Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasty

We overpaid for him and he's not exactly my first choice, but he will come in and improve our team, and does not need time to adapt to a new league. He would also bring leadership qualities that we are sorely lacking and the ball playing ability from the back. With him and AWB joining our defense is finally a lot more solid. Need a good DM, another creative midfielder and RW and we will be definite top 4. Don't see us doing all that in two weeks, but it's a good start.

Dante

Average bang
Yes, he can head the ball and he can play on it a bit. But everything else is what’s in question. If those specific two things equal £70m of all the things a CB needs to do - £80m now? - then, blimey.
More than a bit. He's the best defender in Europe at those two metrics combined.

His defending is excellent as well.

Dazzmondo

He scored 6 goals in the Premier League during his three year stay at Liverpool (44 games). It's well known he never had the drive, professionalism and application to make it at the very top. By what metric could he not be considered average (average within the context of PL level strikers)?

EDIT. Just remembered Liverpool signed him on Jan 31 after selling Torres.
Do you not understand the term "revisionist"? Liverpool signed him during a season where he scored 11 goals in just 18 appearances for Newcastle. At the time that might have been debatable among some but there were plenty who thought it was a good deal and that Carroll was one of the top young English talents at the time. The revisionist part means that you can't reference anything he did after he joined Liverpool because we're only referring to the moment when Liverpool decided to sign him and what justification there was for the £35m fee at the time.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

Most expensive defender in the world and aprox. 10 mil more then De Ligt. I hope that the people that rate him as high as they do are correct and he will be the rock our defense needs and bring the much needed ball playing ability from the back. Crazy market or not, he will rightly be compared to VVD and De Ligt. Hope we made a good deal here.

Crashoutcassius

Hopefully our defence sorted and gels this year ... add a cm to replace Ander and next summer trying to get final pieces - a sancho type player. I think a season giving Gomes and Greenwood chances could be a good thing.

Bearded One

I'm game if this wouldn't restrict our attacking signings becuse ideally I'd rather spend close to that kind of momey on a Zah or Everton Soares or even both (if feasible).

Holters

Can’t he get a three month visa as he’s under thirty? Thought they were pretty straightforward to get unless I’m missing something
To be honest, I have no clue about Australian visas, but I doubt they can go to Australia on a tour earning millions of pounds playing football generating corporate revenue (ticket sales, etc) on a tourist visa.

Baily and Rojo will be shown the door but unfortunately for us Carrington has revolving door so they'll likely be offered new contracts while they sit and wait in reception.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Wouldn’t have been my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th choice but if it’s true then hope he does well.

Imagine the back 4 will be something like this.

DDG
Wan Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Smalling and Lindelof to fight it out for the right sided slot and Bailly and Jones probably as back up. Rojo gone, Tuan on loan.
Who would be your 7 choices?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Can’t get a decent, established player, for less than than £40m these days. Only value is if you can spot a relatively unknown talent and get in early.
The club needs success both now and in the near future. Therefore, ready-made experienced players are also needed immediately. Unfortunately, our transfer policy has been pretty much scattergun over a number of years.

SinNombre

At least over here, we should refer to the fee as £60m.

No need to put more pressure on him than needed.

If it gets to £80m, that means we are back winning the league and in Europe.

Motorman

All those saying Maguire for 80 odd million isn't a rip off, you are as mad as the people running our club who are paying that for this guy.

Solid defender, good in the air, would improve us no doubt, but paying more than VVD? And we ask ourselves why people laugh at our club!

Absolute joke.
You think VVD would go for 80m if sold this year?

Infestissumam

Van Dijk for £75 million.

This club has gone to the dogs.
The Southampton VVD was nowhere near the VVD we see today and he wasn't better than Maguire is today either. People really need to stop pointing to the VVD fee and link it to his performances today ... at the time, Liverpool got heavily criticized for the fee by pretty much everybody.

Dazzmondo

He'd scored 17 goals in the championship.

He wasn't even the top scorer at Newcastle, never mind the league.
The transfer happened in January, you going to just conveniently overlook his very impressive record of 11 goals in 18 games? Obviously Liverpool didn't sign him off his form in the Championship, he'd already shown what he could do in the Premier League.

buckooo1978

as much as a cnut as Mourinho was Woodward needs to be slammed for this deal

this was the deal that was vetoed last year wasnt it - Maguire wasnt worth the 70/75m last summer off the back of a good world cup

this year tho?!

Posh Red

To be honest, I have no clue about Australian visas, but I doubt they can go to Australia on a tour earning millions of pounds playing football generating corporate revenue (ticket sales, etc) on a tourist visa.
Yeah me either to be honest. A friend of mine went out there to work and got a visa pretty easy recently, but I think we need to ask someone that actually has a clue :lol:

Dazzmondo

And no club is ever paying £134 million for a central defender. I doubt they ever will as long as I live.
Unless you're terminally ill and expect to die within a year I'll take that bet because I'm actually certain some team will pay that for a defender in the future. In fact, I'll already predict that that defender will be de Ligt, probably from Juve to Real

walsh

There's a real lack of alternatives so I'm happy with this. I really don't think there's much risk in this, at worst he will be better than what we have and a solid performer. At best he will massively improve our defence.

Don't quite understand the negativity around the fee. He's English and Leicester were in a strong bargaining position.

RORY65

Maguire makes Smalling superfluous. The only thing Smalling had going for him was being better in the air than our other centre-backs, but now that's gone. Now we have someone who's good in the air and capable on the ball.
The post you quoted was referring to my query, I would think if anything he makes Lindelof superfluous rather than Smalling. If Ole wants us to press he can't have two centre backs who are relatively slow on turn otherwise he'll have to play a deep backline (De Gea never comes off his line either which also doesn't help). Lindelof and Maguire mostly have the same strengths, albeit Maguire is better in the air, I still think it has to be one of them plus Smalling, who is quicker, which is a concern as I was hoping we'd seen the end of Smalling as a first choice centre back.

hubbuh

I don’t think slabhead is worth the 60+20 and I would have rather just get Toby for 30 for two years and go after a target that could develop into a world class cb.

Best of luck and I’m rooting for him but don’t think he’s what we need, if we’re going for high press I think we need more athleticism than pure ability in the air.
No chance Toby accepts anything other than a 4/5 year contract on seriously massive wages with a big signing on fee. It would have been an issue in a couple of years.

Dolf

60 + 20 isn't bad at all when you consider:

- United tax
- English player tax
- Premier league / direct rival tax
- "We desperately need a CB" tax.

TheeAma12

Supports
Chelsea
United has been taken to the cleaners over this deal. Magquire who has a mistake or two in him, not nearly as consistent last season as he was in hi world cup year and even then he wasn't all that.

United over paid big time on this deal. They are better center backs around Europe, it begs to ask if these clubs are running a scouting department.

Panther

Solskjaer - 10th July 2019 “But we're patient, we're Man United, we don't have to sell and don't have to overpay either. You have to have the right players at the right price".

Solskjaer - 14th July 2019 "80m fee agreed for Harry Maguire".

We're paying more for Maguire than was paid for Van Dijk, Militao, De Ligt, Lucas Hernandez. Even more than what was paid for guys like Rodri, N'Dombele, Tielemans and de Jong, all of which would've improved our team massively.

As much as I love Solskjaer, he just doesn't come across as a "tough manager" and we'll continue to play Young, Matic, Lingard, etc. even if they do perform poorly.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Will be interesting if we find out what triggers the £20m worth in add-ons.

£60m by itself isn't as bad as I'd feared, and if we only end up paying the £80m after winning some things then nobody will be that arsed about the added cost if it does some to fruition.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
And what had Van Dijk actually shown before the scousers bought him?
Liverpool actually got heavily slated on here for spending that on him.
Agree with that. Liverpool took a massive gamble for that price and it just paid off, simple as that. Could have turned out very differently though, you never know.

hubbuh

Do you not understand the term "revisionist"? Liverpool signed him during a season where he scored 11 goals in just 18 appearances for Newcastle. At the time that might have been debatable among some but there were plenty who thought it was a good deal and that Carroll was one of the top young English talents at the time. The revisionist part means that you can't reference anything he did after he joined Liverpool because we're only referring to the moment when Liverpool decided to sign him and what justification there was for the £35m fee at the time.
Do you have to be a patronising wanker about it? The point about his application is still relevant regardless. Everyone knew Liverpool had paid over the odds at the time, the only one revising history here is you.

Status
Not open for further replies.