Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorris

Aye, you do seem to be enjoying this whole thing. Don't worry mate, he'll be back walking the lads out in no time. No doubt you'll be hoping he drops a clanger and costs us the game.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I think everybody will understand a football supporter being biased towards one of his team’s players. What is not acceptable imo are all these preconceptions on here about a foreign country, which I think is even more scandalous given all the trouble our very own British yobs cause in said country.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think everybody will understand a football supporter being biased towards one of his team’s players. What is not acceptable imo are all these preconceptions on here about a foreign country, which I think is even more scandalous given all the trouble our very own British yobs cause in said country.
So are you saying all Brits abroad are yobs?

GazTheLegend

The whole thing actually went to court, attended by lawyer recommended by the UK embassy with half of Europe taking note.

You still think it's a fake police and off duty policeman looking for extra cash?

Which is more believable:

A drunk Brits getting into a fight and mouth off to cops

or

The whole Greek conspired, including the UK embassy, it's actually an IMF level of fake police station, and the greedy cops somehow managed to bribed the judge, and his fine actually goes to the coppers pocket, and the judges, and everyone's is in the cut. Oh throw in the Albanian gangster as well cause they're probably in it for the cut.
Honestly, the truth will come out eventually

Do you not think that if it had been a simple case of drunken fisticuffs Maguire wouldn't have been extremely apologetic and contrite and simply accepted their line of events?

As things stand you honestly think that?

Like - it boggles my mind to be honest that anyone thinks this is a simple case of Maguire getting drunk and fighting and then inventing a load of Albanian gangsters

It's so ridiculous there has to be something to it.

I'll believe Maguire until proven otherwise. This whole thing stinks of someone after a payoff. Why was the trial done so quickly without allowing an actual right and proper defence? It seems ridiculous to trial Maguire simply on word of mouth of the Greek police who are notoriously corrupt.

Matriac

Wonder if he has another gear he's yet to find, don't think so. He didn't need to be VVD; who's like a 9.2/10 but it would have been nice if he was at least a 7.8/10. He's a 7.2 for me and no more.
Yet he's rated as the second best defender in the league.

GazTheLegend

Rams

So are you saying all Brits abroad are yobs?
No, can’t find any post where I wrote that down. A significant enough minority do in my home town which is why the Dutch authorities have had to introduce accelerated prosecutions in order to reduce the strain on the Dutch juridical system caused mainly by British tourists.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Quality control
Just putting this out there (not wumming or anything). Maguire is being accused of, and handed a suspended guilty verdict for things a normal African American gets bullets pumped into him/her for attempting.
Its for those who still needs convincing that Black Lives Matter.

Rams

Choice quote from there:

"data showed more serious corruption with a rise in prosecutions against police officers and staff for involvement in organized crime, said Kathimerini, with investigators handling 1,122 complaints against officers, or three every day"

That sound like a fair and equitable justice system does it?
The police force and justice system are not the same.

For reference sake, what are the figures in the UK? Guess there are bent coppers in every country.

KennyBurner

Manchester United captain is now a convicted criminal???? De gea and Pogba did much less to be stripped of the captaincy. Both players were stripped for wanting us to improve the team. Interesting how all this turns out.

GazTheLegend

For reference sake, what are the figures in the UK? Guess they’re bent coppers in every country.
More links with more choice quotations for you then

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2020/06/21/greece-police-corruption-network/

What happens in the United Kingdom is completely irrelevant here (I think we are a lot better at policing than other countries but that's my opinion and a healthy skepticism for the law in ANY country is fine), whataboutism is a bullshit argument that I despite anyway so if you want to get my back up we can talk more on that but the only relevance here is that yes, police corruption absolutely can be a factor in any case especially when you are talking about dealing with an ultra rich individual.

“Citizens, politicians and police officers in corruption networks and the deep state will be prosecuted and punished,” Citizen Protection Minister Michalis Chryssochoidis warned on Saturday.

“The reports in the press about the activity of a deep state, operating for years before the current government, are horrifying,”

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

For reference sake, what are the figures in the UK? Guess there are bent coppers in every country.
In 18/19, 31097 complaints.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Honestly, the truth will come out eventually
Do you not think that if it had been a simple case of drunken fisticuffs Maguire wouldn't have been extremely apologetic and contrite and simply accepted their line of events?
As things stand you honestly think that?
Like - it boggles my mind to be honest that anyone thinks this is a simple case of Maguire getting drunk and fighting and then inventing a load of Albanian gangsters
It's so ridiculous there has to be something to it.

I'll believe Maguire until proven otherwise. This whole thing stinks of someone after a payoff. Why was the trial done so quickly without allowing an actual right and proper defence? It seems ridiculous to trial Maguire simply on word of mouth of the Greek police who are notoriously corrupt.
Perhaps it wont as you wont ever accept any proof. Maguire will still proclaim his innocence no matter what the Appeal court adjudicates. Fans like you will always believe him, based on your prejudiced opinion of Greek judicial process and police.

This thread is full of posters nonchalantly waving fighting away as a small and insignificant misdemeanour. All that shows is just how normalised such criminal behaviour has become in UK. Perhaps other countries think that in 2020, this is a disgusting disease? You claim Greek police are notorious for corruption. European resort police will claim English men are notorious for being absurdly drunk, badly behaved and violent when they go abroad. I know whose word I'll believe first.

I'm also interested in how you know the circumstances of a 'payoff' situation. Especially as Greek police have stated they denied allowing Maguire this possibility in the first place, and now this has blown up as an international story, how the entire Greek judiciary will go about receiving this 'payoff'.

A poster above has explained that prosecutors providing evidence just before a court hearing is also normal UK court procedure. Regardless, why expect UK norms, when the alleged crimes were committed in another country; they have their own legal and judicial traditions which badly behaved British tourists have to abide by. And as if Britain is a totally free of corruption.

Last edited:

Clermontois

Supports
France
Manchester United captain is now a convicted criminal???? De gea and Pogba did much less to be stripped of the captaincy. Both players were stripped for wanting us to improve the team. Interesting how all this turns out.
Exactly and people on here are talking about not wanting to demoralize Maguire,such silliness. The hopes that some people go through to defend those who look like Maguire or have the same nationality is quite telling.

He should be stripped immediately, if he isn't I can see it affecting the side negatively sooner rather than later.

Drainy

Perhaps it wont as you wont ever accept any proof. Maguire will still proclaim his innocence no matter what the Appeal court adjudicates. Fans like you will always believe him, based on your prejudiced opinion of Greek judicial process and police.

This thread is full of posters nonchalantly waving fighting away as a small and insignificant misdemeanour. All that shows is just how normalised such criminal behaviour has become in UK. Perhaps other countries think that in 2020, this is a disgusting disease? You claim Greek police are notorious for corruption. European resort police will claim English men are notorious for being absurdly drunk, badly behaved and violent when they go abroad. I know whose word I'll believe first.

I'm also interested in how you know the circumstances of a 'payoff' situation. Especially as Greek police have stated they denied allowing Maguire this possibility in the first place, and now this has blown up as an international story, how the entire Greek judiciary will go about receiving this 'payoff'.

A poster above has explained that prosecutors providing evidence just before a car shearing is normal UK court behaviour. Regardless, why expect UK norms, when the alleged crimes were committed in another country; they have their own legal and judicial traditions which badly behaved British tourists have to abide by. And as if Britain is a totally free of corruption.
Self defence should be normalised. Police identifying themselves before using their authority should be demanded.

matt10000

Convicted within the EU - does that count in the UK anymore?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The preconceptions exist because there are reams of available data that support the claim that corruption is a problem in Greece.

I've presented you with a number of links to data from organizations whose sole purpose is to highlight corruption in many forms, yet you ignore this and cry foul about preconceptions (verifiable metrics are not preconceptions) while doing exactly the same thing in reference to British tourists abroad. This really takes away from your credibility.

GiddyUp

His next version? Have you heard him telling any other version? You´re clearly having a bias as well, but not the one you would expect from a United supporter.
He might be Albanian or Greek police.

GiddyUp

Exactly and people on here are talking about not wanting to demoralize Maguire,such silliness. The hopes that some people go through to defend those who look like Maguire or have the same nationality is quite telling.

He should be stripped immediately, if he isn't I can see it affecting the side negatively sooner rather than later.
How did I know you would turn up when you sniffed out something for Pogba.

matt10000

Nah it will all be forgotten soon

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The preconceptions exist because there are reams of available data that support the claim that corruption is a problem in Greece.

I've presented you with a number of links to data from organizations whose sole purpose is to highlight corruption in many forms, yet you ignore this and cry foul about preconceptions (verifiable metrics are not preconceptions) while doing exactly the same thing in reference to British tourists abroad. This really takes away from your credibility.
At the very least he should be skeptical about the charge, what with the delayed provision of papers for a high profile case, the rejection of an adjournment, and the lack of any physical evidence whatsoever. But no. Maguire is a Brit abroad...

matt10000

So it is scandalous to have an opinion on anything in any foreign country in the world because we have a few idiots here just like everywhere else

GiddyUp

I've been around enough Spanish and Greek holiday destinations to know that the authorities are fecking shite with a large dose of victim blaming. Some of the assaults were shocking with the authorities doing fecking nothing. Most were perpetrated by local gangs not foreign yobs. You get more care and attention from the 20 year old holiday rep with a hangover than you would with the local police.

arnie_ni

If its true his legal team have video evidence that would prove his innocence if it had been allowed into the court as evidence, id just make it public now at this stage

big rons sovereign

Choice quote from there:

"data showed more serious corruption with a rise in prosecutions against police officers and staff for involvement in organized crime, said Kathimerini, with investigators handling 1,122 complaints against officers, or three every day"

That sound like a fair and equitable justice system does it?
Sounds to me like they've thought they could make a hefty bit of cash, demanded payment, been told to piss off and not liked it.

starman

Just putting this out there (not wumming or anything). Maguire is being accused of, and handed a suspended guilty verdict for things a normal African American gets bullets pumped into him/her for attempting.
Its for those who still needs convincing that Black Lives Matter.
Are you saying if he was, as you specifically put it "African American", he would have been shot by Greek police?

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
Every single aspect of the story involving the sister sounds really suspect, like my brother is in deep s##t we need to scramble a justification story suspect.

I was listening to Pat Nevin and he made a good point. He was saying as it's a suspended sentence - no fine and no jail time, he could have just drawn a line under it and moved on.
The fact that he's appealing suggests he really feels he's been wronged by that verdict.
It's not a good point, it's a really stupid one, one i'm surprised Nevin who is usually switch on, made. Maguire is a multi-millionaire sports star and has worn the armband for one of the biggest football clubs in the world and one of if not the highest profile national team in the world. Those are positions worth millions and millions of pounds over a long period of time going forward and both positions he stands to lose as a convicted criminal with a record.

The notion that he wouldn't appeal just because he isn't being locked up is really stupid.

padzilla

Hipster
Every single aspect of the story involving the sister sounds really suspect, like my brother is in deep s##t we need to scramble a justification story suspect.

It's not a good point, it's a really stupid one, one i'm surprised Nevin who is usually switch on, made. Maguire is a multi-millionaire sports star and has worn the armband for one of the biggest football clubs in the world and one of if not the highest profile national team in the world. Those are positions worth millions and millions of pounds over a long period of time going forward and both positions he stands to lose as a convicted criminal with a record.

The notion that he wouldn't appeal just because he isn't being locked up is really stupid.
Isn't it the case that Maguire won't be allowed to enter certain countries if he has a criminal record, like the US for example? It could have implications for tours that he might be expected to captain United on. The Guardian is reporting the prosecution is saying all he has to do is apologise and the sentence will be reduced, that sounds very odd, if true of course.

Withnail

Sorry he was also talking about the reports that the appeal could take a long time to get to court and it also means the matter isn't closed so the story drags on and on.

Its not going to be a quick fix. Even if he is acquited on appeal it won't be next week and it won't mean he gets the England captaincy back any time soon.

Withnail

Isn't it the case that Maguire won't be allowed to enter certain countries if he has a criminal record, like the US for example? It could have implications for tours that he might be expected to captain United on. The Guardian is reporting the prosecution is saying all he has to do is apologise and the sentence will be reduced, that sounds very odd, if true of course.
High profile people including sports stars get waivers for visas handily enough.

KennyBurner

Some of you in here are so silly. How can you go on holiday to a foreign country, fail to hold your liquor and then blame it on the residents. Granted it does happen a player like Maguire with all to lose should be much smarter and mature with his decision making. He also tried to pay officials??? Maguire is an idiot!

I really hope he stands his ground and does not apologise for anything. If anything, release his own side of the story.

It's obvious the Greek police are up to no good. From their immediate statements covering their arses to the rushed and biased trial, and now the PR blitz afterwards. Either they were trying to shake him down, or they were doing their gangster mates a favour and didnt realise how high profile this particular drunk Brit was. Now the prosecution lawyer is coming out saying if he apologises they will withdraw the accusations? What a load of nonsense.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
There are so many reasons to appeal. I think not appealing would just be perceived as "well I got away with it" and even appealing and losing is a better look.

Sorry he was also talking about the reports that the appeal could take a long time to get to court and it also means the matter isn't closed so the story drags on and on.

Its not going to be a quick fix. Even if he is acquited on appeal it won't be next week and it won't mean he gets the England captaincy back any time soon.
I think it's just something he has to do and hire the best people possible so as he can be as hands off as possible while it is onging.

What a very opposition fan thing to say.
Nothing to do with being an opposition fan, it just sounds very suspect and sketchy. There are media outlets quoting family sources and close sources and the details are very scattered and vague bordering on contradictory.

I don't know what happened, like everyone else in here. What I do find hilarious though is the fact that there are a lot of posters in here somehow convinced that multiple Greek police and other witnessed are lying for some purpose and it's all a stitch up but have seemingly never once considered the possibility that a sibling(s) would have far more motivation to lie for the benefit of their high profile, wealthy brother.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
If its true his legal team have video evidence that would prove his innocence if it had been allowed into the court as evidence, id just make it public now at this stage
I understand the video is from inside the police station where Maguire is alleged to have committed two of the offenses. How this wasn't brought as evidence at the trial is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.