Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conor

The majority of high ranking officials on these small islands in the Cyclades are the civil service equivalent of referees, they're on an absolute power trip, and love the control they have over things in their realm, whether it be police/judges/mayors, you name it. They would also have a kind of small man complex when it comes to rich foreigners, or even wealthy Greeks from the mainland. Most people probably wouldn't believe the amount of back handing and general corruption that goes on in all aspects of dealing with government and government adjacent people in places like Mykonos and Syros, and are viewing it with equivalence to the police and courts in the UK etc.(even they are crap, but not as crap as these).

The mere fact that he has been given a 21 month suspended sentence, yet the prosecution suggests if he apologises everything will be ok, should make it clear as day that there isn't a whole lot of truth to the police side of events. I'm sure these things would usually go away for lower profile people with money, but they can't back down now because it's been plastered all over every news outlet in Europe.

Amarsdd

wow, just going over the last few pages, some here really have it in for Maguire.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If I said "I'm going to kill you", could you convicted me for murder?
Hell no, it's a rumour, the assault is the only serious case here, and still questionable.

Verbally abuse and bribery are just some argument to attack Maguire's image because they really don't have enough evidence.
They don't have cctv, alcohol/drug test, or even a single finger print on the injury report. The investigation is really fast based on what "they said" that led to a playing victim war from both party.

I really don't care about their story, we need to hear the evidence from their investigation. If Maguire found guilty based on a strong evidence, then jailed him now.
If he said that he would pay money if they make all of this go away then its bribery.

I trust the law (police, judge etc) more then I trust a celebrity who was probably drunk

Member 113277

He was only delayed. He got a waiver and joined up with them, didn't he?
It's the potential uncertainty, extra hassle and delay that I was referring to. It could mean having a personal interview, before a visa was granted.

devilish

Actually this one did: https://worldjusticeproject.org/rule-of-law-index/country/2020/Greece/Criminal Justice/

Maybe you missed it? Greece scores well on a world basis but is near the bottom for its region.

Significant minority is an interesting choice of words. And Amsterdam isn't Mykonos, there's a bit of an expectation that people go to there for drugs and sex. That said, I agreed with you on that point that some British tourists do go abroad and disturb the peace but these are minor offences. If it was a significant problem, countries would require Brits to have visas in addition to their passports. Maybe that would be a violation of EU rules? I don't know.
British people aren't required visas cause a year ago they were EU members. Currently they are in the transition period were both sides agreed to keep things as they were for the time being

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The majority of high ranking officials on these small islands in the Cyclades are the civil service equivalent of referees, they're on an absolute power trip, and love the control they have over things in their realm, whether it be police/judges/mayors, you name it. They would also have a kind of small man complex when it comes to rich foreigners, or even wealthy Greeks from the mainland. Most people probably wouldn't believe the amount of back handing and general corruption that goes on in all aspects of dealing with government and government adjacent people in places like Mykonos and Syros, and are viewing it with equivalence to the police and courts in the UK etc.(even they are crap, but not as crap as these).

The mere fact that he has been given a 21 month suspended sentence, yet the prosecution suggests if he apologises everything will be ok, should make it clear as day that there isn't a whole lot of truth to the police side of events. I'm sure these things would usually go away for lower profile people with money, but they can't back down now because it's been plastered all over every news outlet in Europe.
Agree with this. A higher court in a different locality might see some negative stuff come out for the police. Play nice Harry and we'll sweep it all under the rug.

matt10000

If he said that he would pay money if they make all of this go away then its bribery.

I trust the law (police, judge etc) more then I trust a celebrity who was probably drunk
When you say you trust the law and the police, do you mean in the UK, in Greece or anywhere?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Just listening to Talksport with Andy Goldstein and Darren Gough. Goughy said the business about the 'Don't you know who I am' comment is bullshit, they also played a clip from Andros Townsend this morning and he said when him and some other footballers heard all this yesterday they all said, That is not Harry Maguire and he wouldn't have said it. They both said it is what people expect footballers to say not what they actually do say. Goughy did say that in future he would expect Harry to keep away from the town centres and advised him to get security. He also understood why he hadn't at his age. He just said as you get older it will change.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
British people aren't required visas cause a year ago they were EU members. Currently they are in the transition period were both sides agreed to keep things as they were for the time being
Yeah, that was my assumption. It seems Brits have visa free access to 185 countries. You have to have a pretty decent reputation to get there. FFS it's better than Canada and we're seen as the nice guys.

devilish

When you say you trust the law and the police, do you mean in the UK, in Greece or anywhere?
I refer to judges/police in 1st world countries such as the UK and Greece. Sure Greek judges/police might not have the same reputation that counterparts in Germany might have. There again British holiday makers tend not to cover themselves in glory when going abroad either.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So as we all suspected, it's an absolute farce and this appears to be the first step to clearing his name.

He's doing the right thing by not apologising, while still claiming innocence. There was apparently a video of the event that his defence team wanted to use and it wasn't allowed.

Dan_F

Is that one of Harry’s brothers tweeting? Someone should probably tell him that’s not wise.

Anyway, can everyone stop wetting the bed now?

clarkydaz

I refer to judges/police in 1st world countries such as the UK and Greece. Sure Greek judges/police might not have the same reputation that counterparts in Germany might have. There again British holiday makers tend not to cover themselves in glory when going abroad either.
They publicly admitted if he apologised they would have forgot it. Thats after supposedly attacking a police officer enough he couldnt work the next day and multiple bribes. How do you view that type of upstanding law enforcement?

Member 101269

can the title be undated; Harry appeals; is innocent until proven guilty

devilish

They publicly admitted if he apologised they would have forgot it. Thats after supposedly attacking a police officer enough he couldnt work the next day and multiple bribes. How do you view that type of upstanding law enforcement?
I am not well versed in Greek law. Maybe he'll get a lighter sentence if he apologised.

Here it is

"Under Greek law you can withdraw some accusations regarding non-aggravated bodily harm and concerning the verbal assault, the insults that were shouted at the policemen.'"

" Asked whether the police would accept this, Mr Paradissis said: 'Well I don't know, but they told me they are still waiting for an apology and they haven't heard any. "

https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/E...guire-to-apologise-after-Greece-brawl/2426931

Drainy

So basically some short dicked local shitkickers planted one on him by manipulating the legal system and now its going to be heard properly.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Southgate’s had a fecking mare here.

Daft cnut should have left him out to start with “after a long season” and whilst he sorts this out.

Currently the prick has punished an innocent man.
I think he did what he had to. And i'm sure Maguire will have been consulted all along. He'll be back in the next squad I think.

pauldyson1uk

"In accordance with the Greek judicial process, the filing of an appeal extinguishes the initial court verdict and nullifies the conviction.

"The appeal has been accepted and will lead to a full retrial in a more senior court.

"This means that Harry has no criminal record and is once again presumed innocent until proven guilty. Accordingly, he is not subject to any international travel restrictions."

Withnail

Status
Not open for further replies.