Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redbandito

He can but can’t be relied upon. Had three seasons to do that and failed
Agreed, but if we have to retain one of those three to be a 4th or 5th back on the roster, I’d rather it be Bailly than Jones or Rojo.

CM

Leicester probably can't believe their luck. Mental.

izzydiggler

In isolation, it would be a huge overpayment for a decent/effective player. For me, his effectiveness will depend on his ability to form a partnership with someone (maybe Lindelof) and get the best out of him. Something we’ve lacked for a long time.

Oldyella

He can but can’t be relied upon. Had three seasons to do that and failed
Just try and move on all 3. They have all had chances but cant be relied upon. Maguire, Lindelof with Smalling and Tuanzebe as cover is fine.

Rocknrolla69er

When we signed Lukaku, I believe we also said among ourselves that he belonged to top 5 strikers in the Premier League. So I'm still skeptical regarding these "top in the league" label. Don't forget Sanchez also got "top 5 attackers in the league" attached to his name.

Sorry but we have been burned so many times that I have refrained myself from being overhyped at transfers... :nervous:
Maguires not Lukaku

RORY65

I've always thought of Maguire as quite slow on the turn (he does have decent top speed) and that's an issue with Lindelof as well so does this actually resolve anything or does it still mean that Smalling is going to end up playing? Not sure how Solskjaer can implement the pressing game he wants if he's got a centre back pairing susceptible to pace.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That's how I see it. The good thing is that even though the fee is steep, the player is alright.
Yeah, it stings a bit you’re not getting a VVD for that price, but he’s obviously still a good player.

binary bot
80m:lol: this will have a knock on effect on every future negotiation the club has

izec

£80m for Phil Jones with a corner gimmick that everyone worked out last summer.
He is not really similar to Jones, unless you mean white, English and hasnt got the top model looks going on. He is good on the ball and actually wins headers. Plus he isnt a sicknote. I dont get the frustration. Maguire for 50m and nobody would care, but 60m + 20m isnt good enough. Rather Maguire than no one, and he seems to be the guy Ole and the club want.

R'hllor

If this is true, we are biggest bunch of muppets, feck the money we spending, why they are hell bent to get him on the first place. Blindfolded and mental :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Really we needed a CB and it seemed certain we were going to have to overpay to get one relative to their percieved value here. Just get it done and move on to another position, I think. Indecision would nearly hurt us more than a bad decision.

kirk buttercup

Super stuff . He will quickly add steal to our Defence . With him and AWB we look a hell of alot better . Hopefully Axel gets time too

NotQuiteManc

How can you not mention Jones and fitness issues in the same sentence?
True, but when he is fit, Jones is more than capable defender. Just not the first 11 but squad rotation based player. Bailly and Rojo just because Jones has the "homegrown" quota advantage.

AgentSquirrel

So we're only actually paying £60 million and the rest is success dependent (which add ons normally are), in which case, no one will complain about the fee? As good as can be expected really.

IrishRedDevil

Please update the thread title to show its £60m + £20m potential add ons.

It’s bad enough the media inflating our transfer fees and including all add ons, without it happening on a United forum.

@Damien

tonnas

it is not 80m. It is 60m (most probably sructured) and 20m addons which may not be achieved!

lysglimt

Scout
And still Woodward will receive 2 tons of crap tomorrow...AWB, James and Maguire for a total for £145 m isn't that horrible in the current climate.

Judas

Open to offers
Wanted him a year ago, happy if this is to happen. At this moment in time, feck worrying about fees. We're in desperate need of players who can turn our fortunes around.

izec

If Napoli dont want to sell Koulibaly for under 120m or whatever it is and De Ligt doesnt want to play for us, thats what you got to do. Dont buy Maguire, club is a shambles for not improving CBs. Buy him, club is a shambles. Buy Diop for 60m, he is the French Smalling. Buy Milenkovic for 50m, we need experience etc etc.

Our CB situation is a mess, glad something gets done here.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
60m initial fee isn’t bad at all. Assuming the add-ons are performance related then he’ll have been worth it if he fulfills then.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Jesus Christ. This is our equivalent of Liverpool paying £35m for Andy Carroll.

Decent player, but come on...

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If Napoli dont want to sell Koulibaly for under 120m or whatever it is and De Ligt doesnt want to play for us, thats what you got to do. Dont buy Maguire, club is a shambles for not improving CBs. Buy him, club is a shambles. Buy Diop for 60m, he is the French Smalling. Buy Milenkovic for 50m, we need experience etc etc.

Our CB situation is a mess, glad something gets done here.
Exactly, not a world class signing. But without CL this is the best we can do . He still has one more gear to go. Maguire and Lindeloff would be brilliant on the ball. Maguire and Smalling would be bloody brilliant in air.

Patrick08

And still Woodward will receive 2 tons of crap tomorrow...AWB, James and Maguire for a total for £145 m isn't that horrible in the current climate.
It's the player he denied the manager last summer and wasted one full season in search for a better option and failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.