View full 2023-24 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Kostov

How? I'm not saying he wasn't solid at clearing his lines today but, as an earlier poster alluded to, if we want to be a frontfoot team who play out from the back with a high defensive line, we need CBs of a higher calibre than him.
Let’s first take a look at our attack and midfield you footballing genius.

Oranges038

He has those passes in his lockerz but I didn't see any today. He really shifted play today as Luton sat so deep and our central midfield was nonexistent.
He killed a couple of attacks with bad passes, there was definitely one that he hit well behind Reguilon that stopped good counter opportunity.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Going by that I would imagine you are not a fan of Varane then?
Varane's passing ability isn't the best, no. But at least he doesn't take several pointless touches of the ball before releasing it. Ideally both of them are sold and replaced by next season.
Let’s first take a look at our attack and midfield you footballing genius.
Our midfield and attack has issues too, but does that mean you're not allowed to state a frustrating aspect of your CBs game?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought he had a good game. Some lovely passes pinged out to our left wing and solid defensively. Even his textbook charge out pass the half way and clatter some poor bastard with a clumsy/late challenge moment was the right decision at the time (which was injury time). Wasting time and stopping a promising attack. The redemption continues…

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There’s a very clear pattern to free either Reguilon or Garnacho/Rashford/Bruno on the left hand side for Maguire to do his diagonal that he is exceptional at. If that pass isn’t on then going sideways or taking touches so that we can work the space on the left via off-the-ball movement so that pass is then on is exactly what he should be doing. That’s “dallying” on the ball though. The same tactical masterminds will be the ones moaning about there being no patterns in the ETH thread.
:lol: Funny cos it’s true…

Danny

Playing well lately. No pressure of the armband may have helped?

Hughes35

MOTM for me today to be honest. Pretty low bar but thought he was very good.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

About as good as your analysis.

He was my MotM today. Which I know may be slim pickings and the bar is set pretty low, but he was.
Very slim pickings indeed. Credit to him for clearing his lines when needed and doing some decent long balls to the wing. But my overriding feeling was one of frustration that our slow progression of the ball in the middle of the pitch (from CBs to CMs) allowed Luton to hold their shape for large parts of the game. We all know Maguire isn't Martinez or Shaw on the ball, so we have to accept his limitations, but surely he's capable of progressing the ball quicker? All those needless extra touches do my head in.

Rossa

Playing well enough. However, his passing is as slow as his running. Moreoso because it is always aimed behind the receiving player so all momentum stops. It is impossible building from the back with this guy. His long range passing is accurate, but so lofty that defenders can go out for a dump and still get back into position.

Baxquux

Long diagonal pass good, short pass meh (he slowed down a few moves by sideways passing after driving forward, or even passing a few yards back for no real reason). Also, whilst I like his presence in the box in principle, his attacking headers are erratic and with that turn of pace there's always a risk, more than a quicker defender, when he commits himself forward. Probably fine against Luton, whilst we still have him around, but definitely an area where we need to upgrade squad profiles in terms of more 'complete', young defenders..

Bondi77

Very slim pickings indeed. Credit to him for clearing his lines when needed and doing some decent long balls to the wing. But my overriding feeling was one of frustration that our slow progression of the ball in the middle of the pitch (from CBs to CMs) allowed Luton to hold their shape for large parts of the game. We all know Maguire isn't Martinez or Shaw on the ball, so we have to accept his limitations, but surely he's capable of progressing the ball quicker? All those needless extra touches do my head in.
Lots of things in the game did my head in as well but funny enough what Harry was doing was a minor one.
If we are slow to move the ball around then I would really be looking at other aspects of the team to criticise other then a central defender but I am looking forward to seeing Licha back to see if he brings the speed of play to our team while also offering the stability at the back that Harry is displaying at the moment.

RuudTom83

Maguire has played himself into a bit of form and he is no worse than any other cb* at the club.

Credit to Maguire his selection is now not even a story.

*Licha is injured so doesn’t count.

city-puma

The funny thing is that the way he played with and without ball just like real captain. Without that official title, it definitely mutes a lot of noises. Good for him I think.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Lots of things in the game did my head in as well but funny enough what Harry was doing was a minor one.
If we are slow to move the ball around then I would really be looking at other aspects of the team to criticise other then a central defender but I am looking forward to seeing Licha back to see if he brings the speed of play to our team while also offering the stability at the back that Harry is displaying at the moment.
Martinez was part of a defence that got more clean sheets than any other PL team last season. His defensive stability isn't in doubt, nor is his ability to quickly progress the ball into midfield.

In an ideal world, a Saudi club come in for Varane in January and we use that money to sign another ball playing CB to play next to Martinez.

Bondi77

Martinez was part of a defence that got more clean sheets than any other PL team last season. His defensive stability isn't in doubt, nor is his ability to quickly progress the ball into midfield.

In an ideal world, a Saudi club come in for Varane in January and we use that money to sign another ball playing CB to play next to Martinez.
He was part of a defence so we can also say then that there is no doubt about the defensive qualities of AWB, Dalot, Varane and Luke either and let us not forget the world class ability of the man we had between the sticks.

Donut

Remember how Martinez would take one touch out of his feet and fizz the ball straight into midfield? Watching Maguire take 6 or 7 touches before losing possession or passing it sideways makes me want to gouge my eyes out.
Rarely. He also has a habit of just standing in one spot with the ball for a long time.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's really shown amazing constitution this season and that can only be lauded. I wonder if losing the armband alleviated pressure for him or if he'd be performing the same way regardless.

What has impressed immensely has been the way he stuck to his guns, refused to move and earned his place in the team.

Not going to wax lyrical because there are much bigger games and opponents to measure genuine progress from - Maguire's challenge now is to make himself a permanent fixture in the side the manager doesn't relegate to the bench or still want to move on come the summer window, but so far, and with a redemption arc in mind, Maguire is making a strong case for himself and that was unfathomable 3months ago.

abailey123

He’s been rock solid. I was at the game yesterday and he was getting so much praise from those around me. He plays a one-two with a midfielder in the first half and ends up putting a cross in- driving us forward.
We know what his limitations are but he’s being picked on merit. The problem with the ‘dawdling on the ball’ is that we never have one of our midfield 3 showing for a pass meaning the centre halves have to play it between themselves until a pass is on

M Bison

Supports
York City
Been brilliant which is even more impressive given the scrutiny and media noise he’s had to deal with.

Also keen to see Martinez back, he started the season poorly so not sure about the comments about him being our best CB (granted he may have been carrying an injury).

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He’s been rock solid. I was at the game yesterday and he was getting so much praise from those around me. He plays a one-two with a midfielder in the first half and ends up putting a cross in- driving us forward.
We know what his limitations are but he’s being picked on merit. The problem with the ‘dawdling on the ball’ is that we never have one of our midfield 3 showing for a pass meaning the centre halves have to play it between themselves until a pass is on
The weight of the pass to Rashford for Hojlunds big chance was also very good. Instrumental to (probably) our biggest chance of the game.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Hopefully he carries on the good form without any mistakes. That will keep teams interested in him and then we can finally sell him in the summer. I think Ratcliffe is gonna be ruthless with getting rid of players. Fair play to Maguire though, he’s ignored all the noise, got back in the starting 11 and is getting his confidence back. The worse thing about his playing style is when he gets up tight to attackers and then they turn him or when he strides forwards only to make a sideways or backwards pass. He needs to make some progressive passes into midfield.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Been brilliant which is even more impressive given the scrutiny and media noise he’s had to deal with.

Also keen to see Martinez back, he started the season poorly so not sure about the comments about him being our best CB (granted he may have been carrying an injury).
He was our best CB last season by a mile. When you get an injury though it knocks you for confidence and may take a while until he becomes his best again.

RonaldoVII

Man of the Match for me too today. You can see why ETH prefers him at RCB as the cross-field diagonal balls to our LW are a good way to open teams up, especially when Luton seemed naive to that play today compared to recent opposition who always seemed aware of that option.

Von Mistelroum

He was fine in parts yesterday, did some actual progression up the pitch and decent passes at times.

He also took some really pointless touches, slowly jogging forwards with 10 touches like a Dad in the park on a Sunday. It felt a bit like everyone else was just hanging around waiting for that to be over so the game could continue. It does slow us down a lot, but so does the sideways passing of our midfield and the backwards passing of the wingers usually.

Ludens the Red

Correct. Hugely noticeable when Eriksen went off. We all know Bruno and mount prefer receiving the ball higher up the pitch. Mctominay just never likes receiving the ball period.

USREDEVIL

We finally found out how to unlock Magguirey. Sit him on the bench for several weeks and strip him of the captaincy. Bit extreme but we do what we gotta do.

Yagami

Good post resistant
With everyone at their best, it's either him or Martinez who's our best CB. Varane is nowhere near him.

The problem is, if he makes just one mistake in a game (especially an away one), the fans (both ours and the opposition) will take their chance to get on his back and he'll crumble.

That's the one advantage Varane has. His mistakes - of which there are plenty - are forgotten quickly so he doesn't have that pressure of everyone in the stadium being on his back.

Bondi77

We finally found out how to unlock Magguirey. Sit him on the bench for several weeks and strip him of the captaincy. Bit extreme but we do what we gotta do.
Probably should try the same tactic with Bruno and it might get him scoring again

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Probably should try the same tactic with Bruno and it might get him scoring again
Bruno's main job is creating chances. KdB in all conquering team, only got 10 goals in all competitions last season. Highest Iniesta has ever scored in a season with Barcelona (16 seasons) is 9 goals. Highest Modric has ever scored with Madrid (in 12 seasons) is 6 goals.

Everyone else has to be injured or turn to shit for him to shine.

He hasn't changed as a player. Our hopeless midfield has just meant a defender who likes to sit back gets plenty of opportunities to stand out, and nobody else can stay fit.

No doubt he'll be offered a fat new deal soon.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

He hasn't changed as a player. Our hopeless midfield has just meant a defender who likes to sit back gets plenty of opportunities to stand out, and nobody else can stay fit.

Such a nonsensical argument for posters that can't accept they were wrong about him.

Also, we're playing a higher line than last season so the second part makes no sense either.

TheReligion

Abusive

What a stupid post