Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holters

What a world we live in where Harry Maguire costs more than De Ligt :houllier:
De Ligt is - no matter how overhyped he is - still only a 19 year old that has shown great potential. He could go on an become a generational defender, BUT he is not a better player than f.ex. Maguire currently. I'm sure there will be frustrations with De Ligt in Italy as well as he continue his development.

Maguire is an English international with multiple good seasons in the PL coming off a great world cup just about to enter his prime.

dutchred

i can't believe we are paying more for him then Juve are paying for de Ligt

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
And I will await the answer to the defender who is better, available and willing to join United. I expect silence.
Better to sign no one than blow £80m on Macguire. If you're desperate, Alderweireld for £25m is a more sensible signing.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If I'm paying a world record fee for a defender, I want him to be one of the best ever defenders, obviously. He isn't.

The club has gone somewhat insane in its transfer business since Fergie left.
So what makes a player "best ever"? Does he have to play at a big club first? I seem to remember a lot of people laughing at how much Liverpool paid for VVD. Maguire is the first name on the team sheet for England and was Leicester's player of the year last year. The guy is class. I suppose we should wait until a big club signs him first and then pay even more? Or if he went to City then we would be bitching about why we didn't sign him....smh

Kag

I'm not going to harp on about it any more because the deal is almost certainly done and I of course want Maguire to succeed but honestly if we really are only interested in improving the defence why not just get the best cb available regardless of the fee which was Koulibaly? It just seems like a strange middle ground we fell into. £60m as a fee is about right considering current market prices imo (the addons make him overpriced but still not that big of a deal if he makes us significantly better)
If Koulibaly was available to purchase and/or interested in a move away then he would be playing somewhere else apart from Napoli.

United, Juventus, City, Bayern, Madrid and Barcelona have all been in the market for a centre half in the past twelve months and Koulibaly remains at Napoli.

If it was do-able then it would be done. It isn’t. Get over it.

Fer

A 60 + 20 deal would be pretty alright wouldn't it?
It depends if the add ons are achievable. IMO Maguire doesn't worth 80m. Van Dijk and De Ligt are better and they were a bit cheaper. I don't rate Maguire that high.

But I'm happy that we have a new CB, I hope he can be a good complement for Lindelof. Maguire is not a leader, so I expect for Lindelof to step up and be the leader in defense we need.

I wanted Wan Bissaka, so I'm glad we signed him. We definitely are going to improve our defense this season. If we end up signing 2 more players, then it could be a great transfer window.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's better than what we’ve got? In my opinion, yes.

Is he worth £60 + 20 in add ons? I'm not sure. Football has money gone crazy.

Do I need to bother about the fee? Not really. The money is going towards improving the squad, then I’m happy.

Alabaster Codify7

He's a big upgrade on every single CB we have. The money is stupid but it is what it is. We're signing another good upgrade for our back four, that's a good thing.

Maguire-Lindelöf with Smalling, Jones, Bailly and Tuanzebe as backups? Rojo needs to go and wouldn't be surprised to see one of Jones/Bailly follow him. But most likely is Axel goes on loan again.

Andersons Dietician

I would like to get rid of Rojo and Jones due to abysmal injury records of both players.
To be honest I wouldn’t really be bothered if any of the 3 of Bailly, Jones or Rojo left but realistically only 2 could probably go at max and that would mean keeping Tuanzebe at the club as a back up.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Not saying that we should definitely spend the whole £250m, I am not an expert in finance so not sure how gad that would affects us.. I will check out some of your posts on out finances. Thanks for notifying me about them. I also hope that we get Bruno Fernandes.

Regarding 1) I realise that we are not in the Champions League and know the financial loss this causes but I thought the club would have spent a bit more this window to get back up there next seson. I am happy that the club is looking to build a team to contend for the league in three seasons and realise it will take more than 1 transfer window to rectify all the issues with our squad.

Regarding point 3) What does "hurr durr" mean please? I realise that we have wasted a lot of money on dross signings in the last 6 years and I personally think its not the amount of money spend which is the main problem, its the fact that is hasn't been spend shrewdly enough.

Would rather Pogba goes than stays if he is going to be half committed. I want decent players here are going to give so much effort they are willing to virtually collapse for the team and be willing to give every last drop of sweat for the team rather than a supremely talented player who only turns up and puts in the full effort when he feels like it. Really hope than when Lukaku goes that he is properly replaced and that Woody doesn't think he doesn't need replacing as he feels we have enough quality in that area already.

I really hope your right when you state that we will definitely sign a new midfielder. If this happens it will have been an acceptable transfer window mate.
I want to give you a better reply but Im pressed for time but I'll get around to it later, I promise!

Just wanted to mention quickly that regarding the "hurr durr" comment, I wasn't aiming at you, sorry if it came across like that, it was not my intention if it did. It was a generalized comment for the posters that are outraged when we don't "just cough up the money" for players we're targeting, of whom there are many. We've had some very bad spends that didn't work out at all. Some to a more varying degree, but players like Memphis Depay and Angel Di Maria stick out as especially bad signings. Alexis Sanchez also sticks out, but to be fair at the time he was pouring in goals like hot tomatoes and we traded a player outright for him. His legacy here would be less provocative if he had a "reasonable" salary in football terms, as opposed to the albatross he carries today.

I feel confident that our gross spend this transfer window (with add-ons) will eclipse £220 million with the addition of Bruno Fernandes and Sean Longstaff (I feel confident the club will get this done, even if Newcastle are playing hardball: their owner Mike Ashley has been trying to sell Newcastle since 2017, Newcastle has virtually no transfer budget of consequence and the club has to sell in order to purchase. I think that a bid of £25 million + 5 in add-ons will get the deal done eventually), solidifying Ed Woodwards earlier comments about supporting the manager in the market.

marktan

Everyone was laughing when VVD went for that high amount.
If true for the 60mil starting then Bruno will be coming too and this would actually be a good window.
Covered RB, CB and CM.. Maybe Sancho comes next year
I think it's a poor window.. for the simple fact we've done nothing for our attack, which imo has been our greatest weakness over the last 3 seasons.

We'll be a better team, but we still won't be near the top ones, all who have 3 top front attackers, whereas we have none (City, Liverpool, Barca, Real, even Spurs).

hubbuh

Revisionist history, Andy Carroll was coming off a very good season with Newcastle
He scored 6 goals in the Premier League during his three year stay at Liverpool (44 games). It's well known he never had the drive, professionalism and application to make it at the very top. By what metric could he not be considered average (average within the context of PL level strikers)?

EDIT. Just remembered Liverpool signed him on Jan 31 after selling Torres.

Allas8

Is the Sun the main source for the "agreed fee"?
Yes, just another example of people wishing something to be true, so they go with it. Thought people would have learned from the De Light saga, but I guess not. Tuanzebe will be our new CB signing for next season btw.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's better than Kurt fecking Zouma.

I posted this earlier in the thread. I'll do it again...

Maguire is right up there with the best distributers in the whole of Europe. His ratio of accurate:inaccurate long balls is ridiculously good.

He's also got the best ratio of successful:unsuccessful aerial battles amongst the top 10 headers in the Premier League.

Basically, if somebody asked you to find a CB who excelled at passing out of the back and dominating aerial balls, Maguire is pretty much the best around. The reason he's going for £70m is because nobody else in Europe is as good as him at the things United require.
Yes, he can head the ball and he can play on it a bit. But everything else is what’s in question. If those specific two things equal £70m of all the things a CB needs to do - £80m now? - then, blimey.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
I don’t think slabhead is worth the 60+20 and I would have rather just get Toby for 30 for two years and go after a target that could develop into a world class cb.

Best of luck and I’m rooting for him but don’t think he’s what we need, if we’re going for high press I think we need more athleticism than pure ability in the air.

Dazzmondo

If Koulibaly was available to purchase and/or interested in a move away then he would be playing somewhere else apart from Napoli.

United, Juventus, City, Bayern, Madrid and Barcelona have all been in the market for a centre half in the past twelve months and Koulibaly remains at Napoli.

If it was do-able then it would be done. It isn’t. Get over it.
Koulibaly has a release clause of £134m. The reason he's still at Napoli is because no club was willing to pay that. Fair in most cases because most teams that could pay that amount don't need a cb that badly. I'm sure it was do-able. Utd decided it wasn't worth the price clearly.

El Zoido

He's better than what we’ve got? In my opinion, yes.

Is he worth £60 + 20 in add ons? I'm not sure. Football has money gone crazy.

Do I need to bother about the fee? Not really. The money is going towards improving the squad, then I’m happy.
Can’t get a decent, established player, for less than than £40m these days. Only value is if you can spot a relatively unknown talent and get in early.

Snafu17

Just a flurry of shit sources so far. This particular bit of news is very likely bullshit.

Kag

Koulibaly has a release clause of £134m. The reason he's still at Napoli is because no club was willing to pay that. Fair in most cases because most teams that could pay that amount don't need a cb that badly. I'm sure it was do-able. Utd decided it wasn't worth the price clearly.
And no club is ever paying £134 million for a central defender. I doubt they ever will as long as I live.

MrSingh2002

De Ligt didn't want to come to us so the fee is irrelevant.

Alderweireld is the strange one as for the release clause I'd definately take him.

James, Maguire and AWB is ok. Just need two midfielders now.

Irwin99

Will improve our defence a lot (especially with Lindelof). We've just got to accept that the price is ridiculous and accept the 'English tax' that comes with these players.

Our defence looks a lot healthier already.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Van Dijk for £75 million.

This club has gone to the dogs.
If someone like Van Dijk was currently available for 80m I'm sure we'd buy him instead, to much complaints from the caf.

You can only get what's on the market. Who is the VVD we're turning down in favour of Maguire?

Sp00ks11

Better to sign no one than blow £80m on Macguire. If you're desperate, Alderweireld for £25m is a more sensible signing.
Good shout on Alderweireld, although he has been a bit injury prone. Would he want to join us? Seems a step down currently. In an ideal world I would take him AND Maguire though. I have rated Maguire since his Hull days.

Infestissumam

I'm interested to see (if this rumour ends up being true) which shrewd CB signing Leicester make to fill Slabhead's void.
Lewis Dunk and James Tarkowski are rumoured as replacements. Hardly shrewd choices IMO, but I do expect Söyüncü to actually kick on this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.