Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I’m well happy with this signing especially if it’s for a base 60 million.

Still no reputable sources reporting it though?

Kag

Unless you're terminally ill and expect to die within a year I'll take that bet because I'm actually certain some team will pay that for a defender in the future. In fact, I'll already predict that that defender will be de Ligt, probably from Juve to Real
The current record is £75 million and even with the purchase of Maguire it might not even reach £80 million. It will take an extremely long time for fees to rise so much, even with inflation.

No club is paying that for Koulibaly; that’s my main point.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Will be interesting if we find out what triggers the £20m worth in add-ons.

£60m by itself isn't as bad as I'd feared, and if we only end up paying the £80m after winning some things then nobody will be that arsed about the added cost if it does some to fruition.
Yeah if it's winning the PL or CL then it's great business by Woody cause Leicester are never getting that money.

Andersons Dietician

This just reeks of someone who plays FM. Half of these don't even meet the same attributes as Maguire.
Thankfully never played FM in my life but ummm what attributes are we specifically looking for? I must have missed the memo United sent out.

Solskjaer - 10th July 2019 “But we're patient, we're Man United, we don't have to sell and don't have to overpay either. You have to have the right players at the right price".

Solskjaer - 14th July 2019 "80m fee agreed for Harry Maguire".

We're paying more for Maguire than was paid for Van Dijk, Militao, De Ligt, Lucas Hernandez. Even more than what was paid for guys like Rodri, N'Dombele, Tielemans and de Jong, all of which would've improved our team massively.

As much as I love Solskjaer, he just doesn't come across as a "tough manager" and we'll continue to play Young, Matic, Lingard, etc. even if they do perform poorly.
You're purposefully missing the fact that the majority of those players wouldn't want to join us in our current position,especially when we'll be in competition against other major more currently successful sides.

Matt007a

These price comparisons are pointless. No one thought VVD would become the best CB in the country almost immediately after moving.

If you compare the Southampton VVD to the Leicester Maguire you’d probably find opinions pretty split on who is better. If VVD was playing at his current level while at Southampton he would have gone for more and quite possibly gone to a different club.

De Ligt is in a different situation all together. Ajax are not as strong financially as Leicester are. They also have an agreement with De Ligt that they will let him move to further his career. Leicester clearly don’t want to sell. Despite having the higher ceiling, he’s only 19 and does make errors which are maybe ignored because of the hype. He is not the finished article and Maguire is.

Alderweireld rumours have never picked up pace. Have we ever considered he doesn’t want to come here?

Motorman

Hindsight is such a magical thing, so it was a certainty that VVD would turn into the player he is today right?

So using your logic no clubs should spend more than £45m on attacking midfielders simply because thats what Liverpool paid for Salah
Id go one further.

Anyone who paid more than the £12.25m we paid for Ronaldo is "mad" because why not sign one of the GOATs instead.

Its been said so many times, a players value depends on many factors, one of which is what is someone willing to pay.

If Leicester dont want to sell, but we want to buy and if 70m will be rejected, but 80m would be accepted, then he will "valued" at 80m at that particular moment.

If we dont match 80m then he wont leave, end of. If we want him more than not having him then I dont see what the fuss is about.

Dazzmondo

Lewis Dunk and James Tarkowski are rumoured as replacements. Hardly shrewd choices IMO, but I do expect Söyüncü to actually kick on this season.
Benkovic seemed to be doing well in Scotland before his injury too. Personally I think Tarkowski is a very good cb and Dunk is good but probably a level below. Depends on the price they'd be paying for them.

Dante

Average bang
No metrics to prove that one?
Try watching him play.

Unfortunately for you, it looks like he'll be doing it in a United shirt next season.

For what it's worth, he's won player of the year at his 3 previous clubs in 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14, 2016-17 and 2017-18.

TheeAma12

Supports
Chelsea
This just reeks of someone who plays FM. Half of these don't even meet the same attributes as Maguire.
They are all better than Maguire. In that list you have some of the world's best young center backs along with a mi of affordable and proven center backs.

In that list you have, passing ability, tackling, reading the game, pace and can defend a set piece. Everyone on that list can do that, the exact samething Maguire can do but is no where near the top level in terms of ability or potential.

Infestissumam

Lucas Hernandez :lol: ffs. I'd buy 3 Harry Maguires for 60m + 20m each before I'd splash 72m on one injury-prone and overrated Hernandez.

walsh

Thankfully never played FM in my life but ummm what attributes are we specifically looking for? I must have missed the memo United sent out.
Is it difficult to work out if we're signing Maguire?

Aerial ability, can bring the ball out of defence. Plus the fact that he's proven in the Prem and won't have to adapt will have been seen as a huge positive.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
100M for fecking maguire!! Fecking hell:houllier::lol: this market is fecked.

United would be stupid to spend that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
DeLigt
Hernandez
Militao
Tah
Koulibaly
Alderweireld
Konaté
Marquinhos
Upamecano

Actually he would have been my 10th option.
I envy you having the time to watch all of the Atletico, Porto, Leverkusen, Napoli, Spurs, Leipzig, PSG and Leicester games necessary to form such a definitive list.

Dazzmondo

The current record is £75 million and even with the purchase of Maguire it might not even reach £80 million. It will take an extremely long time for fees to rise so much, even with inflation.

No club is paying that for Koulibaly; that’s my main point.
People thought the exact same about Pogba and then Coutinho and Neymar. I think it'll happen within 4 seasons. Not for Koulibaly though, his age will take him out of the discussion.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Benkovic seemed to be doing well in Scotland before his injury too. Personally I think Tarkowski is a very good cb and Dunk is good but probably a level below. Depends on the price they'd be paying for them.
you're not getting any of Dunk, Tarkowski or Ake for less than £40m

Infestissumam

DeLigt
Hernandez
Militao
Tah
Koulibaly
Alderweireld
Konaté
Marquinhos
Upamecano

Actually he would have been my 10th option.
De Ligt doesn't want to come, it seems like Alderweireld doesn't either
Koulibaly, Militao and Marquinhos are not available
Konate and Upamecano are not for sale

Maguire is better than the rest.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
They are all better than Maguire. In that list you have some of the world's best young center backs along with a mi of affordable and proven center backs.

In that list you have, passing ability, tackling, reading the game, pace and can defend a set piece. Everyone on that list can do that, the exact samething Maguire can do but is no where near the top level in terms of ability or potential.
Loads* are 29 or over.

They are on their last legs.:p

*Loads=1

SteveW

Bailly is a 25 year old who has struggled a bit with his fitness over the last two years. Why are we so ready to move him on? Between he, Jones and Rojo, Bailly still has the highest ceiling and is younger than the other two by two years. He has needed pace. I’d like the club retain his services to see if he can turn it around once he’s fully fit.
To be totally honest I'd be happy for us to rely on Maguire, Smalling, Lindelof and Tuanzebe going forward. I'd keep Jones as emergency backup and sell Bailly while we still might get some kind of fee for him. Bailly will never be a good defender because he doesn't think like one. His positioning, decision making and general awareness are just about the worst I've seen from a defender at a big club. There are times when he just looks completely lost. The two PSG goals he caused are obvious examples. Saying he isn't used to being a full back is no excuse for being completely lost and asleep. Jones has had injury problems and seems to lack confidence these days but at least he actually looks and thinks like a defender most of the time.

Snafu17

I’m well happy with this signing especially if it’s for a base 60 million.

Still no reputable sources reporting it though?
None, zero, 0. As far as I can tell, this all seems to be based around a report from the Sun and the Duncan Castels and Ian McGarry podcast, which has been fairly to completely unreliable so far this TW.

Status
Not open for further replies.