View full 2023-24 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Crashoutcassius

The best thing about Maguire last night was his timing. There were a few moments where Chelsea were on the counter and he either stepped out, or threw his body in the way to cut out a pass, that killed them. I won't pretend I have a tonne of faith in him but I will stick on the bandwagon until it comes to a stop.
That was what he was exceptional at at Leicester, reading the game like that.

VictoriaRed

Fair play to Harry. He’s a professional. That being said, still quite happy to sell him on in the Summer.

Belisarius

I don't think I joined the pile-on Harry the last couple of seasons. But, I was definitely hoping we could sell him for a decent fee this past summer.

Now, I have to say, I think he's a living example of the saying "whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger."

He's survived a terrible spell of form that lasted a couple of seasons, a media, social media and in some cases fan pile-on for the ages. But, he seems to have come out the other side a better player and a better character. He's showing leadership skills that didn't seem to be evident when he was club captain. He's attacking the ball rather than sitting back passively. He's pushing up when we need a goal late in games. And (knock on wood) he seems to have got rid of the howlers that plagued him and us for so long (I suspect that Onana replacing De Gea has helped with that).

When he first replaced Varane as our right sided starter I thought it would only be until Martinez returned and then the pairing of Martinez / Varane would start most games again. I'm not so sure now if he won't keep his job even after Martinez is healthy.

Either way I'm happy for Harry. His story this season has a sort of "movie of the week" quality about it with the hero experiencing many set-backs over a long period, but persevering and finally experiencing his moment in the sun. Just needs a boring romance added on and you would be pretty much guaranteed mediocre ratings.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Some genuinely stupendously good receipts on Maguire from many here. I’m just glad we were the beneficiaries of the inevitable comeback. Not all answers lie in the transfer market.

Mercurial

Good job Maguire! Been very good for us, and showed that perseverance is above all. He is silencing all his doubters by playing good ball.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
To think how so many on here were fuming in the summer that he wouldn't take a massive pay cut and leave for a smaller club. All saying that it's what they would do.

I did argue with them that the mentality we want is for him to fight for his place at his dream club. Thankfully that's what he did.

Ollie Derbyshire

He’s playing decent, nothing mind blowing though, if he’s partnered with Martinez when he’s back they will be too slow which will cause us issues. I’m happy he’s improved his form but I’d still sell him and replace with a healthy fast CB.

Leftback99

He’s playing decent, nothing mind blowing though, if he’s partnered with Martinez when he’s back they will be too slow which will cause us issues. I’m happy he’s improved his form but I’d still sell him and replace with a healthy fast CB.
And keep Lindelof and Varane?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Depressing reading seeing him worm his way back into the team. Hopefully this raises his market value back to a decent level as we really shouldn't be having him anywhere near the team next season.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Arry Maguire
We bought him off Leicester City
He’s on fire
Oh give him a break referee
Oh Arry Maguire

Harry Maguire
We won’t let him go on a free
Red desire is
Always to be in the champions league
With Harry Maguire

Arry Maguire
His head like a block from a tree
He’s a trier
He plays for United
Harry Maguire

Sorry Denny Lane
(Inspired by the punk version of MoK)

vanrooney

really glad for him. and to be honest a i had given up hope on him although i thought he was top when he joined

OverratedOpinion

Some genuinely stupendously good receipts on Maguire from many here. I’m just glad we were the beneficiaries of the inevitable comeback. Not all answers lie in the transfer market.
Receipts? He played genuinely horrendously and was a total liability and people said that and didn't want him to play for us.

He is now playing very well and most people are saying that.

Marwood

I think any chances we gave up Vs Chelsea were cos we slacked off the press
That's always going to happen though. The press can't always be perfect or simply the opposition are good enough to beat it.

You need that backup and pace at the back is the simplest way.

Credit to him for coming back from the criticism and hopefully West Ham still want him in the summer.

Leftback99

Ideally sell Maguire and Lindelof as I don’t think they are good enough and yes sell Varane but only because of his constant niggly injuries and get in some new more athletic defenders.
We aren't going to sell 3 CBs in the summer. The other 2 clearly need to go.

Camilo

I don't understand why people want to sell him... He's a good 7/10 defender who seems to always be fit. That's hard to find. Try to bring in an upgrade sure, but don't sell the only competent CB at the club. Varane is proof that the grass is rarely greener.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Receipts? He played genuinely horrendously and was a total liability and people said that and didn't want him to play for us.

He is now playing very well and most people are saying that.
Almost as if rather than wasting time and money in the transfer market with no guarantee of upside, we should get our existing players back to their best.

OverratedOpinion

Almost as if rather than wasting time and money in the transfer market with no guarantee of upside, we should get our existing players back to their best.
Yes if all our players could suddenly play at their best and every player we have brought is at the level required that's brilliant.

What point are you actually trying to make about "reciepts"?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Crazy to imagine him winning this award a few months/years even ago

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well done and well deserved. I’ve defended Maguire a lot from the whole appalling treatment on social media but the vile delinquents and criticised him for his poor peformance levels that haven’t been up to scratch. And while this is not him ‘making it’, it’s a big turnaround and long may it continue.

Ollie Derbyshire

We aren't going to sell 3 CBs in the summer. The other 2 clearly need to go.
Agreed but that’s what I’d do, if only two I’d sell Maguire and Lindleof, I think Varane is a much better player and would accept his injuries if we replaced them with one player ready to challenge Varane for his spot and a younger player with promise.

Sir Marcus

Well done and well deserved. I’ve defended Maguire a lot from the whole appalling treatment on social media but the vile delinquents and criticised him for his poor peformance levels that haven’t been up to scratch. And while this is not him ‘making it’, it’s a big turnaround and long may it continue.
Agreed, amolbhatia.

Red00012

I cant believe I’m the 2nd poster in this thread 2 hours since the game finished. How times have changed. He’s been excellent these last few weeks . Pity Ten Hag is too stubborn to
play Varane alongside him. As far as I remember Ole always played Maguire on the left side of the 2 centre backs and it was Ten Hag that changed it .

Jev

Did cost us a goal but yeah, he was very good apart from that. Was also great going forwards and took a lot of initiative and made us less predictable.

lex talionis

Played well until he wobbled at the end. But there’s no doubt that he’s massively improved in recent weeks.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The herd mentality around here is ridiculous. Not too long ago most people here were looking for reasons to blame Maguire for every goal we conceded. Now he has a horrible game and you guys vote him POTM? My god, when will you lot learn to think for yourself and not just agree with whats trending? I like Maguire. I've been one of the few that have defended him over the past couple years. But he was horrible today. And some how he's our highest rated player? Gotta love TheCaf :lol:

slored1

Thought he was dreadful in the second half, particularly after the second goal. He is a fine squad player, but unfortunately nowhere near the quality we should aim for.