Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

Is it difficult to work out if we're signing Maguire?

Aerial ability, can bring the ball out of defence. Plus the fact that he's proven in the Prem and won't have to adapt will have been seen as a huge positive.
:lol: What a load of rubbish. You make it seem like those are the only two things a CB does and by the way many on that list can do the same thing.

Snafu17

Alright this ITK muppet has somehow been fairly reliable this summer, so it might be true.

I will be pissed right off if I have to live in a world where the Sun was right about something. Every cnut will now take their word for every dumb, fever dream based, garbage rumor they come up with.

Last edited:

Adamsk7

If true, 60m upfront is a great deal.

English tax
Still youngish (26)
From a Premiership team and proven in the league.

Forget the fact that he’s miles better than any of our other centrebacks, including Lindelof. He’ll come in and be a leader, bring the ball from the back and put his square head on literally any arial ball that comes his way at either end of the pitch.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Solskjaer - 10th July 2019 “But we're patient, we're Man United, we don't have to sell and don't have to overpay either. You have to have the right players at the right price".

Solskjaer - 14th July 2019 "80m fee agreed for Harry Maguire".

We're paying more for Maguire than was paid for Van Dijk, Militao, De Ligt, Lucas Hernandez. Even more than what was paid for guys like Rodri, N'Dombele, Tielemans and de Jong, all of which would've improved our team massively.

As much as I love Solskjaer, he just doesn't come across as a "tough manager" and we'll continue to play Young, Matic, Lingard, etc. even if they do perform poorly.
Ole Gunnar Solskjær does not decide how much money the club spends on a player, nor does he negotiate the deals or approve the deals. He tells Ed Woodward who he wants signed and Ed executes. You're barking at the wrong man.

The market has also inflated a lot the past 2 years much in thanks for the enormous transfers of Coutinho, Neymar and Mbappé, as well as increased value of TV deals in combination with inflation.

We're in the Europa league, that limits who wants to sign for the club. No Sancho due to no CL, and no De Ligt due to no CL. Its as simple as.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Try watching him play.

Unfortunately for you, it looks like he'll be doing it in a United shirt next season.

For what it's worth, he's won player of the year at his 3 previous clubs in 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14, 2016-17 and 2017-18.
Why is that unfortunate for me? I’ve not actually said I didn’t want him or that he was a bad player.

He’s good on the ball, and he’s a monster in the air. The eye test (and the metrics!) prove that.

I think he’ll certainly add something to our team (a respectable improvement on Smalling’s aerial ability + a respectable improvement on Lindelof’s ability on the ball in one player) but beyond that, he’s just as good - or average - a defender from a straight up defensive sense as what we have. He’s not some flawless one-on-one defender. He doesn’t read play innately and make wonderful interceptions without ever having to fall to ground. He’s not positionally sound to ever not get caught out with his custard pace. He’s just, alright. Much like what we have in that sense. That’s the point I’m making.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
So less than a year ago United refused to give Mourinho £65m to sign Maguire. Now they're giving more than that to Solskjaer in order to get him. He wasn't even Leicester's best defender last season and considering the centre-backs you could have gotten instead - probably for slightly less money - this strikes me as an increasingly odd choice. He's a solid second choice for a team with United's ambitions, and I think if we'd picked him up to replace Kompany as a reserve option I'd be pleased, but is this the guy United want to spend tonnes of money on to start their resurgence?

Ok.

ottosec

Insane fee, but I don't think we could have got someone better at this time.

He should improve us instantly.

AWB-Lindelof-Maguire-Shaw is a very strong and relatively young defense.

Hammondo

If true, 60m upfront is a great deal.

English tax
Still youngish (26)
From a Premiership team and proven in the league.

Forget the fact that he’s miles better than any of our other centrebacks, including Lindelof. He’ll come in and be a leader, bring the ball from the back and put his square head on literally any arial ball that comes his way at either end of the pitch.
He's not miles better. He will be found out pretty quickly.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
So less than a year ago United refused to give Mourinho £65m to sign Maguire. Now they're giving more than that to Solskjaer in order to get him. He wasn't even Leicester's best defender last season and considering the centre-backs you could have gotten instead - probably for slightly less money - this strikes me as an increasingly odd choice. He's a solid second choice for a team with United's ambitions, and I think if we'd picked him up to replace Kompany as a reserve option I'd be pleased, but is this the guy United want to spend tonnes of money on to start their resurgence?

Ok.
Yeah because City never spend feckloads on average defenders.

Dazzmondo

Do you have to be a patronising wanker about it? The point about his application is still relevant regardless. Everyone knew Liverpool had paid over the odds at the time, the only one revising history here is you.
It was debated whether he was worth the price just as it is and will continue to be debated whether Maguire is worth the price. The point is the situations aren't as different as you make out and your point about his "application" is nonsense. What did they have to go off on that? He was just a young kid who was doing well at the time. There were certainly those who doubted he was ready to be the leading man for Liverpool but they weren't doubting his attitude, desire or drive at the time.

walsh

:lol: What a load of rubbish. You make it seem like those are the only two things a CB does and by the way many on that list can do the same thing.
Am I, or am I suggesting the attributes which Ole has clearly prioritised when searching for a new centre back?

This is a pointless discussion as your list doesn't even account for whether players are available.

roseguy64

Smalling....Jones plays in front of him if he's not injured, that's how bad Smalling is. Harry is significantly better than both and the problem is VVD fee as created a problem where people are comparing that fee then and not what VVD is worth now. If Liverpool were to sell him now, he cost 40m more than they paid for him or in principle the fee for Harry is about right in today's market.
When does Jones play in front of him? Smalling's played the most and been our most reliable CB since Vidic/Rio. The only place Jones plays before him is England and Jones isn't a starter there plus that's due to the England manager not liking him whereas numerous Man Utd managers do.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
This just reeks of someone who plays FM. Half of these don't even meet the same attributes as Maguire.
but they aren't English so we must over rated them. Here's the thing that many people don't seem to get. With Maguire we have a player who will likely want to stay at United for as long as he possibly can. With that list many of them may see United as a stepping stone before getting their dream move to Barca or Real Madrid...

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He wasn't even Leicester's best defender last season and considering the centre-backs you could have gotten instead - probably for slightly less money - this strikes me as an increasingly odd choice.
Who?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
90 mil euros for Harry Maguire? :lol::lol::lol:. Madness. We overpayed at least double for him.

If this is true, of course

BlueHaze

If that report is true then I wonder what the bonuses of £20m will be. Obligatory bonus or performance based bonuses. £80m is an incredibly hefty price tag for someone that was bought for £17m two years ago. Either way I won't complain if he comes in. I'd play him alongside Axel. Not a fan of Lindelöf at all and would even get rid of him this summer if there were potential buyers.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Will be interesting if we find out what triggers the £20m worth in add-ons.

£60m by itself isn't as bad as I'd feared, and if we only end up paying the £80m after winning some things then nobody will be that arsed about the added cost if it does some to fruition.
Probably 10m for CL qualification next season, and 10m for league title within next 4 years.

Andersons Dietician

De Ligt doesn't want to come, it seems like Alderweireld doesn't either
Koulibaly, Militao and Marquinhos are not available
Konate and Upamecano are not for sale

Maguire is better than the rest.
Again people struggling with understanding, “wouldn’t have been my first choice” key word “my” so when asked what were the 7 I (again a key word there) would have preferred I provided a sample of people I’ve seen on and off over the last 2-3 years.

MisterLupus

Good news for sure! He reminds me a lot of Pallister - and I rate Gary among the best to have ever played in our defense. With him and Wan Bissaka we're already twice the team we were last year defensively and they both have qualities that will help our domination further up the pitch as well. 80 millions though... That made my ballsack shrink then throb painfully for a bit I must admit :eek: but he's professional and ambitious plus already a proven success - also we get him in his prime - so there's all that. Oh well it's not my money - so I'm just looking forward to seeing him perform :drool:

Tiber

Good. feck the fee and how much it takes out of the Glazers dividends, if this is the CB Ole wants get the deal done asap and get him on the tour

Andersons Dietician

Am I, or am I suggesting the attributes which Ole has clearly prioritised when searching for a new centre back?

This is a pointless discussion as your list doesn't even account for whether players are available.
You should maybe try reading the original question which prompted the list before getting involved then and trying to act the big man with a snide comment.

Never mind that somehow you seem to know what Ole wants or has prioritised as attributes he wants where the rest of us haven’t been informed of that.

I’ll guess you’re just blowing at windmills and taking a guess when for all we know Ole could be settling because others aren’t available like Kouilbaly or DeLigt who have different attributes from Maguire.

Just because someone isn’t a towering presence in the air doesn’t mean that their other attributes won’t possibly benefit us more.

The truth is you have no idea what Ole wants and are guessing.

Last edited:

Dazzmondo

I don't think they would. They sold Keane for around that 2 years ago and Tawkowski has done just as well.
Keane was younger though and I think an England international (I could be wrong on that). I also think that, while Tarkowski has done well, Keane was hyped a lot more at the time than Tarkowski is.

Kostur

海尔的老板

Ok.
Yes, it's that fecking stupid and is yet another masterstroke by Woodward by the looks of it. It only indicates that we won't get out of the shit we're currently in in any foreseeable future.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
If we do ok next season, the transfer fee will become irrelevant. Next.

On to Fernandes.

Kostur

海尔的老板
but they aren't English so we must over rated them. Here's the thing that many people don't seem to get. With Maguire we have a player who will likely want to stay at United for as long as he possibly can. With that list many of them may see United as a stepping stone before getting their dream move to Barca or Real Madrid...
Like Jones for example? Well then we're blessed.

::sonny::

He is not on VVD level, but

Insane fee, but I don't think we could have got someone better at this time.

He should improve us instantly.

AWB-Lindelof-Maguire-Shaw is a very strong and relatively young defense.
Agreed

walsh

Keane was younger though and I think an England international (I could be wrong on that). I also think that, while Tarkowski has done well, Keane was hyped a lot more at the time than Tarkowski is.
Tarkowski is a current England player mate. I agree Keane was maybe hyped slightly more but the market has gone insane from even 2 years ago.

Infestissumam

90 mil euros for Harry Maguire? :lol::lol::lol:. Madness. We overpayed at least double for him.

If this is true, of course
if we pay €90m that means all the add-ons have been met, in which case we probably won titles and have Maguire hit several milestones.

rumour is €67m up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.