Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I have my reservations on his agility and acceleration. He also tends to back off a lot, not a fan of that style of defending.

However, he's very good on the ball and in the air. So not completely against this if we miss out on De ligit and Koulibaly.

See the city game below, we could only dream of a CB playing those passes from the back currently. For that reason alone I can see Pep being interested, he's what you want John Stones to be on the ball.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He's always been a cracking player. Would have been a Sir Alex signing a long time ago. People get hung up on unnecessary details about his looks, but he fits the classic United mould. A talented player who is willing to take risks from the back and comes alive during the big moments.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
In that case it probably makes sense. What was your pecking order at CB this past season?
It's tough to actually say the pecking order of CBs at City because Pep seems to change it depending on the opposition and Kompany's fitness. The only proper constant is Laporte as the left sided centre back. Otherwise it seems to be that if it's a big game and he is fit, then Kompany will play, and if not then he will decide on the day between Otamendi or Stones. Stones is probably preferred in the 'easier' games for his build-up play and Otamendi in more physically demanding games.

Not sure if I'm convinced by Maguire to replace Kompany. Even after all his injuries Kompany is still much more mobile than Maguire. He is solid defensively, strong in the air and comfortable on the ball but he has the turning circle of an Eddie Stobart truck and I wouldn't trust him in the Champions League. Personally I'd love Koulibaly. Easily one of the best in the world, him and Laporte could be a phenomenal partnership.

crossy1686

career ending
He's always been a cracking player. Would have been a Sir Alex signing a long time ago. People get hung up on unnecessary details about his looks, but he fits the classic United mould. A talented player who is willing to take risks from the back and comes alive during the big moments.
SAF wouldn't have gone anywhere near him at £90m. He'd have signed some kid from mountains of Serbia before he shelled that out for a CB that 'looks' like a United CB.

Seth.R

Last two players City wanted to sign and we got in the way were Alexis and Fred *shudders*.

It's almost like they're playing games on the blue side of Manchester and we're falling for it every time.

crossy1686

career ending
Wut? You mean the same Laporte who made it into the PFA TOTY and was the second best CB in the league, him?
It's hard to look bad in that City side, especially when you do nothing most games. The fact that they were still relying heavily on 33 year old with no ability to turn or any pace says everything about City's defence. Laporte, Stones, Otemendi, Mangala, whoever it may be, if it wasn't for Kompany they'd be a lot worse off.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
He is Very Very good & would fit in nicely in a Man Utd back four.
PS. He is really not that slow !!

croadyman

For me, this should be the list:

1. De Ligt. In the highly likely event that he is not attainable, move on.

2. Koulibaly. If Napoli really rejected a bid of €110m, move on.

3. Maguire. I think he's worth in and around £60m. Maybe a little bit more given our desperate situation.

Great with the ball at his feet, fantastic at bringing it out from the back too. I remember him bossing us at OT when he was at Hull. He was making runs into midfield and beyond like it was nothing. He's also good in the air which is our biggest weakness. Get the impression he has leadership qualities too, he'd absolutely be a candidate for captain from the day he signs.

4. Alderweireld. I know he's been flirting with returning to Ajax, but surely we could get this over the line if it comes down to it.
That would be my order of preference as well but the Utd board probably see things very differently.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Disappointing.

Like I said with Van Dijk, he'll thrive. Bar Virgil, he's the only CB I've seen in recent years that I'm confident will make the step up. Fantastic player.

AJ10

If he does go to city, I simply wouldn't be surprised if its between 50/60 mil unlike for us where it was close to 80 mil.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Disappointing.

Like I said with Van Dijk, he'll thrive. Bar Virgil, he's the only CB I've seen in recent years that I'm confident will make the step up. Fantastic player.
Agreed. Love him as a player. Would bring some courage and determination to the club which we desperately need.

El-Manos

Why the feck are we supposedly not in for him? Is our board honestly convinced our current options are good enough?

Fosu-Mens

Why the feck are we supposedly not in for him? Is our board honestly convinced our current options are good enough?
Trying for De Ligt. And when he goes to Barca, we will try for Koulibaly. IF/when that fails we will panic and go for Maguire for a stupid amount when we should go for Ake instead.

AJ10

Most likely due to Leicester wanting around 80 mil for a decent player.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
He’s always had his doubters due to his pace but he will make it to the top and it was obvious for so long

Irishman

He's a Utd fan ain't he?

If so, we should be all over this. Guys got the heart of a lion. Steve Bruce spirit.

He's exactly what we need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nickosaur

It's hard to look bad in that City side, especially when you do nothing most games. The fact that they were still relying heavily on 33 year old with no ability to turn or any pace says everything about City's defence. Laporte, Stones, Otemendi, Mangala, whoever it may be, if it wasn't for Kompany they'd be a lot worse off.
You dont watch a lot of football do you

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d like him if we can’t get De Ligt. We absolutely shouldn’t watch on as city stroll in and pick him up either.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Agreed. Love him as a player. Would bring some courage and determination to the club which we desperately need.
He's the second best CB in the league for me.

People on here laughed at Liverpool for what they paid for Van Dijk but I said he was worth it and I wish we had paid it at the time. It's the same with Maguire now. He's worth every penny and City will get stronger because of him, imo.

red4ever 79

Should have been all over this. One of the best CB's on the league. Strong, good on the ball, quite mobile and seems to be a strong character

Status
Not open for further replies.