Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotThatSoph

It's doesn't make it 'low' to use a recent example to illustrate why people are now skeptical of the actions of and statements of police departments. Stop trying to imply there was more to my statement than there is. 'It's low.'
Alright, lets go with that.

George Floyd was murdered on the street. Breonna Taylor was murdered in her bed. Black people as a group are systematically targeted and punished harder for crimes than white people are.

The cops came to break up a party at one of my neighbors recently. They cited a noise complaint and a failure to properly uphold social distancing. Because of Breonna Taylor, George Floyd and countless other victims I think those party people listening to the Final Countdown probably got a raw deal, maybe nobody even complained. Black Lives Matter, stand up for 40 year old drunks.

OL29

That's exactly what happened.
If that’s the case then it’s only fair to say that a number of xenophobes have jumped into to absolve Harry of any wrong doing and put all the blame on so-called corrupt Greek police. But I’m sure you’ll ignore that.

lsd

The Oracle
Why can English people not handle their drink ? Maybe you should stick to tea in future

I have seen reports saying two other players involved 27 and 28 yrs old anyone know who they are ?

90 + 5min

Yes I have been to Greece several times. I personally have been warned about the Hellenic police by Greeks. My anecdotes are as good as yours. Spend just 5 minutes researching it, and you'll know why people are skeptical.

What does this paragraph even mean? Of course it wasn't founded to 'get some points.' Doesn't mean the universal awakening of people to police corruption can't be considered when we are talking about a undeniably corrupt police force.

It's incredible how on the same forum I can be accused of being both pro and anti police. Being skeptical of a organization that is recognized globally for it's corruption shouldn't be a sore spot for you, particularly when it was originally in response to those using Britains reputation abroad as a reason why all the initial rumours must be true. We've now got local papers indicating that Maguire's sister had been stabbed. Almost like those of us who said, 'let's wait before condemning him,' might be on to something...
If you search for everything you can find everything. You can even find how dangerous Maldives are.

It isn't. What I don't like is defending someone who is "ours" and misscrediting others when we have so little to go on. And IF it happened as we have seen in all those reports then we can't defend his actions. What we can do is forgive. Not defend.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So who is on flight tracker? Am sure journos will be waiting at Manchester Airport to greet him home

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Alright, lets go with that.

George Floyd was murdered on the street. Breonna Taylor was murdered in her bed. Black people as a group are systematically targeted and punished harder for crimes than white people are.

The cops came to break up a party at one of my neighbors recently. They cited a noise complaint and a failure to properly uphold social distancing. Because of Breonna Taylor, George Floyd and countless other victims I think those party people listening to the Final Countdown probably got a raw deal, maybe nobody even complained. Black Lives Matter, stand up for 40 year old drunks.
Or maybe we should go with:

Uses BLM to illustrate that people are more aware of police corruption now, and why that skepticism can be applied to the second most corrupt police organization in the world.

But I suppose it's harder to get upset about that.

ivaldo

If you search for everything you can find everything. You can even find how dangerous Maldives are.

It isn't. What I don't like is defending someone who is "ours" and misscrediting others when we have so little to go on. And IF it happened as we have seen in all those reports then we can't defend his actions. What we can do is forgive. Not defend.
And you get uppety about my comparisons. :lol:

Except, at no point have I defended Maguire. All I've ever said is we should wait for more information to become available. It's got naff all to do with him being 'ours.' If he was a Liverpool player I would have said the same thing. If he did the things he is accused of then he deserves whatever he gets. But people jumping on those skeptical about all this when so little information is available deserve to be challenged.

ivaldo

If that’s the case then it’s only fair to say that a number of xenophobes have jumped into to absolve Harry of any wrong doing and put all the blame on so-called corrupt Greek police. But I’m sure you’ll ignore that.
You can say that if you like. If you require it be an 'us vs them' in order to justify your stance, then that's your prerogative.

90 + 5min

And you get uppety about my comparisons. :lol:

Except, at no point have I defended Maguire. All I've ever said is we should wait for more information to become available. It's got naff all to do with him being 'ours.' If he was a Liverpool player I would have said the same thing. If he did the things he is accused of then he deserves whatever he gets. But people jumping on those skeptical about all this when so little information is available deserve to be challenged.
You wouldn't ;)

Kopral Jono

I just find it a bit weird seeing people slag Maguire off without having a full grasp of the facts on the ground. Some of the stuff being said on Twitter, by Pogba oddballs especially, makes me feel a little uncomfortable.

I'm no fan of him as a United player, let alone as our captain, but let's not be quick to judge.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I assume that Greek tweet is supposed to read 'serious bodily harm' not serial. That's no small charge, at least in the legal jurisdictions I'm aware of. Certainly not a 'walk away with a fine' crime.

I also can't believe his lawyer can represent him in court, and he's allowed to leave the country.

Acquire Me

I assume that Greek tweet is supposed to read 'serious bodily harm' not serial. That's no small charge, at least in the legal jurisdictions I'm aware of. Certainly not a 'walk away with a fine' crime.

I also can't believe his lawyer can represent him in court, and he's allowed to leave the country.
Clearly not a big deal then.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Why can English people not handle their drink ? Maybe you should stick to tea in future

I have seen reports saying two other players involved 27 and 28 yrs old anyone know who they are ?
Its gross generalisation but as someone whose got my share of drinking I attribute it to two things

a- lack of eating while drinking. Alcohol on an empty stomach is a killer. Which is why most Mediterranean countries offer free appetisers while drinking.
b- UK police tend to treat drunkards with kiddie gloves.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Clearly not a big deal then.
Yeah, I mean if there's any chance of a sentence being jailtime, they can't let that happen surely? The effort it woudl take to extradite him would be ridiculous.

Classical Mechanic

I hope Ole gets a couple of press photographers down to the airport with him when Maguire lands to get a shot of him putting the captains armband on Harry as he gets off the plane.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
13:27KEY EVENT
United statement on Maguire
Manchester United have released a new statement on Harry Maguire's situation in Greece.
"Following appearance in court today we note adjournment of case to allow legal team to consider case file.
"Harry has pleaded not guilty to charges. It would be inappropriate for the player or club to comment further while the legal process takes its course."

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I hope Ole gets a couple of press photographers down to the airport with him when Maguire lands to get a shot of him putting the captains armband on Harry as he gets off the plane.
Ah! A touch of Dalgleish and the Suarez T shirts.
How to embarrass yourself

Paul_Scholes18

Just sell him after this! Let Smalling and Rojo play and we will challenge for the title.
Jones will finally be injury free too so we have a quality backup player there.
Seriously questions need to be asked. Our captain should be more professional.

0le

Just sell him after this! Let Smalling and Rojo play and we will challenge for the title.
Imaginging now if Bailly is injured, Smalling is gone and Jones starts our first game of the season alongside Lindelof :D

dev1l

Seriously questions need to be asked. Our captain should be more professional.
And we ll all live happily after

Paul_Scholes18

Imaginging now if Bailly is injured, Smalling is gone and Jones starts our first game of the season alongside Lindelof :D
Could work if Jones is injury free and in some kind of form, but he will go down after 15 minutes. No Tuanzebe either so it will be Matic or Mctominay in central defense.

NotThatSoph

I just find it a bit weird seeing people slag Maguire off without having a full grasp of the facts on the ground. Some of the stuff being said on Twitter, by Pogba oddballs especially, makes me feel a little uncomfortable.

I'm no fan of him as a United player, let alone as our captain, but let's not be quick to judge.
I think it's perfectly normal to judge things as you see it. People didn't wait for a verdict when John Terry racially abused Anton Ferdinand, or automatically absolve Terry when he was found not guilty. A lot of people (rightly) believed Evra over Suarez from the start.

I think there's a good chance this whole thing is exaggerated, that Maguire's personal involvement is minor if not, and that nothing will happen anyway even if things are reported accurately. I also think it's perfectly natural to believe the reports when there without a doubt was a drunken brawl involving 20-somethings and arrests.

Prodigal7

You're accusing the police of falsifying a police report, which is a crime. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
I know what Greek authorities are like so yes. The video of those plain clothes police shows them trying to trigger a conflict. Maguire is an obvious and recognisable target.

NotThatSoph

I know what Greek authorities are like so yes. Maguire is an obvious and recognisable target as well.
Then you don't believe in innocent until proven guilty, and you shouldn't pretend to. You believe that Maguire should be assumed innocent until proven guilty, you don't think that it's a general principle.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
No idea how jurisdiction works in Greece but no way would he go to jail for first time offences like that here in Austria.
Let's say it was Maguire that allegedly hit a policeman then there's everyway he could be going to jail for it. First offence or not if you attack a person in authority in most countries in the world its punishable by prison time.

Of course he won't go because of who he is and it wouldn't surprise me if it was brushed under the carpet then in 6 months the Mykonos police station gets a revamp and 5 new police cars, if, and it is a big if at the moment he actually was involved to the extent being reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.