g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Harry Maguire image 5

Harry Maguire England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Bondi77

Are they really haters if they only criticize him when he's playing badly? Don't get me wrong, there are extreme examples but those haters that criticize a footballer only when he's doing badly probably aren't haters at all.

This thread shows that when he's performing well like tonight people are happy to praise him.
The ones I refer to take it past what is fair criticism and with all due respect I think it is fairly obvious.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just highlighted his passing on MOTD, it was really good.

ETH is right when he says he's much more suited to being RCB

Tap

Good on Maguire. Hope he carries on this uptrend.

Wonder if the armband is cursed at this club. Seems like whoever wears it ends up underperforming on a regular basis.

Castia

Fair play to him he’s done really well lately. He’s stepped up and needs massive plaudits for that.

He battled on yesterday after the head injury and was one of our better players.

Hope he can continue he looks to have some confidence back

Conor

Another good game, I really don't understand the 'I told you so' stuff though, it's never been in question that he's a good defender when you play to his strengths, I still don't want to see him on the pitch after January.

Levenstein

I'll be honest, I never thought he will be good again for ManUtd. He really has a lot of confidence and I have confidence when I watch him playing.

Super happy about that. He definitely proved me wrong, cause I thought he just takes the easy way out.

And I don't think it's a momentary good spell either - First choice CB at the moment for me.

Hopefully Varane will be fully fit and can partner him. If Martinez is back it will be interesting to see. Props to Jonny Evans as well - haven't done anything wrong. Good times when you need to choose.

Andersons Dietician

I thought he did well on Saturday especially if he was seeing stars as well. Weird that Maguire, McT and probably Bissaka were the only kind of semi decent performances. Oh and Garnacho

Meep

Hes not better. He is as bad. We as a team play more defensive which gives him better coverage and he can go back to pulling shirts. No future here it we want to progress.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Hes not better. He is as bad. We as a team play more defensive which gives him better coverage and he can go back to pulling shirts. No future here it we want to progress.
Of course he's better, he's not actively costing us goals for a start, and his passing has been much improved.

Nobody is disputing he's not good enough long term but he's doing a good job for the here and now and our current situation.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I just respect how he's quieting the narrative around him, United could use some of that. Not much has changed but folks are talking less about him.

troylocker

So nice to see him play with a bit of confidence again. One of very few with a good performance in the weekend.
I'd also like to give him praise for his goalscoring celebration a couple of weeks ago when he pointed at the clubemblem rather than hushing the crowd. #Biggermanmoment.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
80 million fifth choice CB. Not bad to have in the back pocket.

He deserves credit and has really helped during this injury crisis. Sancho should learn that there is a way back through working hard.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He's just a poor defender. Zero composure and understanding of the game. Did well to earn a penalty at the other end though.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Don't understand where he's supposed to put his hands when the attacker shoots it 2 cm away from him

A-man

He payed a price for trying to grab anything and anyone in penalty box. I don't know any defender who is playing defence like it is done in handball.
It felt like bad luck but your description is probably more accurate.
He did good things mixed with bad things but at least he was one of those who tried all the way to the final whistle.

MattofManchester

His passing drives me insane. It's always slow and trawling along the ground. There are so many times where there's an option to pass into a space for Garnacho to drive forward, and instead he passes it behind him, then we restart moving the ball along the defensive line and repeat.

We really miss Martinez here.

Alemar

Not the best of performances, but he was by far not the worst on the pitch and the best of our defensive line at least

KeanoMagicHat

He's done okay since he came back into the team but ultimately he's not good enough and his style doesn't suit - not fast enough for a high line and too ponderous on the ball for good build-up.

Ten Hag realised him and McTominay weren't good enough last year, yet the fact they're back in the team and he's relying on them shows what's wrong with the club.

Based Adnan

Never seen a player get hyped up as much as he did on the back of 2 good games. Back to his normal level.

Irwin99

Didn't think he played badly at all tonight to be honest. Penalty was ridiculously harsh (for both pens actually, i just don't like these handball rules).

AshRK

He has been supposedly our best defender. No wonder we are conceding so much goals. Not his fault but still don't think he is at a level where we can go to next level.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
His passing drives me insane. It's always slow and trawling along the ground. There are so many times where there's an option to pass into a space for Garnacho to drive forward, and instead he passes it behind him, then we restart moving the ball along the defensive line and repeat.

We really miss Martinez here.
Agree with all of this. Harry has been better lately but he's not class. He should be much better with the ball at his feet, especially under pressure. Copenhagen didn't even press that hard. It wasn't a full gegenpeess. However, his old hesitancy showed itself.

AshRK

Ideally we should sell him as well and get class defender who brings some calmness but he has been the least shit of the lot so he stays by default.

Devil77

Ten Hag realised him and McTominay weren't good enough last year, yet the fact they're back in the team and he's relying on them shows what's wrong with the club.
Yes, that the players brought in by the very same manager to replace them are even worse and cost the club a fortune.

FerociousCorgis

i know it isnt all on him, and overall he does seem to be playing better per se...but it is super interesting that even during this supposed good stretch from maguire we have allowed 10 goals in our last 4 games haha. Still hilarious with the penalty decisions yesterday but damn what a hit from maguire. Imagine had that gone in with ref calling that bullshit "foul" right as he hit it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
To be fair Maguire's performances over the last month or so have been much better than how he played last season (and even further ahead of how incredibly bad he was the season before), so that's not really a fair comparison. Obviously it's only been a short period though so we'll see whether he drops back off again soon.

McTominay not so much as he's pretty much just doing the same as he always does. Perhaps with a bit more of a goal threat though.