'd like to see him try Shaw and Martinez as a CB partnership when Varane is unavailable. Two left footed CBs can't be any worse than what we've seen from Maguire.
So do you make this post every time a player gives away a foul? If you look for the bad, you will find it

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
The Maguire special. Especially the part where he goes out, clobbers someone and is too slow to get back.

I dont get why he does that 'pro active defending'. With his speed and agility i would hesitant to even leave my own box. Same as his interview, he doesnt seem aware of his shortcomings or is too arrogant to admit them.
He is selflessly protecting his transfer value for the club what a legend.

Mmm-Qatarian

How dare he tell the truth
What's so funny to me is that there's only a select few players who are met with this frothing at the mouth reaction whenever they dare to suggest that they're not shite, and it's ALWAYS the same players who have to put up with the most vitriolic abuse online.

Frankly, if I had to deal with half of the shite Maguire does on practically a daily basis, I'd have gone insane by now. I don't blame the poor bastard for having a chip on his shoulder.

I imagine in a few years, when he's left United and is out of the spotlight, Maguire might come out and say that all of this has taken a toll on his mental health. Then, those who relentlessly abused him will either immediately change their tune and say how wrong it is that we subject people to such abuse for the crime of not being good enough at football for their liking, or probably some will come out and label him an arsehole for daring to suggest that their behaviour has negatively impacted him.

Many people respond to claims such as mine with something like "Oh, so we're not allowed to criticise him now are we?" It's ridiculous, however, to claim that the shite that gets thrown Maguire's way can be considered in any way to be "fair, reasonable, and measured". That's not to say that there aren't people capable of being reasonable in their criticisms; users on here such as @Lyng demonstrate that it is, in fact, possible to criticise Maguire's performances without turning into a raving lunatic. Unfortunately, there are so many others who are anything but reasonable.

Sviken

He's a bit of a cnut, isn't he? Every time he opens his mouth, he comes across as very delusional and arrogant.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Frankly, if I had to deal with half of the shite Maguire does on practically a daily basis, I'd have gone insane by now. I don't blame the poor bastard for having a chip on his shoulder.

I imagine in a few years, when he's left United and is out of the spotlight, Maguire might come out and say that all of this has taken a toll on his mental health. Then, those who relentlessly abused him will either immediately change their tune and say how wrong it is that we subject people to such abuse for the crime of not being good enough at football for their liking, or probably some will come out and label him an arsehole for daring to suggest that their behaviour has negatively impacted him.
Even more likely they will strengthen the stigma and call him weak etc. "If you can't take it, retire", "You get paid X amount per week, poor lad" and all that. Unfortunately I don't think the abuse will die down although it will probably decrease after his move away. There's plenty of England "fans" too who mock him during international breaks and tournaments.

Last edited:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

So do you make this post every time a player gives away a foul? If you look for the bad, you will find it
No, but if they're constantly making the same type of mistakes every game and not learning from them, then yes - I will mention it.

Also, I can't believe I have to spell this out to you: not every foul is the same. I obviously won't make this post when a player is prone to committing a tactical foul to prevent a dangerous attack. Whereas if they're prone to fouling someone who's not in a dangerous position, then that warrants criticism.

Tony247

One conceded goal could lose you points. With Harry on the pitch a massive brainfart moment is just waiting to happen that could lead to shot on goal. This is not sustainable.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If there was a Deluded FC, Maguire would captain that one as well but it'll be much, much more deserved

Valencia Shin Crosses

What's so funny to me is that there's only a select few players who are met with this frothing at the mouth reaction whenever they dare to suggest that they're not shite, and it's ALWAYS the same players who have to put up with the most vitriolic abuse online.

Many people respond to claims such as mine with something like "Oh, so we're not allowed to criticise him now are we?" It's ridiculous, however, to claim that the shite that gets thrown Maguire's way can be considered in any way to be "fair, reasonable, and measured". That's not to say that there aren't people capable of being reasonable in their criticisms; users on here such as @Lyng demonstrate that it is, in fact, possible to criticise Maguire's performances without turning into a raving lunatic. Unfortunately, there are so many others who are anything but reasonable.
He gets shit just like every other high profile player that plays like shit, yet you act like people are rioting outside his house and destroying his livelihood. feck off, he's been terrible for a bit now (even comically bad for that goal they conceded just the other day) yet lacks any sort of self awareness or humility and just seems to think he's world class because a few managers picked him. It makes him wholly unlikeable, you know what would get people on his side? Saying something like "Yeah I haven't been good in recent times, it's been deserved that other players play over me, but I'm constantly trying to improve and win back my spot." Instead he comes off like a complacent dickhead that thinks he's being hard done without ever actually accomplishing anything in his career besides being an overpriced defender that we stupidly paid 80m for and gifted him the armband.

That sort of complacent, "it's everyone else's fault" type shite is a perfect microcosm of why we've been a laughing stock for the past decade. Players with that attitude will never succeed at the top levels, and I'll be glad to see him fecked off back to a team where the aspirations are mid table.

NewUser777

If there was a Deluded FC, Maguire would captain that one as well but it'll be much, much more deserved
Sure. And you would be the owner.. There is criticism, and there is abuse from sad little people.

Rightnr

Sure. And you would be the owner.. There is criticism, and there is abuse from sad little people.
I am wounded to be insulted by someone with such a genius username. Almost as good as Maguire's defending.

NewUser777

I am wounded to be insulted by someone with such a genius username. Almost as good as Maguire's defending.
You don’t have it in you to be wounded. You compensate in life like you do online. And have nothing to show for. The way some of our fans have behaved against Maquire is embarrassing us.

Member 125398

You don’t have it in you to be wounded. You compensate in life like you do online. And have nothing to show for. The way some of our fans have behaved against Maquire is embarrassing us.
I agree. If anything he should be admired for how quiet he's been on his situation.

SteveCoppellFan

Maguire fits well with Southgate's approach to football.

ETH's style just shows him up as the defender he is.

RedCurry

I am going to defend Maguire here. None of us can begin to even imagine the constant abuse he receives from football fans, especially online. It is easy to just give up. The guy wouldn’t be able to get out of bed if he didn’t believe in himself. Nothing wrong with that. He conducts himself professionally at the club, and I can respect that.

Rightnr

Pressed fanboys such as yourself is one major reason I want this failure of a United player out of the club.

I had to deal with the likes of you regarding OGS and now we have the remnant of his failure who thinks he's made it because the idiot Southgate keeps picking him ahead of at least 5 better defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.