Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Ma Crow

Evans is better than Maguire? Best comedy site on the interwebs this.

For what it's worth, yes the price is steep but either we spend it on slabhead who instantly becomes our best defender on the ball, in the air and a genuine threat from set pieces or we pump a little bit more money back to the Glazers.
Only better at being injured.

-Supreme-

SAF was a god. He could sign anyone at any price, I'd still be optimistic the player could develop into what we need. Just because he had a proven excellent track records.

Meanwhile, under Ole we extended Jones contract, overpaid a one season young RB, and gave 200k/wk to Rashford. It doesn't really give a much confidence.
SAF transfer strategy was signing PL proven players and I can't recall any that was a clear failure, comparing to his oversea signings where the success rate was much lower.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
So let me get this straight, we are interested in Maguire in summer of 2018. The briefing is he's no better than other CBs at the club and would be too expensive. Come to 2019, he's our primary target when his price as actually went up?

Its not as if Maguire had an exceptional season. So someone has made the wrong judgment on this signing last year? Yet, they are still involved with us. Why don't people see this as a major issue wrt to our structure? What are these scouts and Woodward up to?
Also, the narrative pretty much changed and we actually need him now even if it is for 20 million more.
Last summer Ed saved us from buying him.

C'est Moi Cantona

Of course it is, the mistake would be to treat it as your own personal fund because then the business will suffer, its still their money though. They could spend every penny the business had the day they bought it if they liked and run it into the ground, it wouldn't be smart, but they could.

Every penny Utd makes is Glazer money. Fortunately for us they are smart people so will always re invest what ever is needed to get the club where it needs to be so they can keep milking their cash cow. It's not ideal but like the other poster said at least we aren't Arsenal or Newcastle where those clubs only make enough to satisfy their owners dividends which means the club remains skint.
Not smart enough to get the right people in to start spending this money, they just seem happy to keep repeating the same mistakes, with the same people/person making those mistakes, that's not smart at all.

The fact we are in better place than Arsenal and Newcastle are hardly grounds to accept the disease that are owners as something that is ok, imho.

And if you believe the second bolded part then you're mad, top 4 will do nicely, unless that is what you meant.

Roboc7

I agree with you he is not world class. Has two big drawbacks ... shortage of speed and his price but ticks all other boxes. When I’m asking people who else, I want to know these defenders everybody talks about who tick more boxes. Premier league ready, obtainable, a potential defence leader, dominant in the air, good defensively, good on the ball, good age/amount of top level experience ... this is all I want to know. Because this is what we need. No more gambles (on the above list of criteria) or future projects.
So no more gambles equals Maguire for 90m, just doesn’t make sense and goes back to my original point. What does a list of players tell you, you or I don't know who ticks same or more boxes, but it’s clear there’s plenty of good players out there and for less than 90m.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Football has gone money crazy.

It's not Maguire's fault Leicester are asking for obscene prices. Maguire is no Rio, but a dependable defender who's better at actual football than all of our defenders and less injury prone. He's Premiership proven and should not need the dreaded adapting period of foreign players. That's surely worth 10/15 Million pounds. Doesn't seem to have the baggage of a high profile player. Should bring stability to our defence for 6/7 years.

Despite all of the above, I'm undecided and sitting on the fence for the sums quoted. He's a defender, not a player to get you off your seat in excitement. Insane investment for a defender for the money quoted.

George The Best

So no more gambles equals Maguire for 90m, just doesn’t make sense and goes back to my original point. What does a list of players tell you, you or I don't know who ticks same or more boxes, but it’s clear there’s plenty of good players out there and for less than 90m.
Not sure it will take £90m to get him. A lot depends if he really wants to be here, or prefers the other side of Manchester. Maguire is the only, possibly attainable, CB that would improve us imo. Don’t much care about the price, not my problem. I just want an improvement in central defence and I believe he will deliver that. Up to the business folks at the club to decide if we can afford him. Think we already know the answer to that.

This forum is really getting too hung up on prices imo. There’s people saying we are cheap skating on James and Longstaff, wishing us to spend more for those positions, whilst saying we might be overspending on Maguire, if we get him. I’d prefer we just target the right players for us and pay the going price. We’ve just bought a rookie RB for £50m but most seem happy with that. I’d suggest a full English International CB should be worth an awful lot more.

Price really is not my concern, that’s up to the owners and what they are prepared to pay. I’m more focussed on the asset we are obtaining and how they will improve us. Love them or hate them, the owners seem more than ready to open the cheque book.

George The Best

It's not Maguire's fault Leicester are asking for obscene prices. Maguire is no Rio, but a dependable defender who's better at actual football than all of our defenders and less injury prone. He's Premiership proven and should not need the dreaded adapting period of foreign players. That's surely worth 10/15 Million pounds. Doesn't seem to have the baggage of a high profile player. Should bring stability to our defence for 6/7 years.

Despite all of the above, I'm undecided and sitting on the fence for the sums quoted. He's a defender, not a player to get you off your seat in excitement. Insane investment for a defender for the money quoted.
Possibly true, but that’s the market these days. We’ve just spent £50m on a rookie RB.

AKDevil

As fans we watch and discuss football. Everyone has opinions but I’m sure we could all roughly agree or at least see the point of someone else if a list of players was presented and you were asked to decide who ticked certain boxes. I ask the question again ... who are these players? Please tell me. I’m not even really disputing there could be alternatives but in my humble opinion Maguire ticks most boxes. It sounds like you are saying there are plenty who would be better suited. If you chuck some of these names at me I might agree but I’m not hearing suggestions from anyone.

OohAahMartial

90 or 70m doesn't make much difference if we are selling Lukaku, and possibly Pogba or De Gea. We are cash rich, but poor in quality. Get him in for pre-season asap.

Dante

Average bang

VVD is the modern day Rio.

Maguire is fairly close to being the heir to Terry. He just needs the platform to show it.

I have no problem with paying whatever it takes. He's the missing piece for our defence. I care more about having a complete back 4 than the cost it'll take to get there.

We could pay £35m each for 2 centrebacks like Lindelof and Bailly, but neither would be as good as Maguire. The premium you pay for a single purchase at the next level is the cost of doing business. It's the difference between having 1 starter or 2 squad options.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we end up buying him for an obscene amount it will be an admission that Woodward fecked up last August when Jose was asking for him, at which point he would have cost less and in all likelihood helped improve a defense that was utter wank all season.

Still want Koulibaly though and definitely think Maguire is massively overpriced.

Andersons Dietician

If we end up buying him for an obscene amount it will be an admission that Woodward fecked up last August when Jose was asking for him, at which point he would have cost less and in all likelihood helped improve a defense that was utter wank all season.

Still want Koulibaly though and definitely think Maguire is massively overpriced.
How so? I mean by all reports last year they still wanted a fee that eclipsed VVD.
There was also a good chance that ED the Glazers had made up their mind that this was Jose’s last season so why give him lots of funds for layers when maybe the next manager might not want them.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We need 2 new players in the heart of the defence. Every one of our defenders is average at best and injury prone.
Agreed.

It'd be nice to get two, but 1 as good as Maguire and AWB is a good start to rebuilding our weak backline.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How so? I mean by all reports last year they still wanted a fee that eclipsed VVD.
There was also a good chance that ED the Glazers had made up their mind that this was Jose’s last season so why give him lots of funds for layers when maybe the next manager might not want them.
What, we were quoted 90m? I must have missed that. Please link if you can.

The second part of your reply highlights the dysfunctional structure of the club. If the player improves us in an area of serious weakness, that should be the first and main consideration. If they were already thinking of sacking Jose, then they should have done it sharpish. No point having a manager for months and months if you've decided to fire him, is it? Of course, that's speculation on your part, but hypothetically, you're doing the club damage by neutralising a manager you know you'll soon sack.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Really hope we get this one done sharpish, he wouldn't be my first choice but I fear if we don't get him we won't get anyone and we seriously need someone so yeah let's get it done. Sounds like 80m should do it so if we've bid 70m already just do it

Infra-red

How tall is this dude? Not as tall as Toby right? With Lindeloff there,we need height.
Alderweireld is appalling in the air. Weaker than Lindelof.

Maguire's aerial ability is probably his main strength. He'd be the best at the club in that regard.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Alderweireld is appalling in the air. Weaker than Lindelof.

Maguire's aerial ability is probably his main strength. He'd be the best at the club in that regard.
Isn't he the best in the league in that regard?

Infra-red

Isn't he the best in the league in that regard?
He won 4.1 aerial duels per 90 minutes in the Premier League last season, which places him among the top 10 CBs in that regard. His 77% success rate in aerial duels is better than any of the other CBs in that top 10 (Van Dijk is second on 74%, Smalling is seventh on 64%).

He's definitely one of the best in the league at winning headers.

Dazzmondo

Can't believe we're really going to spend this sort of crazy money on Maguire. Leicester fans are ecstatic about the deal which in itself should be a sign that this deal isn't going to end well. I wasn't impressed with Maguire whenever I watched him last season and most on the Leicester forum who of course saw every game of his thought he made loads of mistakes and about 50% of the forum seemed to think Evans had the better season of the 2 even before the rumours of him leaving began.

I find it hard to believe that none of Upamecano, Konaté, Romagnoli, Skriniar, Tah, Militao, Milenkovic, Zagadou, Dias would be available (maybe some aren't but not all of them). Considering how crazy this money already is would it not just make sense to pay Koulibaly's €150m (£134m) release clause? I'd say Koulibaly is easily worth £40m more than Maguire and he's a genuinely world class cb (probably the 2nd best after VVD). I don't mind whether we choose to go for Koulibaly or one of the cheaper young talents listed, either would be a good investment imo, however I am adamant that Maguire is absolutely not the way to go, certainly not for this price (and frankly I wasn't on board even when I thought the price was £60m)

I can already see it happening. We'll sign Maguire for £85m and he'll be viewed as a flop because our defence barely improves and he's prone to the odd mistake. Then next season we'll want whichever one of Soyuncu or Benkovic take his place for Leicester...

cfkane

It never ceases to amaze me how members of the Caf are always going on about the cost of players. The club has money, It's not our money, why do we care?

Dazzmondo

It never ceases to amaze me how members of the Caf are always going on about the cost of players. The club has money, It's not our money, why do we care?
If money is no issue why not just pay Koulibaly's release clause then? He's a far superior cb to Maguire

Valyth

If money is no issue why not just pay Koulibaly's release clause then? He's a far superior cb to Maguire
Just to be clear here, I'm not arguing that Maguire is a superior CB to Koulibaly, but I think it's a little more complicated than "just get this better player instead". At 28 Koulibaly is 2 years older than Maguire, he's probably desperate to play in the Champions League - which we can't offer. He's also unproven in the Premier League, which from the clubs perspective might very well make Maguire a safer buy.

manunited1919

Because there’s a limited amount of it for signing players. And we still need CB, RW, CDM, and possibly another CM and ST. There are good arguments that we need a RW more than a CB. We look to be going with Martial, Rashford & Lingard as our primary front line, which is not going to get us top 4.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
They had just given Mourinho an extension in January 2018.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Can't believe we're really going to spend this sort of crazy money on Maguire. Leicester fans are ecstatic about the deal which in itself should be a sign that this deal isn't going to end well. I wasn't impressed with Maguire whenever I watched him last season and most on the Leicester forum who of course saw every game of his thought he made loads of mistakes and about 50% of the forum seemed to think Evans had the better season of the 2 even before the rumours of him leaving began.

I find it hard to believe that none of Upamecano, Konaté, Romagnoli, Skriniar, Tah, Militao, Milenkovic, Zagadou, Dias would be available (maybe some aren't but not all of them). Considering how crazy this money already is would it not just make sense to pay Koulibaly's €150m (£134m) release clause? I'd say Koulibaly is easily worth £40m more than Maguire and he's a genuinely world class cb (probably the 2nd best after VVD). I don't mind whether we choose to go for Koulibaly or one of the cheaper young talents listed, either would be a good investment imo, however I am adamant that Maguire is absolutely not the way to go, certainly not for this price (and frankly I wasn't on board even when I thought the price was £60m)

I can already see it happening. We'll sign Maguire for £85m and he'll be viewed as a flop because our defence barely improves and he's prone to the odd mistake. Then next season we'll want whichever one of Soyuncu or Benkovic take his place for Leicester...
I think this post is spot on sadly. It is the most likely scenario based on last season. He didn't have a particularly good season and pretty sure he got dropped over bad form for a period mid season.

Having said that, he is a decent player, English, plays on the left, and he has qualities we supposedly lack. It is just that his top level and the mistakes in him puts him closer to our current options than what we ideally should be aiming for, especially at that price point.

markhughes

SAF transfer strategy was signing PL proven players and I can't recall any that was a clear failure, comparing to his oversea signings where the success rate was much lower.
Sorry did history rewrite itself?

Van nistelrooy
Ole
Schmichael
Stam
Evra
Vidic
Kanchelskis
Ronaldo
Veron (kinda)
Johnson
Silvestra
Park
Nani
Pogba (first time)
Chicha
De Gea
Cantona (hardly proven at the time)

I think he did ok.....

Hughes35

I think when Wenger said a few years ago that players running down their contracts to get a move is the only way a transfer would happen is spot on.

If a player wants a move after signing a 5 year contract then more fool them. Clubs in the PL don't need the money nowadays with all the money they get each year from the TV deals etc.

Maguire for £90m is not going to happen, its far too much money.! If he wants the move he should be putting pressure on Leicester to get it done. Maybe he is already behind the scenes. Who knows?

If the figure of £90m is non negotiable we are wasting our time. Move on..
Spot on. I think Wenger was right too. I said it in a thread a few weeks ago. I believe we are moving to a market where the big name player start to move for free at the end of their contracts.

The problem with however is that whilst I do believe it will produce some easing in the market for a couple of years, we will just start to see the sign on fees, wages and agent fees increase until we end up at a stage where it's the same as it is now. You will sign a player for "free" but then pay 70 million sign on bonus, 500K a week ages and 30 million to the agent.

Bojan11

Maybe because you know he doesn’t want to come here. We a shit show right now, why would he leave a stable champions league club like Napoli for us?

minh_loc_xoay

It would be funny if we leaked we bid for him to proper throw everyone off the scent and then, boom. De Ligt, announced in a blaze of glory, with Ed giving the finger to everyone like Maradona vs Nigeria.
Just like how Morata was destined to us and Lukaku was destined to Chelsea. Boom!
Maguire to Juventus and De Ligt to United confirmed, then. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.