Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Midfielder

Just sign him ffs.. He improves our team.. And it is not our money..
Remember we are not in the Ferguson era, where players want to come to us to win leagues, champions league... We have to overpay now, to buy decent players as that is the only thing we can provide..
Lets buy him and improve our team.. lets get top 4.. then lets improve the team further.. that is way to go forward..

fergies coat

What exactly goes on when we bid for a player? Why does it take so long? It should take a couple of days max.

We have been preparing a bid for Longstaff for nearly a week now. Snails move faster.

romufc

What exactly goes on when we bid for a player? Why does it take so long? It should take a couple of days max.

We have been preparing a bid for Longstaff for nearly a week now. Snails move faster.

It is the new efficient Manutd way to get things done.

As Ed Woodward said " We can do things in the transfer window, others can only dream of" I think we are getting a good demonstration of what that involves. Could you imagine being CEO of one of the biggest clubs in the world and run like crap and not only getting away with it, getting a huge pay rise.

Bestietom

We will sign him but will have to break the record, so Woody might as well pay it now, instead of dragging it on.

SATA

I think we are probably waiting on Leicester to sign his replacement first before an announcement. It's gone all too quiet which i suspect a deal is probably done and terms agreed. I'm being very optimistic though

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think we are probably waiting on Leicester to sign his replacement first before an announcement. It's gone all too quiet which i suspect a deal is probably done and terms agreed. I'm being very optimistic though
This is quite possible.
It has gone suspiciously quite on the CB (and Maguire) front.

Roboc7

Just sign him ffs.. He improves our team.. And it is not our money..
Remember we are not in the Ferguson era, where players want to come to us to win leagues, champions league... We have to overpay now, to buy decent players as that is the only thing we can provide..
Lets buy him and improve our team.. lets get top 4.. then lets improve the team further.. that is way to go forward..
Issue with that is more you overpay the less money there will be to spend this season and next season to help make that next step.

This idea it isn’t our money might be true but it isn’t the Glazers either, they line their pockets either way. It’s the club’s transfer budget that takes the hit and it will impact on future transfer windows.

He’s going to have to very good to justify a world record fee if that’s what it takes, being better than what we have doesn’t really cut it as not saying much.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Got to love your optimism.

Id say the smarter money, especIally after ole doing the "not being held to ransom bit" is backing away and not signing a centre back.

Potentially no other signings making it a near replica of last season. Ie a 50m first teamer and a 15-20m promising youngster

Hughie77

We are the only club that's put in an official bid? We are in the driving seat if Maguire wants to come, can see it happening before season starts. Maguire reportedly wants to come? That's a plus he can get things moving his end.

The right price to the foxes he on his way?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We are the only club that's put in an official bid? We are in the driving seat if Maguire wants to come, can see it happening before season starts. Maguire reportedly wants to come? That's a plus he can get things moving his end.

The right price to the foxes he on his way?
Yes. But the right price to Leicester seems to be the national debt of a small country.

George The Best

We are giving Leicester the perfect sales pitch to keep him though aren’t we?

So Harry, tell us if you want to really go to Man Utd. We’ve just given you a nice new contract, buying players to improve us and got Rodgers on board for next season.

They are after Lemina to build a defensive MF together with the old guy, Matic. Pogba & Lukaku could well be going elsewhere, then they’ve got Ole to coach you.

Sort of story i’d be spinning in their shoes.

Le Red

Got to love your optimism.

Id say the smarter money, especIally after ole doing the "not being held to ransom bit" is backing away and not signing a centre back.

Potentially no other signings making it a near replica of last season. Ie a 50m first teamer and a 15-20m promising youngster
That will likely cost us top 4 again. Think about the financial impact of that.
Usually it's a good think to shout to four corners that we won't overpay. But MUFC is a very rich club in desperate need of a CB. Of course selling clubs will take advantage of that, it's leverage, business for dummies.
MUFC put itself in this position and must now choose the lesser of two evils. Overpaying or risking going even further down the abyss.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Not sure if Leicester will sell to us. They could have a realistic chance for top 4 this season so why strengthen a direct rival?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Budgeting in organizations like Manchester United is a bigger undertaking than you imagine.

First: The club are looking at more than 1 player. It's not a simple question of "just bid £10 million more". £10 million is an absolutely insane amount of money. You might think its worthless, but to you and me, £10 million is fairytale money, but in regards to transfers its something we read about in the newspaper and don't have any relationship to, so its difficult to even imagine how much money this is.

The biggest distribution contract I've signed in my company was worth £4 million over 2 years, and we spent nearly 3 weeks arguing about variables that were worth a few thousand. My point is that nothing is straightforward.

Football contracts have clauses in them, and often the clauses are the sticking point. Clauses are offered, re-negotiated, improved on, rejected, rewritten and presesented in a new package. You have to go back, and forth, thinking needs to be made, people need to sign off. It's not a tit for tat process. Ed Woodward is not always part of a negotiation and he's in the loop, has to sign off on certain elements, you go back to the table, involve other people, and so you go. And that's just for the clauses.

When you offer say £10 mill for a player. The other club wants £15. What's the big deall, its just £5 million?

Firstly: The selling club nearly always has a overvalutation of their player. They want as much as they can get for a player. Simple enough.

The bidding club has an analyzis in place that evaluates all the players metrics and characteristics that place a max value on a player. And on top of that comes the "gut" feeling that has some leeway, but these numbers don't pop out of a hat. They are figures based on real data. Comparable transfers, a players age, potential (risk factor), inflation, all play a part in how much a player is both worth, and judged to be worth.

So if the bidding club don't want to go over their max value, and the selling club don't want to go down on their overvaluation, what then? Well you try to meet in the middle, throw offers back and forth, both parties have to swallow some pills, you include and remove clauses, and then finally start negotiating clauses that go into the selling contract, performance based, cap based, etc etc, there's too many variables to list. And on top of that the negotiating parties need time to think about the offer, maybe listen to other offers, and so on.

Also something that factors in is a clubs budget. A club like Manchester United has an enormous spending bill, and income report annually. Moving a number around in the clubs budget is not a small task. You can't just go "I'll just take £10 million from here". The club is bidding on other players as well, we have a transfer budget that might rely on players being sold on top of the money already allocated. Future income is judged into the budget for this year. Is a player x likely to bring us to CL and incrase our revenue? Well he's worth x% above our valuation with a risk%. Is that risk% acceptable? No? We walk way Yes? We try to meet in the middle.

Clubs are also in a position of bargaining power compared to us. Harry Maguire is not forcing a move from his club, and Leicester don't have to sell. Reports are that they want £85 million while Man united have made an official bid of £70 million pr. Simon Stone of BBC (Simon is 99.9% reliable). The valuation on the player is a new world record for a centreback. Our offer is already huge. They want more.

And so the clubs are currently going back and forth discussing potential deals. Money upfront, money over time, money based on performance, etc etc etc.

This takes a long long time. Unless a club simply pays the release clause, or by some miracle agree on the first bid, then the process of purchasing a player is a long one. It does take weeks and it's not at all a surprise.

So yeah, that's why it takes more than 2 days to prepare a bid, and more than 4 days to complete a transfer.

DoomSlayer

you can barely afford to get one player from us 2 would put you in administration ;)
Don't be silly my guy, our debt is higher than the whole value of your club.

I don't mind you embracing your moment since winning the league but just try and make the best out of it, as very soon the natural order will be restored. :cool:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Don't be silly my guy, our debt is higher than the whole value of your club.

I don't mind you embracing your moment since winning the league but just try and make the best out of it, as very soon the natural order will be restored. :cool:
We've been saying this for the last six years :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.