Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suvvernmanc

Because he is more of the same mediocrity that we already have.

Harry Maguire is fine if as a club you want battle Wolves and Everton for 6th place .
If we are going to be a real force again then the Maguire , Smalling and Jones of this world , need to be at or stay at other clubs.
If he goes to city, no doubt you'll be the first one to moan how we didn't go for him.

Maguire is the same level as Jones.? Do your eyes work?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
So is he better than what we already have at CB then?
Probably in a lot of aspects - heading, playing out and driving out from the back. I’m not convinced he’s top level though and for the money we’d have to pay, it’s a risky one.

Negative Red

Maguire is a decent defender and better than what we have but I wouldn't be paying £80 million for him. His lack of pace alongside Lindelöf would be a concern. We definitely need a centre back and there's not many obvious candidates though. I hope we don't end up panicking in August.

Ban

Probably in a lot of aspects - heading, playing out and driving out from the back. I’m not convinced he’s top level though and for the money we’d have to pay, it’s a risky one.
Asking cause a move for him was overruled last year.

reelworld

Get him if we can't get de Ligt.
He's better than all of our current centerback, and young enough to have a long career with us. Right now, we can't choose too much on the price of the players because of our current situation. I think it's better to overpay and have medium improvement than not paying anyone and not improve at all. I understand that we all want sensible price and huge improvement, but if we can't have that, then overpay and any sort of improvement would be better

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Asking cause a move for him was overruled last year.
Yeah, I’m a bit dithering dave on this one. Can see the merits and the obvious drawbacks. Not enough conviction on this one for me.

SER19

Maguire is a good defender, and at least seems to have a leaders attitude which we desperately need. The thought of Woodward stumping up this season after watching us be out of the title race within 2 months last season when he overruled signing a defender is just another to add to his list of failures

SER19

I still think we should balance it with Alderweireld for 25. Maguire and Alderweireld for a combined 100 or so, just feels better :nervous:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I still think we should balance it with Alderweireld for 25. Maguire and Alderweireld for a combined 100 or so, just feels better :nervous:
Think that would be too many bodies for CB if we’re giving Axel a chance. I do see the point though!

SER19

Think that would be too many bodies for CB if we’re giving Axel a chance. I do see the point though!
Yeah would be on the assumption that 2 of bailly Rojo and Jones are shown the door.

Lindelof
Maguire
Alderweireld
Smalling
Jones

Tuanzebe introduced. With Jones often injured, I think that's a solid offering with capability to play these guys in a 3 also.

john moran

City are linked pretty heavily with Maguire

He’s well above Phil Jones level come on....
City were linked with Fred and Sanchez as well. That worked out really well!

Perhaps they are aware of the incompetents running UTD and use it to their advantage

Last edited by a moderator:

Bwuk

Maguire would be a great option if we can’t get De Ligt. If the option was there to get both we should though.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's in that in between level where has still has room to go on and become one of the best in the league, because clearly he isn't far off, or he could go full Phil Jones.

I think Maguire is the best known central defender we can attract without CL football, and right now I'm in the anyone but Smalling/Jones camp.

Get him in.

tonnas

I always like Maguire, much much better then any of our current cbs. The problem here is that he does not have a flash name like DeLigt or Koulibaly! He will be a great signin imo,DeLigt is going to Barca so I would take maguire and try for Diaz

dove

Would be an absolutely terrible signing for the price. I think he already reached his ceiling and it's not very high. His ball playing skills hides his mediocre defending. For the quoted price (£70m+), I am sure we can find someone better.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I honestly don't understand the hype around this guy. He's not a great defender, he's slow as feck and under his watch, England's defence collapsed both against Croatia and Holland. There are cheaper options around who are as good.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Get him in
Would be an absolutely terrible signing for the price. I think he already reached his ceiling and it's not very high. His ball playing skills hides his mediocre defending. For the quoted price (£70m+), I am sure we can find someone better.
I can only assume you rarely or never watch him play.

Would be a fantastic signing.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The problem we have is this, he'll no doubt command a fee of at least 60m (probably a lot more) and at a time when De Ligt is seemingly moving for 65m do we really want to pay a similar fee for an inferior player? If you dont like the De Ligt comparison another way of looking at it would be paying VVD money for an inferior player.

I dont doubt Maguire would improve our defence but this paying top money for only good players surely has to stop?

I'm of the opinion that unless we can get the best we should give Tuanzebe a chance. Next season is already a write off in terms of any challenging for anything so what do we have to loose?

Enigma_87

You know who
The problem we have is this, he'll no doubt command a fee of at least 60m (probably a lot more) and at a time when De Ligt is seemingly moving for 65m do we really want to pay a similar fee for an inferior player? If you dont like the De Ligt comparison another way of looking at it would be paying VVD money for an inferior player.

I dont doubt Maguire would improve our defence but this paying top money for only good players surely has to stop?

I'm of the opinion that unless we can get the best we should give Tuanzebe a chance. Next season is already a write off in terms of any challenging for anything so what do we have to loose?
De Ligt can choose between PSG and Barca and most likely will. Why chase a player we realistically is very tough to get considering the competition? Makes no sense for De Ligt(unless money motivated) to move to us at the time.

Maguire is better than what we have. The only problem I have is considering we wanted him last Summer and the board vetoed him, why are we in for him now at a probably higher price?

charlenefan

De Ligt can choose between PSG and Barca and most likely will. Why chase a player we realistically is very tough to get considering the competition? Makes no sense for De Ligt(unless money motivated) to move to us at the time.

Maguire is better than what we have. The only problem I have is considering we wanted him last Summer and the board vetoed him, why are we in for him now at a probably higher price?
So again if we cant attract the best there surely has to be a better solution than pay the same amount for someone inferior?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Good header of the ball but thats about it.
Why people would waste 60£m+ for this guy is beyond me.Slow and not very mobile with the ball. No technique. Cant pass the ball forward.

Last year leicester was a mess in defence. Including Maguire.
I take it you've never watched him play before? :lol:

Aloysius's Back 3

Id buy him if as a replacement for Lindelof and not as a partner for him.

If we can get De ligt as our short term LCB - then the following season put him on the right.

Then get Umtiti, Romagnoli or any other left footed LCB to play on the left the following season.

We need to build long term and things can't happen all in one transfer window.

If we can't get de ligt then get Maguire to replace Lindelof eventually.

Enigma_87

You know who
So again if we cant attract the best there surely has to be a better solution than pay the same amount for someone inferior?
Like? Who would you get that is available at a smaller fee than Maguire? Sure he isn't the best out there, but will improve our defense immensely. He has all needed qualities and can take a ball out of defence.

Good age too.

dove

Is he £70m better than what we have? If we only look at better players than what we have in some positions, the bar is so low that even Evans is better than what we have, or if Vidic came out of retirement he would still be better. No one in their right mind would pay that for Maguire.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I honestly don't understand the hype around this guy. He's not a great defender, he's slow as feck and under his watch, England's defence collapsed both against Croatia and Holland. There are cheaper options around who are as good.
Yeah under Maldini/Nesta/Stam's watch, Milan went from 3-0 up to 3-3 against shit Liverpool team and lost on penalties.
Under Nesta/Maldini's watch Milan lost 4-1 lead in first leg against Deportivo.

charlenefan

Like? Who would you get that is available at a smaller fee than Maguire? Sure he isn't the best out there, but will improve our defense immensely. He has all needed qualities and can take a ball out of defence.

Good age too.
Well this summer the obvious answer to me would be to promote Tuanzebe. The solution shouldn't always be who can we buy

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He's a good player. Very good in the air and on the ball. My main worry is his acceleration and tendency to back off. Would not be a good partner for Lindelof I feel as it would be quite a slow pairing.

Enigma_87

You know who
Is he £70m better than what we have? If we only look at better players than what we have in some positions, the bar is so low that even Evans is better than what we have, or if Vidic came out of retirement he would still be better. No one in their right mind would pay that for Maguire.
Who do you suggest mate? We definitely need a starting CB.

De Ligt is not coming Koulibaly would be a lot more expensive and not sure he'd come as well. Varane had a poor season and likely to stay at Madrid. Skriniar is good, but again not the best of seasons and I doubt Inter will sell.

Not really that many alternatives.

devilish

Well played there @devilish, what superb bending of the facts to suit your agenda.

Let’s completely ignore that John Stones exists and that he was personally at fault BIG TIME for every single goal in those games.

But yeah, let’s put that on Maguire :lol:
If you reread my post you'll notice that I am not blaming Maguire's defensive skills on those two games but more his leadership. You'll expect that a good leader would make sure that the defence won't crumble under pressure like it did. Honestly I think that they are both horrible defenders.

devilish

Yeah under Maldini/Nesta/Stam's watch, Milan went from 3-0 up to 3-3 against shit Liverpool team and lost on penalties.
Under Nesta/Maldini's watch Milan lost 4-1 lead in first leg against Deportivo.
The only thing Maldini/Nesta/Stam has in common with Maguire is that they all had a pair of legs. Against Liverpool

Anyway lets try answering that. The names were there but names only show part of the picture. Maldini was already 36 at the time, Stam was 33 and Nesta while being just 29 had already had his share of injuries. There were some very old legs there.

Last edited:

Fosu-Mens

No.

In a highpressingsystem he would be left for dead by any attacker with a trace of mobility. Would rather have Evans back if we are going to buy a centreback from Leicester.

Ake, Issa Diop, Alderweireld are arguably cheaper and better options available in the league.

Nickosaur

Maguire is a very good CB but I think that he would be a bit of a ‘meh’ signing for two reasons:
  1. He clearly isn’t our first-choice target for CB (Koulibaly and de Ligt)
  2. What’s more, Maguire isn’t at Koulibaly’s level – and when you factor in de Ligt’s age, de Ligt should go on to be a far better player than Maguire.
  3. He would cost a LOT (£70-80m).
But having said that - he’s PL proven, fantastic in the air, a threat at set-pieces and good with the ball at his feet. He would massively improve the defence.

We can’t stand still. If we can’t get our targets, I hope we do go for Maguire.

dove

Who do you suggest mate? We definitely need a starting CB.

De Ligt is not coming Koulibaly would be a lot more expensive and not sure he'd come as well. Varane had a poor season and likely to stay at Madrid. Skriniar is good, but again not the best of seasons and I doubt Inter will sell.

Not really that many alternatives.
I think Aldeweireld would be most sensible option. I don't think splashing £70m on CB is a smart thing to do right now when we have so many more urgent positions to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.