View full 2023-24 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

TempusFugit

Bullied Calvert Lewin today. His speed is talked about alot but he's very imposing physically. Wins everything aerially and always knows how to sniff out danger in the box. Long may it continue, he's playing very well right now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Very shaky in first half bit did better in 2nd half. Certainly wasn't brilliant like some are claiming.
He certainly was. When was this very shaky business happening? The team being under pressure doesn’t mean Maguire was shaky.

RedIan

its hard to believe a player who was finished at United in August is now playing so well. Fair play to Harry, showed some real balls.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm not Maguire's biggest fan, as my post history shows, but he's been good recently. Not spectacular but he's been competent enough, both with the ball and without the ball, that he's justifying his place. All the Varane talk is nonsense. They're both right footed, which means Ten Hag sees them as competing for the right centre back position and Maguire has the better distribution and is defending decently. You can see why he's starting.

Even got the bit of luck today when Onana stopped a shot that hit him but Mainoo was there to clear it off the line. Six months ago that canons off him and goes into the net. Finally getting a bit of a break maybe?

dogwithabone

Really good performance. Probably our first choice centre back right now. Like him or not you have to admire his resilience and professionalism to knuckle down and battle back.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Was very good again today. Deserves his place in the starting eleven.

Has been much better than Lindelof as well, so once Licha returns he should be his partner. Apparently Varane is a goner anyway.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We were very very lucky not to concede today. Harry was fine. As I said earlier in the thread during the week he’s somehow been our best player this season. He was pretty decent today but we were all the shop at times. As @#07 said above it’s nice to see us getting some luck again and having some players come into form. Maguire will keep his place for the rest of the season now. He deserves to anyway

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Genuinely didn’t think there was any way back for him. But here is he, with another solid display.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Another really good game.
And another game that "suits him" like some tried to downplay a few other great displays.

However, some tough games ahead ,so let's hope he keeps this up.

Rojofiam

Don't be afraid to admit he's actually a really good defender.

I hope Martínez returns soon because I really want to see them play together.

Onana - AWB Maguire Martínez Shaw could be a decent back 5.

tomaldinho1

The redemption arc we’ve all waited for continues it ascent. Only after he lifts the CL will it be complete.

Lentwood

He is and always was a very good centre half who suffered badly in a highly dysfunctional OGS side that exposed all of his major weaknesses. His price tag and the captaincy meant he was always in the spotlight during a very difficult period for him and the club.

If you want to win major trophies, it's likely you'd fall short if he was a regular starter, but he's more than good enough for a team with aspirations for solid top four finishes.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
He has been decent of recent, benching Varane and rightly so.

Alemar

He had a solid performance. Could’ve scored an own goal though, if not for Mainoo goal line clearance

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Maybe we're starting to see the benefit of taking the responsibility of being captain away from him.

I still get the yips when I see him in the lineup, but the Benny Hill theme has at least stopped autoplaying in my head, for now.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He was ok but any time Maguire and Lindelof line up I am terrified. Every time Varane and Licha were starting, I was full of confidence. Just not the same

Not sure what Varane could have done to EtH that Erik refuses to start him even though everybody knows Varane is our best CB by far

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The redemption arc we’ve all waited for continues it ascent. Only after he lifts the CL will it be complete.
I don’t think we’ve all been waiting for a redemption arc. That it is happening is great (really), but I, and many others would’ve been happy to see him moved on last summer. I think it’s extremely poor form for anyone to not give him his due for what he’s doing now because just as he was getting pelters for being atrocious, so should he be acknowledged when doing well and he absolutely is doing well this season.

The level of opposition we’ve played, Maguire is supposed to do well against and the real plaudits will come his way if he can do the same against the kind of forwards he is expected to be a level or two below, which is around about this upcoming run of games. If he comes out of those intact, those incapable of giving him credit will look like agenda posters who have it in for no matter how well he performs, which would be a sad state of affairs.

Yakuza_devils

Keep Maguire. He has shown very strong mentality to come back from all the shits he gets from Man Utd fans. He is the best CB for us now, even better than Martinez because of his aerial ability. His passing has improved so much that it's on par if not better than Martinez. Onana calmness at the back also helps Maguire's game tremendously.

He is certainly better than Varane. Varane is also so injury prone that we should be looking to get rid and replace with a more reliable CB. Hope Saudi will take Varane from us.

suheilsworld

Maguire and Lindelof... the defensive partnership we wanted a few years back but got it now. As posters have said, I am afraid to praise him as it might jinx him but man, he has been immense. Really glad he is proving all of us wrong. There is a mistake here and there but he is playing according to his strengths and it is really working. Of course there might be some errors that lead to goal but no defender is perfect.

sugar_kane

I was very much Maguire Out but the balls this guy has shown after being publicly humiliated with the captaincy change and nearly forced out over the summer is seriously impressive.

If he can build on these solid performances and get back to the levels he was showing a few seasons back he could even be in with a shout for player of the season.

SirAF

Ageist
Aahh, feck it. Fair play to Maguire for dragging himself back into contention! I'm impressed.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Pretty amazing that he has leapt ahead of Varane - but deservedly so.

Yakuza_devils

Never seen a player come back from all these in a major club:

1) Boo by his own fans game after game, it was embarrassing
2) Stripped of captaincy by his manager
3) Dropped to 5th choice CB by his manager, publicly humiliated
4) Almost being forced out of the club by his manager and the board
5) Been told he needs to go so that we can sign a young CB as replacement
6) Every online Man Utd forum was full of hatred posts against him
7) The English media was making fun of him week in week out

It seemed that everyone at the club wanted to get rid of him. His England place was also in question.

With all the odds against him, he choose to stay and fight for his place. He got balls of steel. There were definitely much easier way out but he choose to fight. Top mentality.

Without him this season, we would be in much worse state than now. He has stabilised our defence when Martinez and Varane were out for long period of time.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
As long as he now gets picked or not on merit I'm happy for him to be part of the team/squad. Losing the captaincy was a good move.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Maybe we're starting to see the benefit of taking the responsibility of being captain away from him.

I still get the yips when I see him in the lineup, but the Benny Hill theme has at least stopped autoplaying in my head, for now.
I still think people were being irrational on that issue. Bruno has the band and it's not like he's playing any better.

Dansk

I mean, he had a pretty good game, but let's not make it into more than it was. It's not as if he had a fantastic performance full of individual brilliance. He did alright, but he did also nearly cost a goal when he barged into Onana and the ball had to be cleared off the goal line as a result. He's doing much better lately than he has in recent years, but it's beyond absurd to hear people calling him one of our best players yesteday. It was a 6/10 performance, and even that is being a little generous. There's a weird desperation to flatter him since he clawed his way up from years of consistently horrendous performances to a handful of respectable games. It's good that he's a serviceable defender lately, but he's not exactly working miracles.

Baneofthegame

Just came to post that he’s done really well since coming back into the side, happy for him.

Ludens the Red

I mean, he had a pretty good game, but let's not make it into more than it was. It's not as if he had a fantastic performance full of individual brilliance. He did alright, but he did also nearly cost a goal when he barged into Onana and the ball had to be cleared off the goal line as a result. He's doing much better lately than he has in recent years, but it's beyond absurd to hear people calling him one of our best players yesteday. It was a 6/10 performance, and even that is being a little generous. There's a weird desperation to flatter him since he clawed his way up from years of consistently horrendous performances to a handful of respectable games. It's good that he's a serviceable defender lately, but he's not exactly working miracles.
Yeah kinda agree here. Where I think he’s been good lately is on the ball. He’s been making some good progressive runs into space and been confident on the ball. He’s also picking the right passes a lot of the time. But yeah I don’t think defensively he’s been “amazing” and in the more difficult games in this period when he’s been back we’ve still conceded a fair few goals.