g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Harry Maguire image 5

Harry Maguire England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

GMoore23

He's having a decent spell and has been our best CB this season. However, lets not forget we've been terrible this season and our playing style has gotten more negative. Sitting deeper has always suited Maguire but it's not the way we want to be playing as a big club.

lsd

The Oracle
Such a strange player was unlucky with the penalty, tried a cross field pass which went twenty yards over Wan Bisakka's head then took round a player and blasted a great shot of the crossbar from thirty yards

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes! But do you deem them as worthy replacements? Casemiro was outstanding a year ago but has failed to impress since the League cup final. Martinez might still recover his pre-injury form.
I think Martinez definitely was. If he’s somehow permanently diminished by his injury that’s a crying shame but wasn’t predictable and doesn’t make him any less of the great signing he looked like last season.

Casemiro’s a tricky one. I think he was definitely a good short term signing. Probably our most influential player in the good bits of last season that ended up with us securing CL football. Which, in turn, would have made us a more attractive option for a better, longer term midfield signing. That obviously didn’t happen and I’m not sure who to blame about that.

Man Utd 1:0 Luton Town

redom

Thought he was good today, passed it out of the back better than his counterparts and defended on the front foot, even stepping out of defence once or twice to carry us forward.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Remember how Martinez would take one touch out of his feet and fizz the ball straight into midfield? Watching Maguire take 6 or 7 touches before losing possession or passing it sideways makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Remember how Martinez would take one touch out of his feet and fizz the ball straight into midfield? Watching Maguire take 6 or 7 touches before losing possession or passing it sideways makes me want to gouge my eyes out.
???

That didn't happen today at all!? His passing was great.

Also the lack of movement in front of him doesn't help him at all.

FerociousCorgis

He's having a decent spell and has been our best CB this season. However, lets not forget we've been terrible this season and our playing style has gotten more negative. Sitting deeper has always suited Maguire but it's not the way we want to be playing as a big club.
Think this is the truth, but people Def will be going overboard with how he is playing. Defensively he's been strong but our style is Def not there and with him on the ball things are just so fecking slow. Still at least he is staying fit and defensively is doing his job

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Maguire was very important to us as we defended the lead. Stepped out very well several times and won a bunch of aerials. He will never have the passing ability of Licha Martinez. But for now, nobody else at the club is justifying starts as much as he is. I never thought I'd say that!

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

???

That didn't happen today at all!? His passing was great.

Also the lack of movement in front of him doesn't help him at all.
Saw it a lot in the first half. Literally happened right in front of where I was sat. There were a few groans from people around me every time he passed it sideways to Lindelof or Dalot after dithering on the ball. The ball went to a Luton player on more than one occasion as well.

I agree Mctominay doing his usual hiding never helps but Martinez found a way to pass the ball into midfield (without taking 6 or 7 pointless touches beforehand).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Saw it a lot in the first half. Literally happened right in front of where I was sat. There were a few groans from people around me every time he passed it sideways to Lindelof or Dalot after dithering on the ball. The ball went to a Luton player on more than one occasion as well.

I agree Mctominay doing his usual hiding never helps but Martinez found a way to pass the ball into midfield (without taking 6 or 7 pointless touches beforehand).
90% passing accuracy, which meant about 6 were misplaced.

He also played over 3 times more long passes then any of our other players... Some of which were absolute top quality.

Ludens the Red

He was very good today. Used the ball well and constantly showed for the ball and ran into space. Albeit against the worse opponent we’ll have all season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It feels like he has got to have a fill a quota mission of touches on the ball because he is slow in releasing the ball. Takes 5-6 touches for a simple pass he could release much quicker.
However his defending was good as well his long passing

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

It feels like he has got to have a fill a quota of touches on the ball because he is slow in releasing the ball. Takes 5-6 touches for a simple pass he could release much quicker.
This. All the extra touches achieve nothing other than allowing the opposition to get into shape.

Bobski

Would think he is carrying an injury, a few times when he switched the ball to the left flank he looked very uncomfortable afterwards.

RedIan

His stand out contribution to me are his accurate passes pinging forward and out to the wide players.
Its an under appreciated part to his game. Decent game all round.

Amarsdd

His stand out contribution to me are his accurate passes pinging forward and out to the wide players.
Its an under appreciated part to his game. Decent game all round.
Yeah, most of our attacks in the first half basically came from those.

Shark

@NotShark
He's been a consistent 6 /7 since he's been integrated back in the side.
Yeah, I'd agree. He's more so doing just about enough to remain in the side, rather than being outstanding or anything close. The bar has been set really low.

Jam

It feels like he has got to have a fill a quota mission of touches on the ball because he is slow in releasing the ball. Takes 5-6 touches for a simple pass he could release much quicker.
However his defending was good as well his long passing
Agreed.

Fair play to Maguire this season he’s been decent-to-good, surprising me and many others.

But there’s still issues with his game which just won’t change at this point. Not a long term solution, but he’s filled in and done a good job against a bad back drop in the club and personally.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
90% passing accuracy, which meant about 6 were misplaced.

He also played over 3 times more long passes then any of our other players... Some of which were absolute top quality.
There’s a very clear pattern to free either Reguilon or Garnacho/Rashford/Bruno on the left hand side for Maguire to do his diagonal that he is exceptional at. If that pass isn’t on then going sideways or taking touches so that we can work the space on the left via off-the-ball movement so that pass is then on is exactly what he should be doing. That’s “dallying” on the ball though. The same tactical masterminds will be the ones moaning about there being no patterns in the ETH thread.

Lyng

Another really good game from Harry. Was worried how he would link up with Linde but they worked really well together. Probably some of the best we have seen from them as a pair.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Looked full of confidence today, some great long passes as well. Looks a different player.

PoTMS

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say he's been our best player this season. Christ.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Very impressed by him today. Don't know who got man of the match but he must have been in the top 3?

Bondi77

How? I'm not saying he wasn't solid at clearing his lines today but, as an earlier poster alluded to, if we want to be a frontfoot team who play out from the back with a high defensive line, we need CBs of a higher calibre than him.
Going by that I would imagine you are not a fan of Varane then?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
He deserves a lot of credit for bouncing back from all the crap he's gotten. I thought he was terrible and finished at a top level. His current play has proven a lot of doubters wrong.

Oranges038

Was good today. Still too slow for my liking.
Tends to hold onto the ball for a fraction too long and under hits passes behind people.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Was good today. Still too slow for my liking.
Tends to hold onto the ball for a fraction too long and under hits passes behind people.
He has those passes in his lockerz but I didn't see any today. He really shifted play today as Luton sat so deep and our central midfield was nonexistent.

Bondi77

He has those passes in his lockerz but I didn't see any today. He really shifted play today as Luton sat so deep and our central midfield was nonexistent.
His passing was excellent today and if he is receiving criticism for it then we all know what is going on here.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
He deserves a lot of credit for bouncing back from all the crap he's gotten. I thought he was terrible and finished at a top level. His current play has proven a lot of doubters wrong.
Deserves so much credit for the fortitude he's shown in coming back from being a bag of nerves wreck and being a consistently good performer now.