View full 2023-24 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Bwuk

I’d rather play Casemiro at CB and Amrabat at #6 than see Maguire in a United shirt again.

We should be ruthless with him.

Waynne

:lol:

Maguire could score a hat trick of own goals and there'd still be lads who'd defend him
If he puts in a bang average performance, he gets trolled.
If he scores a goal, he gets trolled.
If he's not even playing, he gets trolled.

At this point you have to wonder what the agenda is because he's human like any one of us and constant trolling/abuse can get to anyone. I'm sick of it and I'm not defending him as I think he's a average to terrible centreback but you're not going to find me constantly berating the guy on social media.

TsuWave

Sad state of affairs. Think that West Ham transfer would have been good for all parties, but alas

Redstain

Listen Maguire not nearly a bad a player as most would have you believe but right now his confidence is shot and he needs to go and play and get his confidence back but watching that game today Lewis Dunk is twice the CB is on current form and should be Stones partner when he returns.
I agree to some extent but he's a limited player which is bad in context. That own goal Maguire conceded was because of his own ability, he's slow as a runner and his positioning in recovery phases of play is poor. He's too narrow in running back and probably should be closer to the attacker a few meters at the very worst scenario in that event he gets done from the drop of a shoulder but it likely doesn't result in a goal.

mav_9me

Now today pisses me off. I understood why Gareth picked Harry against Ukraine. As he said, with Stones and Mings out, he had no senior/experienced players so he picked Maguire. But today, when Guehi comes off, it should be Colwill coming in. How do players gain experience if they aren't given minutes. I haven't seen the own goal, but I"m hearing it was unlucky. Either way, doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't even be on the field...
What do I know but I don't think it's unlucky. It's poor awareness of nobody behind him, combined with poor reactions and poor reflexes. A better athletic player would have deflected it for a corner imo.

mav_9me

I have zero sympathy for him as he chose the money here over a move to west ham for regular football. Consequently now he has become an unnecessary drama and huge headache for Southgate.

FriedClams

Southgate is so sympathetic because he and Maguire share a lot in common, both embarrassed their nation as a a centre back

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Southgate is so sympathetic because he and Maguire share a lot in common, both embarrassed their nation as a a centre back
Its political mate which is ridiculous in a role were the manager only meets the players for 5-6 times a year. Southgate keeps choosing Maguire despite his manager at the club and everyone around him (pundits, fans etc) doesn't rate him. That's the hill Southgate chose to die on. Its as simple as that.

pascell

The fact Southgate calls and plays him as a starter for England despite becoming a bench option for close to a year now at his club says it all about how England national team is being run. No point for other players to even try as the guy has his favorites regardless of form and play time.

:lol: :lol:

Southgate ain't gonna be dropping him anytime soon then
Maguire will go to the Euros if injury free, look at Kalvin Phillips, I'm sure I saw a stat the other day that he's started me games for England than City since moving to City. Absolutely bonkers, Southgate is terrible.

RoyH1

Southgate should realise that he bears some responsibility for consistently not only picking but playing a player so out of elite form. By this point even though it seems like loyalty, it comes across as favouritism.

Tango80

Southgate is bang on.

I feel sorry for H. The pressure he must be under whenever he steps on the pitch must be immense.

He does need to go from United for the sake of himself as well as his international career, but I can almost understand why he wants to stay. It's almost defiance. If he wants to stick 2 fingers up at his critics then running away to a smaller club doesn't really show that.

Cloud7

At this point it's become like a self feeding cycle. He's stuck in such a rut that you can almost guarantee he'll have a moment, and then that moment feeds into the cycle and it keeps on turning.

Laurencio

At this point it's become like a self feeding cycle. He's stuck in such a rut that you can almost guarantee he'll have a moment, and then that moment feeds into the cycle and it keeps on turning.
Agree. I'm surprised he's able to keep playing OK - the amount of pressure every time the ball comes to him must be immense.

I think he's one of a handful of players at the club who has been let down massively by his managers. It's hardly Maguire's fault that he is picked when he isn't up for it, that we massively overpaid for him and it isn't his fault that he was given a captaincy he probably shouldn't have gotten.

People really need to leave him alone.

crossy1686

career ending
His confidence has totally gone, the fear and panic he ensues is visible from the moment he has to do something. He's been incredibly ill advised by people who don't have his best interests at heart and only care about him (and themselves) getting paid.

He's not playing for United, and when he does he gets a load of shit, and now if Southgate continues to pick him for England he's making him a target of abuse from both sets of fans, and you would think he won't willingly do that to the guy if he has any respect for his mental health.

Devil81

His transfer value taking more of a hit by the day, they should have got shut and paid him off.

The circus is more damaging for the team if he's in it.

Marcelinho87

Those claiming his confidence is shot and he's not this bad... It's the exact opposite, he's stuck in some strange world where he is OVER confident and believes he's better than he is.

Confidence issue yes, but the totally wrong way around.

Needs a reality check.

Longshanks

What do I know but I don't think it's unlucky. It's poor awareness of nobody behind him, combined with poor reactions and poor reflexes. A better athletic player would have deflected it for a corner imo.
Nothing wrong with his awareness, there is 2 Scotland players in the box behind him. More athletic players have scored very similar own goals. He cant be certain ramsdale will go for it he has to try and cut it out.

Seen a thousand own goals like that before, it's only that it is the much maligned maguire that it's actually a taking point.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He’s right. Well said Southgate.

Maguire is a fool for staying at United this summer but the constant barrage of mockery has been pathetic.
Southgate is a fool for selecting him and that is part of the reason the player is coming under massive scrutiny

julianfr

Guess Southgate needs to be a bit more specific with Harry when he asks him to try and bag a goal.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Southgate is bang on.

I feel sorry for H. The pressure he must be under whenever he steps on the pitch must be immense.

He does need to go from United for the sake of himself as well as his international career, but I can almost understand why he wants to stay. It's almost defiance. If he wants to stick 2 fingers up at his critics then running away to a smaller club doesn't really show that.
If we gave Maguire his payout then he would have left to West Ham and never looked back. So let's cut this crap about honor, defiance etc. This boils to only money

Dansk

It's hardly Maguire's fault that he is picked when he isn't up for it
Throughout this whole long period of time where he's been horrendous, he seems to have actively fought to stay in the team by other means. His bizarrely confident interviews and his apparent refusal to leave the club make it difficult to shield him from criticism. It seems quite a lot like he himself refuses to acknowledge that he has been utterly dreadful for a very long time, and that he's a serious detriment to the team.

As far as managers go, who know what goes on in Southgate's head. ETH largely dropped him as soon as he took the reins, using him only once in a while as a backup option. At the same time, you can't really expect a manager to totally ostracize a player with that kind of price tag and relatively high wages, especially given the fact that he was the captain up until recently.

All in all, it doesn't look to me like Maguire has faced this long spell of problems with any sort of humility or acceptance whatsoever. On the contrary, he appears to care about nothing whatsoever except his own personal interests. Even with the manager doing everything one realistically can do to see him out the door - dropping him almost entirely from the team and stripping him of the captaincy - he refuses to face the facts.

That's why I can't call him blameless. While he's within his legal rights to see out his contract, that's the only context in which his hands are clean. His consistently abysmal performances, his statements to the press, and his refusal to move on to a place where his presence isn't actively harming the club's progress, these things give him some degree of culpability.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
So he's telling Scotland "they get battered everywhere they go" now, what a tool.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Coming from Southgate, who’s seen some shit himself, that’s saying something. Playing him has been ill advised for some time, but dropping him is surely just the kindest thing to do at this point?

RedDevilQuebecois

Southgate is a fool for selecting him and that is part of the reason the player is coming under massive scrutiny
This. If a player is not performing up to certain standards, logic says the manager should drop that player in order to set proper standards of performance that every-fecking-one should aim at.

Southgate is bang on.

Shaking my head after I read that. Defiance? Really? I call that abysmal stupidity. All he has done for over 2 seasons now is that he cannot live with the pressure of wearing the Man Utd shirt and it now shows with England. Southgate is only making the problem worse by selecting Maguire instead of sending him home to like any intelligent manager would.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Southgate is right - the treatment he gets, especially from the media, goes way over the top.

However he does also share some responsibility for his treatement for keeping him the limelight.

I wish for his own sake he'd gone to West Ham, everyone would be in a way better place right now

Gordon Godot

Southgate is right - the treatment he gets, especially from the media, goes way over the top.

However he does also share some responsibility for his treatement for keeping him the limelight.

I wish for his own sake he'd gone to West Ham, everyone would be in a way better place right now
The treatment is tough but Maguire had a way out. He has chosen to prioritise money over career and his image. I dont have too much sympathy.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I've always felt Southgate is a clown. Every other manager who went out at the stage (or before) at the World Cup is no longer in the job, as far as I can tell...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The treatment is tough but Maguire had a way out. He has chosen to prioritise money over career and his image. I dont have too much sympathy.
On a human level I do have some sympathy for him - I don't think i'd have the mental toughness to deal with the constant barage of shit he gets...

But yeah, he had a way out and should have taken it.

The Urban Goose

Hopefully this is leading up to Southgate leaving him out in the future but blaming the press as to why.