Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

imamuppet

So let me get the facts so far sorted out as we know them:

A) Liverpool and Man City fans shout abuse at Maguire and stab his sister.
B) Maguire heroically clears out 14 Scouse/City fans without hurting them too much.
C) as this ends, Maguire has accidentally knocked a pint out of the hands of a corrupt Greek secret police officer.
D) this police officer has told Maguire for 2,000 he will let him off.
E) Maguire said “no, that is not the united way. Arrest me if you must, but I shall not break my code of honour.”
F) The Greek prison warden (former Liverpool player Kyrgiakos) has kept him in for a second night and not given him food or water.

They’re the facts as far as I have established. And some are using this to berate Maguire?
Fck, thats exactly what happened, how did you know? Was meant to be top secret as in "secret police"

:lol:

Seriously, looks like our "Arry" was simply behaving as the hero he is

:)

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Nothing makes punching officers, resisting arrest, and bribes underatandable. (Of course its possible he did none of those things). But the lengths people are leaping to, to attempt to justify said actions incase he did do that is a bit silly. Also being off your tits is not an excuse to go punching anyone who did not threaten you with violence. That goes for any of those that did that not Maguire specifically. Unless you are attempting to suggest the plain clothes police attacked them and they were acting in self defence.

Nothing would make attempting to flee once taken to the station understandable either.

Anyway he may not even be involved in any of the above. But lets not attempt to explain away the above actions just because he is Harry Maguire
You might not understand but others do.

And nobody said being off your tits excuses anything. It does go towards explaining stupid behaviour though.

I've no feeling either way towards Harry Maguire and if he got locked up for 2 years it would probably help Chelsea (in a small way) but this all seems like much ado about nothing. Drunk bloke overreacted and acted stupidly is my take based on what we know now.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
BBC: Maguire in court

Manchester United captain Harry Maguire appeared in court on Saturday after being arrested following an incident on the island of Mykonos.

The England defender, 27, is on holiday in Greece.

The Syros prosecutor's office said on Friday that "three foreigners" had been arrested after an alleged altercation with police officers on Thursday.

Maguire's lawyer Konstantinos Darivas said he denies the allegations and the defender left court without comment.

Darivas added that he was "fully convinced he will be released without any charges" on Saturday.

Maguire joined United from Leicester for £80m - a world record fee for a defender - in August 2019.

"The club is aware of an alleged incident involving Harry Maguire in Mykonos last night," United said in a statement on Friday.

"Contact has been made with Harry, and he is fully co-operating with the Greek authorities. At this time we will be making no further comment."

Greek police said in a statement officers had tried to break up an altercation between two groups outside a bar and that the three foreigners had then verbally abused and assaulted one of the officers.

The statement claimed that after arriving at Mykonos police station, the three arrested individuals then "strongly resisted, pushing and hitting three police officers" and that "one of the detainees tried to offer money so that the trial against them would not be completed".

The police say a file has been opened which includes accusations of "violence against officials, disobedience, bodily harm, insult and attempted bribery of an official".

It is not known specifically what Maguire has been accused of.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There has to be some coincidence in this happening the same week Liverpool sign a Greek player. They are clearly behind this.

90 + 5min

You wonder what a global movement created to shine a light on the corrupt, illegal and unethical practices by law enforcement officers has to be with the second most corrupt law enforcement organization in the world, that has a well publicized history of beating, blackmailing and systemic mistreatment of foreigners in Greece?

This, after you try and establish a connection between Maguire and British lad culture. Unbelievable.
Have you ever been to Greece? I have never ever had any trouble with police in Greece. And I personally don't know anybody who have. So you are painting a picture that isn't true.

When it comes to BLM. That movement was created to shine a light on how some minoreties and ethnic groups are being treated by police. It was not created that you should you use it when you want to get some points. This is why BLM isn't longer what it was supposed to be. To many have taken advantage of that movement and that is why it has lost little of its meaning. Sadly.

It was response to your anti police statement. I said that picture would change if you put Maguire in the bucket of young brittish partyloving lads and how people see them. I never said Maguire is like them. Just that you should not talk about Maguire as a individual and when it comes to police it suddenly becomes as a group.

So you criticise someone else for putting all of one group into a bucket then try to do the same to 'English lad culture' (whatever that means).

Ok.
And if you have followed my comments on this matter you should see that I have said that you can't do that. I put "common view of english lad culture" as a example on how you suddenly have another picture by only doing that as a response on him putting all police in same bucket. Not that I was putting Maguire in it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You're having a mare mate. Maguire is arrested for information, it's a minor scuffle at worst.

Dont bring BLM and second worst corrupt police in the world ? Are you being serious? There are Greeks that might be offended with that statement.

It's a daily arrest and release, stop making a fuse out of it.
You might want to read through the thread and collect a little context to the conversation, mate. It's quite clearly in response to those maniacs who claimed he should lose his armband and could get jail time. Other posters stated they were skeptical because the Hellenic Police has a colourful history of making false claims, and then the xenophobic brigade arrived to explain why being British and being abroad meant he must be guilty of beating up police.

Cloud7

100 % going to be in the same group as Olympiakos in next years CL and Harry will be forced to stay home and the media will make a big deal about it.
With the way football tends to go, I'm almost sure this will happen :lol:

ivaldo

Have you ever been to Greece? I have never ever had any trouble with police in Greece. And I personally don't know anybody who have. So you are painting a picture that isn't true.

When it comes to BLM. That movement was created to shine a light on how some minoreties and ethnic groups are being treated by police. It was not created that you should you use it when you want to get some points. This is why BLM isn't longer what it was supposed to be. To many have taken advantage of that movement and that is why it has lost little of its meaning. Sadly.

It was response to your anti police statement. I said that picture would change if you put Maguire in the bucket of young brittish partyloving lads and how people see them. I never said Maguire is like them. Just that you should not talk about Maguire as a individual and when it comes to police it suddenly becomes as a group.

And if you have followed my comments on this matter you should see that I have said that you can't do that. I put "common view of english lad culture" as a example on how you suddenly have another picture by only doing that as a response on him putting all police in same bucket. Not that I was putting Maguire in it.
Yes I have been to Greece several times. I personally have been warned about the Hellenic police by Greeks. My anecdotes are as good as yours. Spend just 5 minutes researching it, and you'll know why people are skeptical.

What does this paragraph even mean? Of course it wasn't founded to 'get some points.' Doesn't mean the universal awakening of people to police corruption can't be considered when we are talking about a undeniably corrupt police force.

It's incredible how on the same forum I can be accused of being both pro and anti police. Being skeptical of a organization that is recognized globally for it's corruption shouldn't be a sore spot for you, particularly when it was originally in response to those using Britains reputation abroad as a reason why all the initial rumours must be true. We've now got local papers indicating that Maguire's sister had been stabbed. Almost like those of us who said, 'let's wait before condemning him,' might be on to something...

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Always a strong argument on the internet. Right after you justify your clear xenophobia.
What on earth does Black Lives Matter have to do with Harry Maguire and his white English mates getting drunk, getting into a fight and allegedly hitting and bribing a police officer?
There is no connection whatsoever.

ivaldo

What on earth does Black Lives Matter have to do with Harry Maguire and his white English mates getting drunk, getting into a fight and allegedly hitting and bribing a police officer?
There is no connection whatsoever.
Google: What is Context? If only there was some way to find out why it was used when posters were inexplicably using Maguire's nationality as cause, but denying the Hellenic Police's well publicized corruption and mistreatment of foreigners.

NotThatSoph

It's incredible how on the same forum I can be accused of being both pro and anti police. Being skeptical of a organization that is recognized globally for it's corruption shouldn't be a sore spot for you, particularly when it was originally in response to those using Britains reputation abroad as a reason why all the initial rumours must be true. We've now got local papers indicating that Maguire's sister had been stabbed. Almost like those of us who said, 'let's wait before condemning him,' might be on to something...
It's not incredible at all, seeing as people have extremely wide views of the cops.

However, it's even less incredible how someone can get stick for bringing up BLM here. Black Lives Matter is about how especially minorities and other disadvantaged groups have been brutalized by police since forever. Murdered, beat up, profiled and having their lives ruined. Systematically. Black Lives Matter is not about filthy rich white people boozing and brawling on vacation.

You can make obvious points about police overreach, corruption and how they're inherently untrustworthy due to their power and nature of their profession without invoking Black Lives Matter. It's low.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Greece media also reporting that Harry thought there'd be a fine of the situation but apparently there's no fines for these things in Greece and that's why they thought it was a bribe.
And it all got lost in translation .... Nice cover story invented by his lawyer

OL29

You might want to read through the thread and collect a little context to the conversation, mate. It's quite clearly in response to those maniacs who claimed he should lose his armband and could get jail time. Other posters stated they were skeptical because the Hellenic Police has a colourful history of making false claims, and then the xenophobic brigade arrived to explain why being British and being abroad meant he must be guilty of beating up police.
That's not what happened at all.

ivaldo

It's not incredible at all, seeing as people have extremely wide views of the cops.

However, it's even less incredible how someone can get stick for bringing up BLM here. Black Lives Matter is about how especially minorities and other disadvantaged groups have been brutalized by police since forever. Murdered, beat up, profiled and having their lives ruined. Systematically. Black Lives Matter is not about filthy rich white people boozing and brawling on vacation.

You can make obvious points about police overreach, corruption and how they're inherently untrustworthy due to their power and nature of their profession without invoking Black Lives Matter. It's low.
It's doesn't make it 'low' to use a recent example to illustrate why people are now skeptical of the actions of and statements of police departments. Stop trying to imply there was more to my statement than there is. 'It's low.'

Classical Mechanic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_corruption#Greece

https://www.refworld.org/pdfid/4ff53e842.pdf

https://www.thenationalherald.com/a..._shows_greek_cops_still_corrupt_ridden-50622/

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It's doesn't make it 'low' to use a recent example to illustrate why people are now skeptical of the actions of and statements of police departments. Stop trying to imply there was more to my statement than there is. 'It's low.'
BLM was about American cops targeting black people for crimes they didn’t commit, or for Indefensible violent or even murderous acts by police against black people.

I don’t think there was one person who was protesting for the rights of drunk English tourists fighting policeman on Mediterranean summer resorts. But you’re welcome to start that movement and see if it catches on.
Don’t attach it to BLM though as you’ll get laughed out of town.

dev1l

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...lease-statement-Harry-Maguire-plea-court-date
Manchester United have revealed that Harry Maguire issued a not guilty plea at a Greek court this morning following an alleged fight outside a pub on the party island of Mykonos.

Maguire has spend the last two nights in a police cell but he was allowed to walk away from court today to return to the UK.

The 27-year-old's does not have to return to Greece for his trail on Tuesday, August 25 as his lawyer will be present.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They didnt do anything wrong? Right... stamping a guy on the floor is nothing wrong.
Where is the proof of this? I have seen nothing that confirms Maguire was involved in any fighting.

Unless you can prove otherwise he is just being arrested of suspicion.

ivaldo

How many posters need to tell you that on this matter you’re taking crap? Seriously there is no link.
Except it's pretty evident you've joined the conversation part way through and formed an opinion on it you thought was important to share. It wasn't even used as a direct comparison, rather, a throw away comment about how people are now more aware of police corruption because of BLM and why they are skeptical, particularly when the police organization in question is reknowned for being corrupt. But don't let that get in the way of a good put down.

dev1l

So that’s the ‘compromise’ that was reached. He has his get out clause.

Doubt Maguire will be allowed to ever set foot again in Greece which will make future CL or international games a controversy.
You seem to know Greek law very well.

sparx99

Fergie fired the players and staff drinking booze didn't he. Got rid of the drinking culture.

Anyone caught drinking got a hairdryer blown on them
Only during the season. They were allowed to drink during their holidays. They used to have beers on the coach back from away games.

Status
Not open for further replies.