Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

finneh

The problem we have is this, he'll no doubt command a fee of at least 60m (probably a lot more) and at a time when De Ligt is seemingly moving for 65m do we really want to pay a similar fee for an inferior player? If you dont like the De Ligt comparison another way of looking at it would be paying VVD money for an inferior player.

I dont doubt Maguire would improve our defence but this paying top money for only good players surely has to stop?

I'm of the opinion that unless we can get the best we should give Tuanzebe a chance. Next season is already a write off in terms of any challenging for anything so what do we have to loose?
The difference will be in salaries. De Ligt is playing the top teams against each other and would command maybe £13m per year. McGuire on the other hand would probably command £7m per year.

I'm not sold on McGuire though as I can't see him forming a good partnership with Lindelof. I think they have similar strengths and similar weaknesses and we'll end up with a situation similar to England whereby we sacrifice a lot of defensive solidarity for this mythical "ball playing" defence. City get away with this because their opposition rarely have the ball (plus Fernandinho), but United aren't going to have that luxury. Alderweireld is a better option in my book as whilst being good with the ball at his feet he's a far, far more solid defender. He's also more experienced which I think with the timid De Gea and young players like Shaw/Lindelof and potentially Wan-Bassaka he'd be a better fit.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Consistency is something that every professional needs to have to be the best they can be.

Harry Maguire is very consistent. He would absolutely be worth £60m now. I'd be over the moon with him at UTD. Obviously Koulibaly or De Ligt would be the best we could hope for but Maguire is gettable and would be as good as any at bringing the ball out from the back and as a defender he would easily be our best and would compliment Lindelof very well. I dont get why people would be against him coming us.
Actually I would say consistency is his biggest weakness right now.

On his day he's a monster, arguably the second best central defender in the league. Very solid defensively, imperious in the air, a real leader and great at bringing the ball out from the back. The big question mark over him (along with pace but that can be helped with a fast partner) is he does make too many defensive mistakes, particularly getting caught out of position and letting people run off him.

I've liked him since his Hull days and I would have liked to pick him up from there, but his price tag now is very risky as we don't know whether he will take that step up or not. If he significantly reduces the amount of mistakes he makes, he's easily worth it. If not, it's a lot of money for somebody that is Jones-like in terms of defence (although obviously without the injuries and far better with the ball and leadership). £60m would be fine, but it'd probably take £80m or so to make Leicester sell.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yeah lets completely ignore the logic you used.
Lets try answering that. At Istanbul Maldini was already 36 at the time, Stam was 33 and Nesta while being just 29 had already had his share of injuries. Its no surprise therefore that an old defence got a thrashing at the second half by a young side who was far more physical and faster then it was.

However don't let me stopping you from comparing Maguire with Maldini or Stam.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The issue is trying to buy players off teams who don't need to sell, so the price will automatically be hiked up. I was actually impressed with him yesterday, probably because Stones was absent.

Fosu-Mens

I think Aldeweireld would be most sensible option. I don't think splashing £70m on CB is a smart thing to do right now when we have so many more urgent positions to fix.
Get a team that is good enough to get CL-qual next season (assuming our manager is not incompetent), then spend big money on the likes of Sancho.

Alderweireld, Meunier, Ziyech, Rabiot, Barella.

Enigma_87

You know who
Well this summer the obvious answer to me would be to promote Tuanzebe. The solution shouldn't always be who can we buy
Nah, pinning the entire season to somebody who is literally a question mark isn't the way forward. Smalling and Jones are well injury prone as well(and also suck). We can be really short in the CB department when Christmas comes.
I think Aldeweireld would be most sensible option. I don't think splashing £70m on CB is a smart thing to do right now when we have so many more urgent positions to fix.
Yeah Toby is also a nice option, but depends whether he wants to move and be available. As it is, and considering he's 30, I don't see what we can offer him more than Spurs right away - apart from salary that is. Next year he will have CL, better manager, better squad most likely and bigger chance to play CL the year after next.

Enigma_87

You know who
The issue is trying to buy players off teams who don't need to sell, so the price will automatically be hiked up. I was actually impressed with him yesterday, probably because Stones was absent.
He's a very good player, not sure why he's rinsed around here. Stones is much more prone to mistake than him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Nah, pinning the entire season to somebody who is literally a question mark isn't the way forward. Smalling and Jones are well injury prone as well(and also suck). We can be really short in the CB department when Christmas comes.
Everyone is a question mark, De Ligt could be a question mark, Maguire would be a question mark. If you're against taking a risk then stick with Smalling and Jones because you know what you'll get from both of those

Enigma_87

You know who
Everyone is a question mark, De Ligt could be a question mark, Maguire would be a question mark. If you're against taking a risk then stick with Smalling and Jones because you know what you'll get from both of those
You mean being crap and injured? Isn't this the reason why we're looking for a CB?

We could still promote Tuanzebe if whoever we buy doesn't work. But at least we will have a plan B, rather than pin it on permacroks and youth.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sorry sir but the "utter shimmering nonsense bollox claxon" has gone off with this lazy nonsense.

Smalling has averaged 42 appearances this last 4 years.

Hardly injury prone is it?
Will you admit peddling bs?

charlenefan

You mean being crap and injured? Isn't this the reason why we're looking for a CB?

We could still promote Tuanzebe if whoever we buy doesn't work. But at least we will have a plan B, rather than pin it on permacroks and youth.
Indeed. At least they're not a question mark which is seemingly what you want to avoid

Enigma_87

You know who
Sorry sir but the "utter shimmering nonsense bollox claxon" has gone off with this lazy nonsense.

Smalling has averaged 42 appearances this last 4 years.

Hardly injury prone is it?
Will you admit peddling bs?
Smalling in the crap department, Jones in the crock department.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Indeed. At least they're not a question mark which is seemingly what you want to avoid
All CB's make mistakes, Varane, Koulibaly all of them. Jones can be good, but injury wise he is unreliable and his brainfarts are usually comical. Smalling just look scared most of the time. As I have said before I am wary of what might happen to him and VAR.

Wheato

I think the thing that astounds me the most about our transfer dealings is that we narrow all options for a decent central defender down to three 80m+ signings. The narrative seems to be, "Oh, well Liverpool spent big on Van Dyke, so that's what we have to do!" We should be a step ahead of Leicester and Southampton, getting these players in before they have a price tag of 80m. The other thing is, are we really saying that other than De Ligt, Maguire and Koulibally, that there are no other defenders in world football that can improve us. Nobody else? Really? Alderweireld for 25m is a steal. Even at 30, he has 4/5 good seasons left in him. He hasn't had any injuries for 15 months, so he's not a crock, either.

Enigma_87

You know who
All CB's make mistakes, Varane, Koulibaly all of them. Jones can be good, but injury wise he is unreliable and his brainfarts are usually comical. Smalling just look scared most of the time. As I have said before I am wary of what might happen to him and VAR.
That's another important aspect. Jones, Smalling, Rojo, etc will be more closely monitored in the box due to VAR. Not saying that Maguire won't of course but to me is less prone to make a cock up.

Shaidabdullah Hussain

Maguire is a fantastic player and will add a bit of leadership to our backline, not mentioning that he is comfortable better than what we have got. Don’t understand what so many on here have against him.

I agree the price is very high, but given that palace are asking 70 for AWB, and Napoli 100 (!) for Koulibaly, I’m afraid that is just the current market.

Last edited:

charlenefan

I'm not sure I get your point.

Are you happy with our CB's right now?
My point is the only players who don't have a question mark over them are those already at the club. Obviously they're not good enough but if you rule out promoting Tuanzebe over spending 60m+ on Maguire because Tuanzebe is too much of a question mark my argument is Maguire is also a question mark

Paying VVD money should get you a player of that ability, if you're being asked to pay that money and you're not getting a player of that ability we should look at other solutions (not necessarily those that involve spending money)

Enigma_87

You know who
My point is the only players who don't have a question mark over them are those already at the club. Obviously they're not good enough but if you rule out promoting Tuanzebe over spending 60m+ on Maguire because Tuanzebe is too much of a question mark my argument is Maguire is also a question mark

Paying VVD money should get you a player of that ability, if you're being asked to pay that money and you're not getting a player of that ability we should look at other solutions (not necessarily those that involve spending money)
Maguire is one of the top CB's around that are attainable(even tough at a higher price).

Tuanzebe might not end up as a CB at the end, he's way too raw at this point.

Yes obviously the ones we can buy might not make it, but the reason why we're on the market for them is that the ones that are already at the club are not good enough, or crocked (Jones, Rojo).

devilish

Unless we can get a top CB then I'd rather see us invest in other areas instead. Lets secure a top RB (AWB?), a decent DM (Rodri?) and maybe sign a decent CB on cheap (Joachim Andersen?) and see how things would work at that point. If next season we qualify to the CL then we would be in a better position to add a top CB.

Matt007a

Maguire is a fantastic player and will add a bit of leadership to our backline, not mentioning that he is comfortable better than what we have got. Don’t understand what so many on here have against him.

I agree the price is very high, but given that palace are asking 70 for AWB, and Napoli 100 (!) for Koulibaly, I’m afraid that is just the current market.
I agree. I think he's a good player who would improve us at the back instantly. It's a lot of money but that's the world we live in. Teams don't have to sell to stay afloat financially anymore. Then Woodward in his infinite wisdom advertises that we can spend like no one else every year, which inflates the price again. There's no avoiding it, so just get it done!

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I think his influence on the rest of the defence would be huge. There's no leader in that defence at the moment and he'd be it. He's the right age profile as well. Him and Lindelof could be a top partnership and both are good on the ball too.

Ferguson built his great sides on a quality back 5 that pretty much picked itself.

charlenefan

Unless we can get a top CB then I'd rather see us invest in other areas instead. Lets secure a top RB (AWB?), a decent DM (Rodri?) and maybe sign a decent CB on cheap (Joachim Andersen?) and see how things would work at that point. If next season we qualify to the CL then we would be in a better position to add a top CB.
It does feel like we're in a summer where no one wants to join us (De Ligt, Maguire might even choose City over us, Maddison has said he wants to stay at Leicester, AWB said he'll be at Palace next season) so it does feel like this season will all be about scrapping a 4th place finish to put us in a better position for players next summer

devilish

It does feel like we're in a summer where no one wants to join us (De Ligt, Maguire might even choose City over us, Maddison has said he wants to stay at Leicester, AWB said he'll be at Palace next season) so it does feel like this season will all be about scrapping a 4th place finish to put us in a better position for players next summer
If that's the case then maybe we should bring in potential and then work up from there. I'd rather see us get players like AWB, Joachim Andersen, Van De Beek, Pepe/Bergwijn/Zijech then overspend on players who are clearly not WC and who would only come here for the money.

Roboc7

I think the thing that astounds me the most about our transfer dealings is that we narrow all options for a decent central defender down to three 80m+ signings. The narrative seems to be, "Oh, well Liverpool spent big on Van Dyke, so that's what we have to do!" We should be a step ahead of Leicester and Southampton, getting these players in before they have a price tag of 80m. The other thing is, are we really saying that other than De Ligt, Maguire and Koulibally, that there are no other defenders in world football that can improve us. Nobody else? Really? Alderweireld for 25m is a steal. Even at 30, he has 4/5 good seasons left in him. He hasn't had any injuries for 15 months, so he's not a crock, either.
I agree we should be able to find other options and it wouldn’t take a world record fee for a defender to improve our defence.

The time to buy Maguire was when he left Hull, would have been cheaper than Lindelof. Now he isn’t for sale and would cost significantly more than VVD despite not being anywhere near as good. We should be able to identify and sign other options.

Fosu-Mens

Which is what the club aims to do.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lets try answering that. At Istanbul Maldini was already 36 at the time, Stam was 33 and Nesta while being just 29 had already had his share of injuries. Its no surprise therefore that an old defence got a thrashing at the second half by a young side who was far more physical and faster then it was.

However don't let me stopping you from comparing Maguire with Maldini or Stam.
Hey come up with more excuse for 2004 Deportivo game too.

Do you want me to list the games where very defense with very good CBs conceded many goals?

So I compared Maguire with Maldini, this is how the random argument starts. Make up a imaginary point, argue against that for sometime.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Maguire is a very good CB but I think that he would be a bit of a ‘meh’ signing for two reasons:
  1. He clearly isn’t our first-choice target for CB (Koulibaly and de Ligt)
  2. What’s more, Maguire isn’t at Koulibaly’s level – and when you factor in de Ligt’s age, de Ligt should go on to be a far better player than Maguire.
  3. He would cost a LOT (£70-80m).
But having said that - he’s PL proven, fantastic in the air, a threat at set-pieces and good with the ball at his feet. He would massively improve the defence.

We can’t stand still. If we can’t get our targets, I hope we do go for Maguire.
Agree with this.

This time last year we were in the same situation. Can't get our main targets, and the value of our alternatives are shocking. Last year we decided to leave it, and the season that followed was miserable.

The landscape isn't kind to us at the minute, but we have to bite the bullet. We absolutely cannot go into next season with the same defence. It can't happen. Suicide it is.

devilish

Hey come up with more excuse for 2004 Deportivo game too.

Do you want me to list the games where very defense with very good CBs conceded many goals?

So I compared Maguire with Maldini, this is how the random argument starts. Make up a imaginary point, argue against that for sometime.
AC Milan fielded a defence made up of Cafu (34), Maldini (35), Pancaro (33) and Nesta in the wrong end of his 20s. Are you surprised that they were overrun?

Those 2 games are clear examples of why pace is important in defence. No matter how experienced and great a defender can be, if he's slow then he'll end up fried. The same happened to Dolly and Daisy against Barcelona, AC Milan against LVG's Ajax or Baresi against a young Vieri. Which is why its not a good idea having Maguire and Lindelof as our CB's pair.

The only thing you can compare Maguire and Maldini upon is pace. I mean the current Maldini is probably as slow as Maguire is.

humdinger

He’s super expensive but he’d be our best centre back if we bought him. If De Ligt isn’t interested and Koulibally is even more expensive then he’s a good alternative.

roonster09

Scout
AC Milan fielded a defence made up of Cafu (34), Maldini (35), Pancaro (33) and Nesta in the wrong end of his 20s. Are you surprised that they were overrun?

Those 2 games are clear examples of why pace is important in defence. No matter how experienced and great a defender can be, if he's slow then he'll end up fried. The same happened to Dolly and Daisy against Barcelona, AC Milan against LVG's Ajax or Baresi against a young Vieri.

The only thing you can compare Maguire and Maldini upon is pace. I mean the current Maldini is probably as slow as Maguire is.
So more excuses for why the defense conceded but somehow England losing when Maguire is playing means Maguire's leadership should be questioned.

Nesta wrong end of his 20s :lol:

Again, I didn't compare Maguire and Maldini, I compared your hilarious logic. Like I said, imaginary arguments and then keep repeating the same thing.

devilish

So more excuses for why the defense conceded but somehow England losing when Maguire is playing means Maguire's leadership should be questioned.

Nesta wrong end of his 20s :lol:

Again, I didn't compare Maguire and Maldini, I compared your hilarious logic. Like I said, imaginary arguments and then keep repeating the same thing.
You asked me what went wrong in those games and I answered to you. 3/4 of AC Milan's defence against Deportivo was 33 years +. I very much doubt that any leader can make them run faster can they? However the current England's side is different. There are quite some pacey players there who only need some adequate leadership to be half decent.

roonster09

Scout
You asked me what went wrong in those games and I answered to you. 3/4 of AC Milan's defence against Deportivo was 33 years +. I very much doubt that any leader can make them run faster can they? However the current England's side is different. There are quite some pacey players there who only need some adequate leadership to be half decent.
Yeah pace and leadership is all that is needed, nothing to do with defensive ability, team defending as a team.

We have lost shit loads of games with Rio and Vidic at their peak, doesn't mean they lacked leadership. We also were completely dominated in midfield with Keane playing, doesn't mean he was lacking leadership. I have no idea how you even concluded England losing to Croatia and Netherlands as something against Maguire

Going by your logic, great CBs shouldn't lose a game at all.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah pace and leadership is all that is needed, nothing to do with defensive ability, team defending as a team.

We have lost shit loads of games with Rio and Vidic at their peak, doesn't mean they lacked leadership. We also were completely dominated in midfield with Keane playing, doesn't mean he was lacking leadership. I have no idea how you even concluded England losing to Croatia and Netherlands as something against Maguire

Going by your logic, great CBs shouldn't lose a game at all.
He must have forgotten the time we beat AC Milan 7-2 on aggregate in 2010 in the CL. They had Thiago Silva and Nesta in that defence.

roonster09

Scout
He must have forgotten the time we beat AC Milan 7-2 on aggregate in 2010 in the CL. They had Thiago Silva and Nesta in that defence.
Exactly.

Rating or not rating player is fine, coming up with silly posts to downplay player is just hilarious.

passing-wind

There's no question that Maguire is better than any of our existing defenders it's just the fee demanded that's a negative aspect.

But who is the alternative we haven't shown interest in Skriniar ? De Ligt interest is two years too late. He would be a good addition to the squad, don't want to see Jones playing for us again next season.

SirAF

Ageist
There's no question that Maguire is better than any of our existing defenders it's just the fee demanded that's a negative aspect.

But who is the alternative we haven't shown interest in Skriniar ? De Ligt interest is two years too late. He would be a good addition to the squad, don't want to see Jones playing for us again next season.
Agreed.

I think Skriniar is a complete no go due to Inter not wanting to sell. I suppose the only alternative that has been touted around is Koulibaly unless they are going for a more «unknown» quantity.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I just don't see it with Maguire. He's decent don't get me wrong, but as shown for England he still struggles to defend at times and his form for Leicester has been patchy (not a good 1st half of the season). We'd be getting ripped off, hes not worth that money. Joachim Andersen would be a cheaper option, he's younger and passes the ball better. He's the player I would go for, he'd be significantly cheaper too, granted he wouldn't bring the goals that Maguire does, but if we're looking for players comfortable on the ball he's the one we should be looking at.

I'm probably biased though because i've watched Maguire a fair bit and although he's better than most English defenders at passing the ball, he's still sloppy at times and defense wise can be erratic. I'd go for him if he was cheaper, but his valuation is absurd.

roonster09

Scout
I just don't see it with Maguire. He's decent don't get me wrong, but as shown for England he still struggles to defend at times and his form for Leicester has been patchy (not a good 1st half of the season). We'd be getting ripped off, hes not worth that money. Joachim Andersen would be a cheaper option, he's younger and passes the ball better. He's the player I would go for, he'd be significantly cheaper too, granted he wouldn't bring the goals that Maguire does, but if we're looking for players comfortable on the ball he's the one we should be looking at.

I'm probably biased though because i've watched Maguire a fair bit and although he's better than most English defenders at passing the ball, he's still sloppy at times and defense wise can be erratic. I'd go for him if he was cheaper, but his valuation is absurd.
Yeah his valuation is absurd and that's the problem if we are signing any player from PL. Even clubs like Crystal palace can reject 50 million for a RB.

Btw apart from decent defending, passing Maguire is also very good dribbler and arguable best in the league when it comes to heading the ball. He wins around 78% of Aerial duels, which if i'm not wrong is the best in the league (of maybe in top 5 leagues). I like him, imo very good CB and as a complete package he is very good. Shame about the price though.

Status
Not open for further replies.