Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. There's no way we are offering 90mil for him, or that Leicester would reject such an obscene amount.
Definitely not, Leicester could do absolute wonders with that money. Football fans though, the Neymar deal and the subsequent Coutinho/Dembele overspend that came about has completely warped some people’s minds.

A club worth billions (Juventus) couldn’t turn down 90€m for a young Pogba, but hell, lil Napoli can for a 28 year old or Leicester City can for Maguire. Absolute tripe.

Roboc7

Maguire’s a good player, think way Leicester play suits him, but he’s nowhere near good enough to justify the world record fee it would take to buy him.

There are plenty of good young players who we could sign instead, club have an opportunity to develop a team now, we shouldn’t be dependent on him, De Ligt or Koulibaly.

Suvvernmanc

Consistency is something that every professional needs to have to be the best they can be.

Harry Maguire is very consistent. He would absolutely be worth £60m now. I'd be over the moon with him at UTD. Obviously Koulibaly or De Ligt would be the best we could hope for but Maguire is gettable and would be as good as any at bringing the ball out from the back and as a defender he would easily be our best and would compliment Lindelof very well. I dont get why people would be against him coming us.

john moran

Consistency is something that every professional needs to have to be the best they can be.

Harry Maguire is very consistent. He would absolutely be worth £60m now. I'd be over the moon with him at UTD. Obviously Koulibaly or De Ligt would be the best we could hope for but Maguire is gettable and would be as good as any at bringing the ball out from the back and as a defender he would easily be our best and would compliment Lindelof very well. I dont get why people would be against him coming us.
Because he is more of the same mediocrity that we already have.

Harry Maguire is fine if as a club you want battle Wolves and Everton for 6th place .
If we are going to be a real force again then the Maguire , Smalling and Jones of this world , need to be at or stay at other clubs.

Last edited by a moderator:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I really like him. He's the slaphead defender that can play from the back that I crave. As a fan he does everything you want from a CB. Very much a people's player.

Castia

Because he is more of the same mediocrity that we already have.

Harry Maguire is fine if as a club you want battle Wolves and Everton for 6th place .
If we are going to be a real force again then the Maguire , Smalling and Jones of this world , need to be at or stay at other clubs.

City are linked pretty heavily with Maguire

He’s well above Phil Jones level come on....

Nick7

Would be good here. I'd say he'd be a fan favourite by Christmas if he joined.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Would sum our state up if we buy this oaf for £75-90m which is being quoted.

Stadjer

Does he have a cool nickname anyway? Is it just slabhead? Maguiry or Harryy just doesnt work.

Not a cool English nickname so how will he fit in with Youngy and Rashy?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Does he have a cool nickname anyway? Is it just slabhead? Maguiry or Harryy just doesnt work.

Maggie.

Dante

Average bang
He was shit against The Netherlands but great against Switzerland.

As a pure defender, he's fantastic. Pair him with the right partner and he can conceivably form one half of a perfect combo. That's easier said than done, obviously, but Tuanzebe looks like he could be a decent complement.

The bigger issue is getting the midfiled in front of him right. Maguire can be forced into mistakes unless he has a press-resistant out ball to pick. That's going to be the bigger challenge to sort out. Matic is not that man, imo.

Dante

Average bang

MAGA

But he'll end up being called Slabs on the training gound.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I'd take him; we're not getting De Ligt or Koulibaly and we've needed someone for a couple of windows now, just get it done and move on

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Can’t understand why we didn’t sign him at Hull when he was highly rated or last Summer? If it’s true and we are in for him, why didn’t we just pay up last Summer instead of now having to pay even sillier money to get him?

lsd

The Oracle
I'd like to think City will buy him but sadly they are not as stupid as us in transfers so more likely we will end up with him .

Hopefully Howson knows nothing about our plans and I'm pretty sure he doesn't . Even if he does know Rashford and Lingard they wont be in the know about our transfers

Dante

Average bang
Can’t understand why we didn’t sign him at Hull when he was highly rated or last Summer? If it’s true and we are in for him, why didn’t we just pay up last Summer instead of now having to pay even sillier money to get him?
Mourinho is asking the same thing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’ll be happy to see him as our centre back next season. Really really good centre back, most importantly he can play from the back.

Cloud7

I’d be happy with his signing. Preferred him when we were seemingly faced with the choice of him vs alderwereild and got neither.

Judas

Open to offers
I wanted him last summer. I guess the reason we didn't sign him last summer is the belief he'd be cheaper this year? That doesn't appear to have happened though.

Hal9000

I wanted him last summer. I guess the reason we didn't sign him last summer is the belief he'd be cheaper this year? That doesn't appear to have happened though.
From Woodwards briefing to the press last year, Leicester wanted Van Dijk/Walker money but thought Maguire was to new to the league and didn't have CL football to justify that.

Koulibaly will soon be 28, and Napoli want near on £100 million from him. Great defender, but a risk given his age and lack of CL experience, i'd take Maguire over him. De Ligt, as well, i would probably take him over Maguire but you are spending £60/70 million on a 19 year old, who will probably take a huge wage and agent fee to sway him away from PSG/Barca, that's a risk as well.

Least with Maguire, you are getting someone who has performed well and consistently over two seasons and a World Cup.

Scholsey2004

Would you prefer Maguire over Ruben Diaz?
Diaz seems to be rated below lindelof, who is clearly not as good as Maguire in my opinion. They seem to want a big fee for Diaz as well in which case what's the point?

Tiber

This would be a great signing. Some will bash it because he isn't a sexy name but forget that.

Doubt we could get Leicester to sell though

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Would you prefer Maguire over Ruben Diaz?
Too early. Should leave him at Benfica for one more year but could be pricey next year. He seems to be available this year though.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Would sum our state up if we buy this oaf for £75-90m which is being quoted.
He is easily better than any CB at Utd right now and probably top 5 in the Premier league not to mention England's top CB. Glad you think he's an oaf.

Robertd0803

Have no issue with Maguire but the price Leicester will look for will be crazy. But then again can we afford not to buy a central defender this year?

GazTheLegend

Have no issue with Maguire but the price Leicester will look for will be crazy. But then again can we afford not to buy a central defender this year?
If worst came to worst I’d rather use Axel Tuanzebe than toss 70 million at Slabhead

AlexUTD

Good header of the ball but thats about it.
Why people would waste 60£m+ for this guy is beyond me.Slow and not very mobile with the ball. No technique. Cant pass the ball forward.

Last year leicester was a mess in defence. Including Maguire.

AJ10

Where are people getting 60 mil? It'll be more like 80+ mil.

Really hope we're not that bloody stupid to spend that type of money on a decent defender.

NoMidfielders

Guys got talent and I would have wanted to sign him before he went to Leicester. He's not worth anywhere near the prices being quoted at this point though, had an average season.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Why people would waste 60£m+ for this guy is beyond me.Slow and not very mobile with the ball. No technique. Cant pass the ball forward.

Can't pass the ball forward? Are you joking?

AdNani

Who the feck have you been watching? :confused:

He’s great in the air. Strong in the tackle, a leader, very good at bringing the ball out and is a good passer. He’s a bit inconsistent but that’ll improve in time

I swear people see a big English lad and assume he’s a plodder.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Stupid isn't it. We've seemingly gone full circle. The rumours at the time was Jose wanted us to be more realistic with CB targets ie Alderweireld, Maguire or Boateng instead of Varane etc. Woodward said no to all of them at the time, but now we're supposedly in for these sort of targets again.

Status
Not open for further replies.