Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
What's so funny to me is that there's only a select few players who are met with this frothing at the mouth reaction whenever they dare to suggest that they're not shite, and it's ALWAYS the same players who have to put up with the most vitriolic abuse online.

Frankly, if I had to deal with half of the shite Maguire does on practically a daily basis, I'd have gone insane by now. I don't blame the poor bastard for having a chip on his shoulder.

I imagine in a few years, when he's left United and is out of the spotlight, Maguire might come out and say that all of this has taken a toll on his mental health. Then, those who relentlessly abused him will either immediately change their tune and say how wrong it is that we subject people to such abuse for the crime of not being good enough at football for their liking, or probably some will come out and label him an arsehole for daring to suggest that their behaviour has negatively impacted him.

Many people respond to claims such as mine with something like "Oh, so we're not allowed to criticise him now are we?" It's ridiculous, however, to claim that the shite that gets thrown Maguire's way can be considered in any way to be "fair, reasonable, and measured". That's not to say that there aren't people capable of being reasonable in their criticisms; users on here such as @Lyng demonstrate that it is, in fact, possible to criticise Maguire's performances without turning into a raving lunatic. Unfortunately, there are so many others who are anything but reasonable.
I all of my years as a United supporter, I have never seen a player with a bigger agenda against him than Maguire. Our fans abuse Maguire more than they abuse rival players and then they wonder why he plays nervously

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I hope many managers are picking up the "truth" he told. Win win for him and us.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No, but if they're constantly making the same type of mistakes every game and not learning from them, then yes - I will mention it.

Also, I can't believe I have to spell this out to you: not every foul is the same. I obviously won't make this post when a player is prone to committing a tactical foul to prevent a dangerous attack. Whereas if they're prone to fouling someone who's not in a dangerous position, then that warrants criticism.
He barely touched the guy and he took a dive. If that's Martinez then 99.999% of United supporters are yelling at the other guy to get up. But because it's Maguire and the agenda is so strong against him, anything he does (including stand up for himself) is met with boos by people who supposedly support the team he plays for

zenith

Maguire sounds so irritating in his interviews. Such sense of entitlement that even the best of the best don't have.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I all of my years as a United supporter, I have never seen a player with a bigger agenda against him than Maguire. Our fans abuse Maguire more than they abuse rival players and then they wonder why he plays nervously
Obviously the social media has put that abuse front for all of us to see, but I remember for example our own Fletcher & Giggs also receiving horrible abuse from our own fans. But you’re right, probably nothing close to the level Maguire constantly gets.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
It’s bordering on embarrassing the stalking of Maguire. He made no false statement there and people are can’t come to acceptance the numbers favour him.
He might not be better than Martinez and Varane but he is better than a lot of highly rated defenders in top level football. This trend at United of launching a campaign on a club representative has to cease.
We will get to sell him and bring in a replacement at some point but now is not the time to be turning on our players that are trusted by the manager to achieve his goals.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Love him. I hope he gets a good move soon. Away from all the pathetic abuse.

Wing Attack Plan R

Ok but not really working for anyone long-term in terms of his particular merits/demerits, and ambitions vs place in the team. He's still 20% better than someone like Dier - could we maybe p/e him to Spurs for Kane (a move he might be somewhat more amenable to compared with WHU or return to Leicester, and somewhere more likely to match most of his current salary) for an 80m plus Maguire deal, which at current valuation probably still allows Levy to claim c.110m deal?
I'd take Dier in a straight swap. I don't think Maguire is as good, let alone being "20% better". For the England set up, maybe Maguire over Dier, for club football, no chance.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I'd take Dier in a straight swap. I don't think Maguire is as good, let alone being "20% better". For the England set up, maybe Maguire over Dier, for club football, no chance.
He's called Dire for a reason and you'd swap for him!

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It’s bordering on embarrassing the stalking of Maguire. He made no false statement there and people are can’t come to acceptance the numbers favour him.
He might not be better than Martinez and Varane but he is better than a lot of highly rated defenders in top level football. This trend at United of launching a campaign on a club representative has to cease.
We will get to sell him and bring in a replacement at some point but now is not the time to be turning on our players that are trusted by the manager to achieve his goals.
It‘s absolutely pathetic and childish (from United fans).
Just the recent behaviour:
Maguire gets yellow for England and it’s a scandal, how typical he gets a yellow again, blah blah.
Shaw gets two yellows and gets sent off: great, now he gets a rest, well done, unlucky, blah blah.
If it was the other way round and Maguire would have been sent off you would have never heard the end of it.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He barely touched the guy and he took a dive. If that's Martinez then 99.999% of United supporters are yelling at the other guy to get up. But because it's Maguire and the agenda is so strong against him, anything he does (including stand up for himself) is met with boos by people who supposedly support the team he plays for
Aye, we constantly see Martinez give away needless fouls don't we. Like in the first half vs Fulham where Maguire bear hugs Mitrovic to the ground and gets a yellow card for it. The amount of times you see Martinez showing similar ineptitude is on par with Maguire. It just never gets spoken about because of the agenda against our club captain.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
It‘s absolutely pathetic and childish (from United fans).
Just the recent behaviour:
Maguire gets yellow for England and it’s a scandal, how typical he gets a yellow again, blah blah.
Shaw gets two yellows and gets sent off: great, now he gets a rest, well done, unlucky, blah blah.
If it was the other way round and Maguire would have been sent off you would have never heard the end of it.
This reminds me of when we had Blind and Smalling, the agenda was pathetic then as well. What we got as replacements were not worth it, considering those signings(inc Maguire) were quite highly rated on this forum.
Eventually fans will realise every player has their limitations and they can be exploited. His limitations were a non issue against Italy and he was one of the better players in that game but he is not Tomori.

Grib

Behave, there's no agenda against Maguire, he's simply never been good enough.

Even the OT crowd are losing patience, whats the angle here if you aren't his dad :houllier:

Roboc7

He does make some stupid and tone dead comments but he’s trying to cling on to his status, it’s only downhill for him now. It’s not his fault we made two terrible decisions in signing him and then making him Captain. He had no hope of ever living up to what people expected of him but I think he should have learnt by now to avoid these stupid things he says.

mu4c_20le

I dont trust aggregators, especially when they dont bother quoting the source.
I've seen fake accounts put a source too. He did say it though. He also said his England career would be a failure if he didn't win a trophy with them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've seen fake accounts put a source too. He did say it though. He also said his England career would be a failure if he didn't win a trophy with them.
This was on live TV or do you have a link?

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
He's not good enough for a top team, let alone to be awarded the captaincy.

The man is also responsible for some of the worst individual defensive performances and seemingly has no self awareness. Just constantly bigs himself up.

If he were at any other big club we'd all be taking the piss.

scottser

There's a serious lack of perspective going on here. He's was good for us in a counter attacking team when we defended in numbers. We now play a system which exposes his mobility and passing range which he appears to have accepted like a pro. He'll go in the summer, and I will wish our slab-headed, Barney-suited captain the farewell he genuinely deserves.

Reactions: Jippy

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I watched him closely at the Fulham game and by god he’s awful. He’s so slow with the ball at his feet and will never release it quick enough. Takes way too much time on the ball and when he does release it, it’s usually sideways. When he talks to highly of himself, I just have to laugh. He’s no where near the standard of CB that we need at this club and at this stage, having him as back up to Varane and Martinez makes no sense. High wages, and he cost us a lot of money. We desperately need to get rid of him in the summer. Not fit to wear the shirt.

Suedesi

Watching highlights of the England game and Italy's goal. Maguire gives the ball away, then goes out and leaves his position, clobbers the guy then slowly gets back and only tries to run when the Italy player has a shot on goal. It was a catalogue of mistakes
That's our Harry

Bondi77

He's not good enough for a top team, let alone to be awarded the captaincy.

The man is also responsible for some of the worst individual defensive performances and seemingly has no self awareness. Just constantly bigs himself up.

If he were at any other big club we'd all be taking the piss.
Sounds like any manager would have to be an idiot for picking him in any game.

marktan

With his passing ability I think he should convert to a midfielder. He's showed with penalties he has an excellent shot so can score. Scored a corner with his left foot in like 2 goes in one of those TV things.

He's slow so can't defend against pacey attackers, but in midfield he could be like Pirlo or Scholes. I think SAF spoke to early when he said Phil Jones is the next Duncan Edwards, I really think Maguire fits the mould. He's more talented than Phil Jones.

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

With his passing ability I think he should convert to a midfielder. He's showed with penalties he has an excellent shot so can score. Scored a corner with his left foot in like 2 goes in one of those TV things.

He's slow so can't defend against pacey attackers, but in midfield he could be like Pirlo or Scholes. I think SAF spoke to early when he said Phil Jones is the next Duncan Edwards, I really think Maguire fits the mould. He's more talented than Phil Jones.

I hope we give it a try. He could be a little bit of Casemiro with his tackles and a little bit of Eriksen with his passing for us.
Where’s the white text?

Wing Attack Plan R

Meth is one hell of a drug.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Nothing to prove after winning feck all his whole career. Great mentality captain slabhead

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Not a good look for him, as a captain and leader you should accept responsibility. Comes across as very insecure.

Last edited:

Sylar

I never get players who come out with 'ive got nothing to prove' after criticism. Just laugh it off or something. Its a weird mentality

Status
Not open for further replies.