g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Harry Maguire image 5

Harry Maguire England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Based Adnan

Better that than completely slaughtering the guy.
It is better but it's a result of him being overly criticized that he's now being overly praised. We saw it with Sterling as well when he was criticized for everything like buying his Mum a house then all of a sudden he became the golden boy that could do no wrong. Extremes either way are just as bad as given time they bring on the opposite reaction. If he wasn't overly criticized initially we wouldn't be seeing what we're seeing now.

You have people saying he's been our best player this season, how he's vindicated in his decision to stay and we're lucky we kept him based on 4 games vs some of the worst teams in the league (Brentford, Sheff Utd, Fulham, Luton). We didn't look defensively sound in those games and in the middle of that run got pumped 3-0 by City in which he played.

We've also stopped trying to build up from the back or play any resemblence of modern football since he came in. It suits him but we had to switch up how we play in a negative way to accomodate him.

He's come in, did a job and has shown to be mentally resillient. To say he's back, we're lucky to have him or he's one of our best players though is over the top. Like I said, it's been 4 games vs the worst teams in the league.

USREDEVIL

It is better but it's a result of him being overly criticized that he's now being overly praised. We saw it with Sterling as well when he was criticized for everything like buying his Mum a house then all of a sudden he became the golden boy that could do no wrong. Extremes either way are just as bad as given time they bring on the opposite reaction. If he wasn't overly criticized initially we wouldn't be seeing what we're seeing now.

You have people saying he's been our best player this season, how he's vindicated in his decision to stay and we're lucky we kept him based on 4 games vs some of the worst teams in the league (Brentford, Sheff Utd, Fulham, Luton). We didn't look defensively sound in those games and in the middle of that run got pumped 3-0 by City in which he played.

We've also stopped trying to build up from the back or play any resemblence of modern football since he came in. It suits him but we had to switch up how we play in a negative way to accomodate him.

He's come in, did a job and has shown to be mentally resillient. To say he's back, we're lucky to have him or he's one of our best players though is over the top. Like I said, it's been 4 games vs the worst teams in the league.
He's been alright when we needed him to cover for Martinez. That's it.

Stadjer

Did his nationality contribute to all the bile and hate that he had to endure?
Ofcourse it did. English players usually get overhyped and their transferfees dont reflect their ability on the pitch when compared to non English players. The only reason Harry Maguire became the most expensive defender of all time is his nationality. Being the most expensive of all time while playing like a meme made him an easy target.

USREDEVIL

Ofcourse it did. English players usually get overhyped and their transferfees dont reflect their ability on the pitch when compared to non English players. The only reason Harry Maguire became the most expensive defender of all time is his nationality. Being the most expensive of all time while playing like a meme made him an easy target.
Let's face it he didnt do himself any favors. Was playing shit previously and then comes out "i've got nothing to prove to you lot!" type shit like he was Messi or something.

neon_badger

Based on this seasons performances it's clear he has pros and cons, perhaps more pros than many gave him credit for, but unfortunately his price tag/wages don't allow for the cons. He's a useful player when deployed against the right opposition and has a good chance of becoming better if paired up with the right person, still think its best all round for him to move on, I'd be happy to see him succeed.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

That's not true, firstly losing Martinez is huge.for our build up. Secondly I'd argue his passing befween lines and switching is one of the reasons he's currently ahead of Varane.

Bondi77

When you look at a recent comparison of say Antony vs Bellingham that does not really stack up does it.
It is pretty obvious that if an English player is playing really well in a mid table Premier league club and they are a good age then it is going to cost a lot of money for a bigger club to get that player.
How many on here were creaming their pants when we bought Casemiro for huge money and then put him on a 5yr contract at his age and while he started off well he now looks like he is treading sand and seems incapable of playing in the position he was brought into play in as he gives the ball away in crucial positons and has a flawed tackling technique.....but he can score a goal.
While a tad more expensive Rice would have been a better bet for us in the short and long term.

OrcaFat

Let's face it he didnt do himself any favors. Was playing shit previously and then comes out "i've got nothing to prove to you lot!" type shit like he was Messi or something.
He probably didn’t expect anyone to still be bleating on about that throwaway comment years later. I’m certain he didn’t think he was Messi. All’s well that ends well, eh? He may outlast us all.

edgecutter

You would swear this guy has been so good we're now top of the table, in the next round of the league Cup and qualified from our champions league group.

He's been OK, nothing special, and if West Ham offer 30 million again we would be incredibly stupid not to snap their hands off.

redzombie

He's been OK, nothing special, and if West Ham offer 30 million again we would be incredibly stupid not to snap their hands off.
we rejected £30m when he was playing poorly, with the form he's in why would we accept anywhere close to that now?

Last edited:

Frank Grimes

Small time the way he always speaks himself up on twitter. I hated the pile on of Maguire as I thought some some of went too far but for fecks sake show a bit of humility, you played a few decent games you're not Nesta all of a sudden. Thick.

Manutd GOGOGO

The fact that he doesn't get injured already makes him worth more than $80 million in our injury prone defenders in a jam-packed league.

OverratedOpinion

You would swear this guy has been so good we're now top of the table, in the next round of the league Cup and qualified from our champions league group.

That isn't actually true though. I was totally open to slating him and not selling him made my blood boil but he has had a legitimately very good season.

I would still sell him for a good fee if we had a sensible player in mind to move forward with but "fine" is unfair based on his general level of performance this season. Potentially been our best player.

USREDEVIL

He probably didn’t expect anyone to still be bleating on about that throwaway comment years later. I’m certain he didn’t think he was Messi. All’s well that ends well, eh? He may outlast us all.
I was being a bit hyperbolic. But he needs to be more humble.

Son

we rejected £30m when he was playing poorly, with the form he's in why would we accept anywhere close to that now?
I don’t get why we would rush out and sell one of the better players in the squad right now. There are a big list of players I would sell before Maguire as it stands.

Players we can get a fair bit more cash for also in the short term. He’s earned at least until the end of the season.

McTomminay especially I’m not a big fan of but truth be told I would still hold onto both Maguire and Scott than Casemiro and Varane as it stands.

The Madrid legends look like they’re just not up for the fight sadly this season. On giant wages and we can get a fair bit of cash for those combined. Bring in some younger talents and have Scott and Harry here for squad depth. I don’t mind that.

RopersReturn

Spot on.

OrcaFat

I was being a bit hyperbolic. But he needs to be more humble.
Yeah I know what you mean but it just doesn’t other me. He’s a bit thick and comes out with stuff you expect a thick person to say.

He needs to play better; what else really matters?

jesperjaap

He has never been a world class defender...yet we paid that fee for him. He is also never a crap defender, though played like one for a large chunk of his career here.

But another bit of typical foorball fans views changing like the wind. He isnt "back" or great and deserving to stay and start based on what 4/5games?

Personally think he and both clubs made a mistake with the collapse of West Ham transfer. I think they were one of several good clbs in the premiership he cold have moved to and been a big success at, helping his England career, as he is a good defender....but he isnt a United defender, let alone captain.

Well done to him for coming in, being single minded and resilient and putting in a string of decent performances, one of which was top tier.....but it will take a lot longer than that for me to believe in him or back him, just like the majority of the defenders at our club, the majority of which are not good enough bt have got lots of praise despite being rbbish for several seasons after 3 good games in a row

Stadjer

Maybe he could have done better when Mainoo had to make a goal line clearance but other than that moment he had another solid game. Varane isnt on the bench just because off a supposed ''falling out''. Maguire doesnt deserve to just be taken out.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very good run of games from him, him and Lindelof did well as a pair.

Superunknown

I've done a complete 540 on Maguire. He's just getting on with it and doing well. Well done.

mavradal

That was just an ok performance, almost cost us a goal in the first half if Mainoo hadn't intervened.

RuudTom83

If you forget what name is on the back of the shirt or what's on the CV...Harry is the best of the bunch currently.