Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I would rather get Maguire than Koulibaly. But I'd rather get Ruben Dias than Maguire. I would love if we sign both Ruben and De Ligt. De Ligt for all his qualities is right sided CB and so is Lindelof. I only see us going for De Ligt if we are ready to send Lindelof to the bench. Somehow Lindelof and De Ligt doesn't seem like a good pairing complementing each other.
Even the Portuguese posters don't feel Ruben Dias is quite good enough for the step up.

Kag

Well, Liverpool signed van dyk in January, same goes with city on laporte, Barcelona signed lenglet last season and probably were into market for very different areas in the team, Madrid's no 1 is still Ramos with Varane his partner while scouting militiao all this while. Juventus as a fellow rival were not in for him as well while did they did bring back their defensive legend from Milan and were stocking money for Ronaldo. That just leaves psg who were severely dithered by ffp regulations, so i don't see which top teams were in for central defenders in the market.

At the time Jose signed a new contract there was no communication on future list of players and areas which needed strengthening. From that moment on till end of the window not once i remember koulibaly being discussed all summer at least in reports while we were wasting time on targets which weren't interested to come or not worth the money while we were looking for a fair deal. Kouibaly signed a new contract at the end of transfer window practically strengthening napoli's bargaining position and hike the price according to precedent set by Southampton last January. These shambles contributed to us being thrown into Europa league this season along with many more poor decisions of buying matic and neglecting fabinho for fred.

All this time since January to the end of the window we were never in for koulibaly and never came to realize this is the going rate for top defenders now and take advantage of ongoing discussions of new contract between Napoli and koulibaly while we were the only team needing a top tier centre back who could play from the back? They failed to move on Rojo as well and wasted his full wages for a year and jones as well.

The board is culpable for the mess they created last season and were totally caught sleeping on koulibalys contract situation as well.
If Koulibaly had been available to move then that would have happened by now. You’re one of those football manager fellas, aren’t you?

I mean, how do you even know Koulibaly has wanted to leave Napoli? He might love it there. But that doesn’t marry up with your basic (and flawed) view of the game.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I genuinely don't understand the hype around him. He's painfully slow. I don't see him as a particularly good leader either. England's defence crumbled in pieces both against Croatia and against Holland. A leader wouldn't allow such childish mistakes to happen.

We should aim for Koulibaly, Toby, J Anderson or De Ligt. If we can't get those then Id rather see us giving time to Tuanzebe then waste 80m on this guy

devilish

If Koulibaly had been available to move then that would have happened by now. You’re one of those football manager fellas, aren’t you?

I mean, how do you even know Koulibaly has wanted to leave Napoli? He might love it there. But that doesn’t marry up with your basic (and flawed) view of the game.
He wants to leave the Serie A. He's been racially abused there. However, Napoli are a difficult team to negotiate with.

AJ10

If we are going to sign any Leicester city player then it should be Ndidi.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was bloody awful last night wasn't he?

He's never really looked great for England, teams paying £75m+ for him are taking a huge gamble.

Yes he can carry the ball forward for a big guy and he's good in the air, but when he's having a bad night his decision making is all over the place.

The error for the chance Memphis had towards the end just can't happen. Same with Stones, too many basic errors.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would easily spend 80m on Koulibaly if it meant not getting slab head.

I have never wanted him and last night didnt change that. Hes one of those fairly average English players that doubles in price because we have nobody who looks remotely good enough to pin our hopes on coming through and we cling on to some hope that he might be it. We've had a few of them since Rio and Terry left.

Enigma_87

You know who
Would be hilarious if we sign him after Ed vetoed all center backs not called Varane last summer.

john moran

Would be hilarious if we sign him after Ed vetoed all center backs not called Varane last summer.
It would be if one was a Liverpool supporter . Perhaps Woodward and the Glaziers are ? Now it all makes sense.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
He was bloody awful last night wasn't he?

He's never really looked great for England, teams paying £75m+ for him are taking a huge gamble.

Yes he can carry the ball forward for a big guy and he's good in the air, but when he's having a bad night his decision making is all over the place.

The error for the chance Memphis had towards the end just can't happen. Same with Stones, too many basic errors.
agree 100%

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He wants to leave the Serie A. He's been racially abused there. However, Napoli are a difficult team to negotiate with.
I read somewhere yesterday that Napoli want Lukaku. Perhaps we could negotiate a swap?

devilish

I read somewhere yesterday that Napoli want Lukaku. Perhaps we could negotiate a swap?
Koulibaly is an excellent defender. He's a clear upgrade over Maguire

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Once again Maguire proved to be little more than a lump. On a scale of 0-10, he's much to close to Smalling and Jones for my liking! At a quarter of the price, I'd still look elsewhere

Bestietom

I would sooner Koulibaly than Maguire.
But a cheaper one would be Milenkovic who I feel is a top CB at 21 years old.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Even the Portuguese posters don't feel Ruben Dias is quite good enough for the step up.
As a Benfica fan, I can agree with this. And if you have the patience to check my posts history you can check that I also said that Lindelof was not top notch material yet.

Despite disliking the c*nt named Felipe, he's pretty much the best CB on our league atm (even after that terrible perfomance at Portuguese Cup final, where he was clearly the main culprit for Sporting goals).

And even Filipe is not top club material, but he's very imposing. He's off to Atlético Madrid, but he signed to be a backup option.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The people who don't rate him still baffle me. Pure class.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Still think that’s bullshit, IMO. De Laurentis wouldn’t actually turn down 90m for him. Sounds like posturing.
It’s not bullshit because it is really his buyout clause. Last month, Ornstein tier 1 BBC already said that he has a buyout clause for €150m and Napoli don’t feel want to sell. It makes sense that Napoli doesn’t want to sell their best player, why would they sell if players don’t put a request to leave.

It’s not bullshit because it is really his buyout clause. Last month, Ornstein tier 1 BBC already said that he has a buyout clause for €150m and Napoli don’t feel want to sell. It makes sense that Napoli doesn’t want to sell their best player, why would they sell if players don’t put a request to leave.
Why? Cause it’s 90 million quid.

Some of the crazy money transfers have completely scrambled your brain. Only four players have ever been sold for more and all of them have been much younger than Koulibaly.
If anyone offers 90m, I’m pretty certain Napoli will bite their hand off.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I didn’t ask a question.

If anyone offers 90m for a 28 year old CB, like feck are Napoli turning it down man :lol:
They rejected our offer last season about 90m and you expect them to sell with the same price. There is a reason he signed a new contract so Napoli can inject that clause contract and let him go for that price.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
They rejected our offer last season about 90m and you expect them to sell with the same price. There is a reason he signed a new contract so Napoli can inject that clause contract and let him go for that price.
Yet apparently they only recently rejected our bid of £83m? Again, it’s not making much sense, according to “reports”. If we actually bid that amount, he would be on a plane to Manchester.

Yet apparently they only recently rejected our bid of £83m? Again, it’s not making much sense, according to “reports”. If we actually bid that amount, he would be on a plane to Manchester.
As I say, some posters have completely lost and sense of reality regarding transfer fees.

We’re talking NINETY MILLION POUNDS here for a 28 year old centre back. As if they’d turn that down man.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’m calling bollox on this one.
Not saying we bid that amount, I said around that amount (can’t exactly remember the fees). Btw €90m is about £80m

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
As I say, some posters have completely lost it regarding transfer fees.

We’re talking NINETY MILLION POUNDS here for a 28 year old centre back. As if they’d turn that down man.
If they don’t want sell why would they sell that price, Napoli is going to squeeze it and they know we are desperate.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
As I say, some posters have completely lost it regarding transfer fees.

Yeah, even my Naples supporting mate says there’s no way he turns that down.

Not saying we bid that amount, I said around that amount (can’t exactly remember the fees). Btw €90m is about £80m
Yeah, my point is there was the supposed bid last season of that much and recently there was a bid of eerily similar value. Sounds like pure de laurentis bluster.

If they don’t want sell why would they sell that price, Napoli is going to squeeze it and they know we are desperate. He just signed a new contract less than a year ago!
Because at that price they absolutely would want to sell, that’s what you are struggling to grasp.

Forbes list the value of SSC Napoli as 400m€ yet you’re trying to convince me they’d turn down 90m€ for a 28 year old CB?

Come on man, don’t be so naive.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Because at that price they absolutely would want to sell, that’s what you are struggling to grasp.

Forbes list the value of SSC Napoli as 400m€ yet you’re trying to convince me they’d turn down 90m€ for a 28 year old CB?

Come on man, don’t be so naive.
He just signed a new contract less than a year ago! He ties with Napoli until 2023, I will believe with 90m if he only has 2 years. But 4 YEARS??? They are not in rush to sell and not afraid of losing him cheap next summer. It’s not possible unless the player himself request to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.