Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigal7

Then you don't believe in innocent until proven guilty, and you shouldn't pretend to. You believe that Maguire should be assumed innocent until proven guilty, you don't think that it's a general principle.
If you show me a video of his assaulting anyone then he’s guilty. Otherwise he’s innocent until proven otherwise. Don’t see how that’s complicated to understand.

NotThatSoph

If you show me a video of his assaulting anyone then he’s guilty. Otherwise he’s incident until proven otherwise. Don’t see how that’s complicated to understand.
It's not complicated to understand that you consider Maguire innocent until proven guilty, just like it's not complicated to understand that you consider other people guilty before proven guilty.

Lee1001

I don’t think he should play for England again if this is true, doesn’t look good for international relations

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I think perhaps it would be reasonable to say that in all likelihood there will not be any immediate serious repercussions from this incident i.e. he isn't going to end up in jail. However, could this still damage his image at the club in the longer term?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Am I missing something here? Seeing as how people are calling for Maguire's head. But the latest reports I read were his sister was stabbed and this altercation was a result of his clashing with the people who stabbed her. If that is true then I don't really blame Maguire for losing his head. Are the people making fun of him here, happy to stand and watch as their relatives get stabbed?

Marcus

As United fans, we have to stand with Harry since he has pleaded not guilty. If we don't, who will? Those taunting him were probably Liverpool fans.

cyberman

Am I missing something here? Seeing as how people are calling for Maguire's head. But the latest reports I read were his sister was stabbed and this altercation was a result of his clashing with the people who stabbed her. If that is true then I don't really blame Maguire for losing his head. Are the people making fun of him here, happy to stand and watch as their relatives get stabbed?
Positions have been taken, arguments to be won.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Are you suggesting that if a relative gets stabbed, it justifies assaulting police, resisting arrest and then bribing police?
I don't think anyone would say it was wrong to defend a stabbed relative, but thats not what he has been charged with is it?
Anyway he may not even have been involved so lets see what happens before taking sides

Smores

The assault of the police was supposed to have happened later according to that reported police source anyway. Hopefully he wasn't involved in that and his mates are just idiots but we'll see.

If it was just the initial fight then he wouldn't even be in trouble.

Kopral Jono

I think it's perfectly normal to judge things as you see it. People didn't wait for a verdict when John Terry racially abused Anton Ferdinand, or automatically absolve Terry when he was found not guilty. A lot of people (rightly) believed Evra over Suarez from the start.

I think there's a good chance this whole thing is exaggerated, that Maguire's personal involvement is minor if not, and that nothing will happen anyway even if things are reported accurately. I also think it's perfectly natural to believe the reports when there without a doubt was a drunken brawl involving 20-somethings and arrests.
Different context. I'd have no reason not to believe the accounts of Evra and Ferdinand, whereas I'd have every reason to doubt the accounts of authorities from a country where corruption and other abuses of power are rife, in this instance that country happens to be Greece. Hailing from a place where those practices are common, I know a so-called 'soft target' when I see one.

And your second point is exactly the reason why I think we shouldn't be too quick to judge.

King7Eric

Are you suggesting that if a relative gets stabbed, it justifies assaulting police, resisting arrest and then bribing police?
I don't think anyone would say it was wrong to defend a stabbed relative, but thats not what he has been charged with is it?
Anyway he may not even have been involved so lets see what happens before taking sides
It'd appear that he must have had an altercation with the perpetrators of the stabbing and when the police arrived he would have been heated enough to not act totally rationally at that moment. But if I saw one of my relatives stabbed in front of me, even I wouldn't be totally thinking straight. It doesn't justify assaulting the police, but given its the Greek police which is notorious for targetting tourists, I wouldn't judge Harry on losing his head if he was getting riled up by the police in such a situation.

Prodigal7

And where’s the evidence he’s actually done all those things you mentioned. Greek police are the most corrupt in Europe and to think that someone who’s known to everyone as the model professional would assault a police officer is ridiculous in my opinion. Unless I see direct evidence of him committing these alleged crimes I won’t believe them.

Cassidy

And where’s the evidence he’s actually done all those things you mentioned. Greek police are the most corrupt in Europe and to think that someone who’s known to everyone as the model professional would assault a police officer is ridiculous in my opinion. Unless I see direct evidence of him commuting these alleged crimes I won’t believe them.
Read the last line

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
As United fans, we have to stand with Harry since he has pleaded not guilty. If we don't, who will? Those taunting him were probably Liverpool fans.
As United fans, we have nothing to do with a private matter we know nothing about.

Paul_Scholes18

How should United punnish him for this?
Let him pay of part of his own fee with his salary?
No more captain?
Benched for the first few games?

Cassidy

No more captain?
Nothing should be done until the full details are known

pauldyson1uk

Stabbed ? I read she was grabbed, but still, defending his sister , would we all not do that if the situation arose ?

Smores

As United fans, we have nothing to do with a private matter we know nothing about.
Ah damn I've already printed the free harry t-shirts and face masks.

It's very easy to tell which ones would have been defending Suarez on here.

elnorte

Freaky fly day

God. Kenny Dalglish was an absolute dumpster fire in that whole affair.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What about the people Harry and friends were supposed to have had this fight with, the ones who actually started things off it appears? Have they got away with it or were they arrested as well?

King7Eric

Stabbed ? I read she was grabbed, but still, defending his sister , would we all not do that if the situation arose ?
The Mail says she was stabbed in the arm. Not the most reliable source but it appears his sister was involved and yeah as I say I don't blame him for getting upset if someone was being inappropriate with her.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Exactly. This attitude - how is that any different from Liverpool going all out for Suarez?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It'd appear that he must have had an altercation with the perpetrators of the stabbing and when the police arrived he would have been heated enough to not act totally rationally at that moment. But if I saw one of my relatives stabbed in front of me, even I wouldn't be totally thinking straight. It doesn't justify assaulting the police, but given its the Greek police which is notorious for targetting tourists, I wouldn't judge Harry on losing his head if he was getting riled up by the police in such a situation.
Why do you think Greek police ‘target’ tourists? Perhaps because tourists behave badly and outside of the law?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
No more captain?
I think they should make him play first touch passes, that'll really show him.

NotThatSoph

I have to point out that it's "kid gloves", as in kidskin which is from baby goats and is very soft leather. :)
I never actually made that connection. I should've, because over here they're made of silk.

No more captain?
Just to clarify, punish him for what?

He’s pleaded not guilty.

It may be proven he’s done something, but at this moment in time what are you actually punishing him for? How can you justify benching him?

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Exactly. This attitude - how is that any different from Liverpool going all out for Suarez?
There's a massive difference between having empathy for a person getting caught up in a brawl, with a group of scum, who initiated and escalated the situation, compared to supporting a rat-faced scum bag who racially abused a fellow professional for no reason.

the_answer

In which way does this incident affect his role at United?
We gotta look at the past season and improve his play, whether he hit someone in greece is not related to his job as a defender at united imho.
So let's keep supporting him and let his football talk.

Also he's a young guy on vacation, sometimes a brawl can happen. Not like he molested kids or sold drugs. No need to punish him as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.