Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
So less than a year ago United refused to give Mourinho £65m to sign Maguire. Now they're giving more than that to Solskjaer in order to get him. He wasn't even Leicester's best defender last season and considering the centre-backs you could have gotten instead - probably for slightly less money - this strikes me as an increasingly odd choice. He's a solid second choice for a team with United's ambitions, and I think if we'd picked him up to replace Kompany as a reserve option I'd be pleased, but is this the guy United want to spend tonnes of money on to start their resurgence?

Ok.
How much have City spent on their defence??

Andersons Dietician

No, but when you say "Wouldn’t have been my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th" it comes across a certain way.
That he wouldn’t have been my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th choice? How else does that come across. Simply put I would have rather had others infront of him but he is now one of the only few available that we have a chance with so it is what it is. If we get him I hope he excels here.

redshaw

Good deal

We weren't going to get him for a flat 60m. 60 plus 20 mill addons, feels like were arguing the toss over 10 mill. We need some decent players and Bissaka and Maguire should be what we need to stop sliding down the table and go for a solid top 4 this season.

SapperBRed75

Jesus Christ. This is our equivalent of Liverpool paying £35m for Andy Carroll.

Decent player, but come on...
Is it? I don’t understand your comparison. Carroll to Liverpool was panic buying with the Torres money at the end of the window. Even in the context of the Torres sale, £35M was expensive, everyone knew it and Newcastle knew they could demand it because the scousers had the money and a gap up front with the window closing. We are looking for an improvement on what we have - there are alternatives on the market, we have a surplus of CBs and plenty of time left in the window.

LoCalXT

I think it's a poor window.. for the simple fact we've done nothing for our attack, which imo has been our greatest weakness over the last 3 seasons.

We'll be a better team, but we still won't be near the top ones, all who have 3 top front attackers, whereas we have none (City, Liverpool, Barca, Real, even Spurs).
Agreed but I always thought the reason our attack is bad is because the defense can't be relied upon. Mourinho would limit the attackers to be in position to track back rather than play free flowi g because he knew the defense was shaky.
Ole came in and we played more freely but defense was still an issue and hopefully AWB and Slabhead can provide a bit of stability so we can attack more freely.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Good player, not great but better than what we have. Mad fee, but we need a CB and it'd be suicide to come out of this summer without a CB.

My main concern is a pairing of Lindelof and Maguire would be pretty slow.

Dazzmondo

Tarkowski is a current England player mate. I agree Keane was maybe hyped slightly more but the market has gone insane from even 2 years ago.
Hasn't he only played in 2 friendlies? If he's played in a competitive game for England fair enough but I didn't think he had

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
My biggest problem with this transfer is that we spend 80 mil while we get just marginally better. I dont see Maguire million times better than Smalling. Spendig 80 mil on a right winger would make a massive difference.
Exactly this, it's a poor use of capital. Spending £80m should make us significantly better as a team. Signing Macguire will net us what? Maybe 3-4 extra points a season?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
To be totally honest I'd be happy for us to rely on Maguire, Smalling, Lindelof and Tuanzebe going forward. I'd keep Jones as emergency backup and sell Bailly while we still might get some kind of fee for him. Bailly will never be a good defender because he doesn't think like one. His positioning, decision making and general awareness are just about the worst I've seen from a defender at a big club. There are times when he just looks completely lost. The two PSG goals he caused are obvious examples. Saying he isn't used to being a full back is no excuse for being completely lost and asleep. Jones has had injury problems and seems to lack confidence these days but at least he actually looks and thinks like a defender most of the time.
Exactly...Bailley is not a good defender. We had to take him off in that PSG game. Young was having to tell him how to defend. Let that sink in.

AJ10

AWB-Lindelof-Maguire-Shaw.

Looks good imo, Hopefully no more chuckle brothers.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Yeah because City never spend feckloads on average defenders.
That's not really my point, though. The money is immaterial to clubs with as much spending power as United, City, PSG, etc. but that £60-80m, however much it is, could have gone on cheaper centre halves who are just as good as Maguire, if not better.

Is there anything about Maguire's game to suggest that he's the guy United need to build their defence around for the next five years? Is he really that much better than Ake, Tarkowski, Alderweireld, or Michael Keane who you let go a few years ago? And would any of them have cost upwards of £60m?

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Oh, so it takes money to do that then?? Make your mind up.
It's not the money spent that's the issue for United here. As I've said, the money is immaterial. But by spending £80m on Maguire you've basically stated that he's the guy to build your defence around for the next few years. Is he good enough for that kind of role? I'm not sure.

TheeAma12

Supports
Chelsea
Not really, just the defence who's had by far the easiest time.
Hate to be the one to say this but City' defense signings hasn't cost more than 50m per player. They got rid of all their fullbacks after Pep's first season and replaced them. They then went out and brought in one o the best young defenders in La liga(Laporte) While bringing in Stones. Say what you want, they have 4 quality CB to choose from along with good fullback options. Though they are a bit weak on the left fullback position.

The question you have to ask yourself is, City's record signing is Mahrez at around 60m why is it that United is constantly over spending on players when their rival is spending just as much but is getting more quality. City will spend 200m and bring in 4 players united would spend 200m and bring in 2 players.

Laporte cost city 50m, Maguire costing you guys 80m. laporte is the better purchase. Better value for money.

That's what's been holding united back, the value per pound is not there.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I mean he is obviously better than Jones, and has a good chance of being very good for us.

What do you suggest as an alternative approach for the club?
Not splashing idiotic amounts of money on players who might be slightly better than our current options? As much as I dislike Jones I don't think, if they can even be compared, that Maguire at his peak could beat the crock's peak, which honestly is worrying. Robin pretty much said it, we were allegedly in for him a year ago when Mourinho was crying for a new defender and people were very happy with 'Woodward saying no to Mourinho's bullshit' and 'standing up to Mourinho' because Maguire wouldn't be much of an upgrade and we still have Baillys and Lindelofs of the world. A year later we're seemingly paying more for the same player.

I mean, no matter which way you look at this shit it just doesn't make any sense. It's not an approach unless we go with a scattergun one.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Like Jones for example? Well then we're blessed.
If our "stars" played with the same "do or die" attitude that Jones has we would be a lot better off than we have been. Jones may not be good enough to be a starter week in and week out, but I would take him in our squad any day over a bunch of primadonnas that couldn't give a feck about the team. Jones is United through and through and a good option as our 4th or 5th defender...

hubbuh

It was debated whether he was worth the price just as it is and will continue to be debated whether Maguire is worth the price. The point is the situations aren't as different as you make out and your point about his "application" is nonsense. What did they have to go off on that? He was just a young kid who was doing well at the time. There were certainly those who doubted he was ready to be the leading man for Liverpool but they weren't doubting his attitude, desire or drive at the time.
I disagree, I remember everyone saying Liverpool overpaid 'cos it was January deadline day, they were flush after selling Torres and desperate, but can't be arsed to take this further.

dutchred

AWB-Lindelof-Maguire-Shaw.

Looks good imo, Hopefully no more chuckle brothers.
Who do we get rid of?
Assume Axel will stay
then we have
Jones, Bailly, Smalling and Rojo. At least 3 should go. But who will buy them?

Amarsdd

I posted this in the transfer tweet thread but its more pertinent here.

I’m all for Maguire for £60+20 (if its true) and to be honest I expected it to be £90+ given Leicster don’t need to sell, Maguire is not pushing for the move and him being a regular English starter and has been one of the very few consistent defenders over the last 2-3 years. I always think defenders should be more about reliability than exceptional talent. And to be fair we did try to sign exceptional talents like De Ligt and Koulibaly but well it didn’t work. And also its not the time to sign some young defenders from some other league even if he’s talented. Its very difficult to adapt to the premier league and even harder when when you’re young. So right now I would rather take a Maguire who has 90% chance of being a reliable player here than someone like Saliba orJoachim Anderson or some other young defender who has a maybe a 40% chance to be reliable here right away.

Kostur

海尔的老板
If our "stars" played with the same "do or die" attitude that Jones has we would be a lot better off than we have been. Jones may not be good enough to be a starter week in and week out, but I would take him in our squad any day over a bunch of primadonnas that couldn't give a feck about the team. Jones is United through and through and a good option as our 4th or 5th defender...
If you had more Joneses in our squad we'd find it difficult to field a fit starting XI due to his amazing injury record. He doesn't give a feck about the club either, no idea where you've got the 'United through and through' idea from really. It's just that there's nobody stupid enough to pay the kind of wages for a permacrock with constant brain freezes which lead to massive blunders. We've given him an extension instead.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Good player, not great but better than what we have. Mad fee, but we need a CB and it'd be suicide to come out of this summer without a CB.

My main concern is a pairing of Lindelof and Maguire would be pretty slow.
Speed is overrated in the middle. And it's not like they can't move. They are plenty fast enough. But where speed is needed is on the flanks. Defensive awareness is what's key in the middle...

SapperBRed75

For about the 10th time in this thread, Manchester United would obviously like to sign a better defender for 80 million, De Ligt for example, however we are just not currently attractive to the TOP tier players. I really don't know how many times this needs to be repeated. There is a difference between real world signings and Football Manager signings! Maguire is the best realistic defender we can currently sign, if you know of someone better who is available and willing to join United I am all ears.

Maguire displaces Jones or Smalling from our lineup that is worth 80 million alone.
Yep, this. Objective #1 is top four and Slabhead improves us at CB. £60m + add ons is decent business especially since he apparently really wants to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.