Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeno

Agree completely with the views on the complications of deal negotiation. It’s actually impressive that so many big money deals can be concluded across Europe within such a short transfer window.

In saying that I don’t think the issue on Maguire is about finding an extra 15m in the transfer budget. I think the delays are for 3 reasons:

1. The “United Premium”. Selling clubs ask for more when dealing with United. This needs to stop. If we overpay by 20% on Maguire then we’re overpaying by 20% on everyone. That’s more than a 15m problem.

2. World record price. This brings ridiculous extra pressure. Especially at United. Avoid world record price if possible.

3. We will wait because on this one we can. Less pressure to have Maguire for pre-season. He knows a lot of the players and knows the league.

This will go to deadline day.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidmichael

We’ll end up buying Maguire, Longstaff, Savic or Fernandes and Haller or Ben Yedder ALL on deadline day for the price their clubs have been asking for since the start and delay their integration into the squad instead of just accepting a lot of clubs don’t need to sell because of TV money and actually want to stay in the top leagues due to TV money being worth more than selling players.

Le Red

lots of stuff that make sense.
I enjoyed reading your posts but I have some considerations and one question.
All you said the could be applied to every season since SAF left, but most of the transfer windows in the meantime have been complete disasters.
I don't think the fans really believe EW is as stupid as the portrait they paint of him, that's just an overblown depiction that stems from pure frustration over the current state of affairs.
You made some great points about the hardships of signing a player in top flight football, but even with all that there's no denying the shortcomings of our club in the transfer market. Still, you seem to believe that this time around the board is doing its work diligently.
My question is: what do you see that is being done differently now in comparison to the recent transfer windows?

Ronaldo's Love Child

It doesn't really matter how much Leicester want for him or whether there is any value in the fee paid for him.

What matters is whether we consider the player to be important enough to pay what is needed to secure his services.

I am struggling to understand how our dealings seem to be SO protracted ! We made a bid, Leciester rejected it and gave some indication that they expect a fee in excess of the fee Southampton got for VVD. So when we made our initial bid of £ 65 million we must have also had an idea as to how much we would be prepared to increase that bid to to bag the player.

George The Best

Unless Maguire makes it clear he wants to go Leicester have no reason to sell below their valuation. They may also be hoping that City (or somebody else) come in with a better bid.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
BBC never mention the offer is being rejected (sky sport did). I trust BBC more than Sky.

Let’s say if the offer has never been rejected, the rumour about City pulled off from the transfer after our first initial bid £70m is true, Ole has made it clear we won’t overpay means we won’t increase anything above 70m.

I think Leicester will have no choice but to sell him with that value. Maguire has said to Leicester that he wants to play in European comp which we have and Leicester doesn’t.

Judas

Open to offers
We’ll end up buying Maguire, Longstaff, Savic or Fernandes and Haller or Ben Yedder ALL on deadline day for the price their clubs have been asking for since the start and delay their integration into the squad instead of just accepting a lot of clubs don’t need to sell because of TV money and actually want to stay in the top leagues due to TV money being worth more than selling players.
Doubt it, we seem much more likely to walk away from overpriced players if the last few summers are anything to go by.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
BBC never mention the offer is being rejected (sky sport did). I trust BBC more than Sky.

Let’s say if the offer has never been rejected, the rumour about City pulled off from the transfer after our first initial bid £70m is true, Ole has made it clear we won’t overpay means we won’t increase anything above 70m.

I think Leicester will have no choice but to sell him with that value. Maguire has said to Leicester that he wants to play in European comp which we have and Leicester doesn’t.
He’s on a long term contract. Leicester might decide to keep him while hoping for an auction next summer

predator

Youth NITK
I literally couldn't care less how much we spend on players these days, be it transfer fees or wages.

The Sanchez wages eclipses anything in terms of value for money in world football. We also broke the world transfer fee for a player who now wants out. At least we are rich though.

To see fans Express their concern regarding our spending is admirable, yet head scratching.

We have spent shit loads on players, wages, agent fees in the past 5 years- more than any other club maybe?

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
Bit weird today regarding Harry. Storesi saying you have ended interest, and other saying he is now a priority. (The media - yuk)
Love the one about "Utd have made a decision" (Decided to pursue it) - what does that actually mean? The price hasn`t changed :confused:
Either way, hope for all parties, this comes to a conclusion soon so he can focus on the club he is going to be at, and both clubs can focus (And reinforce in Leicester's case should he move to Utd) on pre-season.

Fox1884

Supports
Leicester City
He’s on a long term contract. Leicester might decide to keep him while hoping for an auction next summer
This is the main thing, Maguire has supposedly told the club he wants to leave, but until it comes out publicly, it doesn’t really put any pressure on Leicester to sell

Even when Mahrez publicly came out saying he wanted to leave etc. it took him nearly 2 years to get his move, for a record fee for both clubs

The owners don’t give into players demands easily, especially for someone who has 4 years left on his contract

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is the main thing, Maguire has supposedly told the club he wants to leave, but until it comes out publicly, it doesn’t really put any pressure on Leicester to sell

Even when Mahrez publicly came out saying he wanted to leave etc. it took him nearly 2 years to get his move, for a record fee for both clubs

The owners don’t give into players demands easily, especially for someone who has 4 years left on his contract
If he really wanted his big move, signing that long deal last summer wasn't smart at all.
Short term gain in wage yes, but he must have realised itd make a move much harder

Nick7

I do wonder if he's actually told the club he wants to leave or if that's us leaking that to the media to sew discontent in your ranks. Wouldn't be surprised.

Sigma

He's maybe worth about £40 million in my opinion. If we actually offered 70, Leicester should accept that without hesitation.

Litch

Football Fans are strange creatures. They curse their own players for coming out saying they want to leave but I wonder how they feel when a player they want the club to sign does the same thing?

Nick7

Football Fans are strange creatures. They curse their own players for coming out saying they want to leave but I wonder how they feel when a player they want the club to sign does the same thing?
Publicly I think it's a bit shitty no matter what. Telling the manager or whoever privately is fine in my view. I'm not a fan of players using the media and striking to force moves. Always makes me think they'll do it again at the next club.

stepic

He's maybe worth about £40 million in my opinion. If we actually offered 70, Leicester should accept that without hesitation.
so an English international is worth less than AWB, who has only one full season and no caps under his belt?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If he really wanted his big move, signing that long deal last summer wasn't smart at all.
Short term gain in wage yes, but he must have realised itd make a move much harder
Yep. It's a tricky one for a player, you never know if next year the club will come back for you. Will they move onto a different target?

I do think though with the transfer prices these days players will choose to run down contracts in a hope to force a move. Clubs are way more likely to sell at 1 year remaining in fear of losing any fee.

Bobski

World record fee for a defender for Maguire. Bloody hell, no wonder City pulled out and Utd are hesitating. For all that some parts of his game are highly eye-catching and impressive(aerial power in both boxes, passing and forward runs) the uncertainty about his defensive qualities have to make suitors nervous. Kingly price for a poor man's Mats Hummels.

dweb

If OGS has identified who he wants,where does the board draw the line at the prices involved?Obviously there`ll be a list of players in each position but if the price is an issue and Woodward starts to move down the list.I,like Ole I guess,don`t want 2nd or 3rd best.

Sigma

so an English international is worth less than AWB, who has only one full season and no caps under his belt?
40m is laughable in this day and age. Tyrone Mings just went for nearly 30m.
Exactly why you look for the next Harry Maguire. He showed good potential at Hull City, if we really wanted him we could have bought him then for so much less. The players are out there.

Litch

Publicly I think it's a bit shitty no matter what. Telling the manager or whoever privately is fine in my view. I'm not a fan of players using the media and striking to force moves. Always makes me think they'll do it again at the next club.
I make you right.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I literally couldn't care less how much we spend on players these days, be it transfer fees or wages.

The Sanchez wages eclipses anything in terms of value for money in world football. We also broke the world transfer fee for a player who now wants out. At least we are rich though.

To see fans Express their concern regarding our spending is admirable, yet head scratching.

We have spent shit loads on players, wages, agent fees in the past 5 years- more than any other club maybe?
If we don't care how much we spend on players, we are going to go from rich to under adminstration in the time it takes Pogba to knock out a sweet dance move after he scores a goal. We should not entertain a market where players who are not top5 in their position in the world go for nearly 100 million euro.

I'm happy to find the figures for you when I have time later, but as far as spending goes, we're not that bad actually.

Real Madrid and Barcelona have the biggest wage bills in football by some margin. Man United and Man City comes in 3rd or 4th considerably behind.

RedorDead21

Exactly why you look for the next Harry Maguire. He showed good potential at Hull City, if we really wanted him we could have bought him then for so much less. The players are out there.
He seems to be consistent and not injury prone. Harry is a good fit in terms of age and experience and ability. A point I'd say Jones and Smalling never achieved because of injuries or less ability causing inconsistency.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Wonder how many people saying "he'll improve our defense therefore it makes no sense to complain about the fee" would be saying the same if we spent £80m on Andros Townsend. He's a better RW than Mata or Lingard, after all!

We overpaid there too but at least Wan-Bissaka is 21 and has plenty of scope to improve. Maguire is at, or very close to his peak, and does not.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If we don't care how much we spend on players, we are going to go from rich to under adminstration in the time it takes Pogba to knock out a sweet dance move after he scores a goal. We should not entertain a market where players who are not top5 in their position in the world go for nearly 100 million euro.

I'm happy to find the figures for you when I have time later, but as far as spending goes, we're not that bad actually.

Real Madrid and Barcelona have the biggest wage bills in football by some margin. Man United and Man City comes in 3rd or 4th considerably behind.
Hey, at least when the rest of the teams leave us behind and we're wallowing in 7th, 8th, 9th place we can still flash our gold watch at them.

Eric's Seagull

With us being so high up the list in wages we pay, we should expect to see a calibre of football played to reflect that massive outlay.

el3mel

Wonder how many people saying "he'll improve our defense therefore it makes no sense to complain about the fee" would be saying the same if we spent £80m on Andros Townsend. He's a better RW than Mata or Lingard, after all!

We overpaid there too but at least Wan-Bissaka is 21 and has plenty of scope to improve. Maguire is at, or very close to his peak, and does not.
Except Maguire is a very good player, and imo, the best CB we can get this summer as Koulibaly is unrealistic.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Except Maguire is a very good player, and imo, the best CB we can get this summer.
That's fair enough if you think that, I disagree. My point is, "he's better than what we've got" is a terrible argument for why we should spend £80m on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.